New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Abomination Vaults IC

The mansion of the Mayor is a triple-winged three-story affair in the classy part of town. It is dead quiet as you ring the bell. After about ten minutes an angry butler opens the door a crack.

“What? Go away or I’ll have you arrested for disturbing the peace! Imagine waking folks in the middle of the night! Do you know who lives here?”
    Empyreal Lord of the Elysian Realm of Well-Intentioned Fail

2. - Top - End - #62

Carman Rajani meets you nervously down the block from the barracks building. “Ah Good Morning! I hoped you’d come this way. Ready for our visit?”

Captain Longsaddle greets you inside the gate with a sharp glance at Carman, but says nothing to him. “Good morning! Companee, Ten Shut! Mark time march! Right, face! Right, face! About, face! Companee, Halt! Present, arms!”

Three dozen armored fighters in three even rows, guided by sergeants with spears, carry out the commands silently with shining precision. They halt with a jerk, weapons held in front them.

“Go on, what do you think? Trained them myself!” the Captain beams.

Spoiler: Impressions of Lastwall Veterans
    Show
    Ill Fed and poorly rested, obviously up all night and morning preparing for inspection
    Noncoms are separated from the body of the force, not leading from within,
    Not wearing any religious symbols
    React by rote to orders without enthusiasm, no initiative permitted or tolerated
    Too much spit and polish in their armor and weapons, no runes!
    Not organized into fighting teams, actually grouped by height into even rows
    Weapons selection too limited and hung on the body at parade angles, not combat oriented
    Put that or other observations in your own language please

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheYell View Post
    The mansion of the Mayor is a triple-winged three-story affair in the classy part of town. It is dead quiet as you ring the bell. After about ten minutes an angry butler opens the door a crack.

“What? Go away or I’ll have you arrested for disturbing the peace! Imagine waking folks in the middle of the night! Do you know who lives here?”
    Giest
    AC: 17 | HP: 22 | Current: 22 | Hero Points: 1
    Fortitude: +6 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +7 | Perception: +5
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.
    Focus Points: 2 | Current 2

Giest blinks, and then looks towards the morning sun squinting and the back to the butler. Then points to the sun with one of her stuffed arms from the back of her mount companion. "Suns up. You need a clock. Or to learn how to read one. Aaaaanycase, we came as soon as we heard about the little.. issue. Terrible thing it is, so we're here to learn more so we can fix it before.. Well you know."
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

4. - Top - End - #64

The butler bites his lower lip, looks you all up and down, and opens the door wide. "Please come in. Wait here if you will, the Master and Mistress will be down shortly."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Gadricht ignores Aeoden, except enough to direct an irritated grimace his way. "Thought I woke up grumpy," he grumbles, before taking his coffee to a different table, to enjoy it in solitude.

He slinks along dutifully as most of the troupe marches to the mayor's residence. Blinking in surprise, the Dwarf glances down at the poppet as the little bunny gestures in line with his own thoughts. Almost more surprised that the butler summarily ushers them into a waiting room, he blinks in surprise again. "These people are making me look like a morning person," he gapes in wonderment.

As soon as the butler leaves, Gadricht begins exploring their surroundings. Not content to trust his eyes exclusively, he gingerly brushes a lightly gloved hand over most of the easily accessible nooks behind shelves or under the ridges of tables and chairs.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Mechanically, I imagine search is in order. Do you want us to roll the private checks associated, or you? Perception is at +5.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Arioch Mal'chazeen, Champion of Ragathiel
    AC: 20 | HP: 34 | Current: 34 | Hero Points: 1
    Fortitude: +9 | Reflex: +4 | Will: +7 | Perception: +5
    Focus Points: 1 | Current: 1

Arioch walked up and down the rows, stopping at some, inspecting their arms and armor, running a finger along bindings or buckles, checking sheaths, before turning to the officers, each responsible for a dozen men. "Allow me to commend you on your preparations, you have successfully ensured your men are prepared for a military display on the parade grounds." He turned to Longsaddle and nodded out of deference for his role and position within Otari, "However, that is not what, my companion, Bul, or I are here to inspect." He walked over to Carmen Rajani, "Master Rajani will assist each unit's sergeants in ensuring that your arms and armor are battle ready. Last evening, on speaking with Mistress Wren, we discovered that the ruins of Gauntlight have become active once again, and it is our intention to investigate the ruins, much like the founders of this very town did, so very long ago. In so doing, it is my belief that we will displace creatures, or inhabitants of said ruins, and, not knowing their intentions, must prepare for the defense of Otari." He cast a glance at Longsaddle, "And while you appear co-ordinated and well trained, I have witnessed seasoned knights break ranks while fighting the restless dead." He paused, reviewing the enlisted men, "You are going to be the last line of defense that Otari has, in the event that we fail in our task, you will be risking your lives for your mothers, fathers, for your spouses, your children, and all that you have known."

