New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: [3.5, Solo] A Fey in the Life

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Unless something drastic has changed, the Dyad is Kelvon, the priest of Hextor, and Rhestvin Farreach, the St. Cuthbert representative. The first is a Human, the second a Dwarf. Both were in their prime when you left, and so are almost certainly still ruling.

The High Priest of Hextor here is Sendar, a Human. His son, Sendar the Lesser, is the second in the chain of command. Sendar is known for his brilliant strategic military mind, while his offspring is famous for his skill on a different battlefield; that of the courts. He is the temple's major diplomat and has orchestrated several important alliances. Sendar the Lesser is much less popular in the temple, for obvious reasons.

The High Priest of St. Cuthbert here is Gransh, a Half-Orc.

There are, obviously, a large number of lesser prelates and acolytes, along with more secular members of the temples. Of note in Hextor's service are Berin, a Goliath who serves as the Temple's Champion and trainer, Helvar, a Dwarf who serves as the Treasurer, and Mestin, a Halfling who is known for her internally-unrivaled ability as a Diviner.

At the temple, you are allowed in without question. You are recognized immediately, despite your long absence.

Inside the temple courtyard, Iron Berin, considered by many to be the greatest warrior in Hextor's service, trains the newest crop of converts. His glare is enough to inspire something akin to courage in these boys. Berin notices you as you enter. You receive a rare piece of acknowledgement from a person famous for his ability to go weeks without so much as speaking: eye contact and a nod.

Entering through the doors into the temple proper, you are surrounded by men and women in black robes and armor, adorned with six arrows or gray skulls. Several nod or bow to you when they recognize you as they go about their business. Most are meditating or praying, a few are carrying goods, and at least a handful are heading out on missions of some sort. The room itself is large and unadorned, save for a single huge banner at the far end displaying the iron fist grasping six arrows on a field of red. A small iron altar sits beneath the banner. A podium, empty, dominates the room, and is surrounded by hard iron pews.

After a few moments, one of the acolytes hurries out of the room through one of the many iron doors. Moments later, the door opens and Sendar the Lesser appears. He smiles and approaches, offering a brief bow.

"Valdis Acre, Hextor with me. I trust your travels have gone well, with our lord's blessing? Welcome home. Will you be staying long?"

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

"It is thanks to the teachings of our lord and his ever-vigilant guidance that I return to you at all," Valdis bows his head. "My travels have been varied, shall we say. For the most part unexciting, general mercenary work showing the brunt of a flail to barbarian fools who don't appreciate good violence. But in only the past few days things have become rather more involved, and I find myself in somewhat over my depth. It is a matter which at heart does not concern me, but between the rampant dishonesty and disregard for structure displayed on both sides of the conflict along with personal disrespect shown to me and inconsideration to my cause, I feel obligated to see it through to the end and stand on top in a manner which proves with iron that Hextor's might is greater than that of Fey, or Old Magicks. Forgive me, I'm getting ahead of myself."

Valdis will proceed to tell Sendar the Lesser everything of his travels in the past week, not laboring on details too long but making sure every salient point is covered, from his arrival in Iresi to his dealings with Denela all the way to here. He'll go with Sendar to a more enclosed room if need be.

"At present, however," Valdis concludes, "I would appreciate a study to pray for an hour and then a bed where I may recover. Today above all has been quite eventful."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Sendar listens attentively through your description offering perfectly times responses, but verbal and non, throughout. His sympathetic noises, angry head shakes, and encouraging nods make him very easy to talk to.

When you finish, he nods. "That is quite the adventure, Valdis. You are welcome to a private room as long as you are here, naturally. Your personal quarters have been used by others, I'm sure you understand. We've been growing rapidly of late."

With that, he leads you into a barracks-like area, full of bunks, some of which have sleeping bodies in them. Past this, a long hallway lined with identical bedrooms. Finally, a small hexagonal chamber, each with doors leading to private suites. He offers you one of these.

The room is comfortable, with a thick mattress, clean washbasin, and small closet. There is even an altar against one wall. Hextor's symbols adorn everything.

