New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast

Thread: Riverside 18

1. - Top - End - #451
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Riverside 18

[Electra's Phone]

"Let me worry about Jezebel, I've met her before so I think I know how to deal with her. You can try to deal with Stu instead, shouldn't be too hard. The mayor is probably the hardest one to crack though, we will need to work together on that. Find out more about them at the very least. As far as I know, he didn't even exist before the last election. All I know is that they're a magic user of some sort, and that I only know from rumors."

2. - Top - End - #452

NinjaGuy

[Electra's Phone]

"I'll do some checking around and see what I can come up with on the Mayor. I'm already working the Stu angle. That just leaves Tep. Do you know of anyone who might know more about him? I had heard he was basically an agent for Malechenar, but I'm wondering how much truth there is to that."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

3. - Top - End - #453

[Electra's Phone]

"Malechenar?" Dena asks in disbelief. "While I can see why someone believes that, with him having a store in Northside, and with Malechenars specifically dealing with demons like him, I don't believe that's the case. I met him once too actually, not the happiest of meetings, but I think I learned enough. While it is possible that he could be working for them, I'm not so sure. He seems like the type that works for himself, a pretty arrogant dude, all in all. He wouldn't want to work for some warlocks and their masters to become their puppet mayor."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-01-21 at 09:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #454

NinjaGuy

[Electra's Phone]

Well, at least there's confirmation that more investigation into Tep needs to be put into the schedule. As if it wasn't tight enough.

"Arrogance can stem from a lot of things, from how much one knows to how powerful one is, either physically or otherwise. How paranoid do you think he is? Would he notice if someone came for an interview that never got published?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

5. - Top - End - #455

[Electra's Phone]

"He's smart, and he got magic, which is a deadly combination. See, the danger with magic is that you can't really reliably know what it can do, unless you happen to be from exactly the same world as him, then you might have some clue. So you never know if he can read your mind, can turn you into a frog, enslave you, or whatever someone with that power might do. As for paranoid, he's a demon, so I expect at least a bit. The time i met him, we actually tried to offer our protection to the shop. He wasn't too interested however, threw us right out."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-01-21 at 10:19 PM.

6. - Top - End - #456

NinjaGuy

[Electra's Phone]

"Hmmm, well, that makes things a bit more complicated. I might have a way around that, but...I'm not sure how it would work. I'll have to think about it and we'll have to brainstorm a little more. The priorities right now are Jezebel, the Mayor and Stu. I'll be back to my place in another hour or so, if you want to meet in person and maybe go over a few things. Sound good?"

7. - Top - End - #457

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post
    Southside Border

"I didn't think Anti-Heros were supposed to wear whi-ITE!"
    She starts as she tags along with Ringo-1 only to find railguns pointed at them. Her shock is clear but she doesn't hesitate to try and swat the guns aside with one of her huge gauntlets even as she keeps her body between the guns and the Secret Agent Man in case her action causes one of them to go off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Southside Border

No time to answer her questions, explain that he's more partial to green than this lame white Remnant ripoff. While she's busy fighting the thing off, he leaps into a nearby fire escape, clambering up and then bounding off, straight into...a dangling rope ladder that didn't exist a moment ago? Where the hell did that thing come from?!

"Put your fists away, our ride's here!" Ringo-1/Halton/A Perfectly Innocuous NPC shouts, as a massive cloaking field fades away just a few meters above the railgun robot. In its place is a 'hovercopter,' with a rope ladder dangling from one side. The aircraft is more or less exactly as the name implies; it's pretty much just a black helicopter without the noisy, attention-grabbing rotors on top. In fact, one might be tempted to think lazy engineers literally just took a helicopter's rotors off, grafted a few hover-panels to the undercarriage, and called it a day. The large guns mounted on either side are no joke, though. I wouldn't want to take this thing and its silent vanishing act on in a fight if I could avoid it.
    Southside Border

I'm not sure how strong Gemini is. The robot in front is nearly four meter in size and appears very heavy. Actually the robot didn't seem to take her action as an attack, which means the railguns don't start to turn around. he just tries to push her back.

As the 'hovercopter' appears, the main attention of the robot turns up, starting a scan on the suddendly appearing vehicle. The scan is rather simple and may need a few moments. It should be able to detect people, where the main engine is and where the cloaking devise is.

