New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: BETA IC - THE "Tone" of Madness - Part 1 - Berserk Beasts

"humm, I think these warriors were in the boat with us... Anyway, even if we sneak past them now, we're bound to meet them again sooner or later. I say we go in and say hi. We can show that we mean no harm by approaching now that they are at their most vulnerablee, and even if they decide they want a fight, we'll have the advantage." says Ur-Assim to his companions, waiting for an answer.

2. - Top - End - #32

NecromancerGirl

Gheară grunts and nods. "I'm not in favor of sneaking around, either," she says, despite being fully capable of doing so. "I don't think they'll pick a fight, but if they do, we can handle them."
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The soldiers conversation went quiet one by one as each spotted the approaching group, those who'd been sitting or leaning were on their feet quick as a blink. Their weapons were held at their sides, as close to neutral as one could be whilst standing amid a clearing strewn with corpses.

One man, shorter than his companions, though making up for it with his barrel chest shouldered a great axe, his eyes roaming the approaching strangers with that of a dog chained to a house.

Well lads, when I said we'd have more animals to kill I didn't think we'd have to do it so soon. He looked irritated and tired, the approach doesn't make him angry nor does he have a look of hate in his eyes. Look fleabags, I don't know or care if these were your friends, he gestures palm up to the bear corpses around them, then returns his gaze. His eyes alight on Ur-Assim, Guess fleas aren't much of a problem for you scale face, Look you four need to turn around and go back the way you came.

All but one of the other men were nodding their heads, murmurs of agreement flitting between them like a hummingbird in summer. They were likely to get worked into a fight if someone would just oblige.
    The man who hadn't moved raised his voice, though he still didn't even glance their way. There's five Nurg.

What's that? Five you say, Aelic, you daft fool, there's only 4 freaks here.

A big ole bear who'd make a better rug than any of these here,
    He again gestures to the dead bears, then continues his evaluation, a walking set of new boots, a tabby cat with a pot sticker, and if i had to guess a lycan of some kind, given the company she keeps, although.... his eyes roved up and down Gheara's frame.

How bout this.....,
    his speak directed at Gheara directly, your ....associates go sod off and back to the boat, you and I go off for a bit a privacy while we wait for my captain, and I give you a different reason to howl.

****..... the second speaker finally directed his attention towards the group. Please don't try to kill him for that, I realize his manners are about as polished as rusty mace but he's only an imbecile not a threat.
    Last edited by MCollarsen; 2022-02-24 at 05:55 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Mirrasha's ears flicked in irritation at the lout's crude comments. Obviously, someone who couldn't look at his own body without a sense of self-loathing. And, if Gheară wanted to gut him for it, Mirrasha certainly wouldn't stop her.

But no, what caught the catfolk's immediate attention was the other one; the one who said there were five as opposed to four -- without looking up. Either he counted Gheară's wolf companion or, somehow, he could sense Mirrasha in spite of her magicks and skills.

He's one to watch out forrrr... Besides, he was the only one not eager for more blood.

Still invisible, Mirrasha called upon her Sight. There was a bear still alive. If the bear was influenced by the Tone, perhaps there was magic involved that was still active upon it...

...and, if she just happened to see if these hunters had any magic either held or wielded, that was just a bonus....

Spoiler: Action
    Show

Activating Detect Magic. Mirrasha's priority is the wounded bear first, then the guy who spoke in red, then the rest of the idiotshunters.