"If you need anything, merely ask. I will report your narrative to my father, who will undoubtedly want to meet with you come dawn. Rest well."

4. - Top - End - #244

MindFlayer

"I appreciate it greatly. Please fetch me as soon as it is convenient for you and your father."

Valdis moves to his room and sits to rest for his long-overdue meditation. Adrenaline wears off and he finds himself severely fatigued, but he thinks that Hextor is likely proud that he stuck to his convictions in the face of bribery and threat from both sides of this squabble. He returns to his more usual spell selection, as the over-emphasis on offense from this past day worked against him when he needed versatility and utility in the forest.

He wonders what has become of Anori. He really does need to head back to Tenelan sooner or later. Odds are, probably later.

His prayers finished, he sheds his armor and all but collapses onto the mattress to sleep through the night and wake early in the morning.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

The night passes quickly on a moderately comfortable mattress. You're greeted at dawn by a knock at your door.

A servant informs you that the Sendars will see you in their receiving room. The man departs, trusting you to find your way.

The layout of the fortress is, unsurprisingly, exactly as your remember it. Corridors run in straight lines. Every door is iron and fitted with a lock. Each corner is adorned by a steel sconce, making the deeper passageways hot and acrid with smoke. The floors are covered in rugs or left plain stone. Everything is hard, unforgiving, and solid.

Just past the major dining hall, where hundreds of men eat and drink in preparation for the day, you enter a smaller room with a table fit for a dozen people. Currently, the two Sendars and one man you do not recognize are seated at it. A spread of cold meats, boiled eggs, and smoked fish covers the table, the the three are well into their meals already.

The Elder nods as you enter. "Valdis Acre. Good of you to return home, son."

The Lesser smiles. "I have told my father of your adventures. We now wonder why you have returned, though, if your Hector-granted guidance to oppose these river-folk factions is not yet complete?"

You sense mostly actual curiosity in his question, but there is, without a doubt, some small sliver of challenge or accusation.

6. - Top - End - #246

MindFlayer

Valdis enters into the dining hall and does not restrain himself from tucking into the various preserves, nostalgic for the intense and powerful flavor of heavily salted fish and meats. He remains unperturbed by the Lesser Sendar's accusation. It's more posturing that he's come to expect from a man used to living in another's shadow. Valdis is somewhat mollified by the Lesser's mortifying slip of the tongue.
    "A pleasure to be back, your Holiness," Valdis responds to the Elder Sendar. "As I said to your son it is sooner than I expected, but not without purpose. I would like to think I did the name of Hextor proud these past few days. I emerged victorious in every battle I engaged in despite lacking numbers, support, or tactical advantage of familiar terrain. And I have personally brought awareness of the threat that even a single member of the clergy of the Herald of Hell brings to the battlefield, a threat that neither an empress nor a prince previously took into consideration. I was disappointed, as I expect your son has informed you, that Empress Kryliona does not appreciate the position of the Fey's weakened defenses as much as I expect you do. She has no intention to strike while the iron, and the Valto, are hot. But perhaps it is for the best, as my experiences have left me with little confidence in the grit and mettle of soldiers in her employ. Confidence which I do hold in the warriors of Blansk, crusaders of the Cudgel and the Scourge of Battle.

My intention is to remain here only briefly to assemble a fighting force fit to storm the lawless Valto, as they have personally slighted our cause. The position of the Empress in this is still hazy, and I hope also to employ the aid of researchers to better figure out the capabilities of our new prey. If Kryliona proves herself capable of retaining power over her empire, then by our doctrines she is fit to have it and I do not oppose her. If not...then not. Yesterday afternoon she proved incapable of fighting a mundane fire as part of a Fey terrorist attack, despite the wealth of resources at her fingertips. I think you as well as I can see the direction the wind is blowing."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

The three other men eat in silence as you speak. When you stop, Sendar sets down his knife and folds his fingers beneath his chin, fixing you with an intense stare. His son immediately stops eating as well, but the third man continues on.

After a long pause, Sendar speaks. "How many men would you request follow you south? And, supposing I gave them to your command, what would you do with them? If you are successful, what then? Will you destroy the Fey? Cede control of the wood to this empress? Rule the Fey? Oppose Kryliona?

