New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Re: OOTS #1071 - The Discussion Thread

To be fair, working around Scoundrel and Elan probably means percussive maintenance is a viable engineering strategy. Doesn't extend to flying by the seat of your pants, though.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Welcome back Mr. Burlew. Thanks for the new comic
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I sense the inevitable end of Andi's captaincy fast approaching.
    Heh, now I'm wondering if Andi dies because a confused frost giant lops off her head.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

The sidebar link to the comic on the forum page still goes to 1070. The one from the front page displays correctly and goes to the right one, though.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I notice that Andi is still tackling these problems as if they were engineering issues. We'll see how that works.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Well, if this is how Andi tackles engineering issues, she's also a rotten engineer. "Trial and error" is NOT how you fix a machine, in my experience. That approach implies that you just replace every part at random until you get around to the one that's actually broken. Maybe I'm wrong here, but don't actual engineers know enough about their machines to have a pretty good idea what's wrong before they start working on them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Heh, now I'm wondering if Andi dies because a confused frost giant lops off her head.
    I doubt it. That would end the subplot without resolving it, and that's not Rich's style.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    I doubt it. That would end the subplot without resolving it, and that's not Rich's style.

It's an ice thought, though.
    I has Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

lol after a not very enjoyable day, the last couple of panels of this comic greatly cheered me up.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

While my preferred resolution is that Bandana and the rest of the crew hold her responsible for mutiny, Andi getting killed because she's at the captain's helm when the frost giant goes over there would still be "as a result of [her] own choices."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Well, if this is how Andi tackles engineering issues, she's also a rotten engineer. "Trial and error" is NOT how you fix a machine, in my experience. That approach implies that you just replace every part at random until you get around to the one that's actually broken. Maybe I'm wrong here, but don't actual engineers know enough about their machines to have a pretty good idea what's wrong before they start working on them?
    Ideally, yes. And if not, and time permits, you learn about the machine and read the specs before you screw with it. But in theory, you could have an emergency situation where you need to make a decision with incomplete information and no means to get more information in time. (ex: A Tsunami just wiped out all power to your nuclear reactor cooling machinery at Fukashima, or Hurricane Katrina just exceeded all designed expectations of your levee system and you need to get what pumps you can get working online and prevent the few that are online from suffering failure from water being where it should not be.)

Though, you could just as easily argue that if you find yourself in such a situation, whoever did the original design, already failed miserably as an engineer.

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Ah, our glorious heroine returns with brilliant ideas.

I've missed watching people contort themselves jsutifying her every action.

Forum gonna be interesting again.
    I may have missed it, or this might be a joke post, but I haven't actually seen anybody defending her actions in a long while.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Her career going caput?
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Weren't Saturns made by Toyota?
    Saturns were made by GM.

Scions were made by Toyota.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by luxgladius View Post
    I feel like I must be missing something obvious. What is Andi talking about in the second panel of the comic? What could she have sworn she saw? She said she thought she could see plains in an earlier strip. Did she just not, or is there some kind of illusion or something going on?
    Calling it now: Dragon. A reeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally big f***ing white dragon. Far from the only possible answer, or even the most likely, but not impossible. Because why would the number of people trying to kill them stay the same when it could increase?
    Yes, I know that link was a bad example - that's actually the joke. ouo
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Calling it now: Dragon. A reeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally big f***ing white dragon. Far from the only possible answer, or even the most likely, but not impossible. Because why would the number of people trying to kill them stay the same when it could increase?
    Yes, I know that link was a bad example - that's actually the joke. ouo
    I just reread that comic today. This would be the perfect moment to introduce another threat.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    To be fair, trial and error is how most things are learned. Unless they are able to go so far above the pass that they can actually get a birds eye view on the whole thing (which they cant), its pretty much they only way they have to explore it. The problems are coming about because she is ignoring the consequences of the "error" part.
    Trial and error might be a learning method that works, but I sure hope an engineer doesn't need to learn how to fix the ship while it needs to be fixed right now

I mean, sure, "try stuff and see what works" can be useful, but not in an urgent combat situation.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2017-05-19 at 03:41 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107

Better to stop the giant damaging the ship then attack her in an important area of the ship than her damaging the ship then attack her in an unimportant area of the ship. Randomness is dangerous but it's better than damage happening now.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It's good that the ship is turning back, towards where it had just left Haley and Co.
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Does anyone else wonder what that smoke means? Or is it because the bizarre orders of the "engineer" are considered aerobatics, and they turned on the smoke to make the figures more visible?

