New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 142930313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1336
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Drop Dead Studios] Spheres of Might Open Playtest

Quote Originally Posted by Zsaber0 View Post
    In addition to this, is there a way to get Trapfinding in Sphere of Might?
    Not in the book, but I happened to ask Adam this question, too. He likes the following Trap talent:

Device Expert

You gain 5 ranks in the Disable Device skill, plus 5 ranks per additional talent spent in the Trap sphere (maximum ranks equal to your total Hit Dice). If you already have ranks in the Disable Device skill you may immediately retrain them, but you do not get to retrain when only temporarily gaining talents, such as through the armiger’s customized weapons class feature.

In addition you may disable magical traps like a rogue.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is there any news on a talent or something to utilize haste effects with Spheres of Might?

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Ettin in the Playground

does spheres have anything for being able to move around in heavier armor?
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    Not in the book, but I happened to ask Adam this question, too. He likes the following Trap talent:
    The Technician class gets Trapfinding as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Technician's Trapfinding
    A technician adds 1/2 his level on Perception checks to locate traps and on all Disable Device checks (minimum +1). A technician can use Disable Device to disarm magic traps.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

5. - Top - End - #1145

I suppose the correct formulation would be: "There is no class independent way to gain trapfinding in the book." I don't think that someone would dip into a class to get rogue's trapfinding since you lose out the class dependent bonus.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    does spheres have anything for being able to move around in heavier armor?
    The Conscript's Armor Training will let you move at full speed in medium armor, but you can't take it until 3rd level. At 8th you get it with heavy armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Prodigy ability "Destructive Edge" mentions it does not stack with "the corrosive, flaming, frost, or shock special abilities or similar abilities that add damage of the same type."

Is the intent that it only not stack with the same kind of energy damage, or any effects that add energy damage? Or is 'similar abilities' meant to denote something more specific?

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by decamonos View Post
    The Prodigy ability "Destructive Edge" mentions it does not stack with "the corrosive, flaming, frost, or shock special abilities or similar abilities that add damage of the same type."

Is the intent that it only not stack with the same kind of energy damage, or any effects that add energy damage? Or is 'similar abilities' meant to denote something more specific?
    I'm pretty sure they mean the flaming burst, shocking burst et al.

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ogre in the Playground

For the Technician's Mad Scientist archetype, what are Unethical Inventions treated as for purposes of applying improvements on? What Improvements can you apply to them?

10. - Top - End - #1150

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    On a semi-unrelated note, let's talk more about Traps from the Trap Sphere.

1. Do traps take a penalty for firing into melee? If so, do they benefit from stuff like Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot, Deadly Shot, Barrage, et al?

2. If somebody takes the Expert Eye talent, and are able to use their skill in Craft (traps) in place of Perception against traps and Disable Device against traps, do they need to use Thieves Tools, or would a Trap Bag suffice? If they had Masterwork Thieves Tools, would they receive the +2 bonus?

EDIT: On a completely unrelated note, When creating poison from the Alchemy Sphere's Poison Package, is there ever a benefit to using an injury poison over a contact poison?
    Bumping this. Concerning the earlier point on Flashbangs, it seems as though the penalty for firing into melee only applies to ranged weapons. For Flashbangs and Traps, if they don't count as weapons, they theoretically wouldn't take the penalty either.

Oh the perils of linguistic legalese.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2018-02-27 at 11:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1151

Daemon

Still waiting for an official guide on converting Spellcasters to practitioners when said Spellcasters has a class feature that affects Spellcasting such as Skald's Spell Kenning.

Or just, well, a Skald Archetype for SoM.
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    Still waiting for an official guide on converting Spellcasters to practitioners when said Spellcasters has a class feature that affects Spellcasting such as Skald's Spell Kenning.

I feel like any generalised guide would be insufficient, as "class feature that alters spellcasting" is such a broad umbrella that it would be impossible to give any meaningful guidance. Either homebrew or waiting for specific archetypes is going to be your best bet.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post

Well, and this is just me spitballing, I'd say that a Sphere Skald would likely me a Midcaster/Adept class with the Berserker and War spheres, and if I had make a ruling on Spell Kenning, I'd let them have a free talent that they can reallocate 1-3/day.

But I'm not a dev and I'm just throwing ideas out.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Titan in the Playground

1. Do traps take a penalty for firing into melee? If so, do they benefit from stuff like Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot, Deadly Shot, Barrage, et al?