"You must understand, I cannot send warriors of Hextor off against every lawless society of barbarians in the world. We would become spread far too thin and Blansk would collapse. I need to be sure this is worth our while."

8. - Top - End - #248

MindFlayer

"Ideally I would prefer quality over quantity. A select team of warriors and priests reliable in the face of martial combat and mental assault. The end result ideally would be the complete razing of that useless Valto, the extermination of all Fey who refuse to be subjugated to our command (and I expect that to be all of them), and potentially the deposition of Kryliona if she continues to prove an unfit ruler incapable of keeping hold of her empire.

However, I leave the matter to you, my betters. I had wondered if these supposed 'Old Magicks' would be of benefit to our cause, if they are as formidable as the mage Tuelu suggests they are. If you determine this endeavor against either or both the Fey or the Empress to be undeserving of the time and efforts of the church, then only say the word and consider the matter dropped."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Sendar is already shaking his head before you finished speaking.

"You have long since gained my trust, Valdis. Clearly this matter is important to you, and I, without the benefit of having been on the ground, will not overrule your decision. That way lies defeat for our forces."

He pauses for a moment.

"That said, I fear I cannot spare more than a handful of soldiers. We have recently begun to annex the territories of a particularly rambunctious group of Centaurs, so most of our strongest are deployed.

"I am curious about these powers wielded by Kryliona, though. Where did they come from? If she is as mighty as your contact in Iresi claims, then she could be a lethal enemy. Or an incredibly useful ally.

"I will find for you three soldiers. I also give you permission to Bind a Devil or two if you feel the need. You may call on the church's contract, or resources, to barter with them. You will return, and do as you please with the Fey. Mold them to your will, destroy them, ignore them, align yourself with them, I don't particularly care. Try not to destroy the entire ecosystem of the Valto, though. Our current wars are against several nations, and it would be more than a little unfortunate if they formed common cause against us over something as trivial as a bonfire hundreds of miles to the south. The Fey, though, are far beyond our borders and not of immediate concern. As for the empress... Find out all that you can about her. If her powers come from an outside source, find out if it can be channeled to benefit us, then cut her off from it. If she relies on such auxiliary means of strength, she is not deserving of her rulership. If it is a personal power, perhaps hereditary, then ascertain her true allegiances, her goals. You have the full authority of the Church of Hextor. Make us an ally or annihilate our enemies in Iresi.

"If she seems open to an alliance, issue a Sending. My son will take care of the details. You belong in the field, not a meeting room."

Sendar turns to the third man who was here when you arrived.

"Anything to add, Aurinius?" The man pauses with a mouthful of food, ponders a moment, then shakes his head. He swallows quickly, then says, "Good luck to you. Let justice be served to those who oppose order."

He immediately returns to his meal.

Show
    Regarding the Binding: You're aware the church has a longstanding agreement with Devils (and other Outsiders) who worship Hextor. In exchange for the service they provide for the Herald of Hell, the church expects decent discounts in bartering with LE Outsiders in his service.
    Last edited by JBarca; 2016-05-07 at 09:04 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250

MindFlayer

Show
    Hey, a heads up. So I have every intention of continuing this game, but I've got a few hiccups on the road ahead of me. I may be selected for jury duty tomorrow which would largely take me out of commission for around two weeks, and then I'll have about two weeks freer, but then on June 7th I'll be making an intercontinental move to Denmark. The farm I'll be working on has WiFi so if all works out then I can still be a part of this, but please be patient if I end up a little slow.

Obviously this is also pertinent to the KSBO game.
    Last edited by Nettlekid; 2016-05-09 at 05:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Show
    Hey, not a problem. I have finals, graduation, moving, and my wedding (plus subsequent honeymoon) coming up over the next month/45 days, so my posting rate could take a severe hit as well. Thanks for the update. We'l just plan on few (if any) posts until everything settles down.

12. - Top - End - #252

MindFlayer

Show
    Oh, congratulations! And perfect, it's good that we can both stand to take a breather at the same time. Definitely interested in picking it back up when we have time though.

