New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [EX3e] - Glorious Chiaroscuro - IC

Eo finds a spot to await should Aivas want to talk to her immediately. In the meantime, she starts juggling her options as to which potential criminal ally she should meet with first.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Somewhere in Eo's shadow, appears an extra unseen presence, nonchalantly whistling louder as she stops evading awareness.
    "That was really good tea back there. Gotta go back sometime. What's your plan, boss?"
    Last edited by Mono Vertigo; 2016-08-24 at 04:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

The Palace

"'Poison' with harmless hallucinogens, I feel that bears reminding. Anyways, as I said earlier it would be unwise to risk escalating the situation, so here are my thoughts: I will ask Aivas to step up policing in key areas and make sure that any threats to public order are cracked down upon as visibly as possible, which should send the implicit message to the Guild that any overt action against the Realm will be opposed by the city. Given how cautiously they're accustomed to operating here in Chiaroscuro I am quite certain they'll get the message. In the meantime, should any of their covert actions intensify beyond the merely embarrassing I respectfully ask that you bring the matter to our attention and let us deal with it. It's important that you keep your own hands clean, after all."

Kalek pauses briefly in thought.

"...Oh, and I suppose if it will help your own position then feel free to claim this was all your idea and regale your troops with an account of how you browbeat us into cooperating. Is that acceptable?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    No roll because IMO this suggestion is basically just elaborating upon Kalek's previous persuasion that already succeeded.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2016-08-29 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Moved part of dialogue to next post for flow purposes.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    The Palace

"'Poison' with harmless hallucinogens, I feel that bears reminding. Anyways, as I said earlier it would be unwise to risk escalating the situation, so here are my thoughts: I will ask Aivas to step up policing in key areas and make sure that any threats to public order are cracked down upon as visibly as possible, which should send the implicit message to the Guild that any overt action against the Realm will be opposed by the city. Given how cautiously they're accustomed to operating here in Chiaroscuro I am quite certain they'll get the message. In the meantime, should any of their covert actions intensify beyond the merely embarrassing I respectfully ask that you bring the matter to our attention and let us deal with it. It's important that you keep your own hands clean, after all."

Kalek pauses briefly in thought.

"...Oh, and I suppose if it will help your own position then feel free to claim this was all your idea and regale your troops with an account of how you browbeat us into cooperating. Is that acceptable?"

The vizier then shifts to address his other two guests.

"Miss Tepin, Miss Alena, any thoughts to add? You have already defended the peace of Chiaroscuro once, so I wonder if you might be willing to continue doing so. If you require compensation then that can be arranged."

Show
    No roll against Still River because IMO this suggestion is basically just elaborating upon Kalek's previous persuasion that already succeeded.
    "'Harmless' hallucinogens that have not worn off a day afterward in the blood of those chosen by the dragons; I doubt that simply rendering one of us bedridden was their intended goal." She pointed out, raising an eyebrow. "I don't boast to my troops. Let them think what they will of me. But thank you Kalek, I can accept that."
    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mono Vertigo View Post
    Somewhere in Eo's shadow, appears an extra unseen presence, nonchalantly whistling louder as she stops evading awareness.
    "That was really good tea back there. Gotta go back sometime. What's your plan, boss?"
    Eo smiles as she glides along. "I have someone to meet---Mr. Mask, or at least his representative, as the latter contacted me earlier. I'd like to see what the seemingly-inscrutable assassin wants. I hope you'll come along, of course."
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

The Palace

"No need to thank me, just doing my job. Your comment on the strength of the drugs used so far has been noted."

Kalek then shifts to address his other two guests.

"Miss Tepin, Miss Alena, any thoughts? You have already defended the peace of Chiaroscuro once, so I wonder if you might be willing to continue doing so. If you require compensation then that can be arranged."
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2016-08-29 at 01:46 PM.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Aivas strides into alleyway where Eo was waiting for him, his buff jacket swaying slightly as he walks. He then looks at Eo imploringly,"So, what information did you have that couldn't be said in public Miss Eo?"
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

Extended List of Games I'm in or GM'ing

My homebrew setting: Raeus

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Alena had been sitting quietly, listening to the discussion of dragons being poisoned with a concerned expression, but nods to Kalek when he offers employment and says, "I would be happy to." She pauses for a moment, then swallows, struggling to keep emotion out of her voice as she says, "T-thank you for taking this lost wanderer in. I promise you, I will defend Chairoscuro with my life."

