New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Adventure Awaits! The Hamlet of Oakvale

Spoiler: Linked Threads
    Show

Spoiler: Private Threads
    Show
    Please only read the thread for your own team. Exploration and discovery is a large part of this game, so please don't ruin it for yourself by getting OOC information for an IC advantage.

The Hamlet of Oakvale

Seventy some-odd years ago, or maybe a bit longer, an enterprising group of individuals set out to settle new lands in the unclaimed wilderness with dreams of becoming prosperous, independent land barons. After much hard work, they managed to scrape out a meager sustenance and form a tiny farming community that just barely survived through each winter.

Over the years, the town has grown as new settlers arrived seeking a place to call their