2. If somebody takes the Expert Eye talent, and are able to use their skill in Craft (traps) in place of Perception against traps and Disable Device against traps, do they need to use Thieves Tools, or would a Trap Bag suffice? If they had Masterwork Thieves Tools, would they receive the +2 bonus?
    Looking at the exact wording in the combat section of the CRB, it says:
    If you shoot or throw a ranged weapon at a target engaged in melee with a friendly character, you take a –4 penalty on your attack roll.
    It would make this a bit clearer if it said a ranged attack roll, but oh well. I suppose the simplest thing is probably to just treat it as a ranged weapon attack for the penalties and such, but then you get the question of if the trap provokes an AOO. Treating a set trap differently from a wielded (via Trap Wielder) trap would have advantages, but is injecting extra complexity into the discussion. Tentative ruling is that darts don't take penalties for firing into melee (the dart really doesn't care who it hits ), so PBS, Precise Shot, etc. don't apply or aren't required. Trap wielder does specify that darts provoke as a ranged attack when using it, however.

As for tools, I would say that thieves tools would grant their bonus to craft (trap) when used in place of disable device. I would probably allow the trap bag to substitute since ultimately mundane equipment like that is a trivial cost so I can't see the difference mattering after the lowest levels.

15. - Top - End - #1155

Imp

Thanks for answering my question, stack.

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Looking at the exact wording in the combat section of the CRB, it says:

It would make this a bit clearer if it said a ranged attack roll, but oh well. I suppose the simplest thing is probably to just treat it as a ranged weapon attack for the penalties and such, but then you get the question of if the trap provokes an AOO. Treating a set trap differently from a wielded (via Trap Wielder) trap would have advantages, but is injecting extra complexity into the discussion. Tentative ruling is that darts don't take penalties for firing into melee (the dart really doesn't care who it hits ), so PBS, Precise Shot, etc. don't apply or aren't required. Trap wielder does specify that darts provoke as a ranged attack when using it, however.

As for tools, I would say that thieves tools would grant their bonus to craft (trap) when used in place of disable device. I would probably allow the trap bag to substitute since ultimately mundane equipment like that is a trivial cost so I can't see the difference mattering after the lowest levels.
    So since Scholar Flashbangs aren't considered weapons either, do they also not take the penalty for firing into melee, nor gain the benefit from PBS and Precise Shot?

16. - Top - End - #1156

Imp

Q 400?

Can you use a feat to gain exotic proficiency via equipment sphere's Custom Training, then trade in that proficiency to gain a martial tradition?

17. - Top - End - #1157

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    Q 400?

Can you use a feat to gain exotic proficiency via equipment sphere's Custom Training, then trade in that proficiency to gain a martial tradition?
    A400?: This assumes that gaining a feat is happening before you can choose a martial tradition.

Some classes grant a martial tradition as part of their proficiencies, but characters who do not may choose to trade their starting proficiencies (other than simple weapons, light armor, and bucklers, if applicable) for a martial tradition at 1st level, as long as their normal starting proficiencies include proficiency with all martial weapons or at least one exotic weapon (this does not include clerics whose deity’s favored weapon is an exotic weapon or similar features that modify starting proficiencies based on other character choices). Some classes who do not gain proficiency with all martial weapons but whose class description implies a strong martial background may trade their starting proficiencies for a martial tradition with GM approval.
    Since taking a feat definitively contradicts the bolded part, the asnwer is no.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    Q 400?

From the text on trading in traditions:
    Some classes grant a martial tradition as part of their proficiencies, but characters who do not may choose to trade their starting proficiencies (other than simple weapons, light armor, and bucklers, if applicable) for a martial tradition at 1st level, as long as their normal starting proficiencies include proficiency with all martial weapons or at least one exotic weapon (this does not include clerics whose deity’s favored weapon is an exotic weapon or similar features that modify starting proficiencies based on other character choices). Some classes who do not gain proficiency with all martial weapons but whose class description implies a strong martial background may trade their starting proficiencies for a martial tradition with GM approval.
    Believe feats would fall under modified proficiency based on player choice.

Edit - beat me to it.
    Last edited by stack; 2018-03-02 at 03:53 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1159

Q401: Since the dart trap from the Trap Sphere requires you to make ranged attack rolls when it's triggered, would a Rogue get sneak attack damage on that attack if applicable (such as if the target hit is flat-footed)?

Q402: Is there any way to apply two (Trick) talents to a single Steal or Dirty Trick maneuver? I'm trying to figure out a way to combine Broke and Broken with Ranged Trickery to Steal from a distance.
    Last edited by Dr_Dinosaur; 2018-03-07 at 02:56 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1160

A Wrestling sphere question and a bunch of Sage questions; I apologize if these have come up before. I couldn't find anything when searching.

Q 402: For the Wrestling sphere talent Ground Game and similar abilities, am I missing something? You can't take attacks of opportunities with the grappled condition, and nothing I can see in the Wrestling sphere changes that.

Q 403: Is there any way to apply an enhancement bonus to the Sage's chi gong attack? It kind of gets murdered by DR otherwise.

Q 404: Chi gong counts as a light weapon, which means it's eligible for use with the energy blade talent; is that intentional?