13. - Top - End - #253

MindFlayer

"I agree with your caution, sir, and I think that a period of thorough investigation is to our best interest at this time. Forewarned, forearmed. Interactions between the Fey and the Empress in the past as well as their current motivations are of interest to me, and I believe contain clues that we can make use of. Perhaps another inquiry with Denela, the ex-district leader of Tenelan, would be in order. Apart from the Empress herself (presumably) he was the first to interact with the Fey, including Fesselleth who tried to partner with myself. It would be handy to know who put them in connection. I am as curious as you about the Empress' Old Magicks, but I am similarly at a loss. I find it hard to imagine they are not in some way related to the Fey, only due to improbability of two great and obscure powers lurking the shadows, although there was suggestion of Outsider influence. I am inclined to investigate the mage city of Noimon for answers, although the mage Tuelu who initially told me of the Old Magicks suggested wisely that it be best not to draw attention to that research.

In any case, fear not, I do not intend to act rashly at present. I will employ my own skill with Divination to answer some of these questions, and seek the aid of Mestin or her aides and apprentices if she is occupied. I may take you up on the offer to bind a Devil, as they may be the most knowledgeable about narrowing down the nature of the Old Magicks if Outsiders are involved. I personally prefer not to consort with them too much myself as while they are respectable enough not to outright lie, they do not have honor and they are free in twisting their words. I warned that man Denela of similar.

I will do a little more digging. If I come up with anything fruitful, you will be the first to know."
    Valdis returns to finish this meal. He wishes he knew who Aurinius is, but feels as though it is not his place to ask.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

"This Denela does sound useful. He is the man imprisoned by the empress currently, yes? Will you be able to speak with him without incurring the wrath, personal or official, of Kryliona? If she is as powerful as that mage warned, it would be unfortunate to provoke her before you are fully prepared. Not that I fear for your safety, naturally. But the soldiers I will send with you may be at risk and I won't see their lives thrown away.

"Devils are powerful, if complicated, tools as you know. I understand your trepidation. If you intend to enslave a Devil on less then amiable terms, perhaps utilize one who is not directly in service of our lord."

Sendar stands. "If there's nothing else? Son, Aurinius." They stand, though Aurinius casts one last disappointment-filled glance at his plate first.

"Good to see you, Valdis. Hextor with you on your journey. If you have need of anything else, my son will take care of matters. I leave for the front this afternoon. It's high time I see the men. Fare well."

With a nods, the three depart, leaving you alone with the food.
    Last edited by JBarca; 2016-05-17 at 11:50 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255

MindFlayer

Taking his time to appreciate food better than his everlasting trail rations, Valdis eventually finishes the meal and sits back to itemize the affairs he should take care of, and the current assets to his cause. He has perhaps three or so warrior priests as himself to rely on from the church, and although he has yet to see or select any he can count each to be as strong as Denela, not Denela's guards. He'll have the aid of a Devil if he wants it, and while he hopes not to rely on one too fully he'll be thankful for the aid if he does need an Outsider opinion. He has the mage Tuelu, even if Tuelu can't act too openly, for advice or the odd discreet spell. Arcane assistance is a rarer commodity among the clergy. He suspects he can win Denela over if he can get to the man, but Sendar's warning is sound and Valdis doesn't expect that the Empress will be too open to that discussion. And he still has Anori, with whom he reestablishes his mental link, in his thrall for perhaps another week. Anori wasn't the one for the job, but it reminded Valdis that he could probably use a man inside the Iresi courts as a spy. He'd like the same for the Fey, but there is no one who the Fey would trust that Valdis would as well. When last he mentally contacted the man, Anori seemed to be in distress. Valdis wonders why. Perhaps he had just been restrained for the duration of the Domination effect, if Timseo had recognized it but been unable to remove it. Hm, Timseo, now there's a thought. That Sorcerer had been vaguely scornful that Kryliona was staying so close to her family when appointing district leaders. He was a proud and volatile sort, but Valdis wouldn't count him out just yet.

