New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Upon A Troubled Brow {IC}

Rochdale. Both the name of the region and of its largest population center, a small township, not more than two thousand people. The mood in the town is odd, as the townsfolk are not sure how to react to learning that their former ruler, the brutal warlord Rassler Blackwood, is dead at the hands of the four people standing on the raised dais before an assembled crowd.

And not only is there an odd mood in the town, but there is a very real, palpable feeling of fear in the crowd, as some of these folk are farmers who are calling out asking who will be protecting their farms and villages now.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Upon A Troubled Brow {IC}

Agil Námo
    Half-Elf Inquisitor Ranger
    AC: 19 HP: 76/76
    PP: 21 PIv: 13 PIs: 18/23
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

Agil stands on the raised dais with three others, casting their eyes across the gathered crowd. An ambiguous, noncomittal smile creases their cheeks but fails to reach their eyes. All in all, they feel quite satisfied with the outcome thus far. Chaos and anarchy had reigned under the previous 'rulers' of the land, and now Agil was poised to lend their expertise in seeing such horrors were not repeated. The crowd, in Agil's eyes, appeared...unworthy, at least in their current form. A nascent nation that had simply accepted the rule of an iron fist, forgiving the atrocities through apathy or fear. Had they risen up en masse, Agil's intervention might not have been required. But they hadn't, and so it was left to the softspoken Inquisitor and their...companions. With time, effort, and an appropriate reward structure, Agil wholeheartedly believes that they can turn the country around and have hearts of steel beat in the chest of every citizen young and old, that they need never fear such conflict again. Already the discerning eyes had begun picking out those who might be an asset - and a liability. A halfling woman had climbed atop a stall nearby, her beglassed eyes meeting Agil's own, if only for a moment. Off to in another direction, a man of orcish descent surprisingly at ease, compared to the rest of the crowd. A sickle hangs from his belt, but even at this distance Agil could tell it was not one for farming crops. Finally Agil's eyes are drawn to a pair of humans - siblings, if Agil's assessment is correct - whose gaze was set on Deheune, their expressions unreadable even to the eyes of one as experienced as Agil. Such a skill might certainly be helpful, and they would require all the help they could get.

Documentation would have to be drawn up, as records were likely sparse, if they even existed at all. A nation could not run if they were not aware of whom lived within it. Taxes. Infrastructure. Trade and diplomatic agreements with foreign nations both near and far. All these and more began to flood into Agil's mind. They had expected this, of course. Toppling a nation was simple, it could be done in a week, a day, a single moment with the right tipping point. Rebuilding one however...that was the true test. One they expected to meet adequately.

One hand gently rests on their cane, the wood still bearing a few splatters of blood not yet cleaned from their "engagements" with the previous leadership. A little uncouth to appear so, but it might serve as an adequate message to those perhaps still loyal to the old regime, if any existed. The hastily constructed wooden platform beneath them creaks ever so slightly as they shift their weight from one foot to the other. "Well then," Agil's voice croons out in a gentle manner, though with enough of a sharp edge to cut through the din of the gathered crowd at their base. They do not look at the others on the platform with them, instead maintaining a careful watch on the crowd. "They likely expect a speech. Who would care to start?" Already the quiet half-elf had pushed another to the forefront instead of themselves. They had no problems with speaking in front of crowds large and small, and had done so on a number of prior occasions, but in this time, in this place, Agil's words were not the first the crowd of onlookers needed to hear, and it wold serve as a good opportunity to appraise the others at the same time. If objections were received and, in turn, Agil was pushed to make or start the speech then so be it. That would be enlightening in its own way.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2022-05-09 at 07:17 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Deheune Sarkeryn

Deheune itches to step away from so many questioning, angry eyes, but the die is cast and finally she is free to act as she wills rather than as she is willed. It’s not so simple, though. How does one step from a lifelong shadow? The light is blinding.

But then there’s little light here.