Q 405: Does an Enhancer Sage get any bonus if they take the lingering enhancement talent?

Q 406: Do the bonus dice provided by the meditation ability have an action cost?

Q 407: Can the Sage manipulate items in any way within the reach of the Rubber Ki ability?

Q 408: For the infuser combat maneuver replacement thingy, should any penalties carried by the combat maneuver attempt carry over to the reflex save dc? e.g. the open hand sphere allows an unarmed trip attempt as a move action, but at a -2 penalty. If the Sage replaces that trip attempt with the infuser ability, should the reflex save DC be reduced by two?

Q 409: Do Sage magic talents count as ki abilities for the purposes of the ring of ki mastery?

21. - Top - End - #1161

Imp

Is it intended for SOM archtypes that change proficiency to be incompatible with existing archtypes that also change proficiency? I remember the issue being raised before, but I don't see any wording that would allow them to be compatible.

22. - Top - End - #1162

Imp

Is it intended for SOM archtypes that change proficiency to be incompatible with existing archtypes that also change proficiency? I remember the issue being raised before, but I don't see any wording that would allow them to be compatible.
    While I wait for this minefield to be navigated, I had another question about the Trap Sphere. Specifically the Razor wire snare talent, which says:

Quote Originally Posted by Trap Sphere
    Razor Wire
    When you place the tripwire snare, you may choose to have it deal 1d6 slashing damage + 1d6 at 3 ranks in Craft (traps) and every 2 ranks thereafter to the triggering creature. Alchemical items cannot be added to this snare. A razor wire snare otherwise functions as a tripwire snare.
    Emphasis mine. My question really boils down to this: do poisons count as alchemical items? The Trap Sphere does seem to draw a distinction between the two, but I just wanted to be sure.

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Titan in the Playground

While I wait for this minefield to be navigated, I had another question about the Trap Sphere. Specifically the Razor wire snare talent, which says:

Emphasis mine. My question really boils down to this: do poisons count as alchemical items? The Trap Sphere does seem to draw a distinction between the two, but I just wanted to be sure.
    I think allowing poisons is probably fine. I think things in the alchemy sphere weren't entirely solidified when I put that wording in.

24. - Top - End - #1164

Imp

I think allowing poisons is probably fine. I think things in the alchemy sphere weren't entirely solidified when I put that wording in.
    Thanks for the quick answer, here are some more questions while I wait for information regarding proficiencies and archetypes.

Can you take 10 on Craft Alchemy checks to craft an alchemical Formulae talent from the Alchemy Sphere? Can the Scholar take 10 on Heal checks using their Medical Training class features?

As you can see, I'm a little bit iffy on the take 10 rules. When can and can't you take 10?

25. - Top - End - #1165

Can you take 10 on Craft Alchemy checks to craft an alchemical Formulae talent from the Alchemy Sphere? Can the Scholar take 10 on Heal checks using their Medical Training class features?

As you can see, I'm a little bit iffy on the take 10 rules. When can and can't you take 10?
    Strictly speaking not in combat. Which is a bit of a problem for the Heal stuff. If you don't optimize at low levels, you have a chance to fail the DC and then lose also a chance to apply a heal. IMO, it would have been better to allow take 10. Especially since it reduces the healing variance. Basically you could have said "I always take 10" and you would know how much hp you heal automatically.

26. - Top - End - #1166

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dinosaur View Post
    Q401: Since the dart trap from the Trap Sphere requires you to make ranged attack rolls when it's triggered, would a Rogue get sneak attack damage on that attack if applicable (such as if the target hit is flat-footed)?

Q402: Is there any way to apply two (Trick) talents to a single Steal or Dirty Trick maneuver? I'm trying to figure out a way to combine Broke and Broken with Ranged Trickery to Steal from a distance.
    Just want to make sure this is seen while we’re talking about traps and trickery

27. - Top - End - #1167

Another question:
    Q 412: As written, if a creature is affected by the Bind Weapon talent from the Duelist sphere, they cannot move, but can still use their weapon or natural attack. Is that intentional?

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 413: Barroom Sphere - is this suppose to count as Throw Anything/Catch off Guard for the purposes of feats?

Cause there is the Grenade Expert feat that requires Throw Anything, but Throw anything is redundant with Barroom Sphere
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ICN View Post
    Another question:
    Q 412: As written, if a creature is affected by the Bind Weapon talent from the Duelist sphere, they cannot move, but can still use their weapon or natural attack. Is that intentional?
    The language explicitly preventing the use of the bound weapon must have been lost at some point. You are not supposed to be able to use a bound weapon.

30. - Top - End - #1170

The language explicitly preventing the use of the bound weapon must have been lost at some point. You are not supposed to be able to use a bound weapon.
    Just to be perfectly clear, the creature that uses the bind weapon talent cannot; I'm referring to the creature affected by it, in case that didn't come through.