1. - Top - End - #1261
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Ashourina! (In Character)

"If it is here, I will find it.

...and you will assist me."

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Others have searched and failed to find it here. Waste your effort, do not presume our cooperation in a fools errand." The Nimblewright replies, seeming to speak for the queen, who now seems to have lost interest or desire to converse directly again.

3. - Top - End - #1263

In the blink of an eye, Stilltongue is behind one of the myrmarches, slashing at its tender underbelly.
    Last edited by ValarMorgulis; 2016-09-27 at 12:34 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1264

Stilltongue:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You plunge your dagger towards the Formian as a sphere of rainbow light emanates outwards, washing over you. Like a shadow you pass through most of it, until a wall of violet light seems impenetrable, and like a brilliant light dispelling shadows, your form on this world fades, reforming elsewhere.

From your prodigious knowledge of the planes, you can quickly tell that you are in Carceri, Porphatys, the fifth layer to be exact, from the acidic snow you stand upon. You are on a glacier floating in the acidic ocean. Beneath you, entombed in the ice seems to be some sort of kraken, completely immobile, one of the many denizens trapped in the prison of the multiverse.

5. - Top - End - #1265

Stilltongue transports himself back to the Prime and then teleports to his monastery. There, in his inner sanctum, he casts a spell to learn more about this new enemy of his.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Use divination SLA on the formian queen. If it doesn't fail, use Legend Lore SLA

6. - Top - End - #1266

Stilltongue:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Divination and legend lore fail. Your vecna-blooded ability tells you that the queen (her name translates to "Queen of the formian hive near Mt. Klinderion on the material plane") and she appears as she did before, a giant immobile insect (technically, this would have happened while you were in Carceri).

7. - Top - End - #1267

Stilltongue waits at the monastery until evening, brooding over the events of the day. When night falls, he returns to the ruin and sneaks back to the cavern.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Being as sneaky as possible. Searching for any traps along the way. Cast Choose Destiny
    Last edited by ValarMorgulis; 2016-09-27 at 10:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Troll in the Playground

(Meanwhile, in the future)

Light trickled through the glass stained windows which depicted Grimmfell's history, the final edition being the ascension of the Lady of the Black Rose to Governess in the Immortal Queen's name. There, upon an ornate throne where many kings ruled from sat Ashourina the Immured, beautiful and yet unnervingly still. The room remained largely empty of subjects, silence reigned...

And then the doors to the great throne room opened, entering was the Immortal Queen's Champion, Cordelia, summoned for a purpose. Her approach was humble, kneeling before her and keeping her head low until the Queen permitted she look up to bask in her visage.

"What is your bidding, My Queen?"
    Very busy these days and so posting will be sparse.

Extended Sig.

Lady Cordelia of Grimmfell Avatar created by yours truly.

Spoiler: Full image
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Titan in the Playground

Velduvian inhaled, and exhaled. Silent for a while, letting her words sink in for both of them, he savored the moment. "You see beauty in a harsh place. Where others do not. As do I."

The double meaning clear enough, he saw little use to say more on the subject. Instead he handled the thing that seemed to bother her most. "You are smart, far more intelligent than your kin. That you, of all people, cannot fully understand her shows how much she does not want to be understood. To force an understanding of her is to say you lack faith. You do not need to understand, you need to obey. Same as I."

Velduvian curled a finger under her jaw and brought her face to look upon his own. His features were perfect. beyond compare, and so when he expressed sorrow, it was painful to see. An exotic, and exquisite yet somehow familiar and plain, the pain carved from marble shifted into a hopeful smile. "We are the children of the same queen, do not think your feelings are yours alone. Rest your woes in my forest. This is a place of peace and calm, a paradise far removed from the chaos. One day, all the world will be as this forest is: peaceful and devoid of needs. Survival will become easy and living rather than surviving will become the norm."

Looking at his surroundings, he is filled with a youthful energy, and he takes on a capricious, gleeful tone. "This forest is what I work for: to bring all the world into this smaller world hidden under the boughs of my trees. And though you live in a harsh place, you work to make it a place that is known for its frozen grace, not its icy bite. Majestic, serene, peaceful. Something I wish you could be."

