New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: [Drop Dead Studios] Spheres of Might Open Playtest

Combat Training, for non-Spheres of Might Classes.

So I give up my 1, 5, 9, 13, and 17 general feats.
    In their place, I gain a bonus combat talent at even levels.
    5 feats for 10 talents, is a decent trade.

It then says, "Characters who already have the combat training class feature cannot exchange their feats for an additional progression."

If my character at level one (and through level 5) is not a Spheres of Might character, and has chosen to lose their general feats at 1, 5, 9, 13, and 17 for bonus talents at even levels... then gains a Spheres of Might class.

01 Mageknight 01
    02 Mageknight 02
    03 Mageknight 03
    04 Mageknight 04
    05 Mageknight 05
    06 Conscript 01
    07 Conscript 02
    08 Conscript 03
    09 Conscript 04
    10 Conscript 05

The Conscript has the Combat Training class feature.

Does that mean that I cease to lose my 9, 13, and 17 bonus feats and cease to gain my even level bonus combat talents?
    Or because I made the trade before acquiring the Combat Training class feature, I continue to lose bonus feats and continue to gain bonus talents?
    ~ Ualaa

2. - Top - End - #542
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Genth View Post
    For example, Barrage is NOT associated with Rapid Shot, but with Point Blank Shot. What I'm seeing in fact is that SoM seems to shy away of granting full-round-action feats as Talents. That seems to be the area they've delineated as 'feat territory'.
    Wait, so is the information on the Spheres of Power wiki incorrect? The Barrage sphere is associated with Point Blank Shot, but Rapid Shot is also listed as an associated feat for the base Barrage ability.

Anyway, for people's convenience I've compiled every associated feat (and the other feats they count as for prereqs) in a nice table. I'm not going through all of Pathfinder's feats to figure out what can be qualified for more easily this way, but I'm sure this will make it easier for others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sphere Talent Feat(s)
    Athletics (Run Package) Run
    Athletics Mobile Strike Spring Attack, Mobility, Dodge
    Athletics Mobility Mobility, Dodge
    Athletics Skillful Charge Charging Hurler, Point-blank Shot
    Athletics Diving Strike Branch Pounce
    Athletics Powerful Wings Hover
    Athletics Moving Target Wind Stance, Dodge
    Barrage (Base) Point-blank Shot, Rapid Shot
    Barrage Vigilant Sharpshooter 1 Snap Shot, Weapon Focus
    Barrage Vigilant Sharpshooter 2 Improved Snap Shot
    Barroom Barroom Expert Improvised Weapon Mastery, Catch Off-guard, Throw Anything
    Barroom Jagged Edge Splintering Weapon
    Barroom Shatter Chairbreaker, Catch Off-guard
    Barroom Menacing Belch Dazzling Display, Weapon Focus
    Beastmaster (Ride Package) Mounted Combat
    Beastmaster Pack Attack Outflank
    Berserker Advancing Carnage 1 Cleave, Great Cleave, Power Attack
    Berserker Advancing Carnage 2 Cleave Through
    Berserker Deathless Diehard, Endurance
    Berserker Greater Sunder Improved Sunder, Power Attack
    Berserker Reaper's Momentum Cleaving Finish, Cleave
    Boxing (Base) Improved Unarmed Strike
    Boxing Raging Bull Rhino Charge, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush
    Brute (Base) Improved Unarmed Strike
    Brute Break Defenses Greater Bull Rush, Greater Drag, Greater Overrun, Greater Reposition
    Brute Greater Brute Improved Bull Rush, Improved Drag, Improved Overrun, Improved Reposition, Combat Expertise, Power Attack
    Brute Unstoppable Charge Through, Improved Overrun
    Duelist Defensive Slice Cut from the Air, Power Attack
    Duelist Finger Cutter Improved Disarm, Combat Expertise
    Equipment Expert Reloading Rapid Reload
    Equipment Fast Draw Quick Draw
    Equipment Finesse Fighting Weapon Finesse
    Equipment Shield Expert Shield Focus
    Equipment Sling Combatant Sling Flail, Weapon Focus (Sling)
    Equipment Staff Mastery Quarterstaff Master, Weapon Focus (Quarterstaff)
    Equipment Thrower's Reflexes Catch Arrows, Deflect Arrows, Improved Unarmed Strike
    Equipment Versatile Shield Shield Master, Shield Slam
    Equipment Whip Fiend Whip Mastery, Improved Whip Mastery, Weapon Focus (Whip)
    Equipment Halfling Heritage Ammo Drop
    Equipment Huntsman Training Far Shot, Point-blank Shot
    Equipment Shield Training Shield Proficiency, Tower Shield Proficiency.
    Equipment Tribal Training Disposable Weapon
    Fencing Expert Feint Greater Feint, Improved Feint, Combat Expertise
    Fencing Fast Feint Improved Feint, Combat Expertise
    Fencing Footwork 1 Step Up
    Fencing Footwork 2 Following Step
    Fencing Lunge Lunge
    Fencing Masterful Defense Crane Style, Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike
    Gladiator (Base) Dazzling Display, Weapon Focus
    Guardian (Patrol Package) Combat Patrol, Combat Reflexes, Mobility, Dodge
    Guardian Assist Bodyguard, Combat Reflexes
    Guardian Clear Path Escape Route
    Guardian Stand Still Stand Still, Combat Reflexes
    Open Hand (Base) Improved Unarmed Strike
    Open Hand Greater Trip Improved Trip, Combat Expertise
    Scoundrel Improved Grifting Improved Steal, Improved Dirty Trick, Combat Expertise
    Scoundrel Playing Dirty Greater Dirty Trick, Improved Dirty Trick
    Shield Bashing Shield Improved Shield Bash
    Sniper (Base) Precise Shot, Point-blank Shot
    Wrestling (Base) Improved Unarmed Strike
    Wrestling Greater Grapple Greater Grapple, Improved Grapple
    Wrestling Iron Grip Improved Grapple
    Last edited by Dr_Dinosaur; 2017-10-30 at 03:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

