New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: ACExtravaganza's Paper Chase IC

A couple minutes pass as you're jumping over gravestones and trying to navigate the moonlit graveyard. It is then when you see the figure emerge from the home, laden with books...

The moment it sees you (you're charging through a graveyard on a moonlit night, you're pretty easy to spot), it also dashes through the graveyard, clutching the books to its chest as it runs.
    ----

Note that I did tinker around with the photo a bit, so that way it's a bit darker. I know it doesn't look to great, but I hope it's still obvious what's going on. Give me a Spot Hidden roll please to see if it becomes more clear.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

shot in the dark, as I'm chasing after this person, I shout, Mister Kimball, stop!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

For a shot in the dark, that was a good one.
    ----

As you begin your call, the figure fleeing gives a momentary turn, but suddenly as it hears the full name, it stops for a brief moment. It then heads deeper into the cemetary, as if it's expecting to be followed. As it eventually ends up sitting on a tombstone and pulls out one of the books, seemingly waiting for you. As you approach it comes fully into view.

As you then fully approach, it sets down it's book and says simply: "Hello." It is at this moment that you are certain, this... creature, with its rubbery-skin, hoof-like feet, canine features, and terribly sharp claws, is Douglas Kimball.
    ----

Please give me a Sanity roll.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

figured that would be coming up

(1d100)[65]

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That is sadly a failure, which means that Felix has lost 3 sanity, and because you failed the roll, I take an involuntary action for you.
    ----

Felix lets out a sudden, ear-piercing scream as he sees the inhuman creature standing in front of him. This... creature is Douglas Kimball? The man who loved books? The uncle to someone whose house he's staying in, he had a family... how could it be...?

Eventually, Felix manages to calm himself down, while Douglas simply raises an eyebrow during Felix's screams and mental exchange with himself. He simply gives him a moment to gather himself and calm down, only to finish by plainly asking: "Are you done?"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm... sorry, I've just never seen... someone such as yourself before.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The thing that once was, or is Douglas Kimball, smiles a toothy smile, inside you see a row of horribly sharp teeth, and you cannot help but think of if a wolf's mouth was somehow transfused into a humans. The thought makes you nauseous. "Understandable, but have no fear. I am still me; although, speaking of which... who are you?"

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Sorry for the lack of introduction, I am Felix Autumn, Professor of archaeology and anthropology at Miskatonic University. You know your nephew was quite worried about you.
    Sent for help all the way back in Arkham because some of your prized books went missing.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The creature makes a rather surprised expression. "Why Thomas noticed that? I had hoped that he would not notice my 'intrusion' into my own dwelling." He then sets down his book and extends a rubbery claw. "But it is splendid to make your acquaintance Professor Autumn." He then thinks for a moment. "You know, I've read several books on the study of ancient cultures and relics. Those subjects of yours are indeed quite fascinating!"

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Well, I would certainly agree with you there. Felix takes a deep breath and becomes more somber. You should let your nephew know your alive and... alright?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The creature turns its head and stares at you. "What would you have me do? Stroll up to him and break his already fragile mind? You yourself shrieked, and it seems quite apparent that while you're not used to such things as myself, you certainly do appear to have some experience with things that are... peculiar, but nevertheless..."

He turns towards the house, appearing to have almost a slight twinge of longing. "He cannot know, nothing can change my mind on this."

He then turns back towards you, "You know, I've just been weary. I've been... alive for more than half a century, and the only time I felt like I was living when I was reading. The mundane world which my nephew so dutifully lives in, was not intended for me."

He looks deeper into the cemetary, towards one of the tombs. "All I wish is to be left to my lonesome. To be able to read whenever I like. All of the demands made upon me constrain me no longer." As he's talking about this subject you begin to notice that he's becoming happier. "I need not care for money, wearing the proper suits is not required for supper, not only that, but I do not have to deal with insolence. And most importantly..." He adds, "I may read whenever I wish."

He then stares at you deeply. "Have you not ever felt a desire to be free, Professor? A desire to stop being asked so many foolish questions by those who do not make an effort to understand? I have acted upon such things, and now nothing compares to how it was before."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Honestly, I don't think I have. I get great pleasure out of helping others, people like your nephew. He wanted nothing more than to learn what happened to you, to keep your study in the condition in which you left it. Even if you choose not to reveal yourself to him, which is your choice to make one way or the other, you should at least let him know you are alright. Perhaps leave a note after taking your books one night?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

He shakes his head, "I am afraid we may be more different than I feared."

He looks towards the tomb again, "I cannot visit this place anymore. This..." he holds up the books that he... "stole" from himself. "Was my final foray into my, no Thomas' home. It is not mine anymore. The others have said that we must move, too much commotion, too much fuss." Only to turn back towards you, "I am afraid I must now depart. There is much to see out there in the world below, and I think..." he chuckles as he begins to stand up and collect his books. "I believe that I shall author a novel; finally I feel that I have done something in this life worth writing about."