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darklink_shadow View Post
    Velduvian inhaled, and exhaled. Silent for a while, letting her words sink in for both of them, he savored the moment. "You see beauty in a harsh place. Where others do not. As do I."

The double meaning clear enough, he saw little use to say more on the subject. Instead he handled the thing that seemed to bother her most. "You are smart, far more intelligent than your kin. That you, of all people, cannot fully understand her shows how much she does not want to be understood. To force an understanding of her is to say you lack faith. You do not need to understand, you need to obey. Same as I."

Velduvian curled a finger under her jaw and brought her face to look upon his own. His features were perfect. beyond compare, and so when he expressed sorrow, it was painful to see. An exotic, and exquisite yet somehow familiar and plain, the pain carved from marble shifted into a hopeful smile. "We are the children of the same queen, do not think your feelings are yours alone. Rest your woes in my forest. This is a place of peace and calm, a paradise far removed from the chaos. One day, all the world will be as this forest is: peaceful and devoid of needs. Survival will become easy and living rather than surviving will become the norm."

Looking at his surroundings, he is filled with a youthful energy, and he takes on a capricious, gleeful tone. "This forest is what I work for: to bring all the world into this smaller world hidden under the boughs of my trees. And though you live in a harsh place, you work to make it a place that is known for its frozen grace, not its icy bite. Majestic, serene, peaceful. Something I wish you could be."
    "Serene and peaceful? Me?" She laughed. "Oh, Velduvian, I don't know what I'd do with myself."

"Even before the Queen found me, I was a warrior at heart. I trained extensively with the sword, surpassing the skill of any other knight in the kingdom well before I became a captain. I learned to fight, to run and even sleep in a suit of armor. My code was my life, and what I always turned to to press forward against even overwhelming odds.

"Now it's even more so since Ashourina improved me even further. My armor is almost like a second skin. My sword a natural extension. My wits were sharpened. It can't simply be said anymore that war and death is my profession. It's more like my domain. My province.

"How could one such as I become molded into something 'serene and peaceful,' as you say?"

Extended Sig.

Show

11. - Top - End - #1271

Stilltongue:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The chamber is much as it was before, although the Myrmarches are no longer in prismatic spheres (duration expired), but stand on opposite sides of the queen's sphere, the queen still is (although it quite possibly is a different sphere than the one that existed previously). A Faithful Hound now sits next to the Nimblewright. The second invisible creature hovering above the queen's sphere in an invisible prismatic sphere also is still there.

Do you have any way to detect magical auras?

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Titan in the Playground

"I too was once a creature obsessed with war and hate. I still seethe, but with grace."

Velduvian tapped his temple while he thought. "Inner peace more than outer peace, I suppose. I would have you fluid and graceful in battle; calm during the storm. When I say serene and peaceful, I do not mean without war or battle. I mean without turmoil; without all of this... anxiety you carry with you."

"The music I intended to show you will began in less than an hour. Please, eat." Velduvian gestured at the food. "It is considered rude to not eat food the fey provide, you know."

It wasn't clear if Velduvian was teasing her or actually upset she wasn't eating more. His smile was inscrutable, and his eyes glittered with either laughter or malice.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Troll in the Playground

OOC: Didn't think to covey that she was eating as she was conversating... I guess I'll just run with it.

"Hmm."

She couldn't argue with the truth. She did carry with her much stress, though she often found that once her faith was placed in Ashourina, it often fell away from her in order to focus on serving her. The only problem had been that recently it was becoming increasingly difficult to bring herself into that devoted focus. This was of course due to what transpired a few days ago, hearing that Ashourina threatened Anna after giving Cordelia her blessing, that her mind was conditioned by Ashourina, that she apparantley loved and lost someone without remembering... The list went on.

She had wished she could forget these things. Return to knowing only that Ashourina was the way. Ignorant of any possibility that all she was was a disposable tool, a temporary pawn in her grand scheme, used and toyed with for her amusement. When these thoughts were not in her mind, she felt at peace.

On on the other hand, despite all that happened, she could not bring herself to hate her.

