New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [BiTPR2] Renewed Revolution: Spirit World V

[Hueco Mundo, Las Noches City Gates]

(An unknown amount of time has passed in Hueco Mundo, anywhere from a few days to a few months based on my reading of the last couple of Hueco Mundo posts. I'm using that time. This is after the time they'd have been taken for the Gaiden Thread)

Approaching the gates of the Las Noches is a woman. Ash she approaches it becomes clear that it's a somewhat muscular female Arrancar in the uniform of a Numero, carrying what appears to be a human child, aprocximately fourteen, in her arms. The Arrancar has long dark hair and olive-tanned skin, while the child is pale with silvering hair. The child is likewise dressed in the clothing of a Las Noches citizen, but it's torn and freyed--she is without shoes, with frayed legs exposing her shins and no sleaves on her arms. The shirt is otherwise torn, exposing bandages on her torso. She is clearly unconscious.

The Arrancar comes up the gates. "Numero Svetlana Svetellegavanette returning from an expedition of education with my Ward." This close, there appear to be silver chains, like a necklace of bracelet, embedded seamlessly in the human child's arms

(Just to establish that they're still here)
    Last edited by Rater202; 2018-08-14 at 06:05 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    [Underground Prison]

"Doing many tasks at once only ensures one does not do well in any of them. " That might be the most honest thing Hishikawa Setsurou can get out of this discussion. "This one should not even need to recount the reasons why it does not believe you. Surely, your imagination will allow you to come up with them on your own."

---
    "That explains why you wield so many blades at once. Or at least used to. One isn't enough for screwing up as much as you did, is it?

And you don't really need to believe me. Won't change what the facts are.

Here is one such fact. Eibon was supposedly the one who set up the spells you tried to activate before the Commander-General faced off with you. If that was indeed the purpose of the Soul King for Soul Society, why were those spells not set in motion sooner?"
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2018-08-14 at 06:49 PM.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Combat Division]

Senshi opens and closes his mouth without a word couple of times, as if he's still thinking of what to say. After a while, he settles on a question: "If it'd been just your decision, would you have let Jehoel Yurius into Seireitei?"
    Masaru considers Senshi for a few moments.

"Which time, specifically?"

Spoiler: OOC Author's note
    Show
    I don't recall which instance we're speaking of, Jehoel's been in Soul Society a few times now.

================================================== ====================
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    [Seireitei]
    Forest

"So let it be written. So let it be done."

Not an arbitrary choice of words, as Masamune should know. It's the finalizing incantation of the spell. First the patterns of blood around Rin's body begin to glow, before the light flows down into the grooves along the ground and finally into the trees around them, creating a pulsing spectacle of golden radiance. When Rin's eyes open, however, they are consumed entirely by black pools of energy.

"Speak."

It is a thousand voices, and none. And it sounds very little like the Ki-Rin Empress.
    Masamune's eyes are closed until he hears the voice. When he does, they snap open and gazes steadly at Rin-not-Rin.

"Your servants seek your wisdom and crave your guidance."

Assuming he was not rebuked, he would continue.

"First. We ask permission to create more open, reliable, and permanent means of communication between Soul Society and the Royal Realm, particularly between the Gotei and the Royal Guard. We seek to avoid strife and strengthen the balance."

He waits for that answer before continuing.

"Second. We seek permission to temporarily assign one of our number to be present in Soul Society in the longer term, to aid in repairing the terrible wounds dealt to this realm."

Again, he waits for an answer.

"Third. We inquire as to the wishes of the Soul King regarding the location of Soul Society. Shall it remain where it is? Shall it come to the edges of the Royal Realm? Shall it go elsewhere? Does the King prefer a destination?"

He waits, a bit longer this time. Not hesitant, but less prompt with the question.

"Finally. We seek the wisdom of the Soul King, and his wishes, in regards to a treaty that the Gotei and Central 46 created with the Arrancar of Las Noches. Shall this treaty stand? Shall it be modified? Or shall it be discarded?"

If asked Masamune will provide more detail (he read through a copy earlier and has a good memory). Then he shall await the ruling of the Soul King.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ettin in the Playground

[Underground prison]

"The spell was to be cast when necessary. That it was not cast sooner is simply because your past government did not act with the required alacrity. This one has already made the King's displeasure clear to them."

---

[Combat Division]

Senshi looks confused. "This time. Has there even been another time?"

((OOC note: Seireitei is the walled capital of Soul Society. According to Jehoel, there are no records of him having been inside Seireitei before he was brought before the Central 46. Technically, this is Jehoel's second, known time in Seireitei, after he was let back in without restraints by Setsurou while the situation with Wan Li Lin was on.))
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

5. - Top - End - #875
    Orc in the Playground

[The prison]

"See, that's another thing. You say you acted under the King's consent, but Eibon set those spells up several centuries ago. Say what you will about Plus longevity, that's long enough to forget some things. Your punishment of them came for something they couldn't possibly have known because it was well before their time. Under what circumstances would that spell be deemed necessary?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

6. - Top - End - #876
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Seireitei]
    Forest

The possessed Rin stares evenly back at Masamune, not even breathing as the Royal Smith states his questions.

"First. We ask permission to create more open, reliable, and permanent means of communication between Soul Society and the Royal Realm, particularly between the Gotei and the Royal Guard. We seek to avoid strife and strengthen the balance."
    "In moderation, this will yield success. In excess, you will learn again why the barriers were once raised."

"Second. We seek permission to temporarily assign one of our number to be present in Soul Society in the longer term, to aid in repairing the terrible wounds dealt to this realm."
    "Choose wisely."

"Third. We inquire as to the wishes of the Soul King regarding the location of Soul Society. Shall it remain where it is? Shall it come to the edges of the Royal Realm? Shall it go elsewhere? Does the King prefer a destination?"
    "The edges of Our realm shall provide the easiest birthing of the new realm of the Soul Society."

"Finally. We seek the wisdom of the Soul King, and his wishes, in regards to a treaty that the Gotei and Central 46 created with the Arrancar of Las Noches. Shall this treaty stand? Shall it be modified? Or shall it be discarded?"
    "The Arrancar may become what the Hollows cannot."

Cryptic answers. But serviceable enough. Requests for clarification are rarely granted.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Combat Division]

Senshi looks confused. "This time. Has there even been another time?"

