New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: When Belkar dies, will we see his afterlife

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Although judging by the Roy's scenes up there I'm not sure the stickyverse has quite as many afterlives as is official, but just one for each alignment. The three directors also support this idea.
    Well, there is this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    Right. But us? We have this elaborate system of rewards and punishments: heaven or hell, valhalla or the abyss, limbo or nirvana, or a dozen in-between.
    Really depends on Roy's Knowledge(The Planes) and how specific he was being with "dozen."

However, Hel seems to have her own afterlife that is separate from the generic alignment ones. I base this on the fact that apparently none of the other evil northern gods would gain power from Hel having all the dwarves. Who's to say the other gods don't have their own planes they spirit the particularly devout to?

Edit: There's also wherever the Dark One's army resides.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2016-02-26 at 10:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Who's to say the other gods don't have their own planes they spirit the particularly devout to?
    The Dwarf pantheon seems to roughly follow the Norse pantheon; those who die well (i.e. honorably) go to Valhalla/Asgard/whatever-it's-called-this-year, while the dishonored dead go to Hel's realm, namely, Hell. Hell may be just a badly run-down suburb of Valhalla, rather than its own separate plane. I'm not certain whether it's been spelled out in the strip whether Hel has authority over an entire plane, or just the part of the Dwarven plane where the dishonored dead go.

On the other hand, since it's not made clear one way or the other as I recall (although my memory is often wrong): Hell may well be a separate plane which is Hel's domain. And other gods may easily have planes of their own. The Dark One seems to have a plane of his own; did it exist prior to his rise, or did it come into existence because of the power of his followers' belief? If the latter, that opens the door to other specific afterlives. Certainly it would seem the Elves must have one, if the Dwarves do.

Edit: You ninja'd me regarding the Dark One, while I was typing this reply. Great minds clearly think alike.
    Last edited by Darth Paul; 2016-02-26 at 11:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

There is no dwarven pantheon. There is the Northern Pantheon, of which the dwarven demigod is a member. The elven gods are members of the Western Pantheon.

We saw in DStP that the LG souls of different world regions have their life review in different sides of the mountain. I would guess that each god has his domain somewhere in the plane appropriate to his alignment.
    "Really? The premature villain gloat? I'm a failure as a parent." - Loki, OotS #1012
    "The good news is that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing." - Blackwing, OotS #1020

4. - Top - End - #64

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    There is no dwarven pantheon. There is the Northern Pantheon, of which the dwarven demigod is a member. The elven gods are members of the Western Pantheon.

We saw in DStP that the LG souls of different world regions have their life review in different sides of the mountain. I would guess that each god has his domain somewhere in the plane appropriate to his alignment.
    So, do dwarves who move South or West go to a different plane when they die?

I would still argue that the Dwarven gods make up at least a distinct subset of the Northern Gods. Or, let's put it another way, if there are humans worshiping them anywhere, we haven't seen them yet. All the gods voting at the Moot appeared to be Dwarven gods/ Norse god equivalents... so much so that I would say the Northern Gods are the Dwarven gods. If not, where were all the rest?
    Namer Of MitD Threads

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post

I would still argue that the Dwarven gods make up at least a distinct subset of the Northern Gods. Or, let's put it another way, if there are humans worshiping them anywhere, we haven't seen them yet. All the gods voting at the Moot appeared to be Dwarven gods/ Norse god equivalents... so much so that I would say the Northern Gods are the Dwarven gods. If not, where were all the rest?
    There is ONE dwarf specific god: Dvalin. Half of the High Priests of the Gods are humans. 3 of the 7 High Priests of demigods in the moot are humans. The first temple we saw in the comic was Freya's, in a human village, with a human cleric. In Greysky City they have the Church of Loki, one of the priests of said church was helping Haley and Celia, and removed Belkar's Mark of Justice.

ETA: As for dying, Roy died in the South, and didn't end up stuck in the couple thousand long line. Durkon died in the West. If Vaarsuvius had been vampirized in the South, Nergal would have created vis vampire spirit. If Malack had vampirized Roy, I guess that Hel would have the same claim over him. The souls likely belong to the pantheon that created it. Namely, the pantheon of the region they were born. The races with specific Gods (or demigods) are a exception to this because their soul is created by the racial god, and belong to the pantheon of that god. And if a mortal worships a deity from a different pantheon of the one they were born under, then we would have to study the Godsmoot that was likely called about this.
    Last edited by Pyrous; 2016-02-27 at 12:43 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    There is ONE dwarf specific god: Dvalin. Half of the High Priests of the Gods are humans. 3 of the 7 High Priests of demigods in the moot are humans. The first temple we saw in the comic was Freya's, in a human village, with a human cleric. In Greysky City they have the Church of Loki, one of the priests of said church was helping Haley and Celia, and removed Belkar's Mark of Justice.
    You're absolutely right about the church of Loki... It's the relative scale of gods relating to each other that makes me think of them as all dwarves, plus we had only seen dwarves worshiping them; with the important exception that I had forgotten about. That was my mistake & I stand corrected.
    Namer Of MitD Threads