The half-elf’s eyes were calmly scrutinizing the surroundings, the crowd, all of them. Was a game at play, watching the rest for weaknesses? See who steps forward first and stab them in the back?

Probably. But somebody had to be first and by rights it was her responsibility. She says over the din, “I am Captain Deheune Sarkeryn, and your fears and concerns are justified. I share them. I’ve ridden the borders for many years, and it’s my duty to continue protecting you even... even if all we have now is questions. The Warlord is gone, but you aren’t alone.” Her heritage is not exactly a secret, but every pronouncement and grand gesture her father ever made was in his own name, giving credit to no one else. Some know exactly who she is, but announcing it outright now would only stir a spilt pot.

“Uphold your tasks and responsibilities. Life goes on. But our enemies may come looking to finish us, so be mindful of strangers while we organize our defenses and recourses.”

She realized belatedly the last may do more harm than good, but her life had been spent defending this place and making war on their enemies; her other priorities could wait a day at a time so long as saboteurs and armies didn’t destroy them first. She also realizes the others may have something to say, but aside from Corine she didn't know them, and the alchemist she hardly trusted.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Corine

Corine's large blue eyes surveyed the crowd. The redhaired alchemist was not a woman who normally found herself tongue-tied but faced with the common folk she found herself struggling for words. Even as the group had mounted the dais Corine had found herself torn between whether her current 'normal' attire was the best to reassure the crowd or whether something elegant and regal might have gone down better. As she listed to first Agil and then Deheune she petted her clockwork cat-sized 'dragon' Dreena which as usual was perched on her shoulder. The mechanical homunculus made a purring sound (she was proud of that.)

As Deheune finished Corine felt her jaw drop when the soldier mentioned strangers - as if Corine had lived here her entire life instead of a year and change. With an effort the alchemist decided to ignore that and slipped a step forward to address the crowd herself.

"People of Rochdale! I know you are anxious of the future but do not fear change! All of us standing here knew the harsh and terrible law of the tyrant, all of us know a friend or a father or a brother or a son who is not standing here today because they displeased the tyrant. He is gone now and yes that is a moment to pause and wonder but it is a moment to know that we are free. Free to travel into a bright new dawn with every promise."

She spread her arms, provoking an indignant brass squawk from her tiny dragon. "Most of you know me, some in person most by reputation. I mix potions and elixirs and I study alchemy. The secrets of the world are mine to discover and there is no problem that knowledge cannot defeat. All that knowledge I bring to you now to defend you from your enemies - and to help you in other ways!"

Corine smiled, feeling a bit better, a flicker more optimistic. As she'd gotten into her voice she'd spotted some faces in the crowd that belonged to some of her best customers. Not all of them would have wanted to advertise the fact they'd both an elixir to fight against baldness but they'd remember!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Alianora placed a gentle hand on Deheune's shoulder and offered her a soft smile. The girl was unsure of herself... which was good for Alianora, but not optimal for leadership.

"Steady, Commander," said the witch, "the people need strength now." With that, she swept past the three revolutionaries and looked down at the gathered citizenry.

"You know me," she began, "and you know that my coven was always just in its interactions with the people - until our choice was taken from us. I can only offer my deepest apologies for what we were forced to do under threat of death. I stand at the side of these three heroes and offer you are promise: Now that my sisters and I are no longer slaves, our power and wisdom will once again be directed to the betterment of this land and the guidance of you, its people. We will see Rochdale as a land of freedom abundance, or we will die trying."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Agil Námo

Agil's smile maintains itself while the others speak, though Deheune's mention of 'strangers' might undermine them slightly. Agil certainly was not local, and there's little doubt those of Rochdale would recognise as such. An interloper, a foreign agent even if acting alone of their own volition. Yet, a beningn one, strange as that might seem. They step forward, to add to the voices. "This is a time of great uncertainty, and great opportunity. Helm teaches us that it is through trials that our lives are forged. As I look out upon this sea of faces today I see people who wish for peace, for a normal life, for safety and security and bellies that never go empty. That too is what I wish for. "