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show

Mirrasha Untouchable
    F CN Catfolk Scout13//Warlock8/Binder1/HellfireWarlock3, Level 13, Init 11, HP 98/98, DR 2/cold iron, Speed 70
    AC 26, Touch 17, Flat-footed 19, Fort 14, Ref 21, Will 14, Base Attack Bonus 9/4
    +1 bonus on attack & dmg rolls at ranges of up to 30 ft Eldritch Blast +17/+12 (7d6+1, 19-20/x2)
    +1 bonus on attack & dmg rolls at ranges of up to 30 ft Hellfire Blast +17/+12 (13d6+1, 19-20/x2)
    +1 Light Mace Warlock's Scepter 9/4 (1d6, x2)
    Bracers of Armor (+8 Armor, +7 Dex, +1 Natural)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 24, Con 15, Int 15, Wis 14, Cha 13
    Condition
    Low-Light Vision
    Fire Resistance 10
    Damage Reduction 2/Cold Iron
    All Seeing Eyes: +6 to Search & Spot, Comprehend Languages (written) -- 24hrs
    See the Unseen: Darkvision & See Invisibility 60ft -- 24hrs
    Fell Flight: 70ft Fly w/good maneuverability -- 24 hrs
    Walk Unseen: Invisibility -- 24hrs
    Blindsense 30ft
    Faster Ability Healing: You heal 1 point in each damaged ability score every round, and 1 point in all drained ability scores every hour.
    Darkstalker: When you hide, creatures with blindsense, blindsight, scent, or tremorsense must make a Listen check or a Spot check (whichever DC is higher) to notice you, just as sighted creatures would make Spot checks to detect you. You cannot hide in plain sight unless you have that ability as a class feature. In addition, you can flank creatures that have the all-around vision special quality.

5. - Top - End - #35

ClericGuy

"you can't polish something that doesn't exist" clearly annoyed, Ur-Asim responds to the one who seems to be the wisest man in the group. Turning to the loud mouth, he continues "I always tought that actions carried more meaning than words, but I realize now that won't matter when people simply refuse to see what is right there in front of their eyes." Ur-Asim inclines his body a little bit forward "We CHOSE to anounce ourselves human, with no ill intent. We COULD have attacked you, now that you have barely caught your breath. Yet, YOU are the one baring your teeth; YOU are the one goading a fight when we just want to pass; are WE the animals here?"

Ur-Asim then turns back to the wise human "We don't want to kill anyone, but none of us are going back. We came to talk to the oracle and we're not leaving until we do so. This is our offer, you let us pass and we won't be a problem for each other. Also," Ur-Asim points to the loud mouth "I'll rip off his tongue if talks like that to any gift bearer again. Ever."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Ashrael shakes his head. "Ghee, just say the word, and I'll make sure this one can't offend another with his filthy tongue again," the lycanthrope growls to her in a low voice. He sends the one called Nurg a glare, then gives a nod to the other speaker and steps forward. "Aelic, is it? Your friend is lucky you're here, or he'd probably get his head torn off his shoulders. Out of respect for your manners, I won't kill this fool, but he should watch the way he speaks."

7. - Top - End - #37

NecromancerGirl

Gheară raises an eyebrow, more surprised than offended - at least for a few seconds. She's not used to men making come-ons, after all, not to her at least. "I'll give him points for trying, but I'd still sooner eat my wolf's s***." She's not much more refined than the man himself. "And I don't know what business you have in blocking us, but you don't look like you're in any shape to stop us."
    Last edited by Dusk Raven; 2022-02-26 at 09:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Aelic moved forward, passing between two men and into a center position between the two groups. His armor was a set of bronze gilded full-plate, though the helm was lacquered a bright crimson. He held a longsword in his left hand and a kite shield with his right. He kept the point of the point of the blade directed towards the ground in a show reduced hostility, he appeared to be snapping his fingers with an increasing frequency and muttering under his breath. As he finishes moving up his feet and body form/enter a forward leaning, almost braced stance.

Themet-ku, tiam-te-mu ....no no thats not right........Tem-Et-Nu! That's the one.... Giver of Life and Lady of Commerce...... he was looking curiously at Ur-Asim you're a long way from the desert rivers.

He looks to Gheara chuckling, Having spent the last 10 days in close confines with him I doubt he'd taste much different. You do have my apologies for the slight against you.

He turned back to Nerg, Look - In the last thirty seconds you've had two independent offers to remove your tongue, and seeing how you've insulted these..... folks. His eyes darted between each member then towards the space where Mirrasha floated, taking stock of each before scanning the empty air fruitlessly. I suggest you refrain from speaking poorly to any of them again, because if you get us into a fight, IF they don't KILL us, not only will I not interfere with them following up with their threat, I'll hold you down WHILE they do.