The other robot and his priests have stoped as the first robot got into close combat and now that there is a hovercopter they retreat from the scene.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

8. - Top - End - #458
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Southside Border]

Not getting shot by a hovercopter is the better part of valor, you know. Or something like that.
    Regardless, most of the goons have retreated down the alleyway, leaving a single unlucky fellow to peer around the corner and watch the confrontation between these machines.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #459

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [Electra's Phone]

"Hmmm, well, that makes things a bit more complicated. I might have a way around that, but...I'm not sure how it would work. I'll have to think about it and we'll have to brainstorm a little more. The priorities right now are Jezebel, the Mayor and Stu. I'll be back to my place in another hour or so, if you want to meet in person and maybe go over a few things. Sound good?"
    [Electra's Phone]

"Your place? I don't actually know where you live yet, nor that you had a home." Dena hadn't bothered with finding one as she could live for free in MERC. "I prefer if we'd meet in a tavern somewhere though. Unless you have something you wanted to show me?"

10. - Top - End - #460
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slii Arhem View Post
    The Toy Tinker

Has that sapling always been there? Sticks might find himself asking this as he turns back towards his shop.

No, no of course it hasn't. For one thing, it's growing up through a sidewalk slab quite rapidly, impaling the concrete like a spike through an uppity young vampire needing to be taught a painful lesson in consent. For another, while its unnatural growth slows as it reaches head-height with Sticks, it begins branching out, flowering rapidly and coming into full bloom in a show of great beauty. Tender, pinkish-white blossoms sprout into heavy fall fruits, the apples swelling into ripe readiness even as the trunk of the tree splits vertically with a groaning shudder, revealing a hollow within.

Out from which steps a tall, powerfully built woman, nude but for a patina of rich, crumbling earth that falls from her body with every graceful move but never seems to leave her bare. A slender, long-fingered hand comes up to brush long strands of her dark, green-shimmering hair over a shoulder as she casts the three present a curious glance each before settling on Sticks as her target.

Lenai has come to the city, to see just what has layered itself across her forest so impudently.

"It is rare that I must take notice of magical interference with my realm, and unique that to do so I must venture into the city it surrounds. You've certainly attracted a lot of unwelcome attention, Toy Tinker." Well the good news for Sticks is that the imperious empress of Wildside seems far more amused and curious than annoyed, "I would appreciate an explanation, if it would not inconvenience you to impose."
    [The Toy Tinker]

Sticks does indeed stop, and stands transfixed, dropping what was the beginnings of a glamour so that he might better observe this newcomer. Just as soon as he can find his lower jaw and stop it from dangling, he takes a step back and says, "You-- explanation-- of course! I-I just finished telling these gentlemen--" And at that point Leon does indeed step in, which is a blessing for Sticks, given that the tall man is so busy blustering. He has that moment to watch A-1 burrow into the earth, but seems strangely unconcerned about it. A-1, with as much effort as he's putting in, will likely be able to breach the containment cage... but he'll find it seals itself behind him, if he has occasion to look in all that dirt and darkness.

"Yes, it's exactly as he s-said... well... it's a trifle more complicated than what he said, but it's approximately that. You..."
    Sticks steeples his skinny steel fingers before himself and dips his head. "You're the lady Lenai. Is that not so? I had... I did not think my enchantment would impose upon your realm, my lady, or prove a hindrance. You have the sincerest apologies that a Malkovian sorcerer can provide."

His respects sincerely paid, Sticks opens one of his eyes and raises his head to peer at Lenai. My, is she tall. Sticks is much too used to looking down at people. "It... is but for a night, it's worth stating. A-as soon as I can capture my quarry..."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2017-01-22 at 02:36 PM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

11. - Top - End - #461

NinjaGuy

[Electra's Phone]

"Unless you have a hankering to see Stu's AMEN membership interview yourself, not really. I just had thought it would be a bit more secure from prying eyes and ears than a tavern. Do you have a preference?"

12. - Top - End - #462
    Orc in the Playground

[Now Exiting Riverside]

A very smug ghost on a drill emerges from the ground outside the barrier, silently gloating. Then he pokes the barrier and finds himself locked out. "...well I hope Three's not in there. Then again, knowing him, he'll probably blast the whole thing down if he needs to. Maybe I should stick around and watch for energy weapon fire."