He walked to Longsaddle, "Why are there no runes on their weapons, elixirs on their hip? If the Mayor does not budget for such, why are the guilds operating within Otari not contributing to the towns defense? We are not speaking about pick pockets and cut purses, we are speaking of the defense of the town. If you believe evil ever lies sleeping, you are misinformed. Organize your men, not by their skill on the parade grounds, but by their skill in the training yards, pair veterans with recruits, ensure your sergeants lead from the front, and do the same yourself. Dark times may be coming, and your guardsmen are ill-equipped to face it."

He turned to the guardsmen once again, "What you've achieved is admirable, and when I return I look forward to see how much further you will have come. The men and women to your left and right are your brothers and sisters, trust in their strength, their determination, and you together you will build a better, brighter future for Otari." He smiled, not wanted to break the enlisted guards morale, "Now you've worked your asses off all night, skipped bunk time, and missed breakfast, so hit the mess hall, fill your bellies. Your sergeants will drill you hard today, but I'm sure Longsaddle will repay your effort with some whiskey rations when you break for the eve."

7. - Top - End - #67

The Guard mutters to itself in astonishment, the name of Gauntlight clearly more fearful than that of Captain Longsaddle.

Their commanding officer draws himself up with a harrumph. "Well that is to say, the sponsoring lumber companies don't insist...they just want a show of force now and then when the muckrackers start union trouble...I mean... the undead? The Gauntlight again? err...what do you think, Padre?" He turns to Bul.

8. - Top - End - #68

The other adventurers take on poses of indifference or dismay to see Gadricht expertly going over the salon. He seems to find nothing, at least, the dwarf rogue gives no indication that he has found anything.

Appearances can be misleading, however.
    Spoiler: Gadricht's Search
    Show
    Gadricht notes plenty of smudges on the polished tantalus on the sideboard, and the whiskey apparently has been diluted with water.

Suddenly, from beneath the sideboard, the rogue's hands freeze, then dart into corner, withdrawing...a stuffed griffon doll!

Voices roil the hallway beyond. A loud male voice, you recognize as the Mayor's drawling burr, says, "But they can't know! We haven't told anybody outside the House!"

A female voice, somewhat shrill yet refined, cuts in. "Who cares HOW they know, they KNOW! Let them help!"

The pair, the Mayor and a richly jeweled woman in a silk quilted dressing gown, stop inside the door, smiling at you as if they hadn't just been arguing. The Lady of the House reacts first. "Griffonsaur! Wherever did you get that?" She darts forwards for the doll.

"How'd you find my daughter's doll? The children aren't allowed in the salon," stammers the Mayor.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

"Never tell everything you know," the Cad quips, offering the doll without resistance. "I'll say your kids apparently don't like to follow that rule, though," he adds with (what he hopes is) a friendly smirk.

"You're talkin' about that Gauntlight thing, yeah? We've heard. Ahhh... I think the most honest answer is that our shared friend seems quite concerned. In point of fact, that's why we're here. Seems you've got a collection that might have shared magical ties? Sounds to me like we're doing each other a favor if you let my friend with buttons for eyes take a gander and make sure you and yours aren't at risk directly. Magic is weird stuff. Hate to see you get hurt over a bauble."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Note to self: don't forget to use the findings!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Giest

"Well, I am a toy after all..." says the little animated bunny doll. She folds her arms and nods some, looking over the other toy, then up to the mayor. "We wanna make sure that any little problems go away, before you know...the thing happens." Giest had found that sometimes being vague was the best way to move forward with thing to let others think you know more than you know. Basic fortune telling one-o-one, let the customer come to their own conclusions.

11. - Top - End - #71

Mayor Menhemes pales and frowns. He steps forward swiftly to the sideboard and grabs the square bottle of whiskey. "Full enough," he mutters, and pours himself two fingers and adds a spritz of soda.

"Early enough, ain't it?" snaps his wife.