((OOC note: Seireitei is the walled capital of Soul Society. According to Jehoel, there are no records of him having been inside Seireitei before he was brought before the Central 46. Technically, this is Jehoel's second, known time in Seireitei, after he was let back in without restraints by Setsurou while the situation with Wan Li Lin was on.))
    "He has visited us once or twice more. But I believe I know the specific context of what you mean. It's not an easy question. Part of me at the time hated the idea. But...I don't know that I can fully go back to thinking on the issue as 'just a Guerilla Squad member'."

Masaru rubs the bridge of his nose.

"I don't want to just second-guess all the Captains and Commander-Generals before me. I wouldn't have done the same things, I don't think. But as much as just fighting Jehoel appeals to me on one level...on another, his sheer, raw, power means that I have to evaluate how much life would be lost. Even if we are 'just' spirits in the Cycle."
    ================================================== ===
    [Seireitei]
    Forest

The possessed Rin stares evenly back at Masamune, not even breathing as the Royal Smith states his questions.

"In moderation, this will yield success. In excess, you will learn again why the barriers were once raised."

"Choose wisely."

"The edges of Our realm shall provide the easiest birthing of the new realm of the Soul Society."

"The Arrancar may become what the Hollows cannot."

Cryptic answers. But serviceable enough. Requests for clarification are rarely granted.
    For a questioning of the King, this was remarkably productive. As he sat there, Masamune thought of two more questions.

"If you would grand me the boon of two more questions, I will ask."

If he is granted permission.

"How much of a threat is the being known as Von Geister?"

This one promises less clear responses, but may prove useful still.

"Is the new Commander of the Gotei a threat, an asset, or something else?"

Once more, he waits for an answer, then bows lower.

"I now submit myself to the wisdom, instructions, demands, or questions of the King. "

In other words, he's waiting to see if the Soul King has anything to ask or tell him.

8. - Top - End - #878

[Seireitei]
    Forest

"If you would grand me the boon of two more questions, I will ask."
    The entity continues to stare at Masamune without responding.

"How much of a threat is the being known as Von Geister?"
    "The Ghost King's might is no threat to the balance."

The first nigh-useless answer of the divination.

"Is the new Commander of the Gotei a threat, an asset, or something else?"
    "He is not what he believes himself to be."

"I now submit myself to the wisdom, instructions, demands, or questions of the King."
    Instead of answering directly, the entity narrows its eyes before boring a piercing gaze straight through Masamune. To his perception, the world shifts and melts away, replaced by a vision granted from the Soul King.

Spoiler: KnightDisciple only.
    Show

In a muted, monotone world, beneath a blackened sky, rubble and corpses in the thousands stretch out towards a barely-lit horizon. The ground beneath is uncomfortable and uneven, jagged stone and twisted limbs providing no easy footing. To Masamune's left, the Yellow Ki-Rin Empress materializes, meeting his eyes only briefly before she surveys the scene, her face grim. Near the pair, a particularly tall pile of bodies gives way to a large, pale serpent hovering in the air, biting its own tail to form a perfect loop.

After a few moments, however, Masamune's attention will most likely be drawn to the copy of the scene in the far distance: a mountain of bodies, crowned with a looped serpent (albeit black, rather than white), but colossal in scale. To Masamune's eye it dwarfs the nearer serpent before him, despite being at least a dozen kilometers distant.

After an indeterminate length of time, the sky of the nightmare collapses, crashing down on Masamune before snapping the Black Tortoise King back to the physical world.

As Masamune regains awareness, the light in his surroundings forcibly flows back into Rin, causing her to twist and contort in pain before snapping upright, held aloft in the air by the sheer power of the ritual. When the light has fully retreated, Rin arches her whole body in pain as the blood the flowed over her skin retreats back into the openings at each wrist before sealing back up. As the last vestige of the magic flowing through Rin fades, the Yellow Ki-Rin Empress collapses back to the ground, landing on her hands and knees before falling onto her side, motionless.

This is not unusual. But that makes it no more pleasant to watch.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ettin in the Playground

[Underground prison]

"Do not underestimate the foresight of the mightiest sorcerer in Soul Society's past", the assassin intones. "You created a situation where entire Soul Society was cast from the Heavens. Surely, you can imagine another such scenario. It is the Will of the King for the realms of the living and the dead to remain separate. It is why you seek to preserve the Balance. Surely, you knew that much. "

---

[Combat Division]

Senshi looks down at his feet as he listens to his Captain. It's apparent he has mixed feeling about the subject as well. "Yeah, I get that... but it's not like the choice is between fighting him and letting him walk around freely, right?" , he says after a moment of contemplation, looking Masaru in the eye. Senshi looks somewhat distressed.

"What I mean is... Seireitei is our capital. The center of our military operations. We don't ordinarily let even Rukongai citizens in without permission, we have miles and miles of walls surrounding us right now just to keep nosy people out."

"The incident at the hospital reminded me why we do it. I don't know who it was who went berserk. Some kid, I heard. They probably didn't even mean to cause trouble, but here we are."

"If Jehoel cut loose here, it would be just as bad. At least. The treaty between Arrancar is a thing, yeah, but it's been... what, seven months? Feels like years sometimes..."

For Masaru, it has been years.

Senshi sighs, his shoulders slump and he looks away. "... months back, there were rumours Jehoel was at the Scarlet Garden. That he was the one who offed Kenpachi Osuma. When I think of it now, he probably killed Kiba, too. I mean... why else would Kiba have left, if not to avenge Osuma? Dude was like a father to him. So... having Jehoel stroll around like he's part of the pack, with people paying more attention to a brawl... it's just wrong. I mean, I admit, it was a mighty fine brawl between you and that old guy, and I didn't really pay attention to Jehoel myself. But when I stopped to think about, it made me feel like I went to sleep and woke up in some alternate reality."
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2018-08-16 at 08:14 AM.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    [Hueco Mundo, Las Noches City Gates]

(An unknown amount of time has passed in Hueco Mundo, anywhere from a few days to a few months based on my reading of the last couple of Hueco Mundo posts. I'm using that time. This is after the time they'd have been taken for the Gaiden Thread)

Approaching the gates of the Las Noches is a woman. Ash she approaches it becomes clear that it's a somewhat muscular female Arrancar in the uniform of a Numero, carrying what appears to be a human child, aprocximately fourteen, in her arms. The Arrancar has long dark hair and olive-tanned skin, while the child is pale with silvering hair. The child is likewise dressed in the clothing of a Las Noches citizen, but it's torn and freyed--she is without shoes, with frayed legs exposing her shins and no sleaves on her arms. The shirt is otherwise torn, exposing bandages on her torso. She is clearly unconscious.