The smugness fades immediately.

"Well," declares the ghost, having left a trail of infrastructure damage in his wake. He probably rampaged through the sewers, and his clothes are ruined. "You've sure gotten yourself into it this time, One. Into the boredom."
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

13. - Top - End - #463

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [Electra's Phone]

"Unless you have a hankering to see Stu's AMEN membership interview yourself, not really. I just had thought it would be a bit more secure from prying eyes and ears than a tavern. Do you have a preference?"
    [Electra's Phone]

There is a pause on the other end of the line. "Guess I'm not the type that likes meeting someone on their turf, makes me feel like they have a advantage over me. Kinda silly really. But where do you live again? I'm curious now."

14. - Top - End - #464

NinjaGuy

[Electra's Phone]

"I have an apartment in Southside, it's..." She rattles off the address. It's actually a decent part of that side of town, if any part of Southside could actually be considered "decent". "We can meet in a tavern if you're not comfortable, I'm just not sure which one would be easier to chat in without being overheard, that's all."

15. - Top - End - #465

[Electra's Phone]

"Southside? Must have got it cheap, I assume. From what I heard, Southside is basically a police state these days, and this is coming from someone who is paid to play police for another police state. I wouldn't feel too safe living there, they could be checking through your house when you aren't home." Dena replies.

16. - Top - End - #466

NinjaGuy

[Electra's Phone]

"Eh, it's complicated." That's the simplest way to describe Electra's current living arrangement. "I'll explain it later, it's not something I really want to discuss on the phone. Speaking of, do you want to meet at my place or at a tavern? If you're more comfortable at a tavern, that's fine with me, I just need to know where to go." She chuckles a bit, now sounding less distracted. Perhaps she's finished shopping?

17. - Top - End - #467

[Electra's Phone]

"Right. What about BDD again then? I'm a regular there after all so I won't draw that much attention." Dena suggests.

18. - Top - End - #468

NinjaGuy

[Electra's Phone]

"Sounds good to me. Anything I should bring aside from myself?"

19. - Top - End - #469

[Electra's Phone]

"Anything related to the mission, and perhaps some discrete clothing. See you there." Then Dena will hang up unless there was anything else.

20. - Top - End - #470

NinjaGuy

[Electra's Phone]

"Got it, see ya there." And with that Electra hangs up.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post
    The Empress' Estate - The Frescots

"There is a modestly labyrinthine library and a stable with a few docile beasts in it they can look at and pet if they feel like it. They are in adjoining rooms." The Empress offers. "I do not see any reason for the youngest to depart however. I have the sense that perhaps you two have already discussed what this is about, but I had wished to go over the ritual involved. As much as I seek to have your husband be in my service, I am not a ruler who would seek to force others into servitude, let alone without the weight of their spouse's words on the matter."
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [The Empress' Estate - The Frescots]

"We had hoped for... just the same thing, Empress,"
    Adir begins. "And I appreciate your considerations. I know my wife did have questions." The stag glances at his dryad. "I mean, I did too. Like... if we could know more about what the job entails?" Adir supposes discussion of the ritual itself will wait till after dinner.

"That seems fine. The kids love animals." And animals love them! It's a nice perk for being fey. The kids are starting to realize they're being discussed, with the oldest three murmuring about seeing animals.

But back to the discussion of the job. It''s still very weird how the Empress talks about it. It's nothing like anyone's ever talked about a job since she's lived in the Nexus. "Uh yeah, I really just want to understand what this job is. It's pretty, uh, different sounding from the kinds of things Adir's done in the past."

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

The Empress' Estate - The Frescots

"I presume you understand what a Knight is?"
    The Empress asks, genuinely believing the two will understand the term. "He would serve me in such a capacity, with all it entails. Even rights to land after we begin to expand if that is his wish. He would help protect this domain and its people, leading and providing a guiding hand when necessary as well as helping to defend it against banditry. Apart from this, he would act as my envoy and voice to others if I need him to travel. He would be paid well for his services, and while I would prefer that he and your family live near by, I would not require it." The Empress explains. "It would not be the safest of duties, but I have seen the care your husband takes in his weapons and have taken stock of all else I have seen of him. He is a man that would greatly benefit this growing realm."