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Sorry for the delay, was waiting for Kell_tamer to post something first but he told me via PM that Tepin will need more prodding before she says anything.

Kalek turns a curious eye towards Alena and quickly takes her measure.

"Well, that is certainly more than I could have hoped for. I take it from your bearing and your weapon that you're a soldier by training? I'll discuss with Aivas where he thinks you're most needed, come to my office this time tomorrow and I'll have a fairly standard mercenary contract waiting for you."

Kalek's gaze then shifts to examine the priestess.

"Miss Tepin, anything to say? From your garb I assume you've come to Chiaroscuro for religious purposes, yes?"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Profiling Alena and Tepin since it's been more than long enough that I can:

Spoiler: 7 dice
    Show
    Vs. Alena: (7d10)[9][2][9][9][7][1][5](42) Yup

Vs. Tepin: (7d10)[2][1][7][2][8][3][5](28) Nope
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2016-09-06 at 12:56 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Tepin had been lost a bit in thought and the addressing caught her attention suddenly. "Oh. Yes. I am here as a priest of the sun. My people still worship him and wish to spread the teachings."

She blushes. "I am terribly sorry. I didn't mean to come off as aloof. When a lot like this happens I tend to get a little lost in thoughts over it."

She gives a polite bow. "One of his teachings is to help defend those who need defending, while also striving for peace. It would be remiss of me not to help." Her face comes back up with a warm genuine smile.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Kalek bows his head back.

"Oh no, my apologies for pressing you to speak before you were ready. Anyways, I appreciate any aid you can provide and will leave you to your own devices to render it. At the very least your presence will certainly be interesting, sun-worshippers are quite rare these days after all. Though should any light-skinned monks bother you about following established festival days I do have to ask that you try your best to not make a scene."

The vizier directs a deferential nod towards Still River.

Show
    I suppose this is probably a good time to elaborate a bit on Kalek's attitude toward the Immaculate Philosophy, given how long Still River has presumably had to learn of it: though skeptical at best of its theological claims in general and of Dragon-Blooded spiritual primacy in particular, he's quite able to appreciate its teachings as a tool of social order. In particular he's actually quite the fan of the Immaculate Calendar and is well-known to follow it himself as a matter of personal preference, though he's also not averse to the occasional private prayer when it suits him.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2016-09-06 at 04:08 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Tepin gives a polite bow. She really liked doing that it seemed, or she may just be nervous in a new area. "I appreciate that advice, and will do my best to not disrupt the beliefs of anyone here." The girl was idealistic. Probably a bit naive as well. Though she didn't exactly seem helpless... she was not some waif of a priest, her limbs indicated someone used to physical activity. Hopefully she wouldn't have to exercise any of said physical activity.
    Last edited by Kell_tamer; 2016-09-06 at 03:54 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosArchon View Post
    Aivas strides into alleyway where Eo was waiting for him, his buff jacket swaying slightly as he walks. He then looks at Eo imploringly,"So, what information did you have that couldn't be said in public Miss Eo?"
    Eo turns to see him. "Such things concern Still River. If you have a place of security where I could relate this information, I would happily enlighten you."
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Alena nods to Kalek and says, "I suppose you could say that I'm a guard without a city. Hopefully I'll find redemption for my failure here."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Kalek looks quizzically at Alena.

"And what failure would that be? It's hardly reasonable to fault yourself for not personally defeating a miles-tall behemoth and an army of Anathema; that was simply a matter of basic human limitations. You did what you could, lived to tell the tale, and found a new city to defend. There's no shame in that."