The Arrancar comes up the gates. "Numero Svetlana Svetellegavanette returning from an expedition of education with my Ward." This close, there appear to be silver chains, like a necklace of bracelet, embedded seamlessly in the human child's arms

(Just to establish that they're still here)
    The guards at the door blinked, then looked at each other for a moment. They seemed...well, rather run-of-the-mill, for Arrancar. One of them turns back to the women and speaks.

"Hold here, please. We're having one of the Espada come out."

Spoiler: OOC A/N
    Show
    Svetlana basically took charge of her to keep her from getting killed for hubris, right?

Soon, all present could feel that the Segunda Espada was on his way.....
    ================================================== ======
    [Seireitei]
    Forest

The entity continues to stare at Masamune without responding.

"The Ghost King's might is no threat to the balance."

The first nigh-useless answer of the divination.

"He is not what he believes himself to be."

Instead of answering directly, the entity narrows its eyes before boring a piercing gaze straight through Masamune. To his perception, the world shifts and melts away, replaced by a vision granted from the Soul King.

Spoiler: KnightDisciple only.
    Show

In a muted, monotone world, beneath a blackened sky, rubble and corpses in the thousands stretch out towards a barely-lit horizon. The ground beneath is uncomfortable and uneven, jagged stone and twisted limbs providing no easy footing. To Masamune's left, the Yellow Ki-Rin Empress materializes, meeting his eyes only briefly before she surveys the scene, her face grim. Near the pair, a particularly tall pile of bodies gives way to a large, pale serpent hovering in the air, biting its own tail to form a perfect loop.

After a few moments, however, Masamune's attention will most likely be drawn to the copy of the scene in the far distance: a mountain of bodies, crowned with a looped serpent (albeit black, rather than white), but colossal in scale. To Masamune's eye it dwarfs the nearer serpent before him, despite being at least a dozen kilometers distant.

After an indeterminate length of time, the sky of the nightmare collapses, crashing down on Masamune before snapping the Black Tortoise King back to the physical world.

As Masamune regains awareness, the light in his surroundings forcibly flows back into Rin, causing her to twist and contort in pain before snapping upright, held aloft in the air by the sheer power of the ritual. When the light has fully retreated, Rin arches her whole body in pain as the blood the flowed over her skin retreats back into the openings at each wrist before sealing back up. As the last vestige of the magic flowing through Rin fades, the Yellow Ki-Rin Empress collapses back to the ground, landing on her hands and knees before falling onto her side, motionless.

This is not unusual. But that makes it no more pleasant to watch.
    The answer about the Ghost King was...well, "encouraging" wasn't the word he'd use, but it could be worse.

As for the Commander-General...that was simply interesting. Especially considering the songs Koutarou's blade sang to Masamune.

He clenched his teeth as the vision hit, working to remember every little detail. This meant something.

And then Rin finishes the spell and collapses. Masamune didn't move a muscle until all the energy had faded and the Ki-Rin Empress was still on the ground. Only then did he appear by her side, his cupped hand suddenly full of cold, pure water held to her mouth to drink, even as he cradled her gently, half-laying on his lap. His "dirty old man" persona was gone, replaced instead with a tired old man caring for one of his few remaining friends in all of existence.

"I'll tell you our answers later. Drink, my friend. That wisdom was just what we needed, Rin."

================================================== ================

[Combat Division]

Senshi looks down at his feet as he listens to his Captain. It's apparent he has mixed feeling about the subject as well. "Yeah, I get that... but it's not like the choice is between fighting him and letting him walk around freely, right?" , he says after a moment of contemplation, looking Masaru in the eye. Senshi looks somewhat distressed.

"What I mean is... Seireitei is our capital. The center of our military operations. We don't ordinarily let even Rukongai citizens in without permission, we have miles and miles of walls surrounding us right now just to keep nosy people out."

"The incident at the hospital reminded me why we do it. I don't know who it was who went berserk. Some kid, I heard. They probably didn't even mean to cause trouble, but here we are."

"If Jehoel cut loose here, it would be just as bad. At least. The treaty between Arrancar is a thing, yeah, but it's been... what, seven months? Feels like years sometimes..."

For Masaru, it has been years.

Senshi sighs, his shoulders slump and he looks away. "... months back, there were rumours Jehoel was at the Scarlet Garden. That he was the one who offed Kenpachi Osuma. When I think of it now, he probably killed Kiba, too. I mean... why else would Kiba have left, if not to avenge Osuma? Dude was like a father to him. So... having Jehoel stroll around like he's part of the pack, with people paying more attention to a brawl... it's just wrong. I mean, I admit, it was a mighty fine brawl between you and that old guy, and I didn't really pay attention to Jehoel myself. But when I stopped to think about, it made me feel like I went to sleep and woke up in some alternate reality."
    "The average Rukongi citizen not being escorted to the Academy is not a representative for a foreign nation seeking alliance. The nature of the treaty Jehoel sought necessitated the direct attention of the Central 46. Conducting negotiations outside the walls would have either required bringing some or all of the Central outside of their designated spot, which...has never been done, or using one or more 'go-betweens', which would have been an insult and extremely cumbersome. As much as my heart says it was a poor decision, my mind says it was at least an understandable one.

The incident at the hospital was...regrettable, but the fact of the matter was, the patient there needed treatment that simply doesn't exist outside of the walls. Only the hospitals of the Gotei have the staff and equipment to deal with what that poor boy carried inside of him. Even as badly as the matter went. And multiple members of that group are high-profile members of nations that signed another treaty the Gotei is part of; again, simply turning them away is not the same as keeping regular civilians out. Nations in the living world allow diplomats; books I've read indicate that in centuries past, before we'd united into Soul Society, the same thing happened between the would-be-god tribes that existed in the Spirit World of yesteryear.
    "

Masaru sighs at the mention of the fight.

"I wouldn't discount the rumors, but feeding them does us no good. Jehoel is too powerful of a force to simply fight in a grudge match. And my fight with the disgruntled mortal was...ill-advised, as much as my honor and the honor of our Division demanded it. As for swallowing our disgust at likely making peace with Osuma's killer, this, too, is part of our history. The forging of the Gotei required more than one individual to work with another they loathed for the sake of the greater good. This is where we find ourselves, strange as the days may seem."