He then gets to his hooves "It was a pleasure speaking with you Professor Autumn, and although your devotion to humans, including my nephew is admirable. I'm afraid it is something that I was never able to muster." He slowly begins to walk off, before noting: "As much as you would like to, I beg of you, do not tell him that I am still alive. It is better if he thinks me dead and gone. If he is concerned about the books, simply say that there was a burglar who returned, but you scared him off, I doubt he'd notice the absence of these additional tomes." He shakes the books as evidence. "It is for the best, I assure you."

He then begins clopping off towards the tomb.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I reluctantly respect his wishes, and head toward the house. Prepaired to inform Thomas of a "burgler" I managed to scare off.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As you begin to head back you take one last glance towards Douglas, or at least, what was Douglas, if it is not him anymore. He clops over towards the tomb, laden down by his books, and then creeps inside the mausoleum. A few brief moments of silence pass until you hear a heavy THOOM, the sound of rock falling on rock, from within. Neither Douglas, nor what he called "The Others" shall be returning anytime soon.

With an utterly confused mind, you mull over the events that just occurred as you walk towards the Kimball residence. A man, an absolutely normal man, has become a... creature, that lives below the surface of the earth and looks like... that? This alone should be impossible, but the facts are plain to see, and a conclusion must be made. There are other creatures on this earth... you are not alone.
    ----

With the truth of the situation, albeit, the unpleasant truth, Felix loses an additional 2 sanity points (so he should be down to 55 now). However, this truth also gives you more insight to the world at large, granting you 3 points in the Cthulhu Mythos skill (this also decreases your feasible maximum sanity down to 96).
    ----

You arrive at the home, weary from the tumultuous experience your mind has just undergone... will you ever be the same again?

Arnoldsberg, 8:29 AM, October 3rd, 1921

You've awoken from your deep slumber, the words of Douglas, or whatever it was, playing in your head like a radio jingle. As you stumble into the dining room, you see Mary and Thomas look up with your arrival. Mary looks at your rather bedraggled condition and notes, "I see someone didn't sleep well last night." Meanwhile, Thomas looks at you.

His eyes implore you, with every ounce of his being, hoping that you've uncovered something, something that will put his mind at rest, to give him hope that his life is not as crazy as he thinks. Of course, will the truth give him that solace? Your reverie is abruptly halted as Thomas asks, simply, and quite plainly: "Well, did you find anything?"

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Last night, around 10 o'clock I saw a burglar at the window to your house. I shouted at him and he ran. I doubt he'll be bothering you again, though perhaps getting a dog may help with that? If nothing else, animals tend to have a positive psychological effect on people, a dog might be good for Thomas.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thomas breathes a sigh of relief, albeit, it seems to be full of grief as well. However, clearly a lot of the stress and tension from his fear of the home intrusion has also departed. "Ah, so this has nothing to do with my uncle then... I thought... maybe." His wife holds his shoulders. "I'm sorry to have involved you in all of this. But, it seems like you've solved everything!" He then fishes something out of his pocket. "Here, you've earned it." He hands you a mixed amount of bills equaling up to around $10.

Mary then looks at you as well. "You've brought my husband and I some much-needed solace. Thank you so much. If there's anything else we can do for you, just let us know." She then realizes something, "My, the coach to Arkham I believe leaves at nine! Here, this should be enough to cover the return trip. Safe travels!" She hands you a dollar give or take, enough for the coach ride.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Thank-you, both of you, and I wish you both the best. With that, Felix leaves and heads for the coach to Arkham.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You depart from the Kimball house, boarding the motorcoach as you do. It's a bit of a drive back to Arkham, but nevertheless that gives you time to collect some of your thoughts. You faced a harrowing encounter yesterday, chilling you to your core, and yet, Douglas spoke of leaving humanity forever, and you cannot help but feel some solace in this simple truth. This is one monstrous being, at any rate, who is not planning on returning. Thus, Thomas Kimball can sleep soundly again, without fear of further burglaries.
    ----

This calm means that you may roll 1d6 and add it to your current sanity.
    ----

Time passes. The motorcoach drives over hills and bridges as you look out and see the wonderful landscape of New Hampshire. However, amongst the natural beuaty of the world, you cannot help but wonder... what else is out there?

----

Congratulations! You have survived this adventure as well. You may keep your investigator sheet and use it in the next Call of Cthulhu scenario. If I have noted that you have succeeded in any skills, you will have a chance to improve them through experience. You also may have the opportunity to do additional things that we shall discuss in the Out-of-Character.
    The End.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

(1d6)[6] - sanity

(1d100)[40] - charm

(1d100)[6] - library use

(1d100)[90] - persuade

(1d100)[46] - psychology

(1d100)[15] - spot hidden

21. - Top - End - #141