New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Baked in an oven. I can get it to a perfect medium rare with this method.
    That was my subtle way of saying "you have a heat source, apply it to bread."
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    That's a great price. Normally a buck would only get you 82 pence.
    This joke is bad and you should feel bad.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

Never underestimate our willingness to discuss meat.
    You need to be careful though, the sausage conversation got me thrown out of the gay bar.

All I asked was if anybody knew where I could find a firm rod of meat. ..
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Any discussion of toast always inevitably brings to mind the Calvin and Hobbes strip on the matter.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Colossus in the Playground

Y'all the microwave is a heat source, don't see any of you suggesting I use that to toast my bread. I didn't know that you could get the same result from pan-frying or baking it.

6. - Top - End - #636

Y'all the microwave is a heat source, don't see any of you suggesting I use that to toast my bread. I didn't know that you could get the same result from pan-frying or baking it.
    Actually it's not. It's a microwave source, which can cause some things to get hot, but it's not a heat source itself.

EYA: You ever had grilled cheese sandwich?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-08-29 at 02:51 PM.

7. - Top - End - #637

BlackDragon

Do Canadians use "grilled" to mean "heated on a metal object from beneath", as the USAians do, or do they follow the British convention where "to grill" means "to cook using radiant heat from above"? You can do a grilled cheese sandwich using either, but the method is somewhat different.

8. - Top - End - #638

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Do Canadians use "grilled" to mean "heated on a metal object from beneath", as the USAians do, or do they follow the British convention where "to grill" means "to cook using radiant heat from above"? You can do a grilled cheese sandwich using either, but the method is somewhat different.
    It's Canada. They use both and just accept it. Also i don't know why we call it grilled cheese when it's pan fried and grills never enter the mix.

What do y'all call cooking on a grill? And do you use the word "broiling" for anything?

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

It's Canada. They use both and just accept it.
    I blame America. Making it harder on us, just because you're our largest trading partner. *vague grumbling about metric*

10. - Top - End - #640

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I blame America. Making it harder on us, just because you're our largest trading partner. *vague grumbling about metric*
    Is that an obesity joke? I'll admit Alaska could stand to lose a few, it's enormous.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-08-29 at 03:13 PM.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

What do y'all call cooking on a grill? And do you use the word "broiling" for anything?
    We call cooking under a grill grilling, we've got no clue why you call it broiling (I think that's the name of a 60s rock group?). We call cooking on a barbeque barbequing, clearly.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to put some cheese under the grill before I can make my sandwich.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-08-29 at 03:18 PM.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

12. - Top - End - #642

Actually it's not. It's a microwave source, which can cause some things to get hot, but it's not a heat source itself.

I mean that's valid.

I have, and truthfully never understood that because they're pan-fried. Someone who is dead now used to call them toasted cheese, and for like a week I thought he meant toasting the actual cheese. Either way that's not the same as actually grilling bread to be used for a steak sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    We do on occasion, yeah. The former, I mean.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Troll in the Playground

Is that an obesity joke? I'll admit Alaska could stand to lose a few, it's enormous.
    No, it's commentary on the fact that we have our language, but we also have to incorporate some of your idioms and decisions so that we can actually communicate.

14. - Top - End - #644

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    We call cooking on a barbeque barbequing, clearly.
    Which explains the fame and popularity of British barbecue.

A grill (generic term, not specific cooking term) is an array of rods held together, spaced at regular intervals, forming an effective sheet, though, isn't it? What's the point of having a grill above the food? It shouldn't affect the cooking process while having a grill be what the food rests on (forming the cooking term "grill," or "barbecue" if you insist on using it as the term for the device and not the food) does.

15. - Top - End - #645

The point of having the grill above the food is to press it down onto the food. It makes nice grill marks on things.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

Which explains the fame and popularity of British barbecue.

A grill (generic term, not specific cooking term) is an array of rods held together, spaced at regular intervals, forming an effective sheet, though, isn't it? What's the point of having a grill above the food? It shouldn't affect the cooking process while having a grill be what the food rests on (forming the cooking term "grill," or "barbecue" if you insist on using it as the term for the device and not the food) does.
    It has as much point as my sex life does.

Anyway, speaking of other actual things that definitely exist, why are people still doing tis personality test stuff? Has there even been a single peer-reviewed academic journal that even says it has a rough basis in fact, or is it still hookum that has no relationship to reality.

About things that actually, certainly exist, my brother understood exactly why I was annoyed about controls as soon as he saw what I was playing. Why did I ever enjoy Angel of Darkness in the first place?

Show

17. - Top - End - #647

The point of having the grill above the food is to press it down onto the food. It makes nice grill marks on things.
    So you have something to make grill marks, and something else for the food to rest on. Vs. One thing to both make grill marks and have food to rest on at the same time.

You're not really selling me on British grills.

18. - Top - End - #648

It has as much point as my sex life does.

Anyway, speaking of other actual things that definitely exist, why are people still doing tis personality test stuff? Has there even been a single peer-reviewed academic journal that even says it has a rough basis in fact, or is it still hookum that has no relationship to reality.

About things that actually, certainly exist, my brother understood exactly why I was annoyed about controls as soon as he saw what I was playing. Why did I ever enjoy Angel of Darkness in the first place?
    Stop beating yourself up.

Anyway yeah no all that personality test stuff is utter nonsense. The only real measure of your personality is what colours you associate with in Magic.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

*shrug* It's fun?
    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #650
    Titan in the Playground

So you have something to make grill marks, and something else for the food to rest on. Vs. One thing to both make grill marks and have food to rest on at the same time.

