New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Chapter 1: The Rise of the Ancients. (IC)

The caravan leader is a tall human male is his late 40s. He greets you well enough once proper papers are produced, and shows you where you can store any equipment you don't want to carry with you directly. He also points out 4 sturdy looking horses and says those are for you to.use while riding north with the caravan.

"I'm to cover your food on the road North, but I'll drop some extra coin in your pockets if you would lend a hand with guard duty as well. We've been having minor bandit troubles as of late and the road isn't as safe as it once was. We'll be leaving shortly, make ready."

With that he turns away and calls out to some other people.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zexionthefirst View Post
    "Perchance, in the future, could you refrain from so boisterously declaring yourself a mater lockpick? I have
    no judgment of your skill, but with guards and citizens about. And impressionable children..."

"You misjudge me sir; I am no sneak thief or common burglar, but a trained professional in an open and honorable trade. Who does the town guard call when the keys break off in their rusty cell doors? Who do they wealthy nobles call when grandpa accidentally locks himself the family vault? Who does the church call when they need someone to open the long forgotten locked doors of a thousand year old mausoleum? They call a master lock-pick, or lock-smith if you prefer, though I find the name is misleading - I could no sooner forge a lock than a sword. But that's not my point. They call someone like me."
    Last edited by golahm; 2017-05-04 at 08:32 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Kryas blinks slowly at Garrett. Very, very slowly. After a moment, he turns his head to the caravan driver, and politely gets his attention.

"Guard duty, you say? I'm sure our group would be more than happy to assist with that. Though,
    I must remind you that we are members of the Adventure's Guild. And members of the Adventure's Guild are strong, knowledgeable, and in high demand. How much would you be paying our little band for such services?
    "

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy Roll to get a higher payment for helping with guard duty (1d20+7)[26]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

((my last post for tonight I'm exhausted and just got done working a 10-hour shift))

The caravan leader scratches his head in thought at Kyras' words.

"Well......when you put it like that...I normally pay my caravan guards 10 gold a day, but they bring their own foodstuffs....I guess I could do the same for you and keep my end of the bargain, 4 days travel, at 10 gold each.....lets say 40 gold each when we reach the Keep? Its probably gonna be one of the last trains north till spring melt so these supplies are much needed."

((It's late fall, temps at night in this part of the world are starting to drop into the 40sF (4C) at night, and this is the upper middle latitudes so winters can be rather cold and icy. Dwarf, you think its hot this far from your mountains
    where a normal winter storm can see temps dropping into the double digit negative numbers, Halfling, it's 60 degrees out right now and for you thats rather chilly, since you're from an area that at this time of year is late spring early summer. Human, this is normal temps for you so act accordingly, and half elf, you're about the same))
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garret throws back his cloak with dramatic flair, drawing a massive (for his tiny frame) heavy repeating crossbow. It seems to be in horrible condition, covered in deep gouges and burn marks, and even what might be termite damage in the wooden stock. Its frail and ill-kept looking bowstring strains dangerously close to breaking, even without being stretched back to accommodate a bolt, and those teeth that are not missing entirely on the gears of its reloading mechanism are bent and covered in rust.

Speaking in an overly dramatic voice more fitting the main character of a melodrama than an adventurer he addresses the caravan leader;
    "Have no fear, good sir! Garret Fedrick is on the job."
    With that he dramatically swirls his cloak behind him, scampering off towards the food wagon to 'inspect' whats for lunch at a breakneck pace that makes his cloak fly out behind him like a superheroes cape.
    Last edited by golahm; 2017-05-04 at 09:03 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Hearing Garret from back where she was standing, she steps up to Kyras and asks, "What's that all about?"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"How would you feel about making some extra gold on the journey? If we help with guard duty,
    we'll get payed an extra 40 gold. I would assume, based on Garret's reaction, he approved of the situation.
    " Kryas let out a soft chuckle. "Whilst we're waiting for the caravan to finish preparations, would you care to tell me about yourself? I am rather curious about new people.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Colossus in the Playground

Sasha nods when offered guard duty, saying Guard duty sounds fine. I wouldn't mind a fair fight, though of course, it's better to hope for safe travel.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garret introduces himself to the various caravan workers as they go about their jobs, and tries to ingratiate himself to them, especially the cook. He also tries to dig for rumors and more information about their destination and what perils they may face on the road.

Diplomacy (1d20+4)[14]
    Gather Information (1d20+4)[15]

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

"That sounds like a very fair deal indeed! Count me in. I don't mean to have been so quiet about myself, I guess I'm a little shy around new faces, is all. There isn't all that much to say, though. My mother only lived long enough to name me, and my father moved us out of the city to a small farm he rented. Pretty much every day he trained me with a sword. Once he died, I took to the road, offering a hand where I can in exchange for food, a place to sleep or a little coin where it could be spared. How about you good folks?"
    Tess seems friendly enough, but there's definitely a shyness or something there.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"I am sorry to hear that you've lost your family. I can not... I would not wish to think about how I would deal with that.. A pause, in which Kryas does his best to give a comforting smile. "I am glad that you found your way here, however. I don't know why, but I feel like we'll be having a fantastic adventure together.

"As for myself? I'm but a half-breed from humble means, gifted with magic. And lucky enough to develop those powers. But there isn't much of a story to tell. Kryas then turned to Sasha, and added, "Yourself? Until the caravan is ready, I would love to hear about you. What of your god or gods?
    And, of course, if the caravan becomes ready to set off soon, we can continue this conversation upon the ride.
    Isn't that right, Tess?
    "

The last part Kryas added in the hopes of ensuring the Dwarven lady that he was interested in her story, and not just asking to kill time. Though, he was also getting a bit antsy waiting for the journey to start.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Zexionthefirst View Post
    "And, of course, if the caravan becomes ready to set off soon, we can continue this conversation upon the ride.
    Isn't that right, Tess?
    "

The last part Kryas added in the hopes of ensuring the Dwarven lady that he was interested in her story, and not just asking to kill time. Though, he was also getting a bit antsy waiting for the journey to start.
    Tess nods amiably, and is also curious abut Sasha's story, she turns with interest to the Dwarf. "Seems we'll have plenty of time to get to know one another as we travel." Somewhere, inwardly, an ice cold spike of fear pierces her. She knows they may well learn her true gender, and then what? The scars on her back itched guiltily.

((OOC: Glad we all just instinctively chose a color for our character's speech! Super easy to see who is talking and when within a post. ))

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Garrett:

You find most of the caravan members in good humor, the only thing they seem worried about is getting to their destination in one piece and before the first snows fly. Some speak hesitantly of rogue humans that are lazy and rob legit trains like themselves so they don't have to buy anything.

You guys seem a rather humbly dressed young human male talking with expressive gestures with the caravan leader. You hear a hearty laugh and the leader clapping the younger man on the shoulder, then pointing to your group.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Brother Ukiah took the hearty slap to the back in stride. He was six foot, four inches tall, a SOLID 194lbs, with brown hair kept closely shorn, a eyes gray as the morning mist that covers the Dragonspine Mountains. His clothes were rough-spun robes and a cloak that allowed freedom of movement, and his gear was also humble. His bedroll and blanket were rolled and wrapped about his torso, a haversack with a few rations and a spare change of clothes. About his hands were cloth strips.

The young "adept of the fist" bowed in greeting to the others. "Greetings, I am Ukiah of the Dragonspire Brotherhood."
    Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 2017-05-06 at 03:10 PM.
    Tabhain faoi na réaltaí. “Reach for the stars.”

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Krays turned his attention way from the Dwarven cleric, looking to the newcomer. Saddened that he wouldn't have a chance to hear of Sasha's travels or past just yet, Kryas still gave Ukiah a heartwarming smile. Mimicking the the bow, Kryas said "Good day to you. Are you also traveling with this caravan? Or are you too here on busness with the adventures' Guild?
    Last edited by Zexionthefirst; 2017-05-06 at 01:37 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I'm here at the request of the Brotherhood, actually. Investigating the... 'happenings'... that have been reported. I'm not averse to getting an extra bit of coin for my few needs; however, I'll not cut into your pay from the Adventurer's Guild. My pay would be a fair share in whatever gold or gear is to be had as loot on this adventure. I'd be honored to have you all as travelling companions," Ukiah smiled.
    "I do hope you won't mind if I volunteer before hand for every Third Watch beforehand?"
    ((Ukiah would practice Tai Chi in the pre-nautical twilight out of habit on his shifts))

Ukiah continued, after a moment's consideration, "Also, in further answer to your questions, Guildmember-san, I'm not a member of the Guild; I am a Seeker of Knowledge. The Seekers are specialized orders within the Brotherhood; there is little more I can say that would explain them."
    Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 2017-05-06 at 03:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Before the caravan heads out Garret makes his way to the wagon where the caravan master indicated extra gear could be stowed and offloads his pack. He extracts his studded leather armor, an extensive array of daggers and throwing knives, a few pouches, belts and bandoleers, the spare ammunition cases for his crossbow, and a long bayonet. He takes a few minutes to armor up, crossing two bandoleers full of knives and ammo across his chest, attaches the bayonet to his crossbow, carefully hides a few extra knives about his person, ties back his wild hair in a black bandana, and then completes the the ensemble by throwing his heavy woolen hooded travelers cloak over it.

He struts back over to the party with a grim determined scowl on his face, looking much more the part of mercenary adventurer than he did earlier with his impish grin, miss-buttoned crumb covered jam stained shirt, and wildly messy bed hair. He might have almost managed to look intimidating as he gives the new guy the once over with glare from beneath his hood, but he can't manage to hold the melodramatic scowl and tough guy act for more than a second or two, busting out with a laugh as the impish grin returns. He thrusts out a hand, clearly intent on shaking.

"I'm Garret, the famous adventurer. It is a pleasure to meet you. Are you heading out with the caravan, or did you just stop by for our autographs?"

Spoiler
    Show
    He hides a dagger up his right sleeve, in his left boot, and in his armor near the small of his back. (Daggers are easy to hide granting a +2 bonus on checks to hide them, and baggy clothing like a hooded cloak grants an additional +2, bringing my bonus up from +9 to +13)
    Sleight of Hand (1d20+13)[33]
    Sleight of Hand (1d20+13)[24]
    Sleight of Hand (1d20+13)[33]
    Last edited by golahm; 2017-05-07 at 01:54 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Both the city guard and the caravan guard notice nothing much as they make ready, and before long the call goes out for everyone to mount up and get moving.

Two days on the road, you are now out past the farming communities, into the less tame side of the wilderness. The trip has been uneventual and the 4 heavily loaded wagons that you have been following. Most of the members of the caravan are related in some form or fashion, and there are several who can play instraments and sing so the evenings are rarely dull.

By the evening of the third day, soon after camp has been set up and the evening meal the caravan guards seem uneasy and are asking those who can to help keep an eye on everything, essentially doubling the guard.

((Perception checks, and initiave rolls please))

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sarlon View Post
    Two days on the road, you are now out past the farming communities, into the less tame side of the wilderness. The trip has been uneventful and the 4 heavily loaded wagons that you have been following. Most of the members of the caravan are related in some form or fashion, and there are several who can play instruments and sing so the evenings are rarely dull.
    Garret almost feels at home during the journey, the traveling caravan reminding him of his own upbringing among one of the bands of nomadic halflings that crisscrosses the lands to the South. He is happy to dance and sing along to the music, and will occasionally tell an amusing anecdote or exaggerated tale of adventure around the campfire, usually detailing one of his own (purely fictional) exploits, but occasionally he includes a wildly fantastic distortion of a historical figure just to mix things up. If questioned about the veracity of the tales, he only winks, and says "If its not true, it ought to be."

Quote Originally Posted by sarlon View Post
    By the evening of the third day, soon after camp has been set up and the evening meal the caravan guards seem uneasy and are asking those who can to help keep an eye on everything, essentially doubling the guard.((Perception checks, and initiative rolls please))
    Garret looks for a good spot to hide in the camp where he can shoot at bandits unseen from cover; under, in, or on top of one of the wagons, up in a tree or bush, behind a barrel or stack of firewood, etc.

Perception (1d20+7)[17]
    Initiative (1d20+5)[15]
    Last edited by golahm; 2017-05-08 at 07:19 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

((I'm about to go into work and my phone won't let me see rolls, so if everyone can get their rolls in in the next 10 hours we will start))

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Tess introduces herself to Ukiah, offering her rough work-worn hand in greeting. She eyes Garret, becoming suspicious of someone who has to constantly say he's famous.

Link to rolls

Perception (1d20+6)[23]

Initiative (1d20+3)[12]
    Last edited by tschel23; 2017-05-07 at 01:10 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ukiah has kept an eye on Garret the entire way, and has even TRIED to introduce his fellows to the relaxation --and power-- of Tai Chi.

Knowledge History 1d20+4 ((to check Garret's story))
    Perception 1d20+6
    Initiative 1d20+3

Editted since the *ahem* code I used didn't seem to work, so I'm just going to scream and just roll RL dice.

Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 2017-05-07 at 11:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Kryas nods to the guards.

Perception: (1d20+3)[9]
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[20]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

...uhm... bump?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Waiting on the cleric post guys sorry))

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

((Did anyone PM (private message) him? Hope the player is OK.))

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by tschel23 View Post
    ((Hope the player is OK.))
    Hmm. Checked JNAproductions user profile and they appear to be actively posting in other threads including recruitment threads for other games... Has JNA abandoned us?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

I sent them a message, I'll give them a week to reply or message me.))

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: OCC
    Show
    I'm still here. Ready to post when everything is sorted out.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    If the plot of this game can be summed up as "Lizards **** really hard and good"...

Good game. Best game. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by martixy View Post
    Wow... that's such a telegraphed straw-man, you can see it from SPACE.

Spoiler: My Homebrew in progress
    Show

Classes:
    1) MonsterShaman: Something for DMs to use on NPCs to add a bit of flavor.

Spells:
    1) Static Fulmination
    2) Protection From Dragons

My Archive

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

A call goes up from one of the watchers on guard...

As the sun begins setting in the west you see a handful of either small creatures or medium creatures crouching low to the ground, sneaking toward the camp through the few trees and grass, though its hard to tell what they are due to the sun setting in your eyes.

you hear a command being shouted "dral daal alkhuul dhuul daan darluuc!" and a volley of arrows comes flying into the camp.

Kryas 20
    ukiah 18
    Garret 15
    Tess 12

Here's the initiative order. what are you doing?
    Last edited by sarlon; 2017-05-25 at 08:45 PM.