11. - Top - End - #881

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    The guards at the door blinked, then looked at each other for a moment. They seemed...well, rather run-of-the-mill, for Arrancar. One of them turns back to the women and speaks.

Show
    Svetlana basically took charge of her to keep her from getting killed for hubris, right?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Partly that and partly becuase Sarah was familar to her. By now they've figuresd it's becuase Sarah's soul was once part of a Hollow that Svetlana ran with before she was na Arrancar the last time it was dead.

And partly becuase the Sin Rostras were interested in her and how Frozen had Sarah's absorption powers interact with Negacione fields might have been useful.

"Of course."

The child stirs as the Segunda's presence and is set down. She stands to her own feet and immediately assumes an upright stance, arms at her side when she realizes who is coming.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Orc in the Playground

Show

Soon, all present could feel that the Segunda Espada was on his way.....
    ================================================== ======

The answer about the Ghost King was...well, "encouraging" wasn't the word he'd use, but it could be worse.

As for the Commander-General...that was simply interesting. Especially considering the songs Koutarou's blade sang to Masamune.

He clenched his teeth as the vision hit, working to remember every little detail. This meant something.

And then Rin finishes the spell and collapses. Masamune didn't move a muscle until all the energy had faded and the Ki-Rin Empress was still on the ground. Only then did he appear by her side, his cupped hand suddenly full of cold, pure water held to her mouth to drink, even as he cradled her gently, half-laying on his lap. His "dirty old man" persona was gone, replaced instead with a tired old man caring for one of his few remaining friends in all of existence.

"I'll tell you our answers later. Drink, my friend. That wisdom was just what we needed, Rin."

================================================== ================
    It is at this point that Kusuma decides to make an appearance. He'd been missing ever since the tiff with Katsuo sent him flying, and he went to get the Soukyoku to fight the boy with.

He looks confused, since apparently it is a bit later now, and since Rin looked like she was engaged in a very exhausting ritual.

He says nothing for now, simply coming over to kneel by his companion's side.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #883

[Seireitei]
    Forest

Rin stays unconscious for another few seconds as Masamune supports her, but slowly comes to and drinks the water offered to her. Nodding in gratitude, she sits up and takes a few deep breaths to stabilize her heartbeat. She smiles at Masamune, a little weakly.

"Every time, I believe I am fully prepared. You would think that I would know better by now."

After sitting for a few moments, she stands up with relatively little difficulty and walks, slowly but stably, towards the branches where the rest of her uniform is hanging. Lifting a water bottle and cloth from the ground, Rin downs the entire container in a single, long swig before beginning to wipe away the thick layer of sweat that has accumulated on the upper half of her body.

"Now then. I was privy to the Soul King's...generous...vision, but I was mentally consumed during the questioning. What has been revealed to us?"

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ettin in the Playground

[Combat Division]

Senshu frowns in thought. It's clear he's struggling with political intricacies of the situation. Especially that kid and his friends being from some other important nation... as far as Senshi knows, Soul Society and Las Noches are the only two spiritually significant nations. He has the feeling where he slept over a class and woke up to an instructor asking a difficult question.

"Yeah, I can understand that... but I still don't accept it." He clenches his hands and speaks more firmly now. "Did the Central 46 really agree to let Jehoel walk around, armed and unrestrained? If they did, they're a bunch of morons. They could've at least tell him to leave his Zanpakuto back home. Yeah, maybe it would be insulting, but we can afford to be a little insulting, right? The treaty's supposed to be cessation of hostilities, not unconditional surrender. Being pleasant to the Arrancars shouldn't take priority over security of Seireitei. Frankly, if the Arrancars start a fight over that, then the treaty's not worth it anyway, because they're just using it as a fig leaf to cover that they want to rule over us."

Senshi looks to the side. "... I don't know about the kid's situation, but I think the same applies. Captain, you said you don't want to second-guess your superiors. But I'm starting to think they need second-guessing. Someone needs to say these things to them before stuff gets wrecked. Jehoel's just the really obvious case. I mean, he was known as the Leviathan and the Jormungandr, he's the literal snake in the garden. So if we let him slip past us, what about the non-obvious things? "

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Partly that and partly becuase Sarah was familar to her. By now they've figuresd it's becuase Sarah's soul was once part of a Hollow that Svetlana ran with before she was na Arrancar the last time it was dead.

And partly becuase the Sin Rostras were interested in her and how Frozen had Sarah's absorption powers interact with Negacione fields might have been useful.

"Of course."

The child stirs as the Segunda's presence and is set down. She stands to her own feet and immediately assumes an upright stance, arms at her side when she realizes who is coming.
    It's only a couple of minutes before the gates open just enough to allow Turiel Vulkenssen through. The massive Arrancar walked until he was but a few feet away, then stopped, considering the two women in front of him for several long moments. Then, finally, he spoke.

"So. Your journey brings you here once more. What lessons have you learned on your walkabout?"
    ================================================== ===================================
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    It is at this point that Kusuma decides to make an appearance. He'd been missing ever since the tiff with Katsuo sent him flying, and he went to get the Soukyoku to fight the boy with.

He looks confused, since apparently it is a bit later now, and since Rin looked like she was engaged in a very exhausting ritual.

He says nothing for now, simply coming over to kneel by his companion's side.
    [Seireitei]
    Forest

Rin stays unconscious for another few seconds as Masamune supports her, but slowly comes to and drinks the water offered to her. Nodding in gratitude, she sits up and takes a few deep breaths to stabilize her heartbeat. She smiles at Masamune, a little weakly.

"Every time, I believe I am fully prepared. You would think that I would know better by now."

After sitting for a few moments, she stands up with relatively little difficulty and walks, slowly but stably, towards the branches where the rest of her uniform is hanging. Lifting a water bottle and cloth from the ground, Rin downs the entire container in a single, long swig before beginning to wipe away the thick layer of sweat that has accumulated on the upper half of her body.

"Now then. I was privy to the Soul King's...generous...vision, but I was mentally consumed during the questioning. What has been revealed to us?"
    "We are old, my dear. We're allowed to be foolish in our own ways."

At her question, Masamune frowned in thought.

"Clarity and wisdom, though never as much as we'd like..."

He proceeded to tell both of them the questions and their answers, and briefly recount the vision itself for Kusuma's sake.

