New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Drop Dead Studios] Spheres of Might Open Playtest

Quote Originally Posted by Mehangel View Post
    I also think it is high time that we get an additional PDF update or in the very least a copy of the internal errata document. I like EldritchWeaver keep on happening upon errors and end up going through several thread posts before finding out that it was already reported.
    Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    Is Alchemy's poison DC supposed to be based on Craft ranks instead of BAB?
    Case in point: legomaster00156's report. A dev commented that all spheres which grant skill ranks scale from those ranks in general, but such a rule is missing in the current PDF.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

2. - Top - End - #692
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    Is Alchemy's poison DC supposed to be based on Craft ranks instead of BAB?
    Yes. That one is in the errata already.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by N. Jolly View Post
    Let me try to answer some questions here.

1/2. It's balanced with the system as a whole rather than the classes. As pointed out, Pathfinder's classes don't have a great internal balance, and at some point, we have to look at things and ask where we should be aiming, and which parts of the system just aren't working. For example, the striker is almost certainly better than the fighter, the armiger is better than the swashbuckler, the technician is better than the rogue, and we're entirely fine with that. Classes that have outdated design given the system and how its evolved need to be pushed forward, which is why an archetyped SoM fighter will probably be better than a core fighter; because leaving it at core state would be painfully weak, as it is at current (core fighter is an issue here). There's also a lot of feats that are not worth what's gained, especially past core. Many feats have lost a lot of value in how they're used due to newer options, which is why we have done things the way we have.

So to answer fully, SoM isn't particularly balanced with Core Martials in a core only setting, but I would say it's balanced against the expanded options which are available with other paizo material, like mutagenic warrior, AWT, and such.

3. The reason why feats only give one talent is because of the reasons you're stating, that you're allowed to control their acquisition rather than the standard layout that most of them have. That's a lot more powerful than getting them when mandated, which is why the feat only gives a single talent. We took into account the customization allowed, and balanced against that.

4/5: Not really my area of expertise, pinged the others.

6. That's because it also locks the class out of a large amount of archetypes as well, and we wanted to account for that. Vigilante specialization is a very 'live or die' class feature for the vigilante, and because we're taking it away, we wanted to compensate it with something that felt appropriate.
    This is an reply to "So to answer fully, SoM isn't particularly balanced with Core Martials in a core only setting, but I would say it's balanced against the expanded options which are available with other paizo material, like mutagenic warrior, AWT, and such."

So i took a look.
    A coiled blade loses 6 feats and gain 20 talents
    A normal Fighter can exchange all his normal feats to gain 20 tallants. Don’t think a lot of other classes will exchange their feats for tallants like this. Probably 5 to 10 or 7 to 15.
    So the coiled blade echanges 4 fewer feats.

So is Tension from Coiled blade + 4 extra feats as good as Mutation and discoveries. I don’t know. it probably depends on what you want to do. I would pick the coiled blade but others might pick the mutation warrior

If we compare a mutation warrior without spheres of might.
    We have a different story. Then the difference is huge.

Mutagen might be able to fill in the gap when it’s 4 feats. But now it’s more like 14 feats(20 tallants-6 feats).

4. - Top - End - #694
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    Case in point: legomaster00156's report. A dev commented that all spheres which grant skill ranks scale from those ranks in general, but such a rule is missing in the current PDF.
    For clarity sake, the following spheres have normal talents or abilities that run off of BAB despite giving skill ranks: Alchemy(Poison), Beastmastery, Fencing, Gladiator, and Scoundrel. I'm not sure if Legendary Talents are also supposed to follow this rule but here's a list of ones that run off of BAB despite giving skill ranks: Athletics, Beastmastery, Fencing, Gladiator, and Warleader.

Edit: Side note, why is there no "Smash from the Air"-like legendary talent upgrade for the Duelist spheres' Defensive Slice?
    Last edited by sunderedhero; 2017-11-11 at 02:06 PM.

5. - Top - End - #695

Daemon

Some of the archetypes have a feature which makes certain spheres function with their class level instead of BAB.

