New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A simple meeting [IC]

Quote Originally Posted by Sønderjye View Post
    "Even if what you said, which is quite presumptious of you, was true then I am worried about the principle here. Someone finds something that the crown wants and then they'll have to sell it to a price that the crown wants and if they don't want to sell or find the price too low the crown will take it by force. " Molboh says before sighing: "I'm not trying to persuade you to not to take the offer, that's your choice entirely but do you really not see a problem in this attitude?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Just noting that this conversation happens before Cornwall makes the offer we are discussing IC
    "There you go. My thoughts exactly."

Show
    Oooops. And here I thought there had been a tacit timeskip

Spoiler: Links & GitP Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post
    It's come to my attention that some people don't know how to pronounce the name of the deity Fharlanghn. It's simple though - you begin with a Ff- sound, then flap your mouth at random as sounds come out. Continue for 2-90 seconds, depending on devoutness and saliva levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    I think this is the most civil battle between Good and Evil I've ever seen...
    10 Commandments of Op./Practical Op.
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    What's a tacit timeskip?
    I just assumed that we were done with our initial meeeting and wanted to use this thread to talk about something without the prying eyes of Cornwall.
    During the beginning of the feat would be the first time we would get a chance to all speak.

Edit: Looked tacit up, silly me.
    What I meant was the current discussion where Cornwall have sent the natives away to discuss.
    So there was a timeskip till the beginning of the feast, I just wanted to emphasize that it's before he has opened the possibility that we might get more than 500 gold pieces.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2016-04-30 at 03:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sønderjye View Post
    Show
    What's a tacit timeskip?
    I just assumed that we were done with our initial meeeting and wanted to use this thread to talk about something without the prying eyes of Cornwall.
    During the beginning of the feat would be the first time we would get a chance to all speak.
    Show
    Oh, wait, got it now

Timeskip is, well, a handwaved passing of time. Like "Later that evening..."

Tacit means "silent" (from the latin tacere, i.e.: to shut up)

That means, there had been an passage of time we had silently agreed to

Show
    It's come to my attention that some people don't know how to pronounce the name of the deity Fharlanghn. It's simple though - you begin with a Ff- sound, then flap your mouth at random as sounds come out. Continue for 2-90 seconds, depending on devoutness and saliva levels.
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

"This is after all the crowns' land, it belongs to the King first, then to us. Everything we find is going to belong to the King, and we live on his land by his grace. It's the way it's always been. If the Lord wants the cave for his own purposes I have no problem giving away any claim I might have. He is willing to compensate us to smooth all this over after all.

I'm not sure what is presumptuous, I've met your people and I can't remember anyone being miners by profession. Perhaps I'm wrong? How are you going to exploit value you see in the cave?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Molboh looks at Martin thoughtfully: "So would you also not have if the Cornwall suddenly decided that the crown wants the ground you are building your home on for his own purposes? Does your followers feel similar?"

His brow furrows, as if something doesn't add up: "It's presumptuous to think that you think you know all abilities of everyone. I don't remember you ever asking me for my profession but of course I don't know how much you have talked to the others. Or am I wrong, have you spoken in dept with everyone other than me?"

"It doesn't make sense to talk about how I am going to exploit the mine when we don't know what there is to exploit."

6. - Top - End - #36

"As long as we were compensated fairly for what we've built on the land then I would have no issue with it. I suspect neither would the people who look to me for leadership. The Royal Charter that we live under states that we are owners of the land we build on, though we must recognize Cornwall, and ultimately the King's authority over us and by extension the land we live on. Of course Cornwall has done nothing to suggest he is going to do something as foolish as all that.

I spoke with most of the people here during our sea voyage, there are scarcely 90 of us and it was a very, very long voyage after all. Didn't take long to get a rough estimate of everyone's skills and knowledge. I suppose it's possible someone with-held information, but I don't see why they would. We're all here to build a place of profit and comfort for everyone after all aren't we?

Though I also don't pretend to understand those strange crystals many of your people have hovering about, strange magics those things are. Could be capable of all sorts of things. Whatever value there is in that cave, it lies in the stone, the metal or ore within it. That strange creature we saw at the end of it only complicates things but it would have to be protecting something, I'm sure. Some sort of holy site perhaps."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

"Up until today I would have agreed with you" Molboh responds, "But what Atlan implied, that they were willing to take the cave by force if we didn't sell, suggests precisely that."

"I see" He responds: "I apologize for misjudging you, it just appeared strange to me that you had asked for everyone's profession but never mine. Nevertheless you are correct, there are no miners ammonst those who came with me from Albion but I know a few who would be interested in taking the next ship and helping out in a mine."

"Crystals?", he asks not entirely sure what Martin means.

8. - Top - End - #38

"You should understand that you are not selling anything. You have a claim to the resources of the cave yes, but that is not the same as ownership. We all have claims but we shouldn't mistake that for a monopoly.

He has offered to compensate us for the hard work we put into the exploration and expulsion of the creatures within. As Cornwall and Alnas has suggested, they could simply march in there and start taking out whatever it is they wish and you wouldn't be able to stop them, I suggest you attempt to negotiate a solution right here tonight or risk getting nothing but grey hairs over the matter.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

"From what I gathered, he said that, if we didn't give up the claim, we'd have to negotiate compensation for every their action. That sounds pretty good to me, to be honest."

Show
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

"I agree, letting the crown pay something like 1/3 of the raw material value each time they extract resources from the cave and splitting those 40% evenly between those who has a claim to the cave. Or some other number."