That would require not being in love with her.

She he ceased to dwell, changing the subject to something else that subtly gnawed at her as she resumed eating.

"Velduvian..."

"It really is unfair you can read me like a book, while I can't read you at all."

Extended Sig.

Show

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Titan in the Playground

Velduvian's smile flicked between whimsically amused, to mockingly amusing to suddenly upset and back to whimsical. "I don't see how it isn't fair. I have earned the ability to read you by learning how to read people for a very, very long time. Perhaps what isn't fair is that your soul was put in such a flimsy body. I would rather have you be fey. Even among my best and brightest, you would rise to the top of my people, were you fey."

With a chuckle closed his eyes. "Since you cannot read me, perhaps I should just answer any questions you have. I offer you a chance now to ask anything without retribution. I'll take no offense at your curiosity."

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Troll in the Playground

Velduvian's smile flicked between whimsically amused, to mockingly amusing to suddenly upset and back to whimsical. "I don't see how it isn't fair. I have earned the ability to read you by learning how to read people for a very, very long time. Perhaps what isn't fair is that your soul was put in such a flimsy body. I would rather have you be fey. Even among my best and brightest, you would rise to the top of my people, were you fey."

With a chuckle closed his eyes. "Since you cannot read me, perhaps I should just answer any questions you have. I offer you a chance now to ask anything without retribution. I'll take no offense at your curiosity."
    Cordelia raised an eyebrow. "...Flimsy is not a term I'd use. Though I can appreciate that you meant to flatter me."

"Actually I have been curious... has your flirting been a serious attempt to win me over, for all that implies, or is it simply fun and games?"

Extended Sig.

Show

16. - Top - End - #1276

Ashourina sits unmoved as her servant enters. Her mind is troubled by recent events, and she has considered showing kindness. But this is not yet the moment, and even though the queen is dead, she still has a metaphysical heart, filled with the feelings that she has left. The ones that she would never betray. "Cordelia. I brings us great pleasure to see you in our presence again. We trust that your retreat was nourishing to the soul."

She pauses for a few moment, smiling slightly as she looks into Cordelia's eyes: "But alas, we have so many affairs to see to that we cannot converse as we would wish at this moment. One of our servants, Countess Rengare of Thaliseth, who has held the keep of Jurulek for me has failed to report. The wardings make magical evaluation impossible, and we would ask you to travel to Jurulek and find out what has happened. This is a direct insult to us, and we would be greatly pleased to see it avenged."

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raunchel View Post
    Ashourina sits unmoved as her servant enters. Her mind is troubled by recent events, and she has considered showing kindness. But this is not yet the moment, and even though the queen is dead, she still has a metaphysical heart, filled with the feelings that she has left. The ones that she would never betray. "Cordelia. I brings us great pleasure to see you in our presence again. We trust that your retreat was nourishing to the soul."

She pauses for a few moment, smiling slightly as she looks into Cordelia's eyes: "But alas, we have so many affairs to see to that we cannot converse as we would wish at this moment. One of our servants, Countess Rengare of Thaliseth, who has held the keep of Jurulek for me has failed to report. The wardings make magical evaluation impossible, and we would ask you to travel to Jurulek and find out what has happened. This is a direct insult to us, and we would be greatly pleased to see it avenged."
    Spoiler
    Show

A 41 is still respectable (natural 1s only automatically fail for attack rolls and saving throws). Countess Rengare of Thaliseth was alive over a thousand years ago during the time of Ashourina's first empire. She swore fealty to Ashourina and acted as a commander for her armies, rather than face the might of Ashourina in the field of battle. She grew to be a devoted servant, and when Ashourina's empire reached its end, she was placed in command of Jurulek, a fortress holding a pass in these mountains. She held it valiantly, but eventually abandoned the fortress when she learned Ashourina herself was under attack. It was believed that she perished fighting her way to Ashourina, although among the multitude of dead that day, her body was never recovered.

Cordelia remembered that name from her studies. "Rengare of Thaliseth?

"I was under the impression she was lost to the ages, but then it is well within your power to bring someone back to serve you.