One of those is the Beastmaster Hunter, which does it for the Beastmaster Sphere, but with it also using skills for scaling, what's the point of the feature?
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

6. - Top - End - #696
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sunderedhero View Post
    Duelist- Slickened Grip- Does the increased damage from Open Vein and other effects increase the penalty from Slickened Grip or should it only count the bleed damage from the base sphere ability?
    This also needs to be clarified for the "Death By A Thousand Cuts" ability Duelist Sphere Specialization of the Conscript class DC.

Also the "Practitioner Unarmed Damage" table on page 11/12 says that it runs off of the number of "unarmed spheres and talents they possess" but the table says "Levels"

And a question, when a spell caster trades in their spellcasting for combat training, do they use their spellcasting modifier as their practitioner modifier?

Edit: I'm confused by this line in the Boxing Sphere-Launching Uppercut (counter) talent, "For every 4 points of base attack bonus you possess, you may launch a creature 10 ft. further into the air.". What exactly does this do? Is this an automatic extra movement on enemies and allies?
    Last edited by sunderedhero; 2017-11-11 at 07:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sunderedhero View Post
    This also needs to be clarified for the "Death By A Thousand Cuts" ability Duelist Sphere Specialization of the Conscript class DC.
    As it says in the abilities, it's based on the amount of bleed damage currently being taken by the target.

And a question, when a spell caster trades in their spellcasting for combat training, do they use their spellcasting modifier as their practitioner modifier?
    Yes. As we mentioned a couple pages ago, this has already been added to the errata and will be reflected in the update.

On that note, we've gotten to the point where most of the feedback we're getting is repetitions of questions we've already fielded, so our focus now is going to be in reviewing our errata list and getting the update pushed out. Thank you everyone for your time and feedback!

8. - Top - End - #698
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    As it says in the abilities, it's based on the amount of bleed damage currently being taken by the target.
    The problem is that with the Open Vein and Finger Cutter talents the DC scales very fast. At 4th level on a disarm you would do 2d4+4 bleed damage, which would mean the DC is 14+2d4+4 average of 23, at 20th level it'd be 30+6d4+12 average of 57. Don't you think this is a problem?

Also I added this to the last post as an edit, but I'll repeat it here:
    I'm confused by this line in the Boxing Sphere-Launching Uppercut (counter) talent, "For every 4 points of base attack bonus you possess, you may launch a creature 10 ft. further into the air.". What exactly does this do? Is this an automatic extra movement on enemies and allies?

so our focus now is going to be in reviewing our errata list and getting the update pushed out. Thank you everyone for your time and feedback!
    Snazzy! Any idea how long after the errata comes out will the Hero Labs files drop?

9. - Top - End - #699
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

The Sentinel archetype, Adroit Warden's ability, Agile Defender, should probably have a note about replacing Armor Knight.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    On that note, we've gotten to the point where most of the feedback we're getting is repetitions of questions we've already fielded, so our focus now is going to be in reviewing our errata list and getting the update pushed out. Thank you everyone for your time and feedback!
    Would you mind releasing the current errata list? Both to avoid repetition and to see what has/hasn't been addressed. Pretty please?
    Avatar of awesome goodness courtesy of Cdr.Fallout.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Can you both sacrifice feats to gain talents and have a practitioner class?
    hoiw would this work?

12. - Top - End - #702

Any reason, why sphere-specific drawbacks are prescribing often the bonus talent you get? For example, Scout has other non-scout talents you could take instead (i.e. Heightened Awareness). I think that those restrictions prevent some character concepts, so they should be evaluated if they can't be made less strict.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm reading on spheresofpower.wikidot

Flexible Cover
    As an immediate action, you may change the selected edge of your space even when it is not your turn. If you expend martial focus, you may use this talent as an immediate action.
    So expending martial focus would do nothing here.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zautos View Post
    Can you both sacrifice feats to gain talents and have a practitioner class?
    hoiw would this work?
    Generally, no. You are actually swapping the feats for a progression, not an additional progression. Besides, there's an explicit "Characters who already have the combat training class feature cannot exchange their feats for an additional progression."