You're not really selling me on British grills.
    Well of course there's a second grill to create the grill marks on the bottom of the food. We're not idiots

Stop beating yourself up.
    Look, I've got to raise my Unarmed skill some way, and this allows me to grind HP at the same time

In all seriousness, I know I should stop dwelling on it, but it really is a sore point for me. Especially because I've had multiple friends who have said 'I'd never have figured this stuff out without help' and 'it would be better if you worked this stuff out on your own'. It's got to the point where a friend has told me that my standards are too low and I had to point out that, in my experience, nobody likes me anyway so why would I try being picky?

Anyway yeah no all that personality test stuff is utter nonsense. The only real measure of your personality is what colours you associate with in Magic.
    I would like to say White/Blue, but it's probably closer to Green/White. I just don't have the sense required for strategically playing control spells as a core strategy.

It's like, I see it on dating sites, and I just want to know why it matters. It tells me nothing about you, it would be more worthwhile putting your favourite book (Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds) or the dish you most want to learn to cook (French Onion Soup) than four ranfom letters that don't mean anything now and won't mean anything after I bother to look up their meaning.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-08-29 at 03:56 PM.

Show

21. - Top - End - #651
    Troll in the Playground

Anyway yeah no all that personality test stuff is utter nonsense.
    Ah, I see that's -10 points in the "gullibility" section of this test...

22. - Top - End - #652
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Do it the old fashioned way, on a frying pan, or directly over the heat source. Just remember to flip the bread.
    That reminds me on of how to visualize the hot spots on your grill.
    You buy a loaf of cheap white bread, and cover the grill in them.
    Wait 30 seconds or so, and take them off in order and flip them over.
    The more burnt they are, the hotter the spot was.

23. - Top - End - #653

Well of course there's a second grill to create the grill marks on the bottom of the food. We're not idiots

Look, I've got to raise my Unarmed skill some way, and this allows me to grind HP at the same time

In all seriousness, I know I should stop dwelling on it, but it really is a sore point for me. Especially because I've had multiple friends who have said 'I'd never have figured this stuff out without help' and 'it would be better if you worked this stuff out on your own'. It's got to the point where a friend has told me that my standards are too low and I had to point out that, in my experience, nobody likes me anyway so why would I try being picky?

I would like to say White/Blue, but it's probably closer to Green/White. I just don't have the sense required for strategically playing control spells as a core strategy.

It's like, I see it on dating sites, and I just want to know why it matters. It tells me nothing about you, it would be more worthwhile putting your favourite book (Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds) or the dish you most want to learn to cook (French Onion Soup) than four ranfom letters that don't mean anything now and won't mean anything after I bother to look up their meaning.
    When I'm not at work I can provide a more complete answer.

Also consider Myerss-briggs test results on a dating profile the same way you would them only having pictures of them holding recently caught and dead fish. Like poison.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Also consider Myerss-briggs test results on a dating profile the same way you would them only having pictures of them holding recently caught and dead fish. Like poison.
    *Personally attacked* I see how it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

25. - Top - End - #655
    Barbarian in the Playground

First, I thought that grilling was the same as giving he 5th degree?

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-08-29 at 06:01 PM.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

26. - Top - End - #656

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    *Personally attacked* I see how it is.
    Look I'm not saying you can't have a picture of you posing with a fish, but if every dating profile picture is of someone holding a dead animal and nothing else, you have to assume their identity is that of a predator.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

I look forward to it.

Also consider Myerss-briggs test results on a dating profile the same way you would them only having pictures of them holding recently caught and dead fish. Like poisson.
    I cannot believe you missed that pun.

I'm assuming that's the 'holding fox while standing by horse' kind of poison, and not the 'tons of boobs focused pictures' poison, I'm still not clear why I should avoid the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    First, I thought that grilling was the same as giving he 5th degree?
    Isn't five degrees a bit low for any cooking, isn't it?

{Scrub the post, scrub the quote.}
    So what you're saying is that you would never do what we do all the time? I've licked the Queen's face! ETA: stamps, just to make certain that's clear.
    Last edited by truemane; 2019-08-30 at 07:11 AM.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ettin in the Playground

Look I'm not saying you can't have a picture of you posing with a fish, but if every dating profile picture is of someone holding a dead animal and nothing else, you have to assume their identity is that of a predator.
    I'm not sure that you do.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

29. - Top - End - #659

I cannot believe you missed that pun.

I'm assuming that's the 'holding fox while standing by horse' kind of poison, and not the 'tons of boobs focused pictures' poison, I'm still not clear why I should avoid the latter.
    Yeah. And the latter tend to be spambots in disguise, is the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    I'm not sure that you do.
    It's a jokey exaggeration based on the idea that people who put their entire identity into what is effectively killing an animal without any real real reason are probably not people you wanna date. Play chess, sniff paint, cook some non-fish based food. Just pick up some hobbies or something so your entire photoset isn't "I only look good while holding a dead animal" themed.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, it's just a behavior I see a lot of, and a lot of people tend to have the same responses to it.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. And the latter tend to be spambots in disguise, is the issue.
    I mean, I already worked that out, I was more referencing that some of the advice ice gotten is a little prejudiced ('don't swipe right if you see a ton of boobs in their photos, because it means they're into casual sex'/'dead fish in pictures is poisson, avoid it').

Show