New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: LOC: The Finished Hearth (IC)

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Lunzi looks up at the surprise guest, and gestures to his hut. "My house is yours." He then wags his finger at the dragon. "But do not wake up the sheep. They just got to sleep."
    The Dragon then asked the man, "Are you the only one of your kind?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Eid, the Underworld

Mortals... what about them? This sibling was angry, Eid understood one might be hesitant to trade with another being, but the earthy one didn't care about this. He cared about... mortals. Eid hadn't, well, THOUGHT about mortals before. He'd made automatons, he'd seen the sky dragons and the first man, but he hadn't considered them to be actual people. Or had he? Did Eid like mortals? Eid liked the concept of trading with them but... could he respect them, or love them?

Yes, wait, no. Yes? But if he liked mortals, then he would have to care for them... he couldn't take from them. What about the contracts? WHO CARES ABOUT THE CONTRACTS. No, I care about the contracts... NOTHING WILL STAND IN THE WAY OF MY CONTRACTS!

Eid grew restless while Randolin spoke, shifting into his form adorned with the golden parchment of contracts. As he did so, he remained deathly silent as he looked at his first contract, and then to his silver quill. Stretching the nib of the quill into a dagger, he proceeded to trace around his chest with the blade, pushing aside his treasured contract-paper to reveal Azure skin as he traced a bloody line around its surface. Reaching suddenly into the crimson circle, he plucked out his own heart... and threw it with all his cosmic might, travelling through stone and into the void.

He shifts the porcelain on his face into a polite smile

"Sorry about that..."

He waves a hand, returning his state to 'normal', as well as filling and mending the hole he created in the ceiling.

"Where were we... right, you were asking some questions, of which I now have answers; I have had created mortals, but they are not mine. Should a mortal bargain their freedom in exchange for something from me, I would not hesitate to take it.

Now as for clarifying my intent behind the bargain; I still do not see how it would not be a fair deal for your people, I would only require a small but regular offering to me. In return not only am I offering to teach them the art of trade, but I will clarify that I was offering to help establish trading relations between the citizens of your realm and those of the surface, of which I can guarantee that at least one trade agreement would be established.

I understand you believe the people should have a choice in this, and of that is fine. I chose to come to you because it is my understanding that a sibling may not appreciate a spontaneous interaction with another's creation. However I will make it clear that if I go to them and they accept the terms, I will hold them to the contract as much as I hold it to myself!
    "

Eid continues to speak calmly with deliberation, showing no sign that he was offended by the earth god's insults.

"As it shall be written, so shall it be done. If you do not wish for you and your people to make a deal with me, that is fine, I'd honor that on the condition you would not interfere with my affairs either. Just know that I am always open to negotiating trade."

Eid looks and sees he missed a spot of his blood on the floor beneath him, of which he removes from existence with the final flick of his forefinger. He waits and hopes for a reply from the earthlord, before remembering he forgot to ask the man's name;

"Oh I'm terribly sorry, but I forgot to ask how I should address you, what is your name master of the caverns?"
    Hey the sun's my friend. Get your own space tea serving space dragon.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Lunzi raises an eyebrow and tilts his head. "I'm sorry, I don't understand the question."
    LGBTA+itP

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Lunzi raises an eyebrow and tilts his head. "I'm sorry, I don't understand the question."
    "Are there more like you?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

"It's not possible for there to be more like me. I don't understand. There aren't more like you. You are unique."
    LGBTA+itP

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Randolin watched in silence as the other deity reached into his chest and removed his heart. He watched as he hurled it away, the earth itself spreading apart to let the divine essence pass through. He watched as the ceiling of his home got torn open again.

"Well," he observed aloud, "that was melodramatic."

The Earthlord listened to his divine kinsman speak of contracts and of holding people to them. He wasn't very pleased with this, but gave more thought to the matter. He was quiet for a while.