"So. What are we to do?"
    ================================================== ==========

[Combat Division]

Senshu frowns in thought. It's clear he's struggling with political intricacies of the situation. Especially that kid and his friends being from some other important nation... as far as Senshi knows, Soul Society and Las Noches are the only two spiritually significant nations. He has the feeling where he slept over a class and woke up to an instructor asking a difficult question.

"Yeah, I can understand that... but I still don't accept it." He clenches his hands and speaks more firmly now. "Did the Central 46 really agree to let Jehoel walk around, armed and unrestrained? If they did, they're a bunch of morons. They could've at least tell him to leave his Zanpakuto back home. Yeah, maybe it would be insulting, but we can afford to be a little insulting, right? The treaty's supposed to be cessation of hostilities, not unconditional surrender. Being pleasant to the Arrancars shouldn't take priority over security of Seireitei. Frankly, if the Arrancars start a fight over that, then the treaty's not worth it anyway, because they're just using it as a fig leaf to cover that they want to rule over us."

Senshi looks to the side. "... I don't know about the kid's situation, but I think the same applies. Captain, you said you don't want to second-guess your superiors. But I'm starting to think they need second-guessing. Someone needs to say these things to them before stuff gets wrecked. Jehoel's just the really obvious case. I mean, he was known as the Leviathan and the Jormungandr, he's the literal snake in the garden. So if we let him slip past us, what about the non-obvious things? "
    "When Jehoel met with the Central 46 he was extremely bound and restricted. Within the Seireitei grounds as a whole he has been freer. I myself would disagree with how...casually...we have treated him, but that is not my decision, and I will respect the decision of the Commander while keeping a watchful eye out.

The situation with the children is different. They aren't just regular mortals, but rather empowered in one way or another. And frankly, my understanding of the sources of their powers says that in some ways, they have these abilities because of our failures. The destruction was caused in large part due to the actions of one of Von Geister's spawn; monsters the Gotei failed to purify properly. Seeking to aid their victims is small restitution, and I wouldn't be comfortable leaving them out to dry. It was a difficult choice.

Your questions have merit, but don't think you're the only one who's thinking from other angles. We have Captains who are specifically in place to be paranoid. Guerrilla Squad member or no, I'm not really one of them.
    "

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ettin in the Playground

[Combat Division]

Senshi gives Masaru a thoughtfull look. "I'm not asking you to be paranoid. Just... you say you were uneasy with this too. I hope you've made that known and will continue to make it known in the future." He sighs. "I guess you're right about the kids' situation being a result of our failures. But isn't the same true of Las Noches? Hollows in general? They aren't meant to be like that. Behind every Hollow, there is a tragedy we Shinigami are tasked to prevent or correct, but for some reason didn't, couldn't or wouldn't. Ultimately, all our troubles are our own making. I'm not sure if we're doing the right things to fix that. "

17. - Top - End - #887

It's only a couple of minutes before the gates open just enough to allow Turiel Vulkenssen through. The massive Arrancar walked until he was but a few feet away, then stopped, considering the two women in front of him for several long moments. Then, finally, he spoke.

"So. Your journey brings you here once more. What lessons have you learned on your walkabout?
    "I've learned what it's like to be a Hollow. Why the Laws of Las Noches are the way they are. Why my... companions... Had to die."

It's not clear from her expression, but looking her in the eye it's clear that she's angry. She doesn't like that it's like this. She hates Turiel. She hates Quidel. But it's a tempered hatred. Tempered by the knowledge of why things are the way they are and that there's nothing she can do about it.

Svetlana places a hand, firmly but gently, on the child's shoulder. "Tell our Lord Segunda what else you've learned."

"I've learned that I fit in far better in Hueco Mundo than I ever did on Earth. I've learned that there's nothing more I'd like to do with my life than serve Las Noches and my Lords the Espada."

Again, looking into her eyes... for all of her hate and vitriol, this is genuine.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2018-08-18 at 06:36 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #888

[Seireitei]
    Forest

Finished cleaning herself, Rin folds her peeled-away shihakusho back onto her shoulders and begins the process of reassembling her usual wardrobe.

"I do not think that any of the answers we received have given us cause to deviate from our planned actions. We have, hopefully, confirmed that there will be minimal interference with the Soul Society during its temporary position at the edges of the Royal Realm. Continuing along that line, I believe that the spells Wan Li Lin used to transport the Soul Society to this place may be the missing key in my research to create a new, separate dimension for the Realm of the Dead. The advice I was given when assigned that task was...distressingly cryptic. We also now know the Arrancar have a greater potential for evolution than the Hollows. I believe allowing this treaty to continue, with strict caution by the Shinigami, could be potentially fruitful."

Her mantle settles on her back. If Masamune hadn't witnessed it with his own eyes, it would be impossible to tell that Rin had been twisted in agony mere minutes ago.

"I believe we should return to speak with the Captain Commander."

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Combat Division]

Senshi gives Masaru a thoughtfull look. "I'm not asking you to be paranoid. Just... you say you were uneasy with this too. I hope you've made that known and will continue to make it known in the future." He sighs. "I guess you're right about the kids' situation being a result of our failures. But isn't the same true of Las Noches? Hollows in general? They aren't meant to be like that. Behind every Hollow, there is a tragedy we Shinigami are tasked to prevent or correct, but for some reason didn't, couldn't or wouldn't. Ultimately, all our troubles are our own making. I'm not sure if we're doing the right things to fix that. "
    "My working relationship with the Commander-General is healthy enough that he knows when I have doubts. I will say that I appreciate you coming in this context instead of in the middle of a mission.

As for what we're doing to fix our problems, the fact is that at this time we're having to focus on damage control, even putting aside the incident at the hospital. The Gotei has suffered some losses of late, and we're working to better understand and cope with the situation in the Mortal and Spiritual realms right now. I'm certainly open if you have ideas on potential approaches, but I'll warn you now it's probably going to be imperfect for a while.
    "
    ================================================== ====================================
    "I've learned what it's like to be a Hollow. Why the Laws of Las Noches are the way they are. Why my... companions... Had to die."

It's not clear from her expression, but looking her in the eye it's clear that she's angry. She doesn't like that it's like this. She hates Turiel. She hates Quidel. But it's a tempered hatred. Tempered by the knowledge of why things are the way they are and that there's nothing she can do about it.