Now, where it gets a little weird is when a character who swaps for progression multiclasses into a practitioner. I can't spot a ruling for this, but I'd wager the feat-for-talent swap stops at that point.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by zautos View Post
    Flexible Cover
    As an immediate action, you may change the selected edge of your space even when it is not your turn. If you expend martial focus, you may use this talent as an immediate action.
    So expending martial focus would do nothing here.
    You have to look at the entire Talent, not just those two sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexible Cover
    You may spend a move action to use a shield to grant you cover until the beginning of your next turn. Bucklers, heavy shields, and light shields provide partial cover while tower shields provide total cover. When using a shield in this way, you must choose one edge of your space. That edge is treated as a solid wall for attacks targeting you only. You gain cover for attacks that pass through this edge. The shield does not, however, provide cover against targeted spells; a spellcaster can cast a spell on you by targeting the shield you are holding. Cover granted this way is insufficient to enable you to make a Stealth check to hide and the shield may be targeted as an attended object.

You can always change the direction from which you have cover as an Immediate action, once your shield is down. But by expending martial focus, you get to place the shield down as an Immediate action, which would normally take up a Move action during your own turn.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NomGarret View Post
    Generally, no. You are actually swapping the feats for a progression, not an additional progression. Besides, there's an explicit "Characters who already have the combat training class feature cannot exchange their feats for an additional progression."

Now, where it gets a little weird is when a character who swaps for progression multiclasses into a practitioner. I can't spot a ruling for this, but I'd wager the feat-for-talent swap stops at that point.
    If if i play a charakter that takes level 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 15 17 19. as blacksmith or something and normal fighter on the rest of the level.

Then trayd out all my normal feats for tallants. But becouse i tak blacksmith at udd levels i lose no feats and gain tallants for free on eaven levels.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    Quick questions: Can a Technician's Integrated Gun/Shield/Weapon incorporate an Improved item of the category? Like can the Integrated Gun on an Improved Weapon be an Improved Coat Pistol? Also, can Gauntlets be Improved as either Weapons or Gloves similar to how Shields can be Improved as either Weapons or Shields?

One more for the Custom Training talent: if I wanted to select a firearm, is that 2 points for Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Pistol or 2 points for Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Firearms? I ask because normally you can just take EWP: Firearms and gain proficiency with all firearms including siege weapons.
    We played with disallowing multiple integrated improved items, but I believe we stopped that and allow all integrated items to be improved things. And yeah; guantlets could be a weapon or gloves.

You would have to become proficient with pistol on its own if you went the custom training route.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding the Technician's Integrated Weapon/Gun/Shield: Would these count as double weapons, for the purpose of the Dual Wielding sphere?

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Meyers View Post
    We played with disallowing multiple integrated improved items, but I believe we stopped that and allow all integrated items to be improved things. And yeah; guantlets could be a weapon or gloves.
    Further question. Is that an either/or on the gauntlets or can they be improved gloves at the same time as improved weapons?

Additional: Can a battlefield tinker incorporate unarmed or natural attacks into their improbable weapon? Also, unless I'm reading it poorly, their Improbable Weapon still grants talents right?
    Last edited by torrasque666; 2017-11-12 at 10:31 PM.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

Another, thornier, technician question:

Suppose I'm a Technician with a Mechanical Arm Independent Invention, with the Suit improvement. Furthermore, I'm wearing it right now. If I use a talent that grants temp HP (for example, the base ability of the Berserker Sphere), do I gain the temp HP or does the invention?

The section that gives me hope it's the suit is:

Quote Originally Posted by Suit
    Once inside, the pilot can control the vehicle’s movements and actions as if he himself were the invention (moving the invention as a move action, attacking with a weapon it possesses as a standard action, etc.).

21. - Top - End - #711

Daemon

I have a question about Champions of the Spheres.

Are the more martial-leaning SoP classes (Shifter, Armorist) getting full updates to work with Spheres of Might or just archetypes that make them practitioners in addition to casters?

22. - Top - End - #712

It is extremely unlikely that there any updates planned for the martial-ly SoP classes, which aren't archetypes, for the simple reason that both systems are supposed to be able to be used separately.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    Additional: Can a battlefield tinker incorporate unarmed or natural attacks into their improbable weapon? Also, unless I'm reading it poorly, their Improbable Weapon still grants talents right?
    No to unarmed strikes and natural weapons, yes it still grants talents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    I have a question about Champions of the Spheres.

