New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Default Re: Blood, Sweat and Tiers: Epic Adventures in a World of Grievous Power Imbalance

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Actually, the party is T5, with Tauruth having the potential to reach low T4 if done right.
    I maintain that the truenamer - with the ability to act as a backup rogue on skill checks with a ((level+3)/2)+5+level/3 bonus to the rogue-y skills, level+18 to knowledge, and ((level+3)/2)+5 on even your cross-class skills which the recitation doesn't work on, plus whatever your relevant skill modifier is, as well as to heal, deal respectable damage (40d6*1.5 of any energy you like starting from mid-levels is nothing to sniff at even if it does come over time) and with most of the strong utility spells on time (invisibility at 3rd, fly at 6th, GDM only better at 10th) - can easily reach mid tier 3 without too much of a stretch. Certainly it hits tier 4 without trying too hard; I'd believe it was T2 more readily than T5.

The main reason she's a truenamer is not that the truenamer is a bad class, but that you can't very well write a joke about tiers without a truenamer reference.

Soulknife, on the other hand, should be considered T6, particularly at low levels. A warrior with a greatsword is simply superior to Lilly. An aristocrat with a greatsword is too. The +1 to hit is not worth the fact that she deals vastly less damage (if it were, compare aristocrat with longsword and heavy shield). Samurai at least gets a d10 two-handed weapon with a +1 to hit, giving them an edge on a warrior with a 2d6 two-handed weapon and no +1 to hit, but still is T6 at this point (and until they get Imperious Command). Monk is basically T6 at this point too; a warrior with a greatsword and decent armour is just better.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2017-08-02 at 02:30 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Blood, Sweat and Tiers: Epic Adventures in a World of Grievous Power Imbalance

I mostly agree with Jormengard's analysis for level 1, except that Lilly might have a relevant Hidden Talent that drags her up to the bottom of tier 5.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I mostly agree with Jormengard's analysis for level 1, except that Lilly might have a relevant Hidden Talent that drags her up to the bottom of tier 5.
    Hmm... like what? Not that I'm disagreeing, but I'm not sure which ones would be good enough. Maybe Inertial Armor? Minor Creation, Psionic is good too...
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Apologies for the lack of update recently: I'm currently on an adventure of my own.

(Homelessness counts as an adventure, right?)