"Oh, look," he began with a grumble. "I won't stop you from trading with them so long as you're not trying to cheat them and trick them into owing you for generations. I'm not going to tell them they can't talk to you, though I might tell them you're a bit of an ass. But I do promise that if you do try to cheat them or bind them in some sort of web of lies - or half-truths or deceptive truths or what have you - you're not going to like me very much.

"Oh, and one more thing,"
    the little god mentioned as an afterthought. "STOP BREAKING MY HOUSE, SIR-GABS-A-LOT!" Grumpily, the miniature deity used his magic to move the earth underneath the other god's feet and lift him up back into the hole he made in the ceiling. "And tell the other gods that the next time someone visits Old Randy, they can USE THE DOOR! You're going to like doors! THEY'RE GOING TO BE GREAT!"

And with that, Randolin plugged up the holes in his ceiling with stone, adjusted his robes, tilted his tall and pointy cap back, and sat down on a rock to relax.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

In a cave, there is a knock, a dull echo coming from nowhere. It was less a sound, and more a silence deeper then the silence around it, carrying through the tunnels. For anyone that looked, there was nothing there, merely shadow and darkness. Much as the same that was underground, but at the same, it was a polite darkness.
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Earthlord sat up straight at the sound. Truthfully, he rather liked the sound: a gentle knock upon the stone. It seemed right to him.

"That's how a door will sound like," he decided before standing on up with a groan. And although he saw only darkness as he stared out from the entryway to his 'home,' he sensed something was there. Something... Some kind of something, a divine something. He couldn't tell much more than that at first, but he knew, at least, this was a polite something.

So, he decided to be polite back.

"Well, alright," he called out. "You can come on in, whoever you are. But I'm going to make a little light first, the better to see you." So, Randolin reached his hand out toward the ceiling and willed iron to worm out of the earth. With his hands, he shaped it a basin of sorts, strong and cold. Then he picked up a rock, rubbed his hands against it with supernatural speed, and in doing so turned it into magma. This he poured into the basin, and this basin he let dangle from the ceiling from chains of metal, forming a sort of dangling brazier that lit the whole room.

"That's better," he said with a smile, and he sat back down on his rock.

9. - Top - End - #39

OldWizardGuy

There was a whisper, a scraping of wind and water over the rock, the long slow drip of limestone wearing away even as stalactites formed, fangs and pillars both, the wind dancing a lonely song between them. For a moment, there is a sense of rippling, both more and less real, maybe and static, as a presence that was not made it's way into the caverns of the world, though in a way, it had already been there, gathering like water condensing into clouds. For a moment, tendrils of shadow and darkness move into the light, a distinct lack of anything.

And then, the figure stepped in. It was close in form to a troll, tall, wide and strong, but seemingly made from a strange crystal, a black so deep that light was drawn in, devoured and made null. Matte black, it moves into the light, clad in robes much of the same shade and material, distinct only by the separation. Wisps of shadow move off the body as light strikes it, even as whispers emerge from the hem and movement of the robes.

Still, the figure inclined it's head. There was no opening of the mouth, though silence, deep enough to understand still emerged. "Greetings, Lord of the Underworld."
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

There comes a knock from the other side of the home, almost inquisitive. There comes a silver line, and then two more, forming the shape of a rectangle on the wall. The rock inside the shape draws aside like a curtain, and Tsalal walks in, appearing as a willowy elf. She smiles at you two, in one hand a satchel. Hello dear brothers. Sorry to intrude, but I felt it was time to properly meet the family.
    LGBTA+itP

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

It was in the presence of not one but two other deities that Randolin began to wonder if there was merit to those contract things the other god kept talking about. A contract about writing before one visits seemed like a fine idea.

Of course, the Earthlord couldn't complain all that much. There in the room stood two immortal beings who had politely made their entrances. No ceilings were busted, and the wall was only a little misshapen by the entrance of the second, uninvited being (though might she have thought herself invited?). One was a bit too tall for living in a cave, and was slender enough that Randolin would've sworn a strong breath of air might knock her over. The other was emulating the trolls, but not pretending to be them, instead making clear that it was all shadow and darkness and stuff.

