New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 44: Baby it's cold outside

[Degenburg Castle]

The drow on the throne goes still as sadness and memory wash over him. "He betrayed my trust,and in doing so brought unthinkable pain to one who I loved...still love." Lord Sszinyon closed his eyes, considering. "I could ask you to bring such pain upon his loved ones, but I will not. They are... innocent in this. I still have my honor. I could ask you to bring him here, mewling at my feet, but that too would not do. I cannot touch him. He is no open threat to me or mine. I am prevented from acting against him." The drow rubs a sigil branded into his arm, Ryu might recognize it as a Mark of Justice.

A cruel smile spread across his face. "I wonder if one of the priestesses could be convinced to do to him as was done to my Adin'rar. Turn him into a drider. That would be justice."

"If you cannot manage that, drag him here before me, beaten and bloodied and begging for his end." He pounded a fist into an open hand, liking the image.

"You may find him at the tavern he owns, The Black Dragon's Den. Someone there should be able to point you to him. Rumor has also placed him within my family's palace in Delmah Phor. Tread carefully there. Humans are not generally welcomed within its halls."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Toward the Underdark]

The road here has been the same.

Every single time.

It was the same when Zee and Raril traversed it, too.

White limestone with little bits of grass and moss poking up between them. Well maintained. Fairly even as far as roads that aren't made of asphalt go. Wide enough for two wagons to travel side by side. Yes... the road is always the same.

The country the road meanders through, however, is not. Probably a Nexus thing.

This time around, the landscape is one of rolling hills dotted with limestone pillars, strange markings cut into the soft rock. At the top of each monument a large hole has been cut, through which a length of red cloth is tied. They look quite striking, flapping in the wind as they do. The symbols don't appear to be a language of any sort, just simple geometric shapes. Someone must replace the ragged scarlet cloth regularly, since there aren't any tattered remains littering the fields. Probably by some kind of gnome. Seems like the sort of thing a gnome would do.

Raven is admiring the scenery from atop her father's giant riding lizard. She's lost in thought, considering all the possible ways this venture could go poorly for everyone involved. Someone should probably tell her to be more positive.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Ogre in the Playground

[Toward the Underdark]

Mecha Squiggles keeps pace beside the giant gecko. If he could but speak gecko, he would ask the creature his name. He cannot, alas, and silently continues the journey.

Ilpholin spends more time taking in the sights, pondering nostalgia. It had been over six years since she first came down this road, in the other direction, seeking out her father and having a rather poor first meeting. She hasn't been back since, having helped arrange for the drow moving into Inside and the creation of Delmah Phor, and thus having no need. You would have thought she would at least remember these red flags floating about though. They must be new.

If the Underdark is as volatile as she remembers, then plenty more would be new. Might as well be visiting for the first time. It would be a good test to see how used to the sun she has become. The light is easy to take for granted up here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    [Degenburg Castle]

The drow on the throne goes still as sadness and memory wash over him. "He betrayed my trust,and in doing so brought unthinkable pain to one who I loved...still love." Lord Sszinyon closed his eyes, considering. "I could ask you to bring such pain upon his loved ones, but I will not. They are... innocent in this. I still have my honor. I could ask you to bring him here, mewling at my feet, but that too would not do. I cannot touch him. He is no open threat to me or mine. I am prevented from acting against him." The drow rubs a sigil branded into his arm, Ryu might recognize it as a Mark of Justice.

A cruel smile spread across his face. "I wonder if one of the priestesses could be convinced to do to him as was done to my Adin'rar. Turn him into a drider. That would be justice."

"If you cannot manage that, drag him here before me, beaten and bloodied and begging for his end." He pounded a fist into an open hand, liking the image.

"You may find him at the tavern he owns, The Black Dragon's Den. Someone there should be able to point you to him. Rumor has also placed him within my family's palace in Delmah Phor. Tread carefully there. Humans are not generally welcomed within its halls."
    "I will bring him to justice, but don't expect me to bring him back alive. When I go after a target, I make sure he's dead, and the body is disposed of. I can bring you back evidence of the kill, but to the rest of the world, he will have disappeared." says Ryu. He walks out towards the Black Dragon's Inn. Before he walks out, he turns around and bows in respect.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Toward the Underdark]

Alex admires the scenery, although shi doesn't bother to look at it. What a waste of time that would be when Raven and Ilpholin are looking at it just fine. What pretty little flags. Sad that the limestone will wash away so soon. Someone should redo them in a harder rock. Besides, shi's squeezed in rather close to the nymph, onto the mecha's padded riding space, and it wouldn't do to be a bother.