He returns his attention to the group as a whole though his gaze shifts exclusively between Ash and Ur, in his mind the most imminent threats. I agree that turning back isn't an option for you, and that you could've ambushed us and didn't. However, the reason we were ambushed is because we ignored the sign..... we aren't supposed to bring weapons down this trail, apparently this oracle is particular about that rule. We only figured it out when that bear, he gestures to the bear anchored to a tree with lengths of rope, spoke to us like it was in a trance.

Now I'm no mage or druid, but talking bears isn't normal & it kept trying to kill us till we dropped our weapons, by the time we figured that out.... well..... he gestures around, we tied up that one, then others in our group proceeded on without their weapons.
    He points to a pile of gear under a nearby tree, there sits a collection of swords, daggers, a few spears, several pairs of gauntlets and a couple of crossbows.

My instructions from Mahir, you know, the turban mage, were to obey the captain of this squad and provide the best support I can offer. The captain's orders were to set up a post, and wait here for them to return.

I can't in good conscious let you proceed after them, especially when they don't have most of their gear, however, I will have no objection to you waiting on that side of the clearing until they return, then proceeding down on your way.

He pauses then glancing at spot next to Mirrasha, If your fifth friends wants to proceed I doubt I'll be able to stop her, though I would suggest she doesn't proceed with a weapon though.

What do you say?
    Last edited by MCollarsen; 2022-02-28 at 01:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"...imprrrressive..." Mirrasha bowed her head respectfully to the token human who spoke sense, though she made no move to dismiss her Invisibility. Mage or druid, he might not be, but he was still able to perceive her. "Fearrrr not, I have no desirrrre to move without the rest of the otherrrrs --especially unarrrrmed."

A pause.

"The bearrrrs were not afflicted by the Tone then? How much time arrrre you giving yourrrr fellows to make sure they've gotten to this Orrrracle safely?" Much to the catfolk's consternation, this particular human was maddeningly unreadable. Mirrasha looked over to the others in her group. "Do we wish to wait orrrr take ourrrr chances with one of the other Orrrracles in the meantime?"

Spoiler: "Statblock
    Show

Mirrasha Untouchable
    F CN Catfolk Scout13//Warlock8/Binder1/HellfireWarlock3, Level 13, Init 11, HP 98/98, DR 2/cold iron, Speed 75
    AC 27, Touch 17, Flat-footed 19, Fort 14, Ref 21, Will 14, Base Attack Bonus 9/4
    +1 bonus on attack & dmg rolls at ranges of up to 30 ft Eldritch Blast +18/+13 (7d6+1, 19-20/x2)
    +1 bonus on attack & dmg rolls at ranges of up to 30 ft Hellfire Blast +18/+13 (13d6+1, 19-20/x2)
    +1 Light Mace Warlock's Scepter 10/5 (1d6, x2)
    Condition
    Low-Light Vision
    Fire Resistance 10
    Fell Flight: 75ft Fly w/good maneuverability -- 24 hrs
    Blindsense 30ft
    Faster Ability Healing: You heal 1 point in each damaged ability score every round, and 1 point in all drained ability scores every hour.
    Darkstalker: When you hide, creatures with blindsense, blindsight, scent, or tremorsense must make a Listen check or a Spot check (whichever DC is higher) to notice you, just as sighted creatures would make Spot checks to detect you. You cannot hide in plain sight unless you have that ability as a class feature. In addition, you can flank creatures that have the all-around vision special quality.
    Elation: +2 morale bonus to Str & Dex, +5 to speed

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Aelic turned to the air where Mirrasha floated - They didn't seem to be afflicted, at least not to the degree or manner that I've seen before. We tied that one up as a precaution more than subduing it. As for how long we'll wait.... I'd guess 2-3 hrs at most. I figure this spot on the path is close to the halfway point, so it should only take them a quarter turn or so to finish their journey, they left 10 minutes ago.

I estimate that they should be back within an hour, I'd given them 2 for being slow, and a third given that oracles might be vague. Beyond that they should either send word of delay or something is likely to have happened to them.

We split into 4 groups to cover the island, that should allow us to cover it within 2 days, with a third for delays, after that the ship is due to sail away, beyond then, the sea is supposed to raise and make access impossible for another year.

