New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1486
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Peelee's Chicken Fried Random Banter Thread #220

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    On an entirely separate topic - I vaguely recall that somebody here once said they baked biscuits every morning for breakfast, and that they premixed everything except the oil. This has me curious, because I only know biscuit recipes with solid fats, which are not so quick to mix in.
    Are we talking British biscuits (American cookies) or American biscuits (British ... I don't think we have an equivalent)? Because if it's the former, I think I have a recipe for oil-based biscuits somewhere in the dark recesses of my cookbook shelf.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Hermicus View Post
    The Super Bowl has begun!

And, yes, I am here looking at an RPG forum online instead of watching. Wonder how my team is doing...
    I'm just waiting for the ribs and sausage to be done, I'm a HungryTangible
    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Titan in the Playground

I've begun learning Esperanto, because apparently I'm the kind of person who wants unambiguous communication that nobody can understand.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #1084

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I've begun learning Esperanto, because apparently I'm the kind of person who wants unambiguous communication that nobody can understand.
    Too many people understand Esperanto for my tastes. If you want to be a true language hipster, learn Lojban.

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Are we talking British biscuits (American cookies) or American biscuits (British ... I don't think we have an equivalent)? Because if it's the former, I think I have a recipe for oil-based biscuits somewhere in the dark recesses of my cookbook shelf.
    American, and the closest British thing is, I think, the scone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

On an entirely separate topic - I vaguely recall that somebody here once said they baked biscuits every morning for breakfast, and that they premixed everything except the oil. This has me curious, because I only know biscuit recipes with solid fats, which are not so quick to mix in.
    I see no reason you couldn't cut the branding and use this recipe. (doesn't require premade dough) https://www.pillsburybaking.com/reci...-biscuits-1846
    Last edited by Mith; 2019-02-03 at 08:30 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    I see no reason you couldn't cut the branding and use this recipe. (doesn't require premade dough) https://www.pillsburybaking.com/reci...-biscuits-1846
    Mainly because I prefer a recipe provided by a person who apparently likes it enough to make daily, rather than something corporate made mostly to sell flour, or something from a recipe-aggregation site which in my experience are of highly variable quality.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I am referring specifically to the degree itself, 1 Fahrenheit to 1 Celsius, yes. 1004 meters is more precise than 1 kilometer.

In statistics, 'precision' describes being able to repeat an experiment and get a similar result each time; in more common parlance something is 'precise' if it is exactly the same as another thing. A 10 degree shift in Fahrenheit is certainly noticeable, but it's not as noticeable as a 10 degree shift in Celsius (especially at higher temperatures). It may be more accurate to describe this as variance or lack thereof, but I use precision because I am thinking of the measurements themselves more than how that measurement is communicated. Including decimals doesn't really affect this since if you give Celsius decimal places you'd have to do the same for Fahrenheit. 1.004 kilometers is still less precise than 1004.749 meters.
    Now you're placing arbitrary limitations on the number of decimals we're allowed to use and thus giving different units different numbers of significant digits. That you're truncating 1004.749 m (7 significant digits) to 1.004 km (4 significant digits) is not a flaw in the precision of kilometres, it's a deliberate action on your part. As a sidenote, the scientific notation for a distance measured to that precision is 1.004749·103 m, because then there's no ambiguity in the number of significant digits.

And yes, a 10°F shift in temperature is more subtle than a 10°C shift in temperature, but that doesn't make Americans better at estimating temperatures, it just makes Americans use larger numbers when talking about temperatures. This also lets me segue back into the original point I was making: That 1°F and 1°C both are too small to really have any significant meaning in day-to-day human lives. Because unless you pass the freezing point, 1°C isn't really notable, neither by our own temperature receptors nor in the nature around us.

I'd also argue that scale choice is a part of measurement technique, but w/e. Sunday is for rest and spiritual contemplation and that's about as far from an argument on degrees as you can go.
    Assuming you use the same measuring instrument and measure to the same number of significant digits, no. Using a very odd scale will not look too good in your scientific paper, though.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1089

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    I make vaguely American biscuits (as opposed to what British people mean by biscuits) for breakfast every day, and am probably who you are thinking of, but I am deeply weird in many ways. Anyway, here is my whole wheat biscuits with goat cheese recipe (vaguely based on the oil based biscuit recipe from Joy of Cooking):

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 tablespoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup milk (I use skim cow's milk)
    1/6 cup oil (I use olive oil)
    3-4 ounces of goat cheese (I use a third of a Costco 10.5 ounce log)

Preheat oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit

Combine dry ingredients in bowl. These can be pre-measured into pint canning jars so you're only making dry mix every two weeks or so. Mix thoroughly (I use a fork, if you have a sifter you could also sift these things together).

Add milk to liquid measure, then add oil to the same measure without removing the milk. (These add up to being half a cup, so just measure the milk into a liquid measure with both 1/3 cup and 1/2 cup markings, and then add oil to the milk until the combination is at 1/2 cup.) Stir.

Add wet into dry, mixing as little as possible to combine ingredients.

Cut goat cheese into 8 equal pieces.

Divide dough into 8 equal pieces.