That was all his aid, as it stood. Not a tremendous number, and a little too weighted toward frontal assault and force rather than tact and nuance. His foes were dealing heavily in trickery, and while he wouldn't stoop to that level he would need someone who could go toe to toe on that front to at the very least identify when they were being had. He'd need a more flexible mind. Put that on the list along with the spy, if they were not to be the same person.

For now, Valdis goes to seek out Mestin, the diviner. He could not adequately prepare his forces if he did not know what he faced. The strength of the Fey was still a fearsome unknown, as is the nature or origin of the Empress' Old Magicks. He'd employ his own divinations as well, but if he couldn't learn truth through them then Mestin might be able to, and if neither could then perhaps she could point him to the Devil he ought to bind in order to find that answer. He hopes he won't have to Plane Shift to Baator to actually deal with some personally, but he doesn't rule out the possibility. While he heads to Mestin's abode, he reaches out to Tuelu by their shared telepathic link.
    Mage Tuelu, it is I, Valdis. I am secure among my peers in Blansk, and they are amenable to providing what aid they can, as I figured they would be. How fare you in Iresi? Have the fires subsided, and what damage remains? Have the Fey launched another attack? Has the Empress addressed this one?

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Anori remains as he was when you last restored your connection: trapped, nervous, uncomfortable.

As you walk down the hallways to the Diviners' wing, you find the temple much as you left it. Armed guards protect armories and smithies. Soldiers patrol the halls. Everything has a stern, nearly spartan, feel to it. Those clerics and soldiers old enough to remember you nod in greeting as they step aside to give you deference. The younger generation merely eye you warily as they pass.

Tuelu's response comes after only a moment.

I am pleased to hear of your safety and the potential aid. Will they offer you an army to fight her, or assassins? Or are they more interested in the Fey?

I have not yet returned to Iresi. I opted for a brief respite in Noimon. The Concord has been made aware of the events in Patostathos, but, unsurprisingly, they do not seem to care much. I'll update you when I know more. Luck.

You soon arrive at a gated complex within the temple proper. Within, a number of rooms contain crystal balls, silvered mirrors, basins of water, altars, mounds of incense, and a large assortment of other Divination-related foci and materials. When you pass the gate, you feel your connection to Tuelu weaken. You can still feel his presence, but nothing comes back along the bond. The Diviners' wing is clearly warded from Divinations, though the spells can easily be sent from within.

You quickly locate Mestin. As always, she appears more youthful than she did when you last saw her. Although she officially uses some magic to appear young, acolytes often spread the rumor that she ages backward. Preposterous, of course, but no one has had the courage to ask her themselves.

She is apparently in her mid thirties, with a sharp widow's peak, pointed nose, and small mouth giving her a very stern appearance. Although she only wears a simple black robe and stands barely 30 inches tall, she carries herself with dignity. She stands surrounded by a number of her apprentices, watching as one of their number struggles to read the thoughts of her peers. Despite, or perhaps because of, her intense skill and value to the Church, Mestin spends much of her time instructing new Diviners.

With the crowd, she doesn't seem to notice your arrival. When the current apprentice fails to detect even the most obvious of thoughts, Mestin shakes her head and gestures for another to try. She then turns and inclines her head.

"Acre. Tell me how I can help you."

17. - Top - End - #257

MindFlayer

"If you do not already know, perhaps I am not speaking to the right woman for the job," Valdis smiles. It is infrequent that he makes a joke.
    "I seek divinatory aid in a few directions, not least of which involve discerning a few motives and machinations of otherwise inscrutable minds and the origin or general nature of powers lost to history. Or perhaps a nod to a name of someone that would know, if these are too thoroughly shielded. I will wait though, I intend to take up a considerable amount of your time and this is a matter best dealt with privately."

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Mestin looks more than a little excited.

"Oh, these young fools? They can teach themselves. But you sound like you have a challenge for me! I am more than a little interested. Come!"

She begins to walk down the hallway, ignoring the exaggerated sighs and frowns from her students.

"I hope I can help you, but most of my powerful spells are no longer available today. I will absolutely do what I can today, then we can talk again tomorrow when Hextor grants me more appropriate divinations."