The mayor sighs and sets the drink on the sideboard untouched. "I hope we're totally confused. My oldest daughter Dorianna is having a recurring nightmare. She wakes before dawn every day having wet her bed. She refuses to discuss these dreams with us.

What that's got to do with an abandoned ruin in the fens, I can't imagine. There's nothing in there but gremlins, everybody knows that. It caved in centuries ago."

He stops pacing to stare at you. "If you're playing games with my Family based on some Tarot readings by that flamboyant seeress, by heaven I'll--"

"Pompous featherbrained oaf!" snaps his wife. "Mocking what is beyond your comprehension. Threatening guests who came to help you. If they were sent by the rituals, so much the better!

"I am Julia Menhemes, by the way," she says to you with a smile. "If Wrin thinks you need to see the relics, of course you shall. I'd appreciate it if you'd look in on Dorianna while you're here."

"I'm still Mayor of this town," growls Oseph Menhemes.

"And as you like to say, that all ends where your wife has her household! WILL you let me run this household?"

"I think we'd better discuss this in private--"

"There's nothing to discuss! Except my little girl's health!"
    Last edited by TheYell; 2022-12-28 at 09:39 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Gadricht follows the mayor and his wife with keen eyes and an impassive expression. "Aye, we seek you and yours no harm, master Menhemes. To be quite frank, it's more lucrative helping the right people than acting on ill intentions." He shrugs, fully aware of the oddness of such a remark.

"Rather make a killing helping people and retire the hero than wind up in prison for robbing the wrong house. No contest." He snorts in self-deprecating amusement. "Ma'am, you mind showing Giest here these relics?"

13. - Top - End - #73

Carman Rajani interrupts your huddle. "I could easily put a rune for every man here within three days. The selection I take it would be made by a superior officer? I can start at once if you like. Whom shall receive my bill?"

14. - Top - End - #74

Oseph forces himself to calm and says "I will go see that Dorianna can receive guests. Please show the others to the museum, Julia."

Julia leads you to the east wing of the manor, which is a red satin-clad room full of cases lined with red satin and filled with memorabilia.

"I'm not sure what you're looking for," she says. "This case holds gear of the wizard, Zarmavdian. This one has the cleric of Erastil, Asephena Menhemes, and this one the trappings of Vol Rajani. It's odd that you come now. Or maybe it isn't odd; anyhow, we rarely have all the relics in one room of the museum, they belong to all sorts of people in town."

"There are no relics of the rogue, Otari Ilvashti; he perished in the collapse of the Gauntlight 500 years ago. With his death, the Roseguard renounced adventuring and settled in what is now the town named after their friend: Otari."
    Last edited by TheYell; 2022-12-30 at 12:46 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Giest

As they got a little bit of at tour, the little poppet narrowed her button eyes focusing on the different artifacts. As she hears of the rogue, she says "Oh.." she's read enough books. Don't find the body, don't assume death.. Then she paused and hummed.. Five hundred years ago? Well humans would be dead by now, usually. But there was always other issues, other things out there that could cause some problems. Especially if he was something like an elf or gnome.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Aoden looks at the rag tag group of soldiers, opens but shuts his mouth after thinking to himself.
    No, it's not the time. As he followed and instead decided to observe a bit more before reacting.

"Gadricht, she's not the only one who can observe magical items." Aoden focuses his sight also going over
    the relics himself.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Bul was still hung over from last night, and groaned as his stalwart companion ripped the town guard a new one, shaking his head gently so as not to offend the spirits he imbibed last night he smiled wryly "Oh you glorious bastard, you've got a thing or two to learn about leading, and how to treat leaders in front of their men" he muttered to himself.

Having been directly asked a question, he suddenly pays attention, and see's a lot of the same things Arioch saw "Aye, my companion here is not wrong, but I see you are a product of your environment, no shame in that, but Ser Arioch here is correct, you lot will need to start training for actual combat, we don't know whats up there, and as he said, spillage is possible. And well, whats a guard worth if they can't fight, maybe we can show you a few basics before we leave?" he says, mostly asking Arioch "that way you can practice while we're gone."

Turning to Carmen he smiles again, somewhat forced "Well, if it is not within your budget, best to acquire one first I think, it's not in our funds to retrofit this troop." he pinches his nose as a headache suddenly springs forth.