"Too many times have I seen those wishes torn down by greed, by a lust for power and control. I would like to promise you that we will stop that, and you will never suffer at such hands again. That is a promise I...and we," Agil gestures to the others on the platform with their free hand. "cannot make to you. Not alone. But together - myself, my comrades, and all of you;" their arm sweeps to encompass the entire audience before closing into a raised fist. Agil's soft voice grows louder, projecting itself through the square. "Together we can make that future. A future where children will never go hungry. A future where the rulers serve the people, not the other way around. A future where all can walk the streets at night in safety. That future will require us all to be vigilant, to be truthful, and to overcome these trials, that we might forge Rochdale anew."

They lower their fist, instead opening it in a welcoming gesture to the crowd. "I am Agil Námo, Inquisitor of Helm. Those of you who would see justice done and order restored, seek me out, for it is only with your help can we make the future of Rochdale into reality."

How much of the speech was earnestly Agil's own words and how much had been taken from previous speeches they'd heard was a blurred line indeed. They found appeals to populism somewhat trite, in truth, believing that governance by the many was in fact a path that would likely lead to chaos and political gridlock, but in the early days of reforging the government such an appeal was necessary to buoy up support of the people, and to attract those who - like Agil - would work for the greater good. Certainly their talk of an ordered society in which everyone was safe and secure was no lie. A utopian ideal, one that was worth striving for.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The crowd is eventually placated by your words and promises. They are finally sent off so that they can take care of their business for the day.

It appears that, for now, at least, you are in charge of what is happening around here.

The problem is that Rassler didn't exactly leave things in great shape and you appear to have to start building everything from the ground up.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Agil Námo

A trouble sigh escapes Agil's lips, with just the mildest hint of relief. In truth they were somewhat conflicted. The lack of any serious pushback or objection to what were essentially three usupers and a foreigner might seem initially a positive thing, but it spoke to more problems with the backbones of those who had lived under the oppressive Rassler. A nation of footstools would not make a nation at all, and it meant that they would be easily susceptible to outside influence, corruption, and - should Agil or the others prove insufficient - merely repeat history with a new tyrant take their place. Education would be required, both for the young and old.

"I have my own thoughts on where to start." Agil's expertise, of course, lay in matters of security and espionage. While no means a fool they were no expert on matters of the arcane, economy, or international diplomacy, nor could they foster a thriving culture of art and song. "But perhaps we should retire to the ruler's demesne first and discuss our preparations further there?" Though it required some patchwork repairs, Rassler's previous holding was still intact and it would serve - for now - as an adequate base of operations. Tearing it down to the foundations and rebuilding from scratch was a luxury they could ill-afford for now, especially with no solid plan in place for raising funds. Taxes would need to be levied, of course, but they had none besides the four of them to actually enforce such taxation.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Deheune Sarkeryn

As the others know, the keep isn't in the best condition. This is partially their own fault; revolutions are messy. Deheune doesn't attempt to conceal her frustration, however, as they walk the halls to a meeting chamber featuring a long table surrounded by chairs...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Corine

As the small group turned for the keep Corine spoke up.

"Before we do anything we should actually decide how we are going to govern and what to call ourselves," she said. "Captain Deheune already has a rank but we do need to show the people - and the neighbours - we intend to be a proper government."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Agil Námo

"Inquisitor suits me well enough for now." Agil had never particularly sought out titles or lofty positions, but they do recognise the importance of them and the power they hold. "'Watcher' may also serve, if Inquisitor is too...oppressive." The slight smile may look jovial, but they're quite serious. The open hand and the closed fist are both important to maintaining a nation, and Agil recognises as such. "Perhaps...High Alchemist? Chief Arcanist?" Suitably lofty titles for Corine and Alianora respectively. Perhaps too lofty, for the moment? Or perhaps loftiness in itself was admirable.