"If I may ask, my Queen... why was I or any of the court not made aware that she remained active? And when did you lose contact with her?"

Extended Sig.

Show

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Titan in the Playground

Velduvian shrugged off her disapproval of his choice of words. He stood by them, but it was pointless to argue. "Flirtations? My astute observation have been only to boost morale." He winked at her, and chuckled.

"But, to be serious, they are mostly for my amusement. Half the time, when I catch you off guard, your blush a delightful shade of red. I enjoy seeing such beauty. But that isn't to say my compliments are untrue. You are a delightfully attractive woman, curved in the right places, and with a powerful physique. You are, without doubt, the paragon of female power and sexuality. For humans anyway. I personally find elves the more attractive mortal race."

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Troll in the Playground

Velduvian shrugged off her disapproval of his choice of words. He stood by them, but it was pointless to argue. "Flirtations? My astute observation have been only to boost morale." He winked at her, and chuckled.

"But, to be serious, they are mostly for my amusement. Half the time, when I catch you off guard, your blush a delightful shade of red. I enjoy seeing such beauty. But that isn't to say my compliments are untrue. You are a delightfully attractive woman, curved in the right places, and with a powerful physique. You are, without doubt, the paragon of female power and sexuality. For humans anyway. I personally find elves the more attractive mortal race."
    Spoiler: Cordelia & Velduvian
    Show
    Cordelia smirked. "Well... I'll admit you flatter me at times. Though it probably also helps that when it comes to your overall physique, it leans slightly towards the feminine side."

She raised her hand. "Which... I personally find appealing. More so than the most masculine of men."

"What I'm trying to say is you're very attractive. For a man, anyway."

Extended Sig.

Show

20. - Top - End - #1280

Cordelia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "We have many servants. We do not trouble our champions with the details of every skeleton and zombie that serves us. Since our return, Rengare has held Jurulek faithfully and dutifully reported her findings. We didn't believe it necessary to distract the court from other matters by saying anything more than that Jurulek is held.

"Rengare's failed to report yesterday days, and has made no contact since, nor has she responded to my sending."

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    Cordelia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "We have many servants. We do not trouble our champions with the details of every skeleton and zombie that serves us. Since our return, Rengare has held Jurulek faithfully and dutifully reported her findings. We didn't believe it necessary to distract the court from other matters by saying anything more than that Jurulek is held.

"Rengare's failed to report yesterday days, and has made no contact since, nor has she responded to my sending."
    Spoiler: Cordelia & Ashourina
    Show
    Cordelia went over the possible reasons for a servant of Ashourina to actively avoid their queen in such a way, the most prominent of which was treachery. Regardless of the reason, whatever they be...

"This is indeed a great offense, My Queen. Countess Rengare will answer for this. You have my word."

(if that's all...)

OOC:(for the purpose of moving the story along I'll RP Anna for this scene)

Anna followed Cordelia up the stairs of one of the castle's great spires.

"How long will you be gone?" Anna asked.

Cordelia have Anna a glance. "It depends on the Countess' intentions."

"...But you'll be back soon?"

"I can't imagine it taking too long.
    "On one hand, it could all be a misunderstanding and the Countess will have to humbly ask for the Queen's forgiveness.
    "On the other hand, if she is abandoning service to the Queen, or worse turning against her, then I'll have to destroy her."

"Can you?"

Cordelia paid Anna another look. "Hmm?"

"Based on what you told me of her, she was Ashourina's Champion before you were, thousands of years ago. She might be more powerful, and she's definitely more experienced."

"More experienced? Most certainly.
    "But there has been no Champion more powerful than I."

"...but... Cordelia..."

Cordelia stopped and turned to look at Anna.

"I'm sorry, it's just...
    "I'm worried you don't have the conviction you had before.
    "Paladins draw their strength from their faith. And yours was shaken recently. You haven't been yourself."

Cordelia looked to the ground for a moment, considering her words. The truth stung but she hid it well enough. "...I don't think that will be an issue."

They made it to the top of the tower, which gave way to the expansive sky. Rynskaald awaited his rider.

"And what if it is?"