Spoiler: Action!
    Show
    Rolling to instill that because I can (). 11-13 dice depending on whether this meeting is "formal" enough that I can use Socialize:

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    (11d10)[1][7][8][9][7][6][10][1][2][7][9](67)

If Socialize is a go: +(2d10)[2][4](6)

If that works then I'm not picky on how you phrase the Minor Principle, though it should be something along the lines of "I did what I could for Thorns and should be proud of that."

I'm helping!

EDIT: Retracting that roll because the way I've been imagining this bit of dialogue Kalek isn't deliberately trying to convince Alena of anything so much as he's just casually opining on the matter.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2016-09-22 at 09:47 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Eo turns to see him. "Such things concern Still River. If you have a place of security where I could relate this information, I would happily enlighten you."
    Chinoe cleans up her nails with a knife, pulling out her tongue with the intense air of someone trying to decipher First Age hieroglyphs before the trapped walls finish closing up.
    "Don't mind me, I'm the boss' right hand", replies the bespectacled thief, pointing briefly at Eo with her improvised tool before resuming the manicure, "If my presence bothers you I'll just, y'know, disappear. Finding some soap to borrow, probably."
    There are better ways to make a decent first impression, depending on what you want that impression to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Kalek bows his head back.

"Oh no, my apologies for pressing you to speak before you were ready. Anyways, I appreciate any aid you can provide and will leave you to your own devices to render it. At the very least your presence will certainly be interesting, sun-worshippers are quite rare these days after all. Though should any light-skinned monks bother you about following established festival days I do have to ask that you try your best to not make a scene."

The vizier directs a deferential nod towards Still River.

Show
    I suppose this is probably a good time to elaborate a bit on Kalek's attitude toward the Immaculate Philosophy, given how long Still River has presumably had to learn of it: though skeptical at best of its theological claims in general and of Dragon-Blooded spiritual primacy in particular, he's quite able to appreciate its teachings as a tool of social order. In particular he's actually quite the fan of the Immaculate Calendar and is well-known to follow it himself as a matter of personal preference, though he's also not averse to the occasional private prayer when it suits him.
    River frowned. "... Indeed."

As far as Kalek was aware, Still River was a believer in the Immaculate Philosophy, but not a zealous one. She'd never been caught doing anything particularly abhorrent and more than once had told off an Immaculate being foolish. She did, however, encourage its adoption.

Quote Originally Posted by Kell_tamer View Post
    Tepin gives a polite bow. She really liked doing that it seemed, or she may just be nervous in a new area. "I appreciate that advice, and will do my best to not disrupt the beliefs of anyone here." The girl was idealistic. Probably a bit naive as well. Though she didn't exactly seem helpless... she was not some waif of a priest, her limbs indicated someone used to physical activity. Hopefully she wouldn't have to exercise any of said physical activity.
    "Just... avoid the immaculate temples. It's safer that way."

Kalek looks quizzically at Alena.

"And what failure would that be? It's hardly reasonable to fault yourself for not personally defeating a miles-tall behemoth and an army of Anathema; that was simply a matter of basic human limitations. You did what you could, lived to tell the tale, and found a new city to defend. There's no shame in that."

Spoiler: Action!
    Show
    Rolling to instill that because I can (). 11-13 dice depending on whether this meeting is "formal" enough that I can use Socialize:

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    [roll0]

If Socialize is a go: +[roll1]

If that works then I'm not picky on how you phrase the Minor Principle, though it should be something along the lines of "I did what I could for Thorns and should be proud of that."

I'm helping!

EDIT: Retracting that roll because the way I've been imagining this bit of dialogue Kalek isn't deliberately trying to convince Alena of anything so much as he's just casually opining on the matter.
    River nodded. "Defeat is a bitter pill to swallow, but one we all must take; there was nothing you could have done."
    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Kalek stays silent for some amount of time, waiting for any more responses from others. Hearing none, he speaks up himself.

"Well then, are there other matters that any of the three of you hoped to discuss or shall we adjourn?"

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Alena smiles slightly and says, "Thank you both. It just...Is hard to overcome." She shakes her head, dispelling the thoughts as she says, "In any event, other than that...I don't believe so."