Svetlana places a hand, firmly but gently, on the child's shoulder. "Tell our Lord Segunda what else you've learned."

"I've learned that I fit in far better in Hueco Mundo than I ever did on Earth. I've learned that there's nothing more I'd like to do with my life than serve Las Noches and my Lords the Espada."

Again, looking into her eyes... for all of her hate and vitriol, this is genuine.
    Turiel considers them both for long moments, before giving a single nod.

"Very well. You will still be assigned to Numeros Svetlana for the time being, but so long as you know how Las Noches functions, then it sounds like you won't be too...disruptive. You are free to enter."

He steps aside to allow them entrance to the city full of hungry ghosts.
    ================================================== ====
    [Seireitei]
    Forest

Finished cleaning herself, Rin folds her peeled-away shihakusho back onto her shoulders and begins the process of reassembling her usual wardrobe.

"I do not think that any of the answers we received have given us cause to deviate from our planned actions. We have, hopefully, confirmed that there will be minimal interference with the Soul Society during its temporary position at the edges of the Royal Realm. Continuing along that line, I believe that the spells Wan Li Lin used to transport the Soul Society to this place may be the missing key in my research to create a new, separate dimension for the Realm of the Dead. The advice I was given when assigned that task was...distressingly cryptic. We also now know the Arrancar have a greater potential for evolution than the Hollows. I believe allowing this treaty to continue, with strict caution by the Shinigami, could be potentially fruitful."

Her mantle settles on her back. If Masamune hadn't witnessed it with his own eyes, it would be impossible to tell that Rin had been twisted in agony mere minutes ago.

"I believe we should return to speak with the Captain Commander."
    "I agree. The King's words have only affirmed our course, though we may yet make a few minor alterations. I feel...hopeful. Come, let us meet with the most powerful Shinigami in the Gotei."

With that, Masamune turned and began walking back toward the Command Division's area, the intent clearly to soon meet with Koutarou...
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2018-08-18 at 11:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #890

Turiel considers them both for long moments, before giving a single nod.

"[color=#B37400]Very well. You will still be assigned to Numeros Svetlana for the time being, but so long as you know how Las Noches functions, then it sounds like you won't be too...disruptive. You are free to enter.[//color]"

He steps aside to allow them entrance to the city full of hungry ghosts.
    The child bows. "Thank you, my Lord"

Svetlana escorts the child in her care into the city.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ettin in the Playground

[Combat Division]

Senshi scratches the back of his neck. "I don't really... have an idea. Not on how to do things better. It's just this thing gnawing at the back of my head..."

His eyes lose focus and it takes a while before he continues. "... it's that Hollow you commanded me to purify. The gates of Hell appeared to claim it as its own. Funny, right? Didn't know that could happen on Soul Society's ground."

"So I went to talk with the guy who had captured it. Turns out, he didn't have a good reason for leaving it... unpurified."
    That's an interesting choice of words. The pause there suggests Senshi was about to say something else, maybe 'alive', but then decided differently.

"He just wanted to claim the Hollow as a pet. Some twisted eye-for-eye, tooth-for-tooth reasoning. So that got me thinking about why we purify Hollows to begin with. They're not just monsters to protect people from, they are people we are trying to save... no wait, 'save' maybe isn't the best word. Uh... restore them to their proper state. Anyway... there is a Hell. We don't purify Hollows just for the sake of people, or just for the sake of Hollows themselves. There's a sort of... cosmic justice we're also serving. "

"So... how is Las Noches and the Arrancars supposed to fit into that?"
    Senshi sounds like he's asking the question from himself just as much as from Masaru.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Orc in the Playground

"I agree. The King's words have only affirmed our course, though we may yet make a few minor alterations. I feel...hopeful. Come, let us meet with the most powerful Shinigami in the Gotei."

With that, Masamune turned and began walking back toward the Command Division's area, the intent clearly to soon meet with Koutarou...
    When the Guardsmen first arrive, the Commander-General isn't there; he'd been busy seeing to the accommodations of their mortal guests as well as making some of the necessary decisions regarding those in the hospital that needed to be moved. His lack of a second-in-command as well as the lack of even interim leadership in the Medicine and Logistics division means much of those decisions ended up higher in the chain, and he has always been a hands-on kind of leader.

That said, he doesn't make them wait long - only enough for some tea to be brewed.

"My deepest apologies. The events of this evening have been exceptionally demanding."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #893

[Seireitei]
    Command Division HQ

"I have no doubt."

As usual, Rin has not even a hair out of place. She sits to the left of Masamune, fixing Koutarou with a penetrating stare that is unbroken even as she takes a sip from her cup.

"We have consulted with the Soul King on the matter of your punishment and the recent events in the Soul Society. First of all, we have been permitted to establish more clear lines of communication with the Seireitei in order to ensure that there are no other miscommunications. This will not change the fundamental purpose or behavior of the Royal Guard; we shall remain distant once more after the Soul Society has been rebuilt. Second, the treaty with Las Noches may continue, for the moment, but with the strictest vigilance. The Arrancar rest on a knife-edge of civility; if they fall, they must be annihilated. Third, we will be finishing the Soul Society's temporary migration to the Royal Realm. We will soon be able to separate it once more and fully recover the balance between the worlds."

The Yellow Ki-Rin Empress takes another sip of her tea before continuing.

"As for the matter of your punishment..."

She breaks eye contact with Koutarou for the first time since he entered the room, turning her head to look towards Masamune and Kusuma.
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2018-08-24 at 03:00 PM.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The child bows. "Thank you, my Lord"

Svetlana escorts the child in her care into the city.
    "You are welcome. Do not betray the trust placed in both of you."

And with that, he's gone, and they enter the city without incident.
    ================================================== ===========
    [Combat Division]

Senshi scratches the back of his neck. "I don't really... have an idea. Not on how to do things better. It's just this thing gnawing at the back of my head..."

His eyes lose focus and it takes a while before he continues. "... it's that Hollow you commanded me to purify. The gates of Hell appeared to claim it as its own. Funny, right? Didn't know that could happen on Soul Society's ground."

"So I went to talk with the guy who had captured it. Turns out, he didn't have a good reason for leaving it... unpurified."
    That's an interesting choice of words. The pause there suggests Senshi was about to say something else, maybe 'alive', but then decided differently.