11. - Top - End - #41

ClericGuy

"asking us to wait 3 hours is not a reasonable request..." Ur-Asim hisses then pauses and slightly lowers his head "If you are mighty and powerful, then gain respect through knowledge and through your gentleness of speech. You recognized the lifegiver in me before, and now I see her teachings in you. Very well then, we will try another path instead of loitering here for hours."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The second path was well lit, giving the group ample light as they traversed the mossy ground. The moss itself was a thick close woven fuzz, it wasn't slimy or overly moist, but the air grew heavier with the weight of water as they trekked along the path. After a quarter turn of traversing the group begins to hear a rhythmic "whoom" "whoom", then a brief pause, then "whoom" "whoom" again.

Another 5 minutes or so brings the group to a large stepwell The stairs of which are rapidly extending, retracting & shifting, after moving for a round, they pause for close to 20 seconds, before resuming their seemingly chaotic movement.

A podium sits near the top of the stepwell, on it sit 3 metallic disks each with a set of rotating mechanical arms. Each disk is clamped in place by a set of metallic latches. Under the latched disks sits a band of metal, 1 inch tall and several in length. The podium also contained a flask of greenish ink, and a quill. Upon investigation you discover that the greenish ink is a light acid, that will allow etching to be added to the 3 bands of metal.

You recall the 3 riddles posed by the sign at the front of the path.

1) What mistakes & choices do all make that end with sobs or rejoices?

2) What events prosper as death becomes a merchant lord?

3) What compels it Pride, Greed or Sword?

Spoiler: Answer 1 : Bardic Knowledge 26, or wisdom check 20
    Show
    Decisions

Spoiler: Answer 2 : Knowledge History or Nobility 24 or wisdom check 19
    Show
    War

Spoiler: Answer 3: Bardic Knowledge 22, Knowledge History 22, Wisdom Check 17
    Show
    All three

13. - Top - End - #43

ClericGuy

"Again with the riddles, they are more tortuous than the great Basiri itself! Well, I can't quite grasp all the answers, but of one thing I'm certain, pride, greed and the sword are all very captivating and persuasive motivations in this life, so the answer is most likely all three of them"
    Last edited by Arael666; 2022-03-16 at 10:01 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

After a period of collaboration (20 min) the group scrawled three answers onto the metals stripes. The above devices were released from their mechanical holds and upon brief inspection were able to guide the group down the shifting blocks of the stepwell.
    o
    Once at the bottom, a large doorway stands open, beyond it you can see a figure in a garden full of plants and raised gardens. They appear to e toiling away, however after a few moments, they look over at you and gesture friendlily to join them.

The figure is an aged female half elf, she greets you warmly as you enter the garden, offering a seat upon a cushion spread about a grassy pad. Well now dearies, what can I do for you?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

As tempting as it was to stay invisible, Mirrasha turned her invocation off. She still stayed in the air though, keeping her senses alert when the half-elf addressed them.

"We arrrre seeking an audience with the Orrrracle of this path, madam..." Nodding politely, the catfolk made sure to issue her words as a statement as opposed to just asking the old woman if she was the Oracle -- just in case it counted against their allotment of questions. Some sages and diviners were bastards like that.

Spoiler: Action
    Show

Turning on her Detect Magic

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show

Mirrasha Untouchable
    F CN Catfolk Scout13//Warlock8/Binder1/HellfireWarlock3, Level 13, Init 11, HP 98/98, DR 2/cold iron, Speed 70
    AC 26, Touch 17, Flat-footed 19, Fort 14, Ref 21, Will 14, Base Attack Bonus 9/4
    +1 bonus on attack & dmg rolls at ranges of up to 30 ft Eldritch Blast +17/+12 (7d6+1, 19-20/x2)
    +1 bonus on attack & dmg rolls at ranges of up to 30 ft Hellfire Blast +17/+12 (13d6+1, 19-20/x2)
    +1 Light Mace Warlock's Scepter 9/4 (1d6, x2)
    Condition
    Low-Light Vision
    Fire Resistance 10
    Fell Flight: 70ft Fly w/good maneuverability -- 24 hrs
    Blindsense 30ft
    Last edited by Cygnia; 2022-03-30 at 10:27 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The woman smiled at Mirrasha's speech, "You lot exhibit a lot more forethought than others I've dealt with lately." She picked up a watering can and proceed to begin watering the various planters.