Cordelia brushed Anna's hair to the side, kissing her. She broke away, gazing into her eyes.

"Then I've still a good reason to return," she smiled "to ease your worries."

She turned, donning her mask and hood before mounting her dragon.

"Be careful."

Cordelia nodded. "I will."

Rynskald beat his mighty wings, taking to the skies towards Jurulek.

Extended Sig.

Show

22. - Top - End - #1282

Cordelia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of character: While Cordelia might not realize this, there is the possibility Rengare is dead or somehow incapacitated. I'm fine with you RPing Anna, although she wouldn't doubt your capability (in Anna's mind, Cordelia is essentially all-powerful), but its not important.

What are your methods of perception (true seeing, blindsight, arcane sight, situational bonus on spot and listen checks, anything)?

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Troll in the Playground

Cordelia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of character: While Cordelia might not realize this, there is the possibility Rengare is dead or somehow incapacitated. I'm fine with you RPing Anna, although she wouldn't doubt your capability (in Anna's mind, Cordelia is essentially all-powerful), but its not important.

What are your methods of perception (true seeing, blindsight, arcane sight, situational bonus on spot and listen checks, anything)?
    Spoiler: rweird
    Show
    OOC: Ah well. I hadn't really included the possibility she might be dead (the metagamer in me unfortunately). As for Anna, I needed someway of stating the current overall theme with Cordelia's waning faith, and I figured it might be best coming from Anna's mouth to set up an intimate moment.

The mask Cordelia wears grants her true seeing.

Extended Sig.

Show

24. - Top - End - #1284

Cordelia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Flying through the Jurulek pass, at its narrowest point you notice that part of the cliff-face is illusionary (a Mirage Arcana), although a few feet into the illusionary portion of the cliff, a roiling black mist (private sanctum) obscures your sight of the fortress.

Out of Character: That's fine for Anna. I feel that Cordelia immediately assuming this other champion is an enemy to the queen reflects her personality and attitude at the moment.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Cordelia - Smoke and mirrors
    Show
    Cordelia lands her dragon a short distance away from the illusion, examining it ans seeing the black veil beyond.

She dismounted. she looked to Rynskaald. "This is no place for you."

Rynskaald gave a low growl.

"I told you I won't endanger you needlessly again. Fly two miles the way we came. I'll call to you when it is done."

The dragon ascended, leaving Cordelia behind. With that, the Lady of the Black Rose entered the mists with her sword drawn, but low.

OOC: I had forgotten my sword grants me blindsight for 30 feet.

Extended Sig.

Show

26. - Top - End - #1286

Cordelia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The mists vanish once inside, allowing you to see out just fine.

The fortress stands tall and imposing, although the doors are open. Half a dozen skeletons carrying shields and scimitars stand guard at the entrance, watching you, a dozen mindless red pinpoints of light peering at you. Beyond, a thick fog fills the fortress (that caused by Guards and Wards).

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Cordelia - Good luck stormin' the castle!
    Show
    Sheathing her sword, she enters the fortress gates, if unopposed.

Extended Sig.

Show

28. - Top - End - #1288

Cordelia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The skeletons bar your way with their swords, shields and bony frames and will (ineffectively) attack you if you attempt to force entrance).

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Troll in the Playground

Cordelia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The skeletons bar your way with their swords, shields and bony frames and will (ineffectively) attack you if you attempt to force entrance).
    Spoiler: Cordelia - Go away! Shoo!
    Show
    Cordelia stopped as the skeletons blocked the way. She coldly gazed upon the skeleton guards as she pulled free a symbol of the Immortal Queen.

"Ashourina is inevitable."

OOC: Rebuke Undead. Cower before the Immortal Queen's might!

Rebuking Check (1d20+8)[27]

Extended Sig.

Show

30. - Top - End - #1290

Cordelia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The skeletons are easily cowed by the might of the immortal queen and cease their attempt to impede you (you can command them if you so wish). A wight (also commanded) emerges from the mists (technically it wouldn't, but as you commanded it without realizing it was there, it'd be more expedient for this to happen than there to be another post where you find it and discover it already is commanded).