To be fair, some non-full attack feats require Rapid Shot like Overwatch Style.
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

4. - Top - End - #544
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    As a DM, I love the idea of more tools for my monsters.
    However, I have noticed a potential balance issue:
    Unarmored Training and its interaction with monsters.
    They usually have either or both of: High BAB, High HD for their CR (compared to a player character)

This particular talent is worth a feat EVERY time for a monster that has at least 1 intelligence, and therefore access to feats.
    Bonus points if you spend another feat on creatures with with low BAB progression to get 1 rank per HD in acrobatics via the Athletics Sphere RUN package.

With 1 or 2 feats, every single monster can and SHOULD (no other feat carries this amount of value) get itself this 2+1/2HD increase to touch AC, once Spheres of Might enters a game.
    You are not wrong. However, that problem is related to Pathfinder, not SoM.

Most CRs have an ac 'range' they are supposed to inhabit (unless having higher or lower ac is part of the design), and while some monsters get that way from a combination of armor, shields, feats, etc., others just get a flat natural ac bonus to bring them to that number.

Considering how much wealth a lot of monsters are 'supposed' to have, having a monster with a high natural armor gain armor proficiency and magic armor has always been a very easy way to boost their ACs. In core, the only reason GMs don't do this often is because they know that, while technically within the rules, doing so would make the monsters too powerful for the PCs to fight (unless of course they're specifically trying to boost a low CR monster to higher levels).

Unfortunately we have to rely on the same balancing formuale here; while we could make a rule that Unarmored Training doesn't stack with natural armor, doing so would unnecessarily handcuff certain things that it is not our place to handcuff; GMs always have the power to break any encounter over their knee just by decreeing "and then dragons show up", so it is not our place to try and overly-dictate what they can or cannot do. The rule for what talents to give to a monster is the same as it is with feats and magic items in core; keep the monsters CR appropriate.

5. - Top - End - #545

Imp

Thank you for the answer Adam.
    I'm currently using spheres of power and might in my now 4 year running 3.5 game to spice up combat.
    Considering the huge difference in threat from some characters there (permaflying freemoving touch attacking impossible to hit SoP Soulknife vs badly optimized two-weapon fighting antperson), the touch ac increase from the talent was a welcome one, but it's hard to miss how strong it is to give a monster an increase of 10+ touch AC at that level.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Pixie in the Playground

Reposting since it didn't get answered the first time.