Once inside the keep, still stained with blood - though at least not bodies - of those cut down Agil strides through the halls with the quiet confidence of someone who has never doubted themselves in their life. A well practiced act. The main hall is still in a state of disrepair, but it at least has one functional table with which Agil lays out a map of Rochdale, and its neighbours. It lacks in detail, barely having anything but lines for the borders and small scribbles for the notable settlements. The edges were weighed down with some of the scattered stones that once made up a wall or pillar or somesuch. Their gleaming blue eyes scanned the map, mind working, but they were never one to volunteer a sincere opinion first unless forced to. "Captain, no doubt you are in the best position to advise us of Rochdale's greater situation and problems we face. If you would?" They gesture genially to the map, but otherwise take a half step back.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Deheune Sarkeryn

The elf’s cold eyes and self-assurance are unnerving. Considering the bloody mess they’d just left of her home and the countless looming threats and unknowns they face, Deheune is understandably, she thinks, shaken. Father and his council had passed proclamations and judgements with such iron-fisted certainty, and it had only served to stoke the ember of resentment in the hearts of their own people. What next, indeed? There were no trained soldiers to heed her commands any longer; only frightened and vengeful peasants who, if not directed properly, may resume their bloodbath. Though that gives me an idea. She shakes her head. It would have to wait.

Deheune stares regretfully at the ruin and filth-strewn table before taking a deep breath and focusing her thoughts on the purely necessary.

“I-my responsibilities included military operations as needed as the oversight and maintenance of the keep. I kept us stocked with arrows, the horses fed, the larders full, and the soldiers and staff paid. But the steward, lead cook, chief groom, and armorer did the daily work. I performed many of the negotiations, but they ran the daily affairs and know the workers and suppliers more... intimately than I do.

“Rochdale is largely self-sufficient, but we were supplementing our income with raids and forfeitures. With the army busy elsewhere, we’ll have a little time to save, but General Arrak won’t take the news of my father’s fall well. Or he’ll take it too well and decide to take the throne himself. I’ll... I have some thoughts on that, but it’s not today’s problem.

“I suggest we maintain normal purchases and spending to keep a semblance of regularity. I’ll have to speak with the staff about a, um, loyal transfer of power. And the same with the armed rebels. They must trust we won’t begin some pogrom, but we also have to vet them for foreign interests and that they won’t immediately turn on us. We need stability, but they need reassurance. It’s very delicate...

“Which brings me to my next point,” she says a bit loudly and indelicately. “While I know what happened here was maybe inevitable, and your helping these people is appreciated, most of us don’t know each other, and I don’t know what you want out of taking this responsibility. Or those titles Agil just suggested, or something like them.”

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Insight into Agil’s disposition
    (1d20+2)[14]
    Last edited by Gorgon_Heap; 2022-05-15 at 09:08 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Agil Námo

An unsurprising question, all things considered. It certainly doesn't shake Agil. "I can only speak for myself, of course." They answer smoothly. "Rassler and his compatriots were chaotic influences and their continued rulership would have lead to a cycle of destruction. Perhaps it seems a surprise, given my foreign nature, but I came here to put a stop to that cycle permanently and institute order. People can only flourish in stability, it doesn't matter where they're from." A simple answer, and a truthful one. Nations weren't important to Agil, borders little more than lines on a map. If Rochdale were to be subsumed by another nation, it wouldn't particularly matter. Same for their homeland. So long as it was ordered, peaceful and allowed people to thrive happily, it didn't matter who was in charge or what name was there.

"You can rest assured I have no desire to name myself king or become a new lord. My ambition is solely to see order and peace restored to the land." That would suffice, for now, and they look to Corine and Alianora. It seemed unlikely a small town alchemist would seek a throne, but Alianora was a less certain entity. Arcanists often became power hungry over time. Some satiated that solely with magical energy, which made them useful additions. Some believed it gave them a pseudo-divine right, and that was more dangerous in the long term. "And yourselves?"

Spoiler: Insight
    Show

Agil isn't putting any effort into hiding anything, nor are they lying.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC