New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: At the Edge of Humanity {IC}

The others around the Lady look at her as if she's crazy, but she stands from her seat and beckons her stag. She speaks with one of her followers, and in her wake many elves, watching from the treelines, come down to you. One in formal robes who was speaking to Lady Ren'Alliss, looks warily at Jerid and Watt, then turns to Omar. I'm instructed by the Lady to show you all to whatever accommodations you desire. In this market proper, there's an inn run by a half-elf family, and closer to our tree-line, there are tree-holdings that even fit large beasts in them.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2017-06-09 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Revised writing.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

2. - Top - End - #722
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Verin

Verin rubs its hand-claws together in glee at the thought of 50000 gold. "Between me an' Jerid I think we take up 'bout a normal sized amount'a space fer 2 now. Ye got temples aorund here somewhere too?"

3. - Top - End - #723
    Troll in the Playground

The elf pauses. ...There are temples, but I don't know if there are ones of the gods you might venerate. In our township, a quarter mile north of the March, there is a grove that can be used for many rites and prayers. Many gods are welcome there; perhaps that's your best bet?

more

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

At first Omar is literally at a loss for words at the thought of that much money. But it's not as if he's going to be buying a mansion and a yacht anytime soon... "Thank you very much for your help and generosity." So not a total loss for words, but close...
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

5. - Top - End - #725
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Jerid (in his human form) is taken aback by the amount of money being offered. He could actually have a proper hoard now! Though he can't resist baring his teeth a little at the nervous elf. He switches it to a smile when Watt gives him a look.

"You are such a child," the ranger whispers.

"Yup!" Jerid quietly chirps back.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Alala's only actually had money for... what, three weeks now? So she takes the 50,000 award in stride, more or less totally missing the fact that it's actually a lot.

"Just wish I'd talked fast enough to get my hands on that bow, " she notes to herself. Then a touch louder: "I guess there's enough money there for me to pick up a couple more weapons, right? I was thinking about getting some decent lances - instead of the crude throwaway ones I normally use. Maybe get a couple more links added to my chain... pick up a nasty-looking battleaxe, just for show...

Oh, accommodation! Ah... I think one of those tree places is probably a better idea. I, for one, don't really fit in half-elf sized beds. And most of them aren't the same after taking my weight, anyway...
    "

7. - Top - End - #727
    Troll in the Playground

Soon after you've all been situated amongst the tree-rests, Tai requests a master-crafter. When the crafter arrives a few hours later, Tai submits a long list-order, and asks each of you to give half the gold you'd just received to the elderly elf. He and the elf confer and haggle, and Tai agrees to give up his own 50,000 gold for a series of "rush jobs," but in the end the merchant agrees to the prices for the items. "It will take me and my assistants two weeks at least to finish these at a rushed pace." "Good," says Tai, a glimmer in his eyes that show the telltale signs of a rat who's made "friends" with someone for a while. No doubt he's made quite the orders.
    Spoiler: Indeed, he has!
    Show
    Jeridexeles - Collar of Amperage (neck slot): This belt works to Maximize any Lighting Breath or spell; thus, any Lightning spell or effect does maximum damage dice. Furthermore, the collar has 3 sapphire gems. These are spell-storing gems; each will hold up to any 4th-level spell or a 9th level electrical spell (such as Storm of Vengeance). The spells will stay for 1 year or until discharged.

Also for Jerid, two Scrolls:
    1x Storm of Vengeance Scroll (9th level spell, CL 17, DC 27)
    2x Call Lightning Storm (5th level spell, CL 17, DC 22)

For Omar - Headband of Greater Flowing Breath (brow/head slot):
    Adds +5 to the DC of all breath-weapons.
    3/day, double all numeric and rolled attributes of a breath-weapon.
    Any breath Weapon or similar area-ability with a duration can be moved once it is deployed. Breath moves at 100’ (perfect) as a move-action equivalent by the user. Creatures it encounters along the way WILL be affected as normal.

For Alala - an Energy Bow As good as the one that Dob'llarion has.

For Verin - Rod of Divine Persistence: Rod takes 6 expenditures of Turn Undead/Rebuke Undead applies the persistent quality to any spell desired. "'at a discounted rate!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    OK, so I calculated the crafting times of these items...they're pretty high. So we won't start the endgame JUST yet.

You all have ~14 days' time to do what you will. What will you do? what will you seek within Elven lands, or do you wish to travel until these items are finished?

more

8. - Top - End - #728
    Troll in the Playground

Not long after Tai places the orders he remarks to Alala, "We need to find out what's been happening in the rest of the world. I'm going to see what I can find out."

Tai disguises himself as an elderly elf and goes into town to Find out what he can.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Taking 20 on a Gather Information check, since the party has the time.

Two days later, Tai returns to the redwood-tree inn where you all stay.

"I have an incredible amount of news. Gather round, folks. There's a lot going on:

First, the Elves as a whole are meeting in a...six-month long "meeting" ceremony where they are discussing what to do in the state of the world. There seems to be three factions; one that wishes to follow the Dwarves' impending exodus, one that wishes to kill off the humans in this world, and one that believes the world will endure the current times.

There are grumblings in the south, in Thiske, that the halflings and gnomes have been beset upon by human and Neanderthal marauders (from Karchus no less) that have set foot at the Roost. Apparently the rest of Dobllarion's "lackeys" have gathered a massive army and they are out for blood and conquest.
    " When he mentions the name of the elf he snarls and spits on the ground.

"Word from the Dwarven lands say they are almost done with their "exodus fleet" of...ships? that are going to leave this world. They've placed an open invitation for all non-humans to join them, but there is dissention among their communities since..." he shifts and looks at his feet paws. "Well, you know."

"Finally, and I find this particularly troubling, I have a message from Xylona of all people! I read to you..." He pulls out a letter, postmarked for today.

"The charming, genius rat named Tai"
    Send to: "Honest Abdul's Sanctum"
    Forwarded to: Dwarven commons, 9th quarter, Western Spine
    Forwarded to: Ren'Alliss, My'Lith'ar
    Forwarded to: 98th Redwood Inn, My'lithari reach, Ren'Alliss.

Delivered by Raven's Guild of Couriers: Excellent service. No questions asked.
    5-28-11 PE

"Dear me, that's five days ago from today (6-5-11)"

My good friends Tai, Alala, Omar and Jerid, I have run afoul a malevolent artifact and we would very much benefit from all of your help. We are likely in very great danger. Tai will know where to go: it's the same place he was given sentience and free will. Please hurry.

Tai looks up. "That's the big world-news I could find. SUre there are other things, but these are the interesting ones."

more

9. - Top - End - #729
    Troll in the Playground

Tai looks to you. "Well, that's not so far away. But why would they be in Sodis? Wouldn't it be dangerous?"
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2017-06-21 at 04:01 PM.

more

10. - Top - End - #730
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Verin

"Could be, like, the evil thingyjob compelling 'em ta lure us inta a trap!"

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"...No point in asking me, it's not like I would know! The only real question is, are we going? I'd say we should; This is Xylona, after all. Even if she is being used to lure us in, we should probably try to rescue her..."

12. - Top - End - #732
    Troll in the Playground

Verin

"Could be, like, the evil thingyjob compelling 'em ta lure us inta a trap!"
    The rat looks again at the letter, and then the process of its delivery and something in Tai's memory clicks. "Omar, did you by chance...once mention that you didn't think Honest Abdul was trustworthy? I know we should help Xylona, but it very well could be a trap. If they're in danger then...well, the whole city's dangerous now."
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2017-06-23 at 04:40 AM.

more

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

"I never saw any specific evidence that he was committing crimes. I was just uncomfortable with how comfortable he was around slavers and other cutthroats..."

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"The whole world's dangerous at this point, " Alala pointed out, "and I never really saw Abdul as evil. Kinda apathetic, sure - I wouldn't be surprised if he was trading in slaving equipment - but don't remember him ever outright betraying anyone, in his staff or his customers or whatever.

True, I only knew him for a week...
    "

15. - Top - End - #735
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Verin

"Well, whatever. I vote we go help. That way we can see if it's a good trap!"

16. - Top - End - #736
    Troll in the Playground

Tai looks to Omar and Alala. "Well, I think it's a bad idea. That Abdul can't be trusted, and if he's the courier, then something else is also wrong."

more

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

Omar looks over at Tai... "I'm also concerned. If we do this we'll need to be very careful. You're familiar with this meeting place. What might we be up against?"

18. - Top - End - #738
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Abdul had plenty of opportunities to betray us. Not sure why he would bother now." Jerid shrugs. "He's definitely more than he seems, but I wouldn't let that stop us from whatever we would do anyway." He hadn't forgotten Abdul's use of his full name.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Troll in the Playground

Well,” says Tai, “I must have escaped Sodis after Omar had made it free of the city. I was…occupied for a while. When I left, the Tower of Alabaster was the only building left mostly untouched. Wizards left and right exploded into bursts of plants. Buildings fell over, rubble from walls shredded people and where people tried to use magic to stop their fate they burst into tangles of plant matter. I’m just glad the wizards made me a psychic rat.

I have no idea what we’ll face there, but I’m sure that it will be dangerous to walk there. We’ll probably want to fly around there. I expect it’ll be mostly a jungle. If the Tower has fallen, we'll need to search it carefully; I doubt anyone would be crazy enough to look there, but if that's where they are, then they'd be free from prying eyes.

I wonder if the elves would give us a boat ride. Alala, they seem to like you. How about you ask if we could charter a boat ride? That way we could all rest on the way there.

more