"He just wanted to claim the Hollow as a pet. Some twisted eye-for-eye, tooth-for-tooth reasoning. So that got me thinking about why we purify Hollows to begin with. They're not just monsters to protect people from, they are people we are trying to save... no wait, 'save' maybe isn't the best word. Uh... restore them to their proper state. Anyway... there is a Hell. We don't purify Hollows just for the sake of people, or just for the sake of Hollows themselves. There's a sort of... cosmic justice we're also serving. "

"So... how is Las Noches and the Arrancars supposed to fit into that?"
    Senshi sounds like he's asking the question from himself just as much as from Masaru.
    Masaru was again quiet for several moments.

"I don't fully know, Senshi-san. I won't even pretend to have a good grasp on that question. I do know, though, that we cannot afford a war of purification with them right now. We have little choice but to let Las Noches stand. Perhaps in time we will be able to do more to purify at least the wild Hollows in the Mortal World. But we must do so from a position of strength, coordination, and confidence, or the Espada will strike with ruthless efficiency. The power they currently have amassed is...no small thing, if our intelligence is anything to go by."
    ================================================== ==================
    When the Guardsmen first arrive, the Commander-General isn't there; he'd been busy seeing to the accommodations of their mortal guests as well as making some of the necessary decisions regarding those in the hospital that needed to be moved. His lack of a second-in-command as well as the lack of even interim leadership in the Medicine and Logistics division means much of those decisions ended up higher in the chain, and he has always been a hands-on kind of leader.

That said, he doesn't make them wait long - only enough for some tea to be brewed.

"My deepest apologies. The events of this evening have been exceptionally demanding."
    [Seireitei]
    Command Division HQ

"I have no doubt."

As usual, Rin has not even a hair out of place. She sits to the left of Masamune, fixing Koutarou with a penetrating stare that is unbroken even as she takes a sip from her cup.

"We have consulted with the Soul King on the matter of your punishment and the recent events in the Soul Society. First of all, we have been permitted to establish more clear lines of communication with the Seireitei in order to ensure that there are no other miscommunications. This will not change the fundamental purpose or behavior of the Royal Guard; we shall remain distant once more after the Soul Society has been rebuilt. Second, the treaty with Las Noches may continue, for the moment, but with the strictest vigilance. The Arrancar rest on a knife-edge of civility; if they fall, they must be annihilated. Third, we will be finishing the Soul Society's temporary migration to the Royal Realm. We will soon be able to separate it once more and fully recover the balance between the worlds."

The Yellow Ki-Rin Empress takes another sip of her tea before continuing.

"As for the matter of your punishment..."

She breaks eye contact with Koutarou for the first time since he entered the room, turning her head to look towards Masamune and Kusuma.
    Masamune had been sitting there, quietly sipping his tea while listening. When the Yellow Ki-Rin Empress turned to him, the Black Tortoise King set his cup down, laid his hands upon his knees, and affixed the Commander-General with the stare of one many, many times the age of the one who was Kamen Rider.

"The Royal Guard are more than simply senior Shinigami who guard the Soul King. The Guard bear the titles we do to symbolize the intrinsic connection with the King that is part of being who, and what, we are.

Because of that, what you did to Wan Li Lin cannot simply be given a slap on the wrist, or a war game that makes you out to be the hero no matter the outcome. However, we recognize not only the fragile nature of our relationship with the Gotei forces, but also the base reasoning for your actions. Therefore, we have reached what we believe to be the best possible course of action to both reinforce the severity of raising a hand against the Royal Guard, but also make clear the fact that we do not seek destruction or tyranny.

Firstly, both yourself and one of our member will offer a public apology, discussing why the apologies are necessary, while reaffirming the bonds between Guard and Gotei, and the serious nature of our bonds and obligations.

Secondly, you will undergo whipping. This will not be a scourge; the punishment is less about pain and injury and more about symbology. As a show of solidarity, the Yellow Ki-Rin Empress will undergo the same corporal punishment, at the same time. This is to show our repentance at a lack of communication, which led to the unfortunate circumstances with the Central 46.

Thirdly, you will be considered on probation until Soul Society has been fully healed, and moved to the decided-upon section of the Royal Realm. I have faith that this will merely be a formality, and more severe punishments for risking the Balance, or the structure of Soul Society, will be completely unneeded. Part of this task will also require that you do as much as possible to remove the debris of Soul Society that fell upon the Mortal World.
    "

He sits back for a moment, waiting for Koutarou's response.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Orc in the Playground

Koutarou listens. And listens.

His face assumes... quite strange expressions. At first, it seems like he's sick to his stomach. He puts a hand over his mouth, and then despite himself, he lets out a snort.

And he laughs, almost dangerously close to bellowing, really.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!! I'm!! HAHAHA!! Sorry, I'm sorry. Hehehe. Ha.

I... apologize for my lack of self-control, it's just... I'm so incredibly relieved."

Resuming some semblance of formality, but still smiling, the Commander-general explains himself.

"Over the last couple of months, so much has happened. I don't think I've really been able to properly absorb it all, and now... given the latest incident, I was honestly fearing the worst. I think it has finally hit me that I'm not going to be needing to face it for once." Which, as Rin and Masamune can easily surmise, would be execution by Soukyoku. "You'll have to forgive me for saying so, and I hope that does not put me in a worse spot, but by comparison a whipping actually sounds like a slap on the wrist. Especially after my heart's been lashed at by the Royal Assassin. I was rather afraid that, depending on what had been decided, I would have to caution my comrades against doing something incredibly stupid over my punishment."

Having regained some more of his composure, Koutarou clears his throat.

"That said, I appreciate the solidarity, but I find it in poor taste to have one of the Royal Guard punished alongside me. Nevermind that physical, public punishment upon a lady such as Rin-dono is something I personally dislike; were it even Wan-dono in her stead, I would still ask to refrain from it.

The situation has only come to the point it has over my inexperience and my inability as a leader. My thoughts on the actions of the Red Pheasant notwithstanding, I should have found a different solution to such a conflict. My compassion for the esteemed members of the Chamber of Forty-six guided my hand instead.

Nonetheless, I understand that such decisions are beyond me. Instead, I thank you for your mercy."
    He comments with a bowed head.