Wondering what the design decision was behind the Gunfighter Gunslinger archetype replacing Pistol Whip with Gun Kata (ostensibly an upgrade as the Pistol-Whip talent was, to put it lightly, not that great), while the Dancing Blade Swashbuckler does not replace Opportune Parry and Riposte with the very similar (and IMO, superior) Fencing sphere Parry/Riposte talent?

Is it because OParry/Riposte is gained at 1st level while Gunfighter Gun Kata is gained at 3rd level?

7. - Top - End - #547
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Dr_Dinosaur: Errata will remove that Rapid Shot associated feat.

@Ualaa: We're adding the following errata to the feat exchange:

“Characters who gain a combat talent progression in this manner gain it only for levels in their starting class, and any classes they gain that do not grant a combat talent progression or High Caster casting progression (including classes that grant 9th level spellcasting or an equivalent), adding all such levels together to determine their total number of combat talents. A character who later multiclasses into a class that grants a combat talent progression does not gain additional combat talents beyond those normally granted by that class.”

This still leaves a small group of people at a detriment (people who begin as a fighter and take the feat exchange, then multiclass into SoM after say level 2 and stay there forever), but we'll also add a line about with GM permission a character in such a situation can retrain, losing those bonus talents but regaining the lost feats instead.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Dwarf in the Playground

since the Choke Hold talent has a high chance of getting pulled are there any plans to replace or rework it?

9. - Top - End - #549
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cybershark View Post
    Reposting since it didn't get answered the first time.

Wondering what the design decision was behind the Gunfighter Gunslinger archetype replacing Pistol Whip with Gun Kata (ostensibly an upgrade as the Pistol-Whip talent was, to put it lightly, not that great), while the Dancing Blade Swashbuckler does not replace Opportune Parry and Riposte with the very similar (and IMO, superior) Fencing sphere Parry/Riposte talent?

Is it because OParry/Riposte is gained at 1st level while Gunfighter Gun Kata is gained at 3rd level?
    Parry and Riposte is gained at 1st level but you can't actually riposte with the Fencing talent until BAB +5, so low level swashbucklers would actually lose out.

Also, we didn't want it fighting with Focused Charm, which also requires martial focus. If we gave them the Fencing sphere option they'd both have to wait longer to make their riposte, and they'd be back in the boat of having their defensive options fighting over the same resource as their offensive options.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slavezero View Post
    since the Choke Hold talent has a high chance of getting pulled are there any plans to replace or rework it?
    Current plan is a rewrite:

“Whenever you control a grapple against a creature, that creature is unable to breathe or speak, though they may hold their breath in response to being grappled. Each consecutive round they spend grappled by you counts as a number of rounds equal to your practitioner modifier against the total number of rounds they may hold their breath before they are forced to make Constitution checks to avoid suffocating. For every 4 points of base attack bonus you possess, each passing round counts as an additional +1 round when determining how long they can hold their breath.”

11. - Top - End - #551
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Meyers View Post
    Parry and Riposte is gained at 1st level but you can't actually riposte with the Fencing talent until BAB +5, so low level swashbucklers would actually lose out.

Also, we didn't want it fighting with Focused Charm, which also requires martial focus. If we gave them the Fencing sphere option they'd both have to wait longer to make their riposte, and they'd be back in the boat of having their defensive options fighting over the same resource as their offensive options.
    Understandable. I don't envy any kind of work involving Swashbuckler: it's probably one of the worst-designed classes this side of Medium or Kineticist in terms of conflicting class features and being ineffectual at its stated goal. Spheres of Might at least makes it function via Adept Progression.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

@Dr_Dinosaur: Errata will remove that Rapid Shot associated feat.
    I actually missed the associated feat when I looked at the barrage sphere >.> Probably because I saw 'associated feat - point blank shot' and just assumed, 'cos I'm a dumbass. Have I just ruined everything now >.<

13. - Top - End - #553
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Direct question, can someone be under the effect of more than one Shout or Tactic from the Warleader sphere at the same time? My friend just got rather worried at the idea of an all-Commander 10 person troupe, each using Troop Volley until the group gets 100 shots out in a single round O.o

14. - Top - End - #554
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

@Ualaa: We're adding the following errata to the feat exchange:

“Characters who gain a combat talent progression in this manner gain it only for levels in their starting class, and any classes they gain that do not grant a combat talent progression or High Caster casting progression (including classes that grant 9th level spellcasting or an equivalent), adding all such levels together to determine their total number of combat talents. A character who later multiclasses into a class that grants a combat talent progression does not gain additional combat talents beyond those normally granted by that class.”