"If you lot will take a seat," (she gestures to the grassy patch with cushions) "I'll give you the rundown of how I operate. My gifts allow me to look into the past, I can't do anything more recent than a decade or so, I'm a student of history and the past, & while I don't share my knowledge freely, the fact that you're here, (she gestures around to the surroundings) means your at least willing to learn and put forth effort to get knowledge.

As she continues to water it becomes slightly evident that the pitcher is magical in nature as it is dispensing a significantly disproportionate amount of water to its size.

I'm not here to trick you into giving up your questions or twist your words, most of my colleagues maybe, but not me. Feel free to ask any questions I'll answer them freely if I know the answer out of hand.

"I can delve into the past 6 times a day, each attempt takes about 5 minutes and allows me to conceive of about 5 months of the past for a particular area or person, but I have to know what I'm looking for or have a reference point. "

She finishes watering the plants, and carries the water pitcher to a table, fills several wooden cups with clear water, and distributes them

"If I cannot help you with my delving today I will search for you until I find a suitable answer, though it may take longer than you are willing to stay. If that ends up being the case I will search for a total of 12 times and send word to you about that which you wish to know."

She sits on a set of cushions and surveys the group with a look of mild interest and curiosity.

"Each question requiring delving will cost you 100 golden coins, which you may deposit in the urn there." She points to a clay urn about 2' tall with faded paints and a chipped rim, inside you can see that it is about 1/3 full of gold coins."

Shall we begin?
    Last edited by MCollarsen; 2022-03-31 at 09:35 AM. Reason: grammar

17. - Top - End - #47

ClericGuy

Ur-Asim chooses the largest cushion availabe and sits. "I'm not as cunning as my companions, but I'll try to be as precise as I can. There is something that is causing beasts and beast folk like ourselves to go mad and attack everything in their sight. We" he points to himself and his companions "somehow resisted the urge. All I can say for sure is that before the urge came I heard a sound, much like a high pitched whine. Some people said it first happened arround a year ago near Hordeck, but I don't know about that. I... we want to stop it. People are dying and getting murdered because of this and there is no indications it's going to stop anytime soon" he then grabs a handful of coins, half expecting the womand to tell him to pay
    Last edited by Arael666; 2022-04-07 at 01:10 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Mirrasha nodded in agreement with Ur-Asim, though the questions she was interested in were more towards the future rather than delving in the past. Still, if this Oracle would offer any insight to the source of the Tone, it would be appreciated. A static location could be reached -- and a person could be hunted down.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Hmm... I've heard rumors of mad & wild animals this last year, but you're the first to mention it directly.....though in true you're my first customers in about 3 years.

She sits intently upon her cushion her chin nestled into her open palm. After a minute of general silence, she lifts her head

...to my knowledge, historically, there have only 2 "outbreaks" of madness that weren't eventually traced back disease, overt magical incidents or some other well defined or notable cause.

Given that this malady has been going on for over a year with little progress towards at least identifying the means of exposure or tracking an origin means that it is likely dissimilar to past events.

I'll review each outbreak as a question then I'll take a brief review of Hordeck and areas in it's past with poor documentation or times of strife, I should be able to cover about 500 years if I'm looking at broad strokes and if I find something abnormal I'll investigate more deeply.

Of the two outbreaks, one was contained to an island in the tropics, the people there suddenly began killing and conducting opposite beliefs such as cannibalisms, and human sacrifices.
    The second is the when bouts of madness occurred/appeared at random throughout Y'lat'ae about 200 years ago, no one child, man, woman or beast was spared from the event, and it spread like wildfire in a pitch barn.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The oracle went & sat beneath a large fern, her legs were crossed with both elbows resting on her thighs.

After a few minutes of gentle, paced breathing she begins muttering in a flowing series of languages, some you recognize and others you don't. Each iteration and shift of a word intensifies the magic surrounding her until it ceases with a sudden loss of noise.