Well, shadow and darkness and stuff was quite familiar to the Earthlord, given his locale, and the slender woman at least was very polite. Of course, there were a few issues he had with them...

"Why is everyone so insistent that we're all related?" The Gnome furrowed his brow and looked between the two deities. "I mean, I'm pretty sure I didn't hatch out of an egg with anyone sharing it with me, and I certainly don't remember anyone being cooked in the same oven as me. Besides, if some deity ever tries to seduce me, it's not going to work if I think they're a sibling, now, is it?"

Grumbling once more, the Earthlord waved his hands and made sitting stones for both of his visitors. He'd made one for each of them: dark obsidian for the shady one, and pale marble for the skinny one. That seemed a polite thing. For a finishing touch, he dug into the cave floor with his finger and planted some spores which grew up into large, bushy mushrooms. He snapped a few of these out of the floor and began chewing them.

"Well? Sit down!" he ordered. "And have a bite to eat! And tell me what in the blazing Infernum you nosy folk are doing here. This Lord of the Underworld - I prefer the title 'Earthlord,' you know - this Earthlord has a lot of doors to be building, and a lot of learning to be doing."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Tsalal smooths out the rock behind her, and sits, biting into a mushroom thoughtfully. You know, this would go well with some fish. As for being a brother... we are, in a way, all related in that we were all created, formed, at the same time, yes? But in my case, I consider us kin more in that we are all aspects of similar status, power, and reach. A brotherhood of deities, if you will. She sits on the obsidian stone, pondering for a moment. What's a door?
    LGBTA+itP

13. - Top - End - #43

OldWizardGuy

The shadow, for in truth the only names it had were those given to it by others (never having bothered to really define itself, that was what The Purpose was for after all) seemed to consider the words, nodding as it fractured and split and was both less and the same, sitting down at a smaller size, a dwarf in shape this time, though there were elements of First Man in the appearance as well a subtle blend that could not be touched on, merely felt on some level.

[I]"I do not assume relation. Purpose does not have biological/pre-established interconnectivity/shared-ancestry. Thus, relationship status professional, similar, know only singular Purpose, unaware of others."[/I] It shrugs, or appears to shrug, though in part this is almost a translation of a shrug, as it's speech continues to be silences deeper then the surrounding ones.

Still, there was a sense of focus, even as bites, no sign of a movement towards a mouth, were taken from it's share of the spores. "Appreciation/Gratitude for hospitality. Acknowledgement of designation, will refer as such." There was no tone, no expression on the pseudo-dwarfs face, almost as if it were a statue or projection, or an ill-fitting costume the wearer was unfamiliar with.

"Purpose of meeting. My purpose, test mortals, provide challenges so they may achieve potential. Permission to begin work?"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Doors are great," the Gnome began to explain, but as he tried to think of specifics for this yet-to-be-invented object, the darker visitor began to speak. And speak it did, and oddly at that, the way it explained things just off. The way it ate was off, too, like salt pretending to be ruby. It didn't seem right to the Gnome, and truthfully, he began to feel a bit embarrassed by the whole situation.

So, Randolin decided to be helpful. He cleared his throat and pointed at his mouth.

"No, see, you use this. This is a mouth. You open it. Then you clamp your teeth down on what you're eating, see?" The Gnome demonstrated by cramming his chunk of mushroom into his mouth and swallowing it whole. "That's how! And this is how mortals are going to eat, I think, so we need to make certain you know what that's like, because how else will you understand them?

"Anyway," he continued with a wave of his hand, leaning on back on his stony seat, "I think you need to learn more about mortals before you go about challenging them. What are you challenging them for, anyway? Shouldn't we be glad that mortals are happy and healthy and hearty? So long as they don't fight each other or make too much noise, we'll be in grand shape!"