"Cheer up, Raven. I think there's only supposed to be like two tragedies on this trip."
    That might not be as comforting as Alex imagines it to be.

Now, this is going to be awful, heading so deep underground, with the weight of the whole world pressing down. But that's something else entirely.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Ogre in the Playground

[Toward the Underdark]

"Oh I hope not." Raril mutters. "I can't take much more tragedy in my life. I know it's just wishful thinking, but I hope this is a good trip.... into the Underdark. Yeah. Sure." The drow sighs heavily. "I'm going to miss the sun."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Troll in the Playground

[Degenburg Castle]

Ryu rushes in, but this time in dark blue ninja clothes. He bows and says "Forgive me, but I was not able to kill the target. He and his bodyguards teleported out before I could kill him. However, I can still kill him. I just need to know where I can get some better gear."
    Last edited by 8BitNinja; 2016-12-19 at 12:32 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

[Degenburg Castle]

Sszinyon scowls down at Ryu. "Why should I trust you after this display of incompetence?" The drow growls.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Troll in the Playground

[Degenburg Castle]

Sszinyon scowls down at Ryu. "Why should I trust you after this display of incompetence?" The drow growls.
    "Because I learned that there are devices which can do things that I thought only a wizard could do. There are clothes which can make you silent and invisible, guns that can shoot targets miles away, tools that allow teleportation. If I could get a hold of that gear, I can carry out your task. If I know where to get this gear, the next time you see me, the job will be completed." says Ryu.
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Ogre in the Playground

[Degenburg Castle]

Sszinyon frowns and thinks. He's heard of such things, had used a few himself. "If you think better equipment will get the job done, then use it. Karl!" He called and a young man in leather armor came to stand next to Ryu. "Where might our friend find such things?"

"In the city, my lord? There seems to be a shop for anything in Mallside. Failing that, there's always MagMart." Karl explains.

The drow nods. "There is your answer. Is that sufficient?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Degenburg Castle]

The invisible drone, Violet, has stopped outside the castle and is now using its scrying function, sending images of where it is to Dena's scrying pool. Now who lived here exactly...

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Ogre in the Playground

[Degenburg Castle]

A little research will show that this castle was liberated from its previous owner by Sszinyon Xar'Cha and his companions. The drow is both werewolf and vampire, and has created a pack for himself out of the knights and villagers who reside in the castle and the accompanying village. Sszinyon was real trouble when he first resided in Inside, but has quieted down since meeting the Paladin Endrik Anderson and moving out to the castle.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Troll in the Playground

[Degenburg Castle]

Sszinyon frowns and thinks. He's heard of such things, had used a few himself. "If you think better equipment will get the job done, then use it. Karl!" He called and a young man in leather armor came to stand next to Ryu. "Where might our friend find such things?"

"In the city, my lord? There seems to be a shop for anything in Mallside. Failing that, there's always MagMart." Karl explains.

The drow nods. "There is your answer. Is that sufficient?"
    "Then I will be off. The next time you see me, Raril will be dead." says Ryu. He then runs to Mallside.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    Forest

"Exciting!" Grace says, standing up and stretching. "If you'd like any help, I'd be overjoyed to.
    It's not too far. Well. I mean. It actually is. But it's about a ten minute walk out of these woods, then I've got a car. We head to the ocean, which is maybe another fifteen minute drive, then we take anooother thing down under the water. But that ride's super short.
    So to answer your question, maybe a half hour away from here."
    Idun kind of knows what an hour is. She usually just measures time by the movement of the sun. There's another word that confuses her more though. "Wwwwhhat's a car?"