Every so often her body gives a shake or jerk, as though she is sleeping and experiencing muscle spasms. After half a turn, she shivered then opened her eyes. Moving stiffly she move from her sitting position and began walking around, taking intermittent sips of water as she did. After about 5 minutes she sat down next to a set of large potted plants, though this time on a small stool she leaned forward placing her brow in her hands then began speaking language after language before again falling into the silent nearly still trance.

After another half turn of occasional muscle spasms and eye jerks, she got up and paced around for a few moments, before finding a stone alcove and reclining and beginning the third set of divinations.

Eventually she awoke from these final investigations, she moved withdrew a large scroll and tablet allowing her to make comments & notations & began scribbling.

I believe only 1 of my delving's will prove fruitful to you, but I shall explain them all, so that you may judge for yourselves.

Spoiler: Island of Crazy Cannibals
    Show
    The island where beliefs suddenly changed & men consumed men, and sacrificed their flesh for the gods, is still a mystery to me.... the strange actions begin during a holy night and seemed to have overtaken the village with unusual strength & vigor. The actions I saw were of barbarity, fear, and general madness, yet I witnessed no one appearing to experience a trigger or any other external factor. The next day everyone was fine relatively, they were sane and had little understanding of the death and violence around them.

They continued their prayers for the aid of the divine for nigh on 6 months, with increasing frequency, each time they attempted to commune the or honor the gods they were rewarded with death and dismemberment.

Eventually they ceased honoring the gods and began to ignore them, they were aided in this by colonizers and other sailors who were eager to trade with the spice rich island. They quickly grew into a moderately well developed society that abhors the idea of serving a divine or greater power. There magic is often seen as similar to the divine so it is shunned and ostracized, anything that cannot be quickly replicated by others is cast out and abandoned.

Spoiler: Y'Lat'ae
    Show
    As for the other location - I believe it is where you should go, the coastal nation of Y'lat'ae. 200 years ago a cult of unknown origins emerged from the forests of twilight and began inflicting madness with magic. Groups of cult members would ambush smaller counts of people and drive them mad with various spells, but it was though they were learning and adapting the magic, over the course of 4 years it grew strong & more effective, and easier to inflict. I still don't know about a tone or sound, but it's the closest I've got for you.

Spoiler: Hordeck
    Show
    As for Hordeck, its an area that has long been a companion of turmoil, despite having several orders of knights be founded or based in the region & having churches dedicated to Law & Order, disruptions constantly seem to arise there, whether monsters from the forests, bandits along the roads and unnatural magical events. But nothing specifically points to your questions.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash is sitting with his legs crossed, seemingly meditating, in a similar position as the oracle. He's returned to human form, his eyes closed as he's apparently concentrating.

As soon as the oracle starts muttering, he opens one eye and glances at her, then closes it again as he returns to his meditation.

After some time waiting, he groans in annoyance. He rolls over backwards, then into a handstand, pushing himself off of the ground. He then lowers himself somewhat, beginning to do handstand push-ups. At one point, he leans over, lifts one arm, with all of his weight resting on the other arm, which is bent at the elbow. His legs are splayed, sticking in two different directions to help him balance; his entire body is shaking lightly at the effort. Then he jerks upwards, almost jumping as he straightens the arm he's resting his weight on, ending with a one-handed handstand. At that point, he bends at the waist, until his legs touch the ground, at which point he gets to his feet.

Then he glances at the oracle, who's getting ready with the tablet, and his eyes roll. "Finally," he mutters, and he runs over to her. After listening to her explain her divinations, the young man looks at her with a raised eyebrow. "Cannibals? 200 year old cults? Bah, what use is this? It's got nothing to do with what we asked!"
    Last edited by Taelas; 2022-04-26 at 08:08 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

ClericGuy

UR-ASIM

"We were never promissed certainty Ash, only that we would not be tricked and that she would work to the best of her abilities. She kept her word so we keep ours" says the beastman as he walks to the urn and deposits 100 in the vessel. "We'll keep your advice in mind Seer, but my companion is right, that doesn't help us much, excuse us but we'll have to seek other oracles"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Still, at least what she gave us was underrrrstandable..." Some seers liked to pontificate with asinine riddles and overwrought poetry. Mirrasha nodded respectfully to the Oracle. "And perrrrhaps what was told may fit as a missing piece with another Orrrracle's worrrrds later. Thank you."