Are the more martial-leaning SoP classes (Shifter, Armorist) getting full updates to work with Spheres of Might or just archetypes that make them practitioners in addition to casters?
    No, just archetypes. i suppose you could treat the archetypes as an 'alternate base class', but actually printing them that way would take more space for limited benefit.

24. - Top - End - #714

Daemon

Can I stack sphere effects that key off of the same action (say, Attack Action for Fencing/Duelist), or do I have to pick and choose?

What about spheres which say "as a special attack action?" Can I stack one of those with abilities that activate from Attack Actions?

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    Can I stack sphere effects that key off of the same action (say, Attack Action for Fencing/Duelist), or do I have to pick and choose?

What about spheres which say "as a special attack action?" Can I stack one of those with abilities that activate from Attack Actions?
    Glossary in the front of the book answers these questions.

Quote Originally Posted by SoM
    Attack action: An attack action is a type of standard action.
    Some combat options can modify only this specific sort
    of action. When taking an attack action, you can apply all appropriate
    options that modify an attack action. Thus, you can
    apply both the Boxing sphere’s counter punch and Vital Strike to
    the same attack, as both modify an attack action. You can apply
    these to any combat option that takes the place of an attack
    made using an attack action (such as the trip combat maneuver),
    though options that increase damage don’t cause attacks
    to deal damage if they wouldn’t otherwise do so (such as Vital
    Strike and trip).
    You can’t combine options that modify attack actions with
    standard actions that aren’t attack actions, such as Cleave."
    Special Attack Action: A special attack action represents
    a unique method of making an attack. These special attack actions
    are granted by certain spheres and talents, and whenever
    a creature makes an attack action, they may choose to perform
    a special attack action they know, assuming they meet that special
    attack action’s requirements. A special attack action can
    be augmented by feats and talents just as if it were any other
    attack action, but a creature cannot perform more than one
    special attack action at a time. (Thus, if a character trained in
    both the Barrage sphere and the Sniper sphere makes an attack
    action, they may choose to perform a barrage or a deadly shot,
    but not both.)
    Since I keep getting this question, I assume people either skip the glossary or are only reading the wiki and that section isn't obvious.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Might I suggest a minor change to the Alchemy sphere?

This is for both Formulae and Poison.

Instead of 15 min for each item (which would total up to 6 hours), maybe make it 15 min per type made. Example: I am level 10 with 2 formulae, letting me have up to 7 total formulae created at a time. I want to make 5 Salve and 2 Pancea. The current rule takes 1 hour and 45 min to make 7 formulae. My suggestion would mean this would take 30 min. At level 20, I could make 12. I want to make 9 Salve and 3 Pancea would take 3 hours. My suggestion would mean it still takes 30 min.

Think of it as simply doubling a recipe.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Halfling in the Playground

The crafting times for the Alchemy sphere make it non viable to specialize in. It can take over 40 hours to craft all your items. They will fall apart before you're finished. It should never take more than 1 hour to craft everything under any circumstance.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Domar View Post
    The crafting times for the Alchemy sphere make it non viable to specialize in. It can take over 40 hours to craft all your items. They will fall apart before you're finished. It should never take more than 1 hour to craft everything under any circumstance.
    How are you getting over 40? I'm only getting 21 hours max. Granted, that leaves 2 hours for sleeping (ring of sustenance) and 1 hour for actually adventuring.

Quote Originally Posted by The Math
    Total formulae (24) + 1/2 ranks (20/2) + selections (14)
    Total toxin (18) = ranks (20/2) + selections (8)
    Total formulae and toxin = 42
    Crafting w/o alchemist lab (1260 min or 21 hours) = 42 * 30
    Crafting w/ alchemist lab (630 min or 10.5 hours) = 42 * 15

29. - Top - End - #719
    Halfling in the Playground

The Alchemy Conscript gets double items.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domar View Post
    This was something spoken of quite a bit when playtest was still open, and Ssalarn stated that they were looking at scaling up production based on the HD of the crafter to 1 + 1/4 HD per creation time, which he calculated at about 2 hours for a Conscript. I'm not sure what happened.
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2017-11-13 at 11:16 PM.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...