After an awkward pause, the Earthlord added, in a jovial tone, "Doors go in walls. They're like mouths for a house, or mouths for a room: you go into the mouth to get inside. And they're good because then you don't have to worry about strangers breaking in through the ceiling and ruining all your hard work."
    Last edited by Shortstuff; 2016-09-23 at 06:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

OldWizardGuy

The very shady visitor seems to acknowledge this, inclining his head, and picking up a spore.... though at several places it seems that the shadows drifting off of him seem to hold it instead of fingers. Still, while the expression was blank, there was the sense of being puzzled. "Then what is there purpose? How do they know one thing without the other? How can they experience [awareness/emotional-spiritual-texture/complexity]? Are they content? Or are they simplistic, unable to grasp [nuance/graduations of state/being]?"

There was no malice, no antagonism in the silence, only a sense of interest and curiosity, as he took a bite of the spore, all the while looking artificial, like he has never eaten before.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

What're these mortals you seem to be so keen on? Do they use doors? She smiles. Do you think Lunzi will like them?
    LGBTA+itP

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well, they don't use doors yet," the small god answered, "but once they see how handy they are, I promise you, there will be doors that lead to more doors!"

Truthfully, though, the Gnome was a little troubled. He hid it well - very well, as the God of Secrets ought - but although the dark god spoke with no malice, Randolin felt there was something strange about these 'challenges' it spoke of. He was wary.

"Look, if you want to know about mortals, then you should go and meet them," he told both of the other gods. "I made these mortals, the Earthfolk, because..." Randolin was about to say "because it gets lonely underground," but he didn't like making bare that truth. "Because of reasons," he said instead, "and I don't like the thought of seeing them hurt. I only want for them to be happy, and to be able to choose for themselves what to do, as I'm sure anyone else would want for their friends. Although, should they choose to make loud noises when I'm trying to sleep, I might have to make loud noises back.

"So if you've got challenges and purposes for them, I hope you can explain why they're better off having them than lacking them, because I'm of a mind to smack any thoughts of making trouble for them out of your head!"
    Last edited by Shortstuff; 2016-09-23 at 07:54 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

OldWizardGuy

He nods. Or he does not. There was surprisingly very little difference in the movement/non-movement. "Choice is the key. But what do they choose between? When the web of [choices/fate/sympathy] is limited to a singular or narrow set of [divergences/options/possibilities] what becomes the [outcome/resolution/next choice]? And, dualistic [evaluation/contrast-enhancement] of experience. Singular state, no [depth/richness/complexity]. Mortals have [potential/greatness-seed]. But...." There is an almost pensive, though directed inward in the non-tone silence.

"If given [stable/single-state] existence, mortals will not grow into [potential/equal]. They will remain [immature/juvenile/child]. But, cannot force them along a path. That would eliminate [choice/will/potential]. Always, must be choice."

There is a seriousness to the darkness, though a simple one. "Must acknowledge [flaws/evil/imperfections] as well as [virtues/qualities]. Must be...." There is a pause as he thinks, and speaks, the word echoing and reverberating inside the silence. "Whole."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Tsalal leans forward, eyes narrowed. You seem awful focused on these mortals discovering their bad side, brother. And you say it's for them. I don't believe you.
    LGBTA+itP

20. - Top - End - #50

OldWizardGuy

There is a shrug, and expression of not caring, almost a sign posted behind the figure. "To hold onto [convictions/purpose] when there is nothing to challenge them, this is easy." And then there is a sense of weight, of surety, of a kind of spiritual gravity. "[Desire/want/need] does not enter into the equation. This is Purpose."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

"You keep using this word 'purpose,'" the small god said with a deep, deep frown. "I do not think it means what you think it means."

With a flare of his nostrils, the Gnome stood up on his rock and pointed a chunk of mushroom down at the strange, shadowy figure.

"It seems to me that purpose, to you, is exactly whatever you want done, no matter what bad things it means for others. Well, here's a tip, my grimly garbed compatriot: we can make this conversation gallivant about until we've discussed everything that has been or will be, and it won't change the simple truth that the only 'purpose' I ever made the Earthfolk for was to enjoy their company. Yes, I said it!" The Earthlord shook his fist down at the others, clenching it tightly about the fungal food in his hand. "I made them so the place would be livened up! And they did that! And now I don't want you bothering them just because you've got this idea that hurting folk is good for them!

"In fact, if you want to test something, why don't you go see how you measure up to your own tests?" The Earthlord squinted at the dark creature, folding his arms over his chest. "Because, frankly, I haven't met a god yet that isn't immature or childish, so maybe we could all do with a bit of growing up before we decide to impose on some folk who aren't much younger than we are!"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Automan, Descent into the Earth

Launched on a pegasus, a band of 15 automans were following orders from Elizabeth to explore the world. The instructions were particular and sent them to a hole, there was a discussion about whether to go down, the discussion could only have had one answer. The autos went down the hole and got promptly lost.

A voice entered their heads. The witch taught them a spell. It did not assist their being lost.

Spoiler: AP
    Show

16 AP: 2 AP: Sub-Concept of Arcane Magic: Communication Magic; allows the altering of anothers senses, including communication at a distance, but also illusions, and such.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Eid, Elizabeth's descent into the earth...
    Eid had nodded and had said nothing in reply to Randolin, merely giving a nod of confirmation. The sudden lack of a heart left him feeling cold and breathless. While he had no need for an anatomy, he still felt empty... so as he walked he began using his quill to connect the words of his contracts, making them arteries and veins for ink, of which would be his new blood. While Randolin had expressed his disapproval of using one of the earth-people's forms, Eid didn't feel right showing his divinity out-rightly to the mortals.

He compromised by concealing his presence until he reached a gathering of the cavern dwellers, and then he took the form of a solid ball of gold. He began to speak in their minds, offering a contract... of which they accepted. Eid was pleased when they etched their names into the surface of his form and repeated their vows, as were they when he confirmed his role in the contract. He began teaching the present gathering the art of negotiating a bargain, and he shed some of his divine influence to help them master it. He let the cavern dwellers go on their way and told them to meet back with their offerings at the same spot.

Figuring that it was about time to discuss some more matters with his recent ally, Eid started looking for her spark. Disappearing and reappearing in an instant, Eid chooses to take on his silver and gold automaton form once more as he appears floating before Elizabeth. He makes sure to mask his presence from the senses of the Automatons for the time being...

"Elizabeth, dearest ally! While it may have seemed moments, it has been too long since we have discussed details - dealings as it were. It has come to my attention that we share in some new power, and I believe I know a way to apply it. I can assure you, it will be very beneficial to the both of us. I have recently found some under-dwellers interesting in trading the ores and precious stones of the Earth, and naturally I understand your Automatons are of in need for at least some of those materials. So perhaps the first use of our shared powers could be to teach your automatons the art of trading? It would serve to be very useful in your quest to expand their power..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

• Mundane Concept (Trading) 2AP
    • +5AP per rollover
    • Previously 11AP, now 14AP

Spoiler: Contract
    Show
    The present members who sign this document will guarantee that they will continue to offer previous minerals and gems to Eid monthly, and Eid in turn will teach them the art of trading. Additionally to this, Eid will guarantee that the present signed members will have opportunities to trade through Eid's assistance. This contract is expandable and contractible; signed members can choose to remove themselves from this contract providing they give 1 year's notice, and new members can be added after their first payment. If a signed member ceases paying then they lose membership and are worthy of punishment at Eid's discretion.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Elizabeth, Autom Isle

"Trade. T-r-l-r-r-ade." The wizard gave it more thought than she would have if it anyone, but Eid, otherwise she would have just dismissed it. However, as her mind began to ponder over it, it became more reasonable than she had first thought, "Yes, that would be a good idea. It is beneath the dignity of my first holders of magic to dig for ore, and such things. I consent for you to use the power produced by our agreement for this endeavour."