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Exceptions, plural. Besides the cleric of Loki and the temple of Freya, we've also just seen a bunch of gnomish priests of the very same northern gods.
    Last edited by hroşila; 2016-02-27 at 01:29 PM.
    ungelic is us

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

In other words, the dwarves worship the northern gods because they live in the north. This doesn't imply they are the bulk of their worshippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
    Perhaps the Belkster can multitask.
    I didn't mean choosing between fighting, eating, drinking and sexing, I meant choosing between doing all of those in Ysgard or spend eternity hunting stuff in the dark, noisy caverns of Pandemonium.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post

The Northen Gods ARE the Dwarven Gods. Dwarves have only one race-specific demigod.

However, I think that, if a dwarf converts to a different directional pantheon, he or she would fall out of the Northen Pantheon purview, and hence, outside of Hel's influence, and would go to different Afterlife after death.

Mmmm... time for dwarves to convert en masse to Adad's worship? Or Ishtar's, Or Marduk's. Shamash and Sin both seem cool deities.
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2016-02-27 at 03:08 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Firbolg in the Playground

If the dwarves all live in the same place, they probably all worship the same pantheon. If this were true, it wouldn't be wrong to say "dwarf gods" instead of "northern gods". However, we also have seen a dwergar in Azure City. He may have been a travelling merchant, but I wonder about his religion.

I think we give that much importance to the relationship between dwarves and their religion because we have seen a lot of cleric dwarves, and how their religion effects their lives, and we identify dwarf society with what is actually their religious society. The fact that they have special afterlives of which we know may give us more reason to identify a widespread religion as the dwarf religion.

In other words: maybe not-cleric dwarves are more similar to humans, from a religious perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    I didn't mean choosing between fighting, eating, drinking and sexing, I meant choosing between doing all of those in Ysgard or spend eternity hunting stuff in the dark, noisy caverns of Pandemonium.
    Mr. Scruffy is good at doing his redemption thing, but he's nowhere near "undo 2 kilonazis in under a year" good. As Lord Soon said, "redemption is a rare and special thing".

I think the best that Belkar can hope for is a trip to the Abyss and place in the armies in Eternal Battle. Maybe in a few millennia he will take his proper place as the "sexy, shoeless, god of war". No idea if he would think the Snarl would be worse. From the looks of it, Xykon is willing to take absolute destruction (the eventual fate of a lich, and presumably similar to death by snarl) over the long painful transformation of souls into parts of the Abyss.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

My crazy theory is that Tiamat, and thus the Oracle, can't see past the rift into the other world. At first I thought Belkar would sacrifice himself by pulling Durkon into the portal to get Snarled. The more I think about it though, the more I think what will happen is Belkar (and possibly Durkon and/or the Order) go through the portal and Belkar stays there. That would fulfill the prophecy as pedantically as possible, and allow Rich to do some exposition about the other world.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I don't think we'll get to see Belkar's "afterlife" at all, but rather his unlife. Consider the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle "on the record" in Strip #572
    Belkar will draw his last breath -- ever -- before the end of the year.
    Now we all know what a fondness the Oracle has for exact wording. And back at the start of the current book, when the Order were still in the gnome town (the name of the place escapes me), wasn't there a big show when Roy and Lurkon were going around to the local temples in #982/#984 about how the undead don't really breathe at all?

The combination of the two has me believing that Belkar will probably get vampirified, and the most likely time for that to happen is in a desperate push to take down Lurkon and his associated spawn before more damage can be done in the dwarven homelands. Since Belkar's already Evil-aligned, his soul wouldn't be overridden by another one the way that Durkon was hijacked by Lurkon, or if Belkar does get a vampire soul, it and his normal one will probably get along famously with so many things to agree on.

Actually, now that I think about it, vampirification would probably synergize fantastically with Belkar's desire to be a more powerful barbarian, thanks to increased physical strength, and even the ability to change form into a bat, wolf, etc. would be a boon to a ranger (as opposed to Durkon, where vampirification was a drawback to his clerical abilities).

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Belkar is also "not long for this world".
    ungelic is us

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

The dwarves seem to be under a unique and exclusive divine curse.

They must worship Thor, and must additionally die in battle, or they automatically go to Hel's domain to be tormented for eternity.

Worse yet, this isn't just a theory. The gods are demonstrably real and present, and one can Plane Shift to confirm the conditions of the afterlife.