Southside Border

Gemini is incredibly strong, capable of throwing cars around with a single hand and only minor effort, but she takes great care to only use enough force to try and knock the railguns away from her without damaging the robot. When she spots the hover-copter and hears Ringo-1's offer of a ride, she doesn't hesitate though and runs past anyone in her way. She doesn't bother to grab onto a rope and gestures with her wand. "GEMINI...SPLIT!" She shouts with the sweeping rod. Her form instantly splits in two with a flash of orange light and both of her act independently. One kneels down, cupping her gauntlets together to catch the second one's foot before launching her into the air. Another flash a second later and there's only the flying Gemini who attempts to latch onto the hover-copter gingerly to avoid damaging it.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Barbarian in the Playground

Southside Border

"I was wondering when the whole Gemini twins aspect was going to be a thing," Halton remarks, as he extends a hand to help Gemini in, as the thing hurriedly speeds up and away towards Wildside, to discourage its assailants from pursuing.

And I was wondering when you'd explain why you're jeopardizing everything for the sake of a complete stranger, Haz," the hovercopter pilot (who is definitely, totally just a generic NPC and nothing else) butts in, adding yet another name to our man of mystery's ever-growing list of aliases.

"You can't just use my codename like that, we've got rules! We-" Haz pauses, realizing the folly of arguing on behalf of rules he just spent the last few minutes actively flipping off so he could go do his own thing. "She was in danger, and I thought I had time, I didn't know the General's men would come investigating so soon. You can't tell me you really think leaving someone to die would help us win Southside's hearts and minds, do you?"

The pilot frowns, but doesn't answer. Too busy watching the radar, waiting for an excuse to open fire on anyone who feels like giving chase.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

24. - Top - End - #474

Adir gapes just a little bit as he's given a thorough explanation, and swallows before he glances at Sakura. Grinning, as though it were all wrapped up and topped with a bow. "There. See? Nothing to it. Probably better than me taking up with mercenaries again." Or VIGIL, for that matter.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

25. - Top - End - #475

[The Toy Tinker]

Sticks does indeed stop, and stands transfixed, dropping what was the beginnings of a glamour so that he might better observe this newcomer. Just as soon as he can find his lower jaw and stop it from dangling, he takes a step back and says, "You-- explanation-- of course! I-I just finished telling these gentlemen--" And at that point Leon does indeed step in, which is a blessing for Sticks, given that the tall man is so busy blustering. He has that moment to watch A-1 burrow into the earth, but seems strangely unconcerned about it. A-1, with as much effort as he's putting in, will likely be able to breach the containment cage... but he'll find it seals itself behind him, if he has occasion to look in all that dirt and darkness.

"Yes, it's exactly as he s-said... well... it's a trifle more complicated than what he said, but it's approximately that. You..."
    Sticks steeples his skinny steel fingers before himself and dips his head. "You're the lady Lenai. Is that not so? I had... I did not think my enchantment would impose upon your realm, my lady, or prove a hindrance. You have the sincerest apologies that a Malkovian sorcerer can provide."

His respects sincerely paid, Sticks opens one of his eyes and raises his head to peer at Lenai. My, is she tall. Sticks is much too used to looking down at people. "It... is but for a night, it's worth stating. A-as soon as I can capture my quarry..."
    The Toy Tinker

"The bees, trees, and myself are unharried. In fact I daresay I could have offered a tunnel outwards for the impatient fellow, were he not in such a hurry. However, Wildside has attracted and become home to many predators of a rather powerful nature, but not so powerful that they were not trapped by your impressive circle magics." Lenai raises a hand, gesturing to the door as she cups her elbow with the other hand, silently inquiring if she will be allowed entrance to his shop.

Her hips shift as she adjusts her stance, a coy half-smile adorning her normally too-serious features, "That is, in fact, why I'm here. Riverside grows large and dense, and I do not doubt it will demand more space to grow outwards eventually. But I cannot move the trees and keep the beasts they house contained within them at once. I've been interested in contracting someone capable of aiding me on that front, before it becomes a necessity."
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

26. - Top - End - #476

Southside Border

The robot groupe won't start the attack. They only scan the hovercopter as far as possible. After they are out of range, they continue to the point where Gemini droped down. They still want to see what happened there.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

27. - Top - End - #477
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Southside Border]

The goons are also going to let them go. Chasing a hovercopter on foot was going to be dicey at best.

But a pair of them will go to investigate Gemini's crash site once the coast seems clear.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #478

Quote Originally Posted by Slii Arhem View Post
    The Toy Tinker

"The bees, trees, and myself are unharried. In fact I daresay I could have offered a tunnel outwards for the impatient fellow, were he not in such a hurry. However, Wildside has attracted and become home to many predators of a rather powerful nature, but not so powerful that they were not trapped by your impressive circle magics." Lenai raises a hand, gesturing to the door as she cups her elbow with the other hand, silently inquiring if she will be allowed entrance to his shop.

Her hips shift as she adjusts her stance, a coy half-smile adorning her normally too-serious features, "That is, in fact, why I'm here. Riverside grows large and dense, and I do not doubt it will demand more space to grow outwards eventually. But I cannot move the trees and keep the beasts they house contained within them at once. I've been interested in contracting someone capable of aiding me on that front, before it becomes a necessity."

"Uh... after you,"
    Sticks says, waving her ahead of him with open hands and a permanently flabbergasted expression. The door is still open, so she can find her way into the modest little toy shoppe without any trouble at all. Three shelves run the length of the store before them, scattered with all manner of childish diversions, and some particularly masterful pieces (wooden dragons, real flying miniature dirigibles, and their like) hang from the ceiling by thin wire.

Sticks wrings his hands, giving Leon one last look before he follows Lenai. And upon hearing her proposal... "You wish for me to help... move trees?" Sticks blinks stupidly. This was not how he expected this evening to go at all.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

[The Toy Tinker]

Leon sees that he's not the one the lady came for and chuckles as he was worried for a moment that some local Gaia figure had noticed an offworlder and decided to expel the foreign pestilence. Still, that she didn't, and apparently needed help moving trees was more than enough relief for Leon. He wasn't dealing with the angry spirit of the planet who was going to crack open the world and fight him at the planet's core for daring to trespass on her soil, no, she needed Mr.Gangly to help her move some dirt. So with a chuckle he'd say

"Well if you and the lady need some alone time far be it from me to keep you two apart. Enjoy pushing dirt~"

He said with a guffaw before he'd turn and head off. Leon wasn't the type to needlessly interfere with others business, and if someone was doing something that disinteresting he was less likely to even poke his nose into their business to see what was going on. So with little more pomp and circumstance the daemonkin would withdraw his shovel and slice the air, an umbral fissure being carved out of space as he'd step through it, the hole in the void sealing up behind him, leaving only the echoes of his laughter behind.

30. - Top - End - #480

"Uh... after you,"
    Sticks says, waving her ahead of him with open hands and a permanently flabbergasted expression. The door is still open, so she can find her way into the modest little toy shoppe without any trouble at all. Three shelves run the length of the store before them, scattered with all manner of childish diversions, and some particularly masterful pieces (wooden dragons, real flying miniature dirigibles, and their like) hang from the ceiling by thin wire.

Sticks wrings his hands, giving Leon one last look before he follows Lenai. And upon hearing her proposal... "You wish for me to help... move trees?" Sticks blinks stupidly. This was not how he expected this evening to go at all.
    The Toy Tinker

The demigoddess laughs, politely covering her mouth as an unfeminine snort breaks her giggling. The tree just outside of the shop bends over and extends a branch inside the open door, wrapping around the handle and closing it all without so much of a creak or snap from the new, green wood.

"The trees move just fine on their own. I need someone's help to ensure that if and when I do move them, I will not be letting a menagerie of powerful, magical, predatory and cunning beasts into Riverside. Keeping them contained in the wilds is no trouble now, but if I move my trees out from the city, they would have to spread apart by necessity. And with more distance between them the gaps would be more than large enough for a clever carnivore to slip through. I could grow more trees ahead of the needful move, but that would seem like expanding my domain too thickly around Riverside to some, and I don't want the show of power to provoke unnecessary fears." Lenai is perfectly fine with a healthy, well-deserved level of fear around her, just so long as it doesn't reach the pitch-forks and laughably puny torches stage.

"So, if I was looking for a barrier such as yours, but more specialized and shaped to keep some animals out of Riverside, rather than in, would you be willing to consider the commission?" She looks up, eyeing the wooden dragon and other models overhead.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.