As she finished writing in some unintelligible script was produced in dancing blue flames and danced around the gold and silver automaton.

25. - Top - End - #55

OldWizardGuy

The darkness looks at him, and there is a sense of chains, wrapping and forming, of things far harder then a simple length of steel or stone. Around the darkness, inside of it, pierced straight through, it nodded, it's gaze as blank as ever, it's silent voice as flat, yet deeper then the seas, deeper the void. "For that is not my purpose." And indeed, it was not, so he, she, it, did not ever consider it, was not capable of considering it.... for that would not align with it's purpose.

Oh course, it knew what free will was. It also knew that it did not possess it. That it was fundamentally limited. It had great cosmic power, but all of that was wrapped up and tied to directives that it could not break, for to break them was to utterly destroy it's own identity, the only thing that it really had. Or, to use another analogy, it would be to carve out it's own heart to change it's appearance.

That said purpose was to challenge and test mortals, to give them something to overcome, to allow those special few, whose number with cultivation and care would blossom and flourish in the eons ahead, and if all went according to plan, to be rendered obsolete? To be made redundant? To be unmade by the hands of mortal hero's who have fully embraced their potential and overcome their own inner darkness? It did not matter if he felt joy and anticipation, or sorrow and disappointment when they would fall short.

For that was his purpose.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Eid's countenance shined as he heard Elizabeth's consent. Unraveling a portion of his arm into parchment, etching in a smaller portion of writing onto his garb as it soaks up Elizabeth's writings into his being.

"As it is written, so shall it be done..."

Eid re-forms himself completely into his guise as an automaton, rapidly shifting his placement in all of his existence as he enlightened each Automaton with visions of trading methods. As he did this, he drew upon the power of his contract between him and Elizabeth. A thought did enter Eid's mind as he toiled to teach the Automatons, and that thought was that it was tiring to do everything himself... perhaps it was time he made his a race to call his own, one which would share in his desires and duty to fill his form with contracts...

Eid put those thoughts on hold. He had just visited the last Automaton, and he appeared before Elizabeth again in his own form this time...

"As it was written, so has it been done..."

Eid then proceeds to appear at the meeting place he established with the cavern-dwellers, and he began to spin the threads of space and time in preparation for creating a new plane...

Show
    Only thing used is the Pantheon action totalling at 2AP for teaching a mundane concept to the Automatons...
    Last edited by Nebula; 2016-09-29 at 07:17 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Eid reached into the fabric of the cosmos and sifted out a new plane from the rest...

In the fabric of this plane did Eid weaves its rules; that all that enter must do so through contract between Eid and them, and the same for leaving. He had so much more to add to it, but for now Eid capped his creation with a portal leading to the underground cavern where Eid taught the under-dwellers how to trade. He shaped it in the form of a golden boulder, the same he had taken before, except with the conditions of entering Eid's new realm.

1. To enter and leave the plane of contracts, you must sign your name upon the appropriate portal, under this contract.
    2. If you try and bring or take anything other than yourself that has not been signed to leave or enter, Eid is free to take action against you.
    3. The realm is neutral ground, no bloodshed is to occur else Eid is free to take action against you.

Eid also left a message on the floor of the cavern to the under-dwellers, telling them to enter the realm to leave their offerings to Eid.

Eid then appeared among the Automatons, this time as a mere iron and stone Automaton (wrapped in worn cloth) as he waited for news of contact between them and the under-dwellers. While he waited, Eid struck up conversations of daily life with those who would stop and talk.

Show

• 3AP weave plane
    • 2AP portal

previously 14AP now 9AP... although aren't we due for a rollover soon?

Last edited by Nebula; 2016-10-04 at 07:06 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Tsalal growls at the god mascarading as a dwarf. You have naught more of interest to you than to oppose? Bland, boring, baffling! Not worth my time. She turns to the other god. You, on the other hand, may yet be of interest. What say you?
    LGBTA+itP