New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Predictions for Star Wars Episode 9

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Just a thought but what if everything seen in Episode 8 turns out to be a force vision Finn experiences in his coma?

So he wakes up remembers enough to warn Poe who manages to get Ackbar off the bridge, but this time Leia dies her body found on the bridge clutching Han's golden dice.

How would you react if that happened?
    Of all suggestions I have read for 9, this is the only one that would make me actively want to watch 9, yet.

And that's despite me hating reboots with a passion - some movies require desperate measures I guess

So, Hopeless, if you happen to be Kathleen Kennedy or whatever she'S called, by all means, YES!
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    ...How would Leia have the golden dice, in that scenario?
    The Force.

If they noticed it would provide evidence of Finn's vision being accurate and also that Leia had joined Han in whatever heaven they have in the Star Wars Galaxy!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    The Force.

If they noticed it would provide evidence of Finn's vision being accurate and also that Leia had joined Han in whatever heaven they have in the Star Wars Galaxy!
    It's been a while since I've seen the film but from what I remember Leia didn't get the Dice from Luke. That was all part of the illusion. The real dice were still on the falcon.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    It's been a while since I've seen the film but from what I remember Leia didn't get the Dice from Luke. That was all part of the illusion. The real dice were still on the falcon.
    That was my takeaway as well. Luke gives them to her before his confrontation with Kylo, but it's all a projection.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

well for the people want to see ahsoka tano she lives but we need another episode of rebels post Vader era to make it sure as she survived from the sith ship explosion but still goes to gray jedi journey so we might need to wait next cartoon series to learn what happened to ahsoka while original trilogy happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

If we're going full "it was all a dream" then what has to happen at the end of Episode IX is Harrison Ford wakes up in bed with a start, saying "Honey, Honey, wake up! You'll never believe the dream I just had," and when the woman who'd been sleeping beside him wakes up we see it's Karen Allen.

Oh wait, no, that should have been the ending of Episode VII. Nevermind.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

7. - Top - End - #187

For better or worse, the fact that previously niche genres like fantasy, sci-fi and superheroes are becoming more mainstram, studios are movimg away from targeting audiences made up of fanboys. And since it's working out, I doubt they see any reason to change course.
    http://variety.com/2018/film/news/it...an-1202703426/
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    For better or worse, the fact that previously niche genres like fantasy, sci-fi and superheroes are becoming more mainstram, studios are movimg away from targeting audiences made up of fanboys. And since it's working out, I doubt they see any reason to change course.
    Eh, the SF that is becoming popular has never been the incredibly niche stuff, in my experience. Popular SF is stuff like Star Trek or Babylon 5, which are good series and I recommend them to many people, but there are still many SF stories I'd love to see become more mainstream but won't. Oh, and cyberpunk is popular, as both Blade Runner and The Matrix show, but it's kind of always been on that edge of popularity some things lurk at.

The example I tend to pull out is Revelation Space, as it's in the genre people tend to think of when you mention SF, but is very different. At the same time, there's a lot of potential for a rather accurate mainstream adaptation, although if putting it into a film you'd want to cut one off the two major plot threads.

With Superheroes, it's in a case of superheroes are cool, unless you read the comics. Which means I think the only real difference these days is that Marvel pumps films out so many films they're a big part of the major lineup.

Fantasy is kind of hit and miss. Some fantasy is really popular (Lord of the Rings, 'children's fantasy'*), some isn't (eleven billion different things).

I'd say that what's happened is that the definition of geekdom has been refined with social trends. Superheroes aren't geeky, superhero comics are. Liking Star Trek isn't geeky, being able to name the primary Vulcan character in every series is. Lord of the Rings isn't geeky, assassins using magic by ingesting metal is. At the same time some old nongeeky things are becoming more geeky.

* which yes, does have a decent following among adults, I'm talking more of the Narnia/The Hobbit style than 'fantasy aimed at kids'.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Its not like geeky things are becoming less geeky. Geeky stuff has just been consumed and regurgitated in a consumer friendly fashion.

This is well known and likely to continue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

10. - Top - End - #190

Fans (boys and girls) have been there forever. We would have watched Black Panther and Wonder Woman five years ago, ten years ago, fifteen years ago, twenty years ago, etc. Are you telling me that if they made an Old Republic movie with Bastila Shan as the protagonist ten years ago Star Wars fans would have boycotted?

The people that care about these movies is changing, meaning that more people care. Maligning fans for having been there first is insane. I'm glad that more people are interested in this stuff. But why these these articles making it something it isn't?

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    The people that care about these movies is changing, meaning that more people care. Maligning fans for having been there first is insane. I'm glad that more people are interested in this stuff. But why these these articles making it something it isn't?
    Because fans can point out plot holesor remember products that existed before the current one and persuade people not to buy it.
    A little condescending

12. - Top - End - #192

I suppose that's part of it.

Star Wars fan: TLJ is awful. Bad story, plot holes everywhere, and they turned Luke into a coward.

Mysterious person: Go **** yourself fanboy. Movies are no longer made for you. They are made for ME!!! So **** off with your complaints.

Star Wars fan: Uh, who are you??

Mysterious person: I'm not a fanboy of Star Wars, but I have always liked Star Wars, but Star Wars movies have never been made for me until NOW!!

Star Wars fan: They weren't made for you but you have always liked them? But you're not a fan?

Mysterious person: The days of you locking me out of the theaters are long gone evil fanboy! No one can stop me anymore from liking things that you also like! Muahahahahahahaha!!!

Star Wars fan:

13. - Top - End - #193
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Fans (boys and girls) have been there forever. We would have watched Black Panther and Wonder Woman five years ago, ten years ago, fifteen years ago, twenty years ago, etc. Are you telling me that if they made an Old Republic movie with Bastila Shan as the protagonist ten years ago Star Wars fans would have boycotted?

And that's not even counting that Wonder Woman was a project that was being pushed BY FANS ALONE for decades since the 60's and it was the producers who kept shutting down or playing deaf to those same projects. Even when a lot of fans liked them. Because they didn't believe they were appealing enough to "non-fans". People forget the sole reason superheroes movies are a big thing today is precisely because of the fandom, not the other way around. If Star Wars is what it is today, it isn't beacause of the Magic Rabbit of 2017; it's because of the old geeks who have been feeding the GreedMachineTM since the 80's.

Black Panther isn't the first great movie with black people as lead. It is certainly a great movie, but if it managed to pull the numbers it did, it wasn't because of a merit of its own on a vacuum; it is a merit of the industry as a whole. Release the movie, same script, with an adjusted budget according to the time say... 20 years ago (when Blade was released) and I doubt we would be talking more about Black Panther than about the X-men*. Blade was an objectively better movie than X-men; but at the time, everybody was talking about mutants, not vampires. Blade was recognized its merit much later; and that is, again: because of nostalgic fans who went back and rewatch the old movies removed from the baggage of their era.

I think a lot of people are trying to remove the fandom on purpose, as if we were the problem. "Star Wars is awesome, the fans are the problem! Black Panther wasn't released before because the fandom wouldn't have gone and watched it! Wonder Woman would have been released before if the fans wouldn't have been so nitpicky!" That's a big load of fresh, mushy and smelly BS. The problem was never the geeks. The problem is greedy companies who try to mask their forprofit! reasons with political correction. Critics and producers will use the geeks as scapegoats, as long as it serves as cool advertisement, which in turn, makes even more profit. I pity the fool who buys it.

*It's called hyperbole, shut up

End of the Rant
    (sic)

My English non très bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

14. - Top - End - #194

I suppose that's part of it.

Star Wars fan: TLJ is awful. Bad story, plot holes everywhere, and they turned Luke into an inexplicably evil coward.

Mysterious person: Go **** yourself fanboy. Movies are no longer made for you. They are made for ME!!! So **** off with your complaints.

Star Wars fan: Uh, who are you??

Mysterious person: I'm not a fanboy of Star Wars, but I have always liked Star Wars, but Star Wars movies have never been made for me until NOW!!

Star Wars fan: They weren't made for you but you have always liked them? But you're not a fan?

Mysterious person: The days of you locking me out of the theaters are long gone evil fanboy! No one can stop me anymore from liking things that you also like! Muahahahahahahaha!!!

Star Wars fan:
    Fixed it for you.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

And personally whilst I walked into WW excited with my mother and younger sister and where excited not for general based reasons we found the actress waifish and her acting bad, and the movie stupid.
    A little condescending

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Joeltion View Post
    And that's not even counting that Wonder Woman was a project that was being pushed BY FANS ALONE for decades since the 60's and it was the producers who kept shutting down or playing deaf to those same projects. Even when a lot of fans liked them. Because they didn't believe they were appealing enough to "non-fans". People forget the sole reason superheroes movies are a big thing today is precisely because of the fandom, not the other way around. If Star Wars is what it is today, it isn't beacause of the Magic Rabbit of 2017; it's because of the old geeks who have been feeding the GreedMachineTM since the 80's.

Black Panther isn't the first great movie with black people as lead. It is certainly a great movie, but if it managed to pull the numbers it did, it wasn't because of a merit of its own on a vacuum; it is a merit of the industry as a whole. Release the movie, same script, with an adjusted budget according to the time say... 20 years ago (when Blade was released) and I doubt we would be talking more about Black Panther than about the X-men*. Blade was an objectively better movie than X-men; but at the time, everybody was talking about mutants, not vampires. Blade was recognized its merit much later; and that is, again: because of nostalgic fans who went back and rewatch the old movies removed from the baggage of their era.

I think a lot of people are trying to remove the fandom on purpose, as if we were the problem. "Star Wars is awesome, the fans are the problem! Black Panther wasn't released before because the fandom wouldn't have gone and watched it! Wonder Woman would have been released before if the fans wouldn't have been so nitpicky!" That's a big load of fresh, mushy and smelly BS. The problem was never the geeks. The problem is greedy companies who try to mask their forprofit! reasons with political correction. Critics and producers will use the geeks as scapegoats, as long as it serves as cool advertisement, which in turn, makes even more profit. I pity the fool who buys it.

*It's called hyperbole, shut up

End of the Rant
    Yeah so... Blade was Marvel's first box office success. My exposure to Blade before the movie was limited. I only knew him from the Spider-man cartoon, and he was badass. So when the movie came out, I went to see it. And Blade 2, and Blade 3. I don't need to be in the midst of some socio-political movement to go see the movie because I'm a comic book/superhero fan. I also don't have to feel like Blade is "representing" me on screen to go watch him, because I'm a comic book/superhero fan.

This is the same with Wonder Woman. I saw every Batman and Superman movie in theaters since Superman Returns and Batman Returns. If they had thrown in a Wonder Woman movie or two in that time, I'd have gone to see it. I don't need a #MeToo movement to go do that. I don't need third wave feminism to go do that. It's a superhero movie. I'm going to go see it.

Same with Star Wars. I wasn't around for the OT, but I've seen all the PT and ST movies in theater, as well as Clone Wars. Now I'm being told that the movies aren't made for me *and* I'm not necessary for the franchise. Wow, kind of a slap in the face no? I didn't even know we were keeping score like that. I was just enjoying something I like. Well, that I liked, I should say.

It's so obvious that it's political. I mean... in all the time that I have enjoyed Star Wars, whether with the OT, the PT, novels, comics, SWTOR (and a little KOTOR), I have never once had to concern myself with political bull****. Now they're making bad movies and I'm being called racist and sexist, I'm being told the franchise is moving on without me, I'm no longer the target demographic. Um... wtf happened?

What happened is that the priorities have shifted. "Diversity" is now the aim of the franchise, and to criticize the new movies is to criticize diversity. And to keep the franchise hopeful and successful despite this criticism, scapegoats have to be created. (We saw the same thing happen to Sanders supporters in the 2016 election; change your mind or be labeled every -ist under the sun.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy
    Fixed it for you.
    Lol, fair enough .
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon
    And personally whilst I walked into WW excited with my mother and younger sister and where excited not for general based reasons we found the actress waifish and her acting bad, and the movie stupid.
    Wonder Woman is SUPER overrated.

17. - Top - End - #197

I didn't even know Blade was from a comic until very recently.

And the movie was hugely popular with my friends - none of them black, I might add. Just didn't matter. It was a cool movie, that's why my friends liked it. End of story.

I also didn't really know Star Wars 8 was so much about politics and feminism, until I watched a couple reviews on youtube and read articles - because I was soooooo disappointed and wanted to know whether I was the only one on earth who felt logic still belonged into movies.

I kinda felt that they went for diversity and female balance - since they already did that in TFA with Rey and Finn being female and black.
    And that was okay. I liked it. I never knew that I, as an old Star Wars fan, was supposed not to like the franchise anymore, and I didn't.
    And i LOOOOOVED Rogue One, not despite, but mostly BECAUSE it had a cool female lead. (I am for gender equality in the real world, but with movies I just have more fun watching cool chicks, than dudes, as a general tendency - see sig).

So I was kinda baffled when I found out that TLJ in general and the Holdo fiasco specifically had a feminist agenda to it.
    I just thought the movie was bad because it was bad.
    I didn't know at first that it was also bad because it tried to force an agenda. And it forced it in a pretty bad way, I might add. Anyone signing up for the Holdo military? Err, wouldn't think so.......I'd rather flee, like Finn.
    Last edited by Mightymosy; 2018-03-06 at 05:03 PM.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    I didn't even know Blade was from a comic until very recently.

And the movie was hugely popular with my friends - none of them black, I might add. Just didn't matter. It was a cool movie, that's why my friends liked it. End of story.

I also didn't really know Star Wars 8 was so much about politics and feminism, until I watched a couple reviews on youtube and read articles - because I was soooooo disappointed and wanted to know whether I was the only one on earth who felt logic still belonged into movies.

I kinda felt that they went for diversity and female balance - since they already did that in TFA with Rey and Finn being female and black.
    And that was okay. I liked it. I never knew that I, as an old Star Wars fan, was supposed not to like the franchise anymore, and I didn't.
    And i LOOOOOVED Rogue One, not despite, but mostly BECAUSE it had a cool female lead. (I am for gender equality in the real world, but with movies I just have more fun watching cool chicks, than dudes, as a general tendency - see sig).

So I was kinda baffled when I found out that TLJ in general and the Holdo fiasco specifically had a feminist agenda to it.
    I didn't know at first that it was also bad because it tried to force an agenda. And it forced it in a pretty bad way, I might add. Anyone signing up for the Holdo military? Err, wouldn't think so.......I'd rather flee, like Finn.
    I feel very similarly to you, with one notable exception: I still think the move was bad just because it was bad. Ain't no feminist agenda other than more representation, which I don't care about in either direction. Yay representation, why not. Boo bad movie.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel like the political agenda thing gets blown up way more on both sides of the fan reaction than was in the movie itself.

20. - Top - End - #200

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    I feel like the political agenda thing gets blown up way more on both sides of the fan reaction than was in the movie itself.
    Quite possibly.

But also appearantly by Disney representatives, at least if you believe the youtube commentaries. I usually don't follow such comments by producers, directors etc. I care for the movie only, not how it is made or why and with which agenda. Usually ;-)
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah so... Blade was Marvel's first box office success. My exposure to Blade before the movie was limited. I only knew him from the Spider-man cartoon, and he was badass. So when the movie came out, I went to see it. And Blade 2, and Blade 3. I don't need to be in the midst of some socio-political movement to go see the movie because I'm a comic book/superhero fan. I also don't have to feel like Blade is "representing" me on screen to go watch him, because I'm a comic book/superhero fan.

This is the same with Wonder Woman. I saw every Batman and Superman movie in theaters since Superman Returns and Batman Returns. If they had thrown in a Wonder Woman movie or two in that time, I'd have gone to see it. I don't need a #MeToo movement to go do that. I don't need third wave feminism to go do that. It's a superhero movie. I'm going to go see it.

Same with Star Wars. I wasn't around for the OT, but I've seen all the PT and ST movies in theater, as well as Clone Wars. Now I'm being told that the movies aren't made for me *and* I'm not necessary for the franchise. Wow, kind of a slap in the face no? I didn't even know we were keeping score like that. I was just enjoying something I like. Well, that I liked, I should say.

It's so obvious that it's political. I mean... in all the time that I have enjoyed Star Wars, whether with the OT, the PT, novels, comics, SWTOR (and a little KOTOR), I have never once had to concern myself with political bull****. Now they're making bad movies and I'm being called racist and sexist, I'm being told the franchise is moving on without me, I'm no longer the target demographic. Um... wtf happened?

What happened is that the priorities have shifted. "Diversity" is now the aim of the franchise, and to criticize the new movies is to criticize diversity. And to keep the franchise hopeful and successful despite this criticism, scapegoats have to be created. (We saw the same thing happen to Sanders supporters in the 2016 election; change your mind or be labeled every -ist under the sun.)

Lol, fair enough .

Wonder Woman is SUPER overrated.
    You know I really take umbrage with the Not made for us thing that people seem to be spouting. I've been a Starwars fan since the early 80s. And to me these new movies Are made for me. There's a lot of " No true Scotsman going around. " A lot of us fans who wanted " Diversity " have been here since day one. Are we not real fans?

Calling people sexist or racist if they have legitimate reasons not to like the movie is bad yes. But what is also bad is saying that these changes are being made for the sole purpose of attracting some group of people who never were fans in the first place.

We were already here we were already fans.

22. - Top - End - #202

You know I really take umbrage with the Not made for us thing that people seem to be spouting. I've been a Starwars fan since the early 80s. And to me these new movies Are made for me. There's a lot of " No true Scotsman going around. " A lot of us fans who wanted " Diversity " have been here since day one. Are we not real fans?

Calling people sexist or racist if they have legitimate reasons not to like the movie is bad yes. But what is also bad is saying that these changes are being made for the sole purpose of attracting some group of people who never were fans in the first place.

If you ask me, you are even a greater fan than I am.

You stick to the franchise after TLJ, while I turn my back and lose interest (at least in the "saga"; I may play PC games or watch spin-offs like "Solo").

For me, sticking to StarWars series after TLJ means true fandom (because I personally think TLJ was a disaster of a movie).

So, I'd consider you a true fan.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

If you ask me, you are even a greater fan than I am.

You stick to the franchise after TLJ, while I turn my back and lose interest (at least in the "saga"; I may play PC games or watch spin-offs like "Solo").

For me, sticking to StarWars series after TLJ means true fandom (because I personally think TLJ was a disaster of a movie).

So, I'd consider you a true fan.
    You're a true fan too though. That's my point. You don't need to like everything to be a fan. I hate the Prequels and Rogue One with a passion. But I'm still a fan. You hate what's going on with Episode 8 but I still consider you a true fan.

The problem is that I don't get to tell someone they're not a fan because they're new. Or because they've watched the movies for years but never gone to a convention or message board.

And if something in the new movies speaks to them well to me they're a fan with just as much right to the franchise as I have.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

You know I really take umbrage with the Not made for us thing that people seem to be spouting. I've been a Starwars fan since the early 80s. And to me these new movies Are made for me.
    And thats very noticable. But for a ton of people who where here for a very long time suddenly the franchise ISN'T There for them. And there are TONS of articles written about how

"Their Time is UP make way for the Homo Superior!"

In part also supported by the studio. So this is a battle people who really adore this movie started by throwing the first, third, fifth, twenty seventh and sixty third stone and then nepalmed the place to make sure nothing crawled out.

Diversity is an easy sell. For decades megacorporations have struggles with making audiences go to thier movies. Well "Representation" and "Diversity" are REALLY easy sells.

And this is something that can be repeated forever.
    The First X movie (See it or your a bigot)! Its important because we say so!
    The First Y movie (See it or your a bigot)! Its important because we say so!
    The First Z movie (See it or your a bigot)! Its important because we say so!
    The First XY movie (See it or your a bigot)! Its important because we say so!

And so forth and so forth forever and ever and ever. And audiences have a very short attention span so you can just restart at Xs every 10 years or so.

Of course that comes with the issue of true believers but they function in a way to silence dissent thats organic and doesn't cause too much negative PR.

George Lucas saying "Well people who disliked my films are fanboys!", makes him dodgering.
    Kathlin Turner saying "Well people who disliked my films are sexist fanboys!", makes him strong and unwavering in the face of oppression.
    A little condescending

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Quite possibly.

But also appearantly by Disney representatives, at least if you believe the youtube commentaries. I usually don't follow such comments by producers, directors etc. I care for the movie only, not how it is made or why and with which agenda. Usually ;-)
    I looked around Google/social media and asked for examples of that last time it came up. Didn't get much. Maybe someone's got a link?

26. - Top - End - #206

To Lethologica's point, the movie isn't really. Yes, obviously they added more people of color, the Jedi force-user is a woman, and all the men are fumbling morons. But none of that is intrinsically bad in and of itself. You could still make a good movie with these facts in place. The problem is on the outside of the movie. It's the reaction to the criticism of the movie. It's the narrative that keeps getting pushed. And to push it, they are (deliberately) alienating fans by twisting what the criticism is about.

That's what makes it political. Because it's not about the movie, it's about guys being intimidated by women, or hating to see a black man on screen, or falling prey to rabid hero worship, etc. This is a classic political tactic. Look to comics. When America got canceled, the article read "Marvel is canceling it's only book with a queer person of color" or something along those lines. Nevermind that the book's sales were garbage and any business with any sense would have canceled the book ages ago. It's not about the business. It's about the politics.

Look to any industry where this political movement's tentacles slither in; comics, video games, movies, actual politics lol. It's always the same. Do this, or you're evil. Do this or we will demonize you. They go in, disrupt the community, and attack the justifiably angry members of that community when they fight back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonix
    You know I really take umbrage with the Not made for us thing that people seem to be spouting.
    Where's that Fry meme lol. I feel like you think you're disagreeing with me but we're actually kind of agreeing lol.
    There's a lot of " No true Scotsman" going around.
    Yes, and the term "fan" has been weaponized as well. It's a real shame all around.
    A lot of us fans who wanted " Diversity " have been here since day one. Are we not real fans?
    I don't know Devonix, I'm not the one writing all of these articles online.
    But they *are* trying to expand who goes to see these movies. They are very vested in getting new blood into the theaters. It makes perfect sense from a business standard. ****ting on "the old guard" doesn't, but these people aren't very tactful in my experience.
    Did you read the article linked above? Hollywood, so the article says, was a slave to fanboys, who dominated the movie theaters and therefore determined what types of movies were being made. But that's no longer the case, so now new movies for other people can be made.

I'm not the one saying it dude. Couple that idea with the idea that critics of TLJ hate women and black people, or can never be pleased, or need to grow up, or whatever other attack you want to think of, it's pretty clear that they're shifting things in another direction.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Places like youtube and other places around the net have however given rise to a rather vocal subset of " Fandom. " That does behave in that very way. There are plenty of people who hate the film because of women being involved. There are people who saw a black person being pushed as the lead back in the first trailer and got pissed.

It was all over the place so of course people will talk about it. Was it everyone Hell no. But they were out there and they're still out there. Youtube in particular is full of them. And we can't pretend they're not there.

But it is a problem when the people who just don't like a flawed film get lumped in with them because they're loud.

I didn't like the Ghost buster's reboot. But I also saw people who hated the movie just because women were involved. And I hated that I was being lumped in with them. But I had to acknowledge that those people existed.
    Last edited by Devonix; 2018-03-06 at 08:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208

I get that Devonix. But it's annoying to read these articles that say something like this:

Is The Last Jedi perfect? No, of course no movie is. But look at these tweets from fans criticizing the new movie for its diverse cast:

"Women have ruined Star Wars"

"Rey is a Mary Sue feminist!"

"What is this fat asian doing in this movie??"

It's this focus on these handful of people that is frustrating, because it mischaracterizes the criticism of, and faults with, the movie. I much prefer the (few) articles where Rian Johnson is explaining some of the choices that he made. I don't agree with him on many, but I like to see what he was thinking so I can (maybe) better understand. But all the clickbait bull**** about racists and Abrams saying that men are afraid of women just serves to shape a narrative that isn't true. You made a flawed movie. Move on to the next. Don't use women and people of color as a ****ing shield.

But I shouldn't expect anything less from people that think Luke cowering on an island as his friends die is actually a heroic act. They'll continue to make bad movies and cower behind the blacks and the women and the asians.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

I get that Devonix. But it's annoying to read these articles that say something like this:

Is The Last Jedi perfect? No, of course no movie is. But look at these tweets from fans criticizing the new movie for its diverse cast:

"Women have ruined Star Wars"

"Rey is a Mary Sue feminist!"

"What is this fat asian doing in this movie??"

It's this focus on these handful of people that is frustrating, because it mischaracterizes the criticism of, and faults with, the movie. I much prefer the (few) articles where Rian Johnson is explaining some of the choices that he made. I don't agree with him on many, but I like to see what he was thinking so I can (maybe) better understand. But all the clickbait bull**** about racists and Abrams saying that men are afraid of women just serves to shape a narrative that isn't true. You made a flawed movie. Move on to the next. Don't use women and people of color as a ****ing shield.

But I shouldn't expect anything less from people that think Luke cowering on an island as his friends die is actually a heroic act. They'll continue to make bad movies and cower behind the blacks and the women and the asians.
    I mean, that goes both ways. For example, Abrams was specifically asked about "critics who decried [TLJ] for its focus on more female-centric stories"--that's a direct quote from the original article. His response was not about all critics or all men or whatever large group you consider yourself a part of. Doesn't stop critics from getting all het up about supposedly having their concerns dismissed by Abrams as feeling threatened by women. Just goes to show, everyone gets caught up in clickbait.

30. - Top - End - #210

Everyone does, it's true. But I specifically called it clickbait and I specifically called out that what upsets me is the attempt to shape the narrative. I don't talk to Abrams. Or Johnson. I talk to people online. And they read that **** and eat it right up and regurgitate it right back at me.

So, everyone is talking about this sexist racist backlash against Star Wars. And if you were to ever call Abrams out for it, he can just say "Well, I never said all people that don't like Star Wars are afraid of women. I just said that guys that don't like women in Star Wars are afraid of women, and I think that's true." Meanwhile, the entire purpose of the article that posed the question and published the answer in the first place is to frame the narrative in this way.

EDIT: Forgot to mention to look at the title of the article. To my point, it says one thing "Star Wars fans that didn't like Last Jedi are threatened by women characters" and then goes on to actually specify in the article something else (that some group that claimed to tank the RT scores, despite RT claiming that wasn't true, tweeted some complaints about adding more women characters, and this is what Abrams is responding to).
    Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2018-03-06 at 09:31 PM.