Shape a piece of dough around each piece of cheese, roll into ball. Place on cookie sheet (you may want to add a bit of oil underneath each biscuit if you are not using a non-stick cookie sheet).

Bake for 8 minutes at 475 degrees. Serve warm.

I've also made these with water instead of milk when I had a friend who couldn't eat cow's milk but could eat goat's milk, and used various other oils. I've also used a water and sour cream mixture when I was just plain out of milk one day. That part's pretty flexible as long as it's liquid and oil in the right amounts.

These are not as fluffy and light as proper biscuits (the oil instead of solid fat means you don't get the air pockets, and whole what flour is not doing it any favors in the light and fluffy department either), but work well as a hand-held breakfast food that takes me less than 20 minutes (including cook time) in the morning and contains entirely ingredients that stay good for long enough that I don't have to make a mid-week grocery run just for breakfast food.

Lately, I've been playing with adding savory spices into the dough as well. So far I've been adding turmeric because it seems to make my sinuses happy if I eat turmeric regularly and bulk spices are much cheaper than pills, but if I were serving this to other people I'd probably try the kinds of herbs that normal people might roll goat cheese in instead.
    Last edited by Algeh; 2019-02-04 at 05:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Mainly because I prefer a recipe provided by a person who apparently likes it enough to make daily, rather than something corporate made mostly to sell flour, or something from a recipe-aggregation site which in my experience are of highly variable quality.
    Fair enough. I was more thinking in terms of a basic recipe to modify over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    I make vaguely American biscuits (as opposed to what British people mean by biscuits) for breakfast every day, and am probably who you are thinking of, but I am deeply weird in many ways. Anyway, here is my whole wheat biscuits with goat cheese recipe (vaguely based on the oil based biscuit recipe from Joy of Cooking):

Ingredients:
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine dry ingredients in bowl. These can be pre-measured into pint canning jars so you're only making dry mix every two weeks or so. Mix thoroughly (I use a fork, if you have a sifter you could also sift these things together).

Add milk to liquid measure, then add oil to the same measure without removing the milk. (These add up to being half a cup, so just measure the milk into a liquid measure with both 1/3 cup and 1/2 cup markings, and then add oil to the milk until the combination is at 1/2 cup.) Stir.

Shape a piece of dough around each piece of cheese, roll into ball. Place on cookie sheet (you may want to add a bit of oil underneath each biscuit if you are not using a non-stick cookie sheet).

I've also made these with water instead of milk when I had a friend who couldn't eat cow's milk but could eat goat's milk, and used various other oils. I've also used a water and sour cream mixture when I was just plain out of milk one day. That part's pretty flexible as long as it's liquid and oil in the right amounts.

These are not as fluffy and light as proper biscuits (the oil instead of solid fat means you don't get the air pockets, and whole what flour is not doing it any favors in the light and fluffy department either), but work well as a hand-held breakfast food that takes me less than 20 minutes (including cook time) in the morning and contains entirely ingredients that stay good for long enough that I don't have to make a mid-week grocery run just for breakfast food.

Lately, I've been playing with adding savory spices into the dough as well. So far I've been adding turmeric because it seems to make my sinuses happy if I eat turmeric regularly and bulk spices are much cheaper than pills, but if I were serving this to other people I'd probably try the kinds of herbs that normal people might roll goat cheese in instead.
    These sound amazing.

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Titan in the Playground

Ingredients:
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Well, I'll give it a go when I next get a chance, probably tomorrow's breakfast.
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Now you're placing arbitrary limitations
    Arbitrary, adjective.

Determined by chance, whim, or impulse, and not by necessity, reason, or principle: stopped at the first motel we passed, an arbitrary choice.

Based on or subject to individual judgment or preference: The diet imposes overall calorie limits, but daily menus are arbitrary.

Established by a court or judge rather than by a specific law or statute: an arbitrary penalty.

No I haven't.

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Thumbs down Re: Peelee's Chicken Fried Random Banter Thread #220

Arbitrary, adjective.

Determined by chance, whim, or impulse, and not by necessity, reason, or principle: stopped at the first motel we passed, an arbitrary choice.

Based on or subject to individual judgment or preference: The diet imposes overall calorie limits, but daily menus are arbitrary.

Established by a court or judge rather than by a specific law or statute: an arbitrary penalty.

No I haven't.
    Sure you have. You said 1004 meters is more precise than 1 kilometer. Well of course it is, you have it more significant figures. 1004 meters is no more precise than 1.004 kilometers, 1 meter us no more precise than 1 kilometer, 1 centimeter is no more precise than 1 inch, and 1 degree Fahrenheit is no more precise than 1 degree Celsius.

Stop saying "X is more precise than Y, and to prove it, let me give a horribly flawed example" and you'll be fine.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Titan in the Playground

annoyed Re: Peelee's Chicken Fried Random Banter Thread #220

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Sure you have. You said 1004 meters is more precise than 1 kilometer. Well of course it is, you have it more significant figures. 1004 meters is no more precise than 1.004 kilometers, 1 meter us no more precise than 1 kilometer, 1 centimeter is no more precise than 1 inch, and 1 degree Fahrenheit is no more precise than 1 degree Celsius.
    3 of those 4 examples are not equivalent.