This still leaves a small group of people at a detriment (people who begin as a fighter and take the feat exchange, then multiclass into SoM after say level 2 and stay there forever), but we'll also add a line about with GM permission a character in such a situation can retrain, losing those bonus talents but regaining the lost feats instead.
    So, the intention is that the bonus talents cease once a class with it's own combat talent progression is taken.
    Does that mean, that from that point onwards, the general feats that would have been lost (in exchange for said bonus combat talents) are then granted from that point forward?
    ~ Ualaa

15. - Top - End - #555

Quote Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
    So, the intention is that the bonus talents cease once a class with it's own combat talent progression is taken.
    Does that mean, that from that point onwards, the general feats that would have been lost (in exchange for said bonus combat talents) are then granted from that point forward?
    I'd say the intention is to remove from a build all levels with combat training, using the remaining levels as character level to determine, how many combat talents you get.
    Last edited by EldritchWeaver; 2017-10-30 at 06:50 PM.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

16. - Top - End - #556
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The Suit Pilot Technician archetype doesn't seem worth it at all, you lose a hell of a lot (including gadgets, which most of the insights interact with) for not a lot...

17. - Top - End - #557

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    I'd say the intention is to remove from a build all levels with combat training, using the remaining levels as character level to determine, how many combat talents you get.
    I understood it as “upon gaining Combat Training, all feats traded for talents are refunded and Talent Progression is retroactively applied using your new PL.” I could be wrong, since that can lead to a weird power spike if you’re not looking ahead, but it’s simple enough.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm digesting the Dual Wield sphere again. Is there no "Fencing + Dual Wield" combination talent? I put it into quotation marks because it isn't spelled out exactly, but the Tricky Combo talent (free attack with a steal or dirty trick maneuver) and brutal combo (free attack with a bull rush, drag, or reposition combat maneuver) both synergize rather nicely with other spheres: Tricky Combo is great for someone also investing in Scoundrel, while Brutal Combo goes nicely with Brute sphere. While I understand that Feint exists in a weird place where it isn't really a combat maneuver but it sort of is kinda messes things up.

Is there any chance of dual-sphere feat sometime in the future that functions similarly to Two-Weapon Feint, that requires both the Fencing + Dual Wield Spheres (perhaps some other prereqs)? Not being able to feint with an off-hand when Dual Wielding is (IMO) a bit odd when it's a documented tactic in martial arts in the east and west. On another note, are there even plans for Dual Sphere feats for Spheres of Might, or is that a pipe dream that I shouldn't get my hopes up for?

19. - Top - End - #559
    Orc in the Playground

I made a Drow Conscript as an opponent in my spheres game and it was devastating for the party. He had sneak attack, dual wielding and fencing sphere. Fast Feint -> Move Adjacent -> Feint Strike (Dual Opportunity) -> Attack Action for 4 attacks with sneak attack, two of them also with extra fencing dice was just plain brutal. Trust me, fencing and dual wielding has plenty of synergy without acquiring more ways to feint easily.

Edit: For the Afterimage legendary talent, are the scaling +1 image per 6 ranks in Acrobatics added to the free image for moving more than 5 feet, or to the extra image you can get by expending focus if you move more than 20 feet? Or do they apply to both?
    Last edited by Lirya; 2017-10-30 at 10:15 PM.