Another nod to the Oracle and the catfolk resumed her invisible status.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

After returning up through the shifting walls of the stepwell and back down the path to the nexus, the sun was approaching it's zenith high above.

5 other routes presented themselves again, though according to the sign there were 6. The area looked untouched since they'd last left it, though the images in the mosaic tiles glint brightly in the midday sun.

The circular plaza is about 50 in diameter, with a large floor mosaic of the depicting major events & general artwork, there is the great battle of Halcynith, the comets of Arakesh, a solar eclipse, pictures of the island & ships travelling to & from, & a storm fire and light and many others.

The path directly to the left of the exited tunnel lies due East, the light posts along it are extinguished and some of the road stones have been churned up. - Led to the group of soldiers and leads to the oracle who doesn't like weapons.
    The next path is well lit, and appears untouched, in fact moss has grown over many of the stones as though the path is travelled infrequently. Led you to the history & memory oracle.
    The third path is has no lit posts, but appears undamaged, and a bit narrow. ---???
    The 4th path (opposite of your exit) is also well lit, those the vegetation on either side appears to be slightly overgrown.---???
    The 5th path is is brightly lit, with new & old lamps alike, there are several piles of rubble that have been swept into piles and appears to be in the midst of being cleaned up.---???
    The 6th path is perfectly leveled with stone worn and shaped into a smooth path, mage lights hang in the air revealing large scratches in the smooth rocky surface.---???
    The final path is a deer trail through a cluster of tightly packed trees, it is unlit, but there doesn't appear to be any light poles.---???

Spoiler: Ur - Asim & ?Partner?
    Show
    The path was much the same as before, however, as it neared the area where the soldiers had been previously camped, the silence became both evident and jarring.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Take the opportunity to make any checks/actions you'd like then make a spot check.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Shortly before Ur Asim was to head back down the path, the group had gathered back at the nexus. Upon entering the plaza they noticed an odd peculiarity among the mosaics decorating the locale.

While all of the mosaics were of pristine and shining lacquered stones, the stones depicting shadow of the solar eclipse seemed to be absorbing the rays of the overhanging sun.

The image depicts an event known to occur every decade or so, where a the orbit of the moon, planet & sun not only intersected but synchronized for close to a week. Leaving the world in brief spurt of significantly reduced light and heat. The phenomena was known to cause crops to die by rapidly cooling farmlands and developing into blizzards and ice storms.

Upon renewed inspection of the eclipse mosaic it becomes fairly evident that something is different,
    Spoiler: Eclipse Mosaic Details
    Show

1) The eclipse shadow is a single continuous piece of material not a composite image of dozens of stones.
    2) The shadow piece doesn't reflect any light and seems to be leeching color from its surroundings.
    3) The piece doesn't present as magical under the effect of detect magic.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Observing the changing mosaic caused Mirrasha's tail to swish with keen interest (albeit, still invisible). Was this a warning about the island then or something else -- and could it be connected to the damned Tone?

"Hrrrrrm, hold frrrriends..." The catfolk began. "An ill omen perrrrhaps unveils itself before us now on the mosaic! I have hearrrrd rumours of such an eclipse, yes. One that forrrretells, the coming of many abyssal or abhorrent extraplanar beings. They travel to ourrrr worrrrld and take up residence in the depths and shadow places.

Eight days, yes. This will last for eight days and the worrrrld will grow colder while it lasts. Maybe the Tone was a precursorrrr? Either way, it is something to tell the Orrrracles of..."

27. - Top - End - #57

ClericGuy

"First the maddening of beasts and now we also have to deal with fiends and frost? For the lifrebringer, I can't fight cold." The beasman ponders for a second then continues "I don't think the tone has anything to do with what you're saying Mirrasha, this is a ciclic event the tone is something new, unheard of. Either way, there's nothing we can do about it right now, we should keep going, the oracles await us"

Spoiler
    Show
    Ur-Asim will keep heading for the first path they took