So... even by your logic you're still wrong.

Stop saying "X is more precise than Y, and to prove it, let me give a horribly flawed example" and you'll be fine.

I am comparing units to units. You are modifying the unit to make it more precise in order to prove that the unit is equally precise.

You're wrong. Period.

And I am done here.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2019-02-04 at 11:28 AM.

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #1095

Why it's almost as if you started talking about units of different systems, then units of the same system to try to make a point, (poorly, I feel the need to add), and I deliberately used those examples to segue back to show you that your argument is both disingenuous and incorrect.

Also, just simply plugging your ears and saying "nanananana I'm right you're wrong" doesn't make it so. Of course, since we're at that point already, I doubt my telling you that will help, but hey, call me an optimist.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-02-04 at 11:37 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ingredients:
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Sounds good! No eggs, yeast and using oil makes me suspicious that it would be extremely dense. Have you tried rolling it out more like tortillas or naan?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Sounds good! No eggs, yeast and using oil makes me suspicious that it would be extremely dense. Have you tried rolling it out more like tortillas or naan?
    Hmmmm. If one rolls it out, crumbles the cheese across, fold over and roll out again, should that do for cheesy "flatbread". (Quotation because I may be wrong about terminology there.)
    Last edited by Mith; 2019-02-04 at 02:06 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Troll in the Playground

*lurks*

*cleans dust off of the corner*

Ah, yes, a brief FinnUpdate.

Began my last internship required for my degree today. I feel very welcome and already today I got to give some input to the organisation that was recieved well and ended up in a decision to work on a certain smaller project.

I moved on Dec 30th and I've enjoyed my time here. It gets a bit lonely at times, but then again, I'm an introvert. My apartment is amazing (LaZodiac and AuthorGirl can confirm), and I've gotten to decorate it just how I've always wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

19. - Top - End - #1099

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Ah, yes, a brief FinnUpdate.:
    Hooray! Sounds like things have been going great for you. Good to hear.

20. - Top - End - #1100

MindFlayer

You all do notice the biscuit recipe includes baking powder? The proportion of baking powder to flour is a bit more than my baking powder package recommends, so the results shouldn't be denser than any other soda bread.

-- edit it from "baking power" to "baking powder".
    Last edited by DavidSh; 2019-02-04 at 02:25 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1101

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    You all do notice the biscuit recipe includes baking powder? The proportion of baking powder to flour is a bit more than my baking powder package recommends, so the results shouldn't be denser than any other soda bread.

-- edit it from "baking power" to "baking powder".
    The more baking power you have, the better the results.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Use Mjolnir themed cooking utensils to harness the baking power of Thor?

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Troll in the Playground

Hooray! Sounds like things have been going great for you. Good to hear.
    Well... for the most part. I've been forgetting to take my depression meds but I'm back on track again. Having a proper daily rhythm really helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

*lurks*

Began my last internship required for my degree today. I feel very welcome and already today I got to give some input to the organisation that was recieved well and ended up in a decision to work on a certain smaller project.

I moved on Dec 30th and I've enjoyed my time here. It gets a bit lonely at times, but then again, I'm an introvert. My apartment is amazing (LaZodiac and AuthorGirl can confirm), and I've gotten to decorate it just how I've always wanted.
    Your FinnL internship eh? Glad you are enjoying it :)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Titan in the Playground

Do I need a whisk-based mech to access this amazing baking power? My whisk is the whisk that shall cream the sugar!
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-02-04 at 02:59 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Does your whisk glow with an awesome power?
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Titan in the Playground

Arbitrary, adjective.

No I haven't.
    What said you were allowed to extend the measurement in metres out to 3 decimals when you extended the measurement in kilometres out to 3 decimals? And why wasn't the measurement in kilometres allowed to extend out to 6 decimals when you did that? What made your comparison unbiased?

Let's say we have a 1 km long staff, and 1000 perfectly identical 1 m rods. If we laid out the 1 m rods perfectly parallel to the 1 km staff with absolutely no gaps inbetween, and the line of rods didn't turn out to be the same length as the staff, which of the two would you trust to provide a more accurate measurement of 1 km?

*lurks*

I'm so, so sorry about the mess! I was planning on hoovering it this weekend but then I completely forgot about it!

Wow, that's pretty awesome all around! Congratulations Finn!
    And now you have me really curious about the looks of your apartment.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Troll in the Playground

*lurks*

...wait, which corner has dust in it? I thought I cleaned all eleventeen?

Good to hear that everything seems to be going well. I'm jealous of all that, apartment and internship (and apparently friends within visiting distance), but, glad that at least someone has it.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    ...wait, which corner has dust in it? I thought I cleaned all eleventeen?

Good to hear that everything seems to be going well. I'm jealous of all that, apartment and internship (and apparently friends within visiting distance), but, glad that at least someone has it.
    Well, my corner has dust, but I am also bringing small children in and out all the time. Mud dries to dust. Dust gets spread around. Little children in the center of it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Colossus in the Playground

*lurks*

It is in fact really cool!