"Something about what you said piques my curiosity, though..."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #896
    Ettin in the Playground

[Combat Division]

Senshi nods warily. "Yeah, maybe we can't go to war with Las Noches over it right now. But I have this feeling that we might have to go to war with them at some point" , he says, "and if I can think like think that, I'm pretty sure someone in Las Noches can too. Which means this treaty is ultimately based on a lie. Neither side really wants this peace. Both are just waiting for the chance to get a first strike without risking mutually destruction. I... suppose I could be proven wrong, if the Arrancars themselves would come to us with some kind of a solution... is there any sign of that happening? "

It's not a rhetoric question. Senshi's tone is that of a man who hopes that Masaru, or anyone else, would just present him a solution. So he wouldn't have to think about it anymore. So he wouldn't have to be the person to do something about it.

27. - Top - End - #897

[Seireitei]
    Command Division HQ

While Koutarou responds to his sentencing, Rin remains outwardly impassive. But Masamune, due to his physical proximity and centuries of experience, can sense an ever-so-slight shift in her body language. While Rin has always been an intense presence, when she speaks, there is a razor sharp edge that Koutarou has never heard before.

"I understand that you have been under tremendous pressure during the past months, Captain Commander, so I shall forgive both your outburst and your overt display of sexism."

Sounds like there's history there.

"To clarify, this is not a simple show of solidarity. I have been sentenced to all three parts of the same punishment that you have. Regardless of the reasons, the fact that an incident such as this one could happen at all is unacceptable. We need to demonstrate, with this punishment, that the Seireitei is not bound to the whims of the Royal Guard; we are all bound to the iron-clad duty of maintaining the Balance. Any threat to that will not be tolerated, no matter the source. As the youngest member of the Royal Guard, one of my responsibilities is analyzing our structure and functions from an outside perspective and making improvements. As the Red Pheasant's injury was a result of poor communication infrastructure, our failure was within my sphere of influence."

She pauses, and when she speaks again her voice has returned to normal.

"You may speak. Ask your question."

28. - Top - End - #898
    Orc in the Playground

The only thing that keeps Koutarou from breaking into a cold sweat at that response is the reasoning that follows.

"I apologize. I meant no disrespect in regards to your strength or constitution, Empress. It is only that I find physical aggression generally abhorrent, and even as a child, it always irked me that much more when it happened to women. It is not borne out of the sentiment you might expect, but rather that I have seen it visited upon mothers and sisters one too many times, and my lack of familial ties cut that much deeper then. "

Everyone's got a history.

"Nonetheless, I appreciate the education.

Now, my question is in regards to the spell that would move Soul Society. I admit the entire affair has me quite baffled. The Red Pheasant's words had suggested to me that for Soul Society to be located underneath the Royal Realm had been the intent all along. But I can find no records of such intent, and the spell itself appears to have been ready for several centuries - thus, there is no reason for it not to have been used sooner.

There was also implication that the spell itself was somehow never meant to be known to the Soul King, which has some disturbing correlations all its own."

Koutarou waits a moment for this comment to settle before continuing.

"The current location of Soul Society is the result of both the Ghost King's machinations to dislodge it from its previous location - supposedly within the bowels of the corpse of Izanami, baffling as such a notion might be - and our response to the spell itself to move Soul Society.

In no uncertain terms, I would very much like to know the whole story, if you would have me learn it."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Combat Division]

Senshi nods warily. "Yeah, maybe we can't go to war with Las Noches over it right now. But I have this feeling that we might have to go to war with them at some point" , he says, "and if I can think like think that, I'm pretty sure someone in Las Noches can too. Which means this treaty is ultimately based on a lie. Neither side really wants this peace. Both are just waiting for the chance to get a first strike without risking mutually destruction. I... suppose I could be proven wrong, if the Arrancars themselves would come to us with some kind of a solution... is there any sign of that happening? "

It's not a rhetoric question. Senshi's tone is that of a man who hopes that Masaru, or anyone else, would just present him a solution. So he wouldn't have to think about it anymore. So he wouldn't have to be the person to do something about it.
    "Some of it is the implicit threat of Mutually Assured Destruction. Some of it is that this whole arrangement is just...so new. And my perspective is very biased. Someone more objective might see more long-term value in waiting to see if the society Jehoel and his peers are building will flourish. I will do what I can to have regular conversations with the Commander-General on this matter. I think simply stamping down concerns among the Gotei about the concept would go...poorly. But the reciprocity is that you and other Shinigami need to continue to speak to me or other Officers about this, and not let fear and bitterness fester in your hearts."
    ================================================== ============================
    The only thing that keeps Koutarou from breaking into a cold sweat at that response is the reasoning that follows.

"I apologize. I meant no disrespect in regards to your strength or constitution, Empress. It is only that I find physical aggression generally abhorrent, and even as a child, it always irked me that much more when it happened to women. It is not borne out of the sentiment you might expect, but rather that I have seen it visited upon mothers and sisters one too many times, and my lack of familial ties cut that much deeper then. "

Everyone's got a history.

"Nonetheless, I appreciate the education.

Now, my question is in regards to the spell that would move Soul Society. I admit the entire affair has me quite baffled. The Red Pheasant's words had suggested to me that for Soul Society to be located underneath the Royal Realm had been the intent all along. But I can find no records of such intent, and the spell itself appears to have been ready for several centuries - thus, there is no reason for it not to have been used sooner.

There was also implication that the spell itself was somehow never meant to be known to the Soul King, which has some disturbing correlations all its own."

Koutarou waits a moment for this comment to settle before continuing.

"The current location of Soul Society is the result of both the Ghost King's machinations to dislodge it from its previous location - supposedly within the bowels of the corpse of Izanami, baffling as such a notion might be - and our response to the spell itself to move Soul Society.

In no uncertain terms, I would very much like to know the whole story, if you would have me learn it."
    " "Alas, we do not have the full picture ourselves. Wan Li Lin's plans, such as they are...you must understand, even in the dynamic in the Guard, secrets can be kept. We are not a hive-mind. We are still working to uncover and understand what Wan Li Lin's plan was, or Eibon's. This is another reason the Ki-Rin Empress will reside here in Soul Society for a time, to help these efforts. I cannot stay over-long, my duties are too vital."

By which he means forging more asauchi.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ettin in the Playground

[Combat Division]

For once, Senshi smiles. "Hey, that's why I came here, Captain. And I'll do it again. If I feel the need to. I..." His smile falters. He looks like he's not sure where to from here. "... I suppose that's all I have to say for now. I guess I'll go back to waiting for you to give me that permission to enter the Hellpath." Senshi stands up halfway and then stops. "Errr... permission to leave?"