Their situation is quite horrifying, actually. (Of course, if this were anything like realistic, their society would have imploded long ago; and if it somehow didn't, it would be filled with constant fatal duels and berserkers, and would be a belligerent, conquering, extremely bellicose and hostile culture. Luckily, it's a D&D comic, so having an insane doom like that just produces a bunch of slightly grumpy, hard-working people with pseudo-Scottish accents. )
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Belkar is also "not long for this world".
    Sure, but only in #572 which I quoted did the Oracle speak about Belkar "on the record" in his whole glowy-aura, green-speech-bubbles routine. I would tend to say that's the real prophecy, as opposed to some offhand comment made while not on record.
    Last edited by TheNecrocomicon; 2016-04-01 at 08:04 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    Sure, but only in #572 which I quoted did the Oracle speak about Belkar "on the record" in his whole glowy-aura, green-speech-bubbles routine. I would tend to say that's the real prophecy, as opposed to some offhand comment made while not on record.
    Why? If you're assuming the Oracle is lying some of the time when he says Belkar's a goner, why the arbitrary line between "this might be a lie, this isn't"?

18. - Top - End - #78

Thematically that doesn't make much sense to retread the exact same vampire plot with Belkar that Durkon just had. This isn't Order of the Vampires. In my opinion, any ending that results in a still evil Belkar walking around sort of defeats the entire point of his slow path to redemption.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    Define "real prophecy."
    Last edited by Peelee; 2016-04-01 at 11:56 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

20. - Top - End - #80

If we want to go that far down the exact wording rabbit hole and ignore unofficial hints at it (savor his next birthday cake, etc), then it becomes possible for Belkar to change his name and dodge the prophecy. Or if the oracle is referring to the entity known as Belkar, if he somehow finds redemption, then he's not really the same Belkar now is he? I've seen prophecies gotten out of with similar "loopholes" before, though I doubt the giant would stretch the wording that far.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle
    Belkar will draw his last breath-ever-before the end of the year.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2016-04-01 at 10:07 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    If we want to go that far down the exact wording rabbit hole and ignore unofficial hints at it (savor his next birthday cake, etc), then it becomes possible for Belkar to change his name and dodge the prophecy. Or if the oracle is referring to the entity known as Belkar, if he somehow finds redemption, then he's not really the same Belkar now is he? I've seen prophecies gotten out of with similar "loopholes" before, though I doubt the giant would stretch the wording that far.
    To you as well: define "official prophecy."
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Default When Belkar dies, will we see his afterlife

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    The dwarves seem to be under a unique and exclusive divine curse.

They must worship Thor, and must additionally die in battle, or they automatically go to Hel's domain to be tormented for eternity.
    Uh, you got part of that dead wrong. There are other Gods, like Loki and Odin, who the dwarves worship. Odin's high priest also figures in OoTS.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

But are we sure Belkar is going to die? The Oracle said he would "draw his last breath ever before the end of the year", but that doesn't mean he's going to die. We know from comic #982 that vampires don't need to breathe. Maybe he'll just become a vampire...

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Black Socks View Post
    But are we sure Belkar is going to die? The Oracle said he would "draw his last breath ever before the end of the year", but that doesn't mean he's going to die. We know from comic #982 that vampires don't need to breathe. Maybe he'll just become a vampire...
    Well, I'm repeating myself from five posts ago, but thematically that doesn't make much sense to retread the exact same vampire plot with Belkar that Durkon just had. This isn't Order of the Vampires. And we know that a vampire is an evil spirit inhabiting the body, so it's very unlikely that the one that inhabits Belkar would be any more likely to work with the Order than Durkon's was, so you'd be right back at the same "We have to stop our evil vampire team mate" plot line we're currently in.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Uh, you got part of that dead wrong. There are other Gods, like Loki and Odin, who the dwarves worship. Odin's high priest also figures in OoTS.
    True, I was wrong on that. But they still have the stupid "die in battle" thing, for some reason.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    No, Belkar is a sadistic monster and hasn't really stopped.
    What sadistic, monstrous behavior has Belkar engaged in in the current book?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    How about the last panel?
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    True, I was wrong on that. But they still have the stupid "die in battle" thing, for some reason.
    Probably because of the mentioned and unspecified deal between Hel and Thor, but also just because the dwarves believe in their honor system. Rich has mentioned that humans who hold a strong belief in an honor system would also need to die honorably to avoid Hel, but we can probably assume that very few humans do.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    The current book has covered, what, a week of in-world time?

30. - Top - End - #90

To you as well: define "official prophecy."
    When the oracle does that weird green speech balloon thing. Anything you'll remember while passing through the memory charm (not counting being banished past it).

Off hand comments the oracle makes when not doing that still might be true, he is an oracle after all, but he'd be under no obligation to tell the truth. Though because he seems to assume his little charm is completely foolproof he probably isn't lying in any of his offhand comments, there would be little to no point.

Spoiler: Crazy Theory
    Show
    That is, unless he did in fact know Roy would get past the memory charm when he was banished and so he tried to plant seeds of a specific interpretation of the prophecy about Belkar, for... some reason. Maybe fate isn't fixed and he wants to make sure Belkar never gets raised, or prophecies are sort of a toss up between the interpretations until one of them happens or something. All highly unlikely I think.