Spoiler
    Show

Bul
    HP's: 30/30
    AC: 19
    Class DC: 18
    Speed: 25ft
    Fort: +7
    Ref: +5
    Will:+10
    Perception: +8
    Feats: Medic Dedication, Healing Hands, Diehard, Shield Block, Orc Ferocity, Battle Medicine, Group Coercion.
    Effects: Darkvision,
    Spells:
    1. 1st level - 3/3
    2. Healing Font - 2/2

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!
    Very busy with work

18. - Top - End - #78

Among the items in the case belonging to Vol Rajani you detect a magical presence in the longsword. Among the items belonging to Aesephna Menhemes, a silver stag brooch is definitely magical. Among the items belonging to the wizard Zarmavdian, the spellbook unsurprisingly resonates magically.

The longsword and the spellbook burn with some arcane power, and there is divine magic in the brooch. What is surprising is that all three burn intensely with psychic magical power as well, to the same degree.

19. - Top - End - #79

"Hmpph." Captain Longsaddle digs into the cobblestones with an armored toe, snaps erect. "Right. Carman, put a striking rune on each man's sword. I'll pay. As to what else needs doing, we can talk while they breakfast. I, uh, only want to have the best possible force, y'see. Elixirs? I suppose we'll get them in town.

"As to what's in the Gauntlight, we've only known about Gremlins and such pests. Never seemed worth studying, though, if you feel differently...well...I'll post a squad as scouts if you want to pick them out."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Giest

She hummed. "well these things have magic to them... Arcane, divine.. But all three of them are psychic casting as well. There is some deep impressions on these items.. If left alone for too long, they'd become animated things too!" says the animated doll.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Gadricht does his best "not paying attention" impression, eyeing the entire collection with an intensity few other than professional thieves can muster. Still, the odd doll's words demand his attention before long. "That seems... undesirable. Not to offend, but who's to tell whether or not the animate sword is half so personable as yourself, Giest?"

He frowns, considering the items. "Are you able to tell any more than that? While interesting, no doubt, I wouldn't call those details actionable... Do you think they've been tampered with?"

22. - Top - End - #82

Julia interrupts "So these things ARE a set? We'd heard the legends, but after 500 years it's hard to believe they're true."

The Mayor struts in. "Dorianna is dressed enough for visitors, if you'd care to come upstairs to see her."

23. - Top - End - #83

Spoiler: Aoden's Inspection
    Show
    You see nothing related to Nimbaloth, these are artifacts of human society of at least 500 years ago.

You see no reason they should have any occult significance, though if someone else sees it, you won't dispute it.

The sword is a thousand years old and to your eye enchanted with combat enhancing properties.

The brooch is enchanted with powers against the undead.

The spellbook is a middling powerful storehouse of spell knowledge if you can read magic.

24. - Top - End - #84

Grabbing a cup of coffee with the troops while they eat, you learn their eager lieutenant is named Zephraim, the three sergeants are Adolf, Brutus, Charles, and their soldiers are Adam, Alan, Axmo, Bob, Brett, Burt, Chuck, Carl, Ceelo, Dex, Dan, Dave, Erle, Eric, Enos, Frank, Fletch, Fergus, Geoff, Gus, Geordi, Hector, Hank, Hiram, Ink, Ibrahim, Ichabod, Jerome, Joe, Jay, Kyle, Ken, Kurt, Mike, Moe, and Mossimo.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Giest

Quote Originally Posted by TheYell View Post
    Julia interrupts "So these things ARE a set? We'd heard the legends, but after 500 years it's hard to believe they're true."

The Mayor struts in. "Dorianna is dressed enough for visitors, if you'd care to come upstairs to see her."

Giest blinks, and then looks to the mayor, "Oh. Oh! Okay!" she says cheerfully, hoping to help the kid even if it wasn't obviously part of the real reason they were here.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Gadricht eyes the sword, in particular, for a few more moments before allowing himself to be drawn away. "Tell us more about Dorianna, if you would? How old exactly is your daughter, and when did these bedwetting episodes begin? Does she work regularly with a tutor, and have many friends in town?"

Not one to play amateur psychiatrist lightly, Gadricht nonetheless hopes to find a relatively mundane explanation for the young lady's distress.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Aoden stares at the set for a while, seemingly in a trance but snaps out of it when there is mention of the child.
    "I'm sure the other two are way more suited for handling Dorianna..." Aoden coughs and readjusts himself awkwardly.