And I feel it is about time for an epic animal sidekick moment.
    --rh
    Last edited by randomhalfling; 2017-05-19 at 05:45 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZMiles View Post
    Looks like Andi is improving as a captain and giving sensible, calm orders, which is nice to see. (Although, is there some reason they can't just stop going forwards? There's no other giants around except the one onboard, and moving doesn't seem to be inhibiting her, so maybe it would make sense to stop and let Roy kill it and then figure out where to go from there, or even get more gas into the blimp envelope. Is there maybe some wind that would blow them into a mountain if they tried to stop making lateral motion?)

Elan is continuing to contribute, which is awesome. I'm really liking how he's becoming a useful and powerful part of the team.
    I said this, like, strips ago. Just stop already instead of dodging mountains. There's no threat from above or below now they are off the pass. Deal with the giantess; maybe even land, then repair and send for the rest of the party.

21. - Top - End - #111

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by randomhalfling View Post
    Does anyone else wonder what that smoke means? Or is it because the bizarre orders of the "engineer" are considered aerobatics, and they turned on the smoke to make the figures more visible?

And I feel it is about time for an epic animal sidekick moment.
    --rh
    I think the black smoke coming from beneath the ship suggests that last crash was more than a scuff mark. Maybe the engines are damaged, possibly a bit on fire.

Who's checking those things right now?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    When you're debugging software, the answer is "no". It can sometimes take many experiments and tests to isolate the problem, which can then be corrected.

I've seen the same thing in the auto shop; While a mechanic may have a reasonably good idea what the issue is, a lot of times it's still a good idea to check the onboard diagnostics before opening 'er up. And in a few cases the symptoms could result from a number of different problems, and it will require some experiments to narrow it down before a proper diagnosis can be made.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2017-05-19 at 08:08 AM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I think the black smoke coming from beneath the ship suggests that last crash was more than a scuff mark. Maybe the engines are damaged, possibly a bit on fire.

Who's checking those things right now?
    The engineer I guesOH RIGHT
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Colossus in the Playground

I think your idea of what the subplot is is different from mine.

Andi is an antagonist, probably a single-arc antagonist. "Her head gets lopped off as she draws breath to continue to declaim how she's right about everything" would be as much of a resolution to the subplot involving her as most antagonists get.

(I don't think that'll happen because Lesser Confusion only lasts one round, but I won't be at all surprised if something causes her to die abruptly any strip now.)

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

you know andy trying to dodge the giantess and giving orders might be to much for her since she dont have daring engineer on her class sheet she might crit fail the important roll( probably acrobatics so the can hit the propellers which some how fix the engine problem) and conveniently exit stage right her from plot
    daring engineer basicly daring outlaw for her
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

26. - Top - End - #116

Beholder

You know you're in trouble when compelling your opponent to act chaotically is only a minor net improvement for your team.

Well done & welcome back Rich.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

I saw some forumites perceiving this turnaround as an opportunity of Roy to get the sword back.

Really? It's kinda the opposite for me. Do trial and error like an errand, when the ship is losing quote on a completely white unmarked terrain, it is the way to loose it for good until something special does not arise (for example: Locate object? nah, too lame. Eugene help? wouldn't be cool? or awake the Returning property?)

I guess this is just the setup of something other, but this can't be the way to fly gently near the sword and recover it :)

Edit: typos and details
    Last edited by Rinazina; 2017-05-19 at 09:36 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rinazina View Post
    I saw some forumites perceiving this turnaround as an opportunity of Roy to get the sword back.

Really? It's kinda the opposite for me. Do trial and error like an errand, when the ship is losing quote on a completely white unmarked terrain, it is the way to loose it for good until something special does not arise (for example: Locate object? nah, too lame. Eugene help? wouldn't be cool? or awake the Returning property?)

I guess this is just the setup of something other, but this can't be the way to fly gently near the sword and recover it :)

Edit: typos and details
    They shouldn't be losing quote anymore, courtesy of the last, working, mending.
    I agree that this seems the set for something else instead of managing to retrieve Roy's sword , though.

On the other hand I never correctly foresee the plot twists, so...

Re-edit: thinking twice about it, I suppose that if this was a RL airship they would continue to lose quote as long as they don't compensate dropping something heavy, to compensate for the lost gas.

Tri-edit: substitute "quote" with "height". Thanks to GW for informing me.
    Last edited by Dr.Zero; 2017-05-19 at 10:09 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    You keep using this word. I don't think it means what you think it means. Context suggest you mean height? Buoyancy? Lift?

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

30. - Top - End - #120
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    You keep using this word. I don't think it means what you think it means. Context suggest you mean height? Buoyancy? Lift?

GW
    Yes, a false friend. Sigh!