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Ogre in the Playground

Flooded Caves

Recently, there have been rumors of a large number of wyverns nesting in an area several miles (currently) from the city of Inside, with some oddities in their behaviors. Jace Vallarm and his familiar Zebes have chosen to investigate because well, Khannie is at school today and they're really, really bored. The area has been somewhat temperate for the time of year it is, and so the sorcerer is dressed in his usual jeans, boots, thick shirt, and blue cloak. His usual haversack is replaced with a more waterproof bag, since from the rumors he may have to do some swimming.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Titan in the Playground

[Flooded Caves]

It's not long before Jace encounters first of the wyverns he's heard about. The flying reptile, about the size of a big horse, is perched on a rock above him. Its scales are of dull greenish grey colour, and its claws bite deeply into the rock. A pair of bright yellow eyes peer at the sorcerer from above a sharp beak. There's a strange intelligence to them.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Ogre in the Playground

Flooded Caves

Jace raises an eyebrow at the huge creature, stopping in his tracks to examine it. He's not particularly in the mood to fight such a creature.
    Zebes flashes a simple telepathic greeting to the creature, hoping he can communicate with it and make sure there's no problems between them.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Titan in the Playground

[Flooded Caves]

The wyvern's mind isn't any more complex than that of any large reptile. It's wary of the creatures entering its nesting grounds, but wyverns aren't territorial unless someone gets near a nest. It's clear, on the other hand, something or someone is influencing it and making it act as a lookout.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ogre in the Playground

Flooded Caves

Zebes' telepathy only really works on creatures intelligent enough to understand a language, so all he can gather is that it's a normal wyvern brain. Which is of itself odd given the behavior. The pair will continue towards the caves, undeterred by the incident.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Titan in the Playground

[Flooded Caves]

The wyvern has other plans. It lets go of the rock, and swoops over the pair, screeching loudly. It doesn't attack yet, but it's clearly a warning.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ogre in the Playground

Flooded Caves

Jace smiles and grabs hold of his familiar, his eyes and hands flashing with magic before vanishing into thin air.
    His invisibility spell completed, he attempts to continue on his way without the wyvern noticing. At least far enough to lose it, since the spell only lasts a minute. He hopes its nose isn't too keen.

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Titan in the Playground

[Flooded Caves]

The wyvern is greatly confused by the intruder's disappearance. It circles above the cavern entrance, unable to find Jace.

Once the sorcerer is inside, he'll find that the corridor dips slightly, and the water will soon reach his ankles. The stone around him doesn't seem like an entirely natural formation, but not quite like an artificial tunnel, either.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ogre in the Playground

Flooded Caves

"Success." Jace mutters as his spell drops.
    "One less animal to feel guilty about blowing up, I guess. You wore the nice boots, right?" asks Zebes. "Yeah, the waterproof ones." is the reply as the water rises to Jace's ankles but does not get his socks wet. For now, they continue on without pause.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Titan in the Playground

[Flooded Caves]

As Jace and his pet dragon advance, the water will get deeper, and they will notice a new feature of the tunnel. Several long, fleshy grey tendrils are suspended above the water. They lead towards what looks like a stalactite on the ceiling... only there are no other stalactites there.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Ogre in the Playground

Flooded Cave

A certain narrator is lucky that this is a serious adventure and therefore Zebes can't be mad that an extradimensional being applied the P word to him.

Jace inspects the odd sight before him. While they could simply keep advancing, this prospect seems a bit more interesting than getting his boots further wet. After some silent deliberation between the two, Zebes flutters up to the odd formation and tries to land on it to see what it's really made of.

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Titan in the Playground

[Flooded Caves]

The formation is, in fact, made of flesh. Tough, gummy flesh. It's an organism clinging to the rocky ceiling and extending the tentacles from a toothy maw. It has no eyes or ears. When Zebes flies up, one of the tentacles rises slowly in his direction.

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ogre in the Playground

Flooded Caves

Uh, these. Darn pests. Blast it, Jace. Looks thick-skinned. sends Zebes, and Jace responds by sending a jolt of electricity at the monster. He's hoping it's easily shocked, as it's obviously too wet to burn in this place.

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Titan in the Playground

[Flooded Caves]

The thing spasms, and its tentacles reach out towards Jace. They move with surprising speed, given the apparent pain it seems to be in.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Ogre in the Playground

Flooded Caves

Jace has fought one of these things before. He knows to rely on dodging instead of trying to use his armored bracers or cloak. The sorcerer backs up, dodging the incoming tentacles as he readies and fires another jolt.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Titan in the Playground

[Flooded Caves]

The grabby wall-clinger is hit with another bolt of lightning, and fails its tentacles wildly. Then, the appendages hang limply, and black ooze drips from the maw. The thing is quite dead, but splashing can be heard in a distance.