20. - Top - End - #560

Quote Originally Posted by Cybershark View Post
    I'm digesting the Dual Wield sphere again. Is there no "Fencing + Dual Wield" combination talent? I put it into quotation marks because it isn't spelled out exactly, but the Tricky Combo talent (free attack with a steal or dirty trick maneuver) and brutal combo (free attack with a bull rush, drag, or reposition combat maneuver) both synergize rather nicely with other spheres: Tricky Combo is great for someone also investing in Scoundrel, while Brutal Combo goes nicely with Brute sphere. While I understand that Feint exists in a weird place where it isn't really a combat maneuver but it sort of is kinda messes things up.

Is there any chance of dual-sphere feat sometime in the future that functions similarly to Two-Weapon Feint, that requires both the Fencing + Dual Wield Spheres (perhaps some other prereqs)? Not being able to feint with an off-hand when Dual Wielding is (IMO) a bit odd when it's a documented tactic in martial arts in the east and west. On another note, are there even plans for Dual Sphere feats for Spheres of Might, or is that a pipe dream that I shouldn't get my hopes up for?
    That seems like a no-brainer for an eventual Fencer’s Handbook, if that ever happens. Can’t make it an Associated feat because of the TWF prerequisite though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lirya View Post
    I made a Drow Conscript as an opponent in my spheres game and it was devastating for the party. He had sneak attack, dual wielding and fencing sphere. Fast Feint -> Move Adjacent -> Feint Strike (Dual Opportunity) -> Attack Action for 4 attacks with sneak attack, two of them also with extra fencing dice was just plain brutal. Trust me, fencing and dual wielding has plenty of synergy without acquiring more ways to feint easily.
    How did you get 4 attacks on an attack action?

21. - Top - End - #561
    Orc in the Playground

Two attacks for the AoO you get from Feint Strike + two attacks from the Attack Action.

22. - Top - End - #562

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    While we're on the subject of what can be done as a attack action, can I get some clarification on fighting defensively during an attack action? I think the main rules are a little lax on this area. Having it work for every attack action would be preferable, IMHO.
    Any word on whether Fighting Defensively is possible with any attack action?

23. - Top - End - #563
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

With the Techsmith archetype for Blacksmith, do your Blacksmith levels count for things that scale with Technician levels? Like Super Kick - you can apply that modification to yourself or an ally, and then you can discharge it to do 1d6/2 technician levels. Is that just stuck at 1d6 forever for a techsmith?

24. - Top - End - #564

So I really enjoyed reading Spheres of Might, but I'm curious on the Poison package of the Alchemy sphere. What was the reasoning behind it scaling with BAB rather than with your Craft (Alchemy)?

25. - Top - End - #565
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I only just got up to date reading all of this on the wiki, and I noticed something odd that I don't know if was answered already.

In the Practitioner Bestiary, I saw Traditions and Talents that appeared to be monster-specific, but were not labeled anywhere to say what they have or did. Is this an onerous omission, or just something the wiki forgot to put up yet?

Also, do you have to prepare specific Alchemy poisons of a certain type and vector at the beginning of the day, or do you pick what type when you use it?
    Proud beta-tester for Pirates vs. Ninjas

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In the employer/BBEG's mansion.

26. - Top - End - #566

Quote Originally Posted by Lirya View Post
    Two attacks for the AoO you get from Feint Strike + two attacks from the Attack Action.
    My mistake was thinking the second attack from Dual-wielding was a free action
    Last edited by Dr_Dinosaur; 2017-10-31 at 12:51 AM.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Makiru View Post
    I only just got up to date reading all of this on the wiki, and I noticed something odd that I don't know if was answered already.

In the Practitioner Bestiary, I saw Traditions and Talents that appeared to be monster-specific, but were not labeled anywhere to say what they have or did. Is this an onerous omission, or just something the wiki forgot to put up yet?
    I can answer this one at least. There are monster talents (and traditions) in the book, and it appears the wiki lacks them at the moment.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by master4sword View Post
    I can answer this one at least. There are monster talents (and traditions) in the book, and it appears the wiki lacks them at the moment.
    Thank you, I thought I was going crazy. Hopefully those will be up sooner than later.
    Proud beta-tester for Pirates vs. Ninjas

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In the employer/BBEG's mansion.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Dwarf in the Playground

is there an eta on when the changes and updates will be added to the pdf?

30. - Top - End - #570
    Troll in the Playground

about prodigy can i use destructive blast when i attack with conductive weapon like magus?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.