She leads you to her office. Books line the walls, and a case filled with dozens of potions sits atop her desk. Various divination foci and components lie strewn across a small table. A rack piled high, nearly overflowing, with scrolls sits in front of one bookshelf. Mestin closes the door, pushes a pile of loose paper off a chair, and points you to it. She sits behind her desk, folds her hands under her chin, and raises her eyebrows in expectation.

19. - Top - End - #259

MindFlayer

"There is no rush, time does not seem to be of the essence. Our potential enemies appear to be ageless. They usually say to strike while the iron is hot, but in this case I think a Cold Iron may be more to our taste."

Valdis explains his situation to Mestin, focusing less on the political aspect and more on the nature of his travel through the Valto and how his Find the Path had been obscured, how it appeared that no Divinations could pierce the field of the Hall of the Watching Green or locate the stolen soldiers, the dual responses to his Divination that encouraged him either to ally with the Verdant Princes or burn the Valto, and his use of Identify Transgressor to find Fesselleth's name. He mentions he has two doses of Vodare still available if need be. He also describes everything Tuelu told him about the Empress' Old Magicks, and how peculiarly she had acted when he was leaving.
    "If I had to pick one thing I'd like your aid with more than anything, it is these Old Magicks. They are as of now the greatest unknown, and the ones which I think will be most cunningly guarded. When it comes to the Fey we can expect Druidic magic and excessive Enchantment and Illusion, troublesome but manageable. But the Old Magicks are an unknown factor. Presumably they oppose the Fey so they may be of non-natural base, unless they were stolen from the Fey to begin with. They were purported to be gained from Outsider interference, so we may be looking to the Hells of Baator for guidance. Of course, the Fey may have been mistaken for Outsiders, in which case we come around back to them. I digress, this is the issue I would appreciate aid in looking into first. I will of course call for spells like yours this nightfall, and I defer to you for instruction."

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Ah, the young one has his Divinations blocked. Always a frustrating thing. Very well. I will look into these 'Old Magicks' of yours, Valdis. If they are old, or powerful, enough, it is quite possible that information about them has been fully obscured, and Hextor may elect to leave us in darkness. There are rules that even the gods choose not to break, remember. If my magic can't find anything, then perhaps the archivists will. I'll send them a quick message while I'm working, of course. I'll begin with a Commune, I think. A regular Divination may also prove useful. After that, I'll call upon Hextor's insight with a number of smaller spells and see if I might learn a little that way.

"Regardless. I will also send word to our Arcane auxiliaries. There are a few spells that they might have access to that could benefit us.

"Regarding the missing soldiers: if they were taken into this 'Hall' you mentioned, then you'd have no way of finding them. What spells did you use to locate them?

"Also, did you, by chance, find the Hall on your own? Did you Divinations work within it? I'm curious about their defenses. In fact, give me a list of all divinations you made. Might help narrow down the right trick that could get us the information we need."

Mestin begins gathering scrolls and reagents to use, listening to your responses as she works.

21. - Top - End - #261

MindFlayer

"Flame Strike," Valdis replies succinctly. "With Find the Path blocked and finding myself running low on spells, I didn't want to waste ten minutes on a Divination that would be blocked in the same way, and so I instead spent it on asking Hextor how the Hall would be found, rather than asking where it was. I was given a dual vision either of alliance with the Fey, or of affirmation of my previous notion to burn them out and investigating the patch of land protected from fire. The latter proved effective, but to answer your question more fully, I did not actually manage to find the missing soldiers. Nor did I have the luxury of experimenting with Divinations, as most of my time was spent in Gaseous Form in anticipation of escape from enemy forces. I was not willing even to risk using Word of Recall within the boundaries of the Hall.

Apart from low-level Divinations outside of the Hall like Detect Magic to pick up invisible sneaks and disguises and the spell Divination which led me to my action, the only other substantial Divination spell I cast was Find the Path, which returned negative. Considering that, I suspect the use of Hide the Path which would block all lesser magic, or something stronger than that and yet unknown to me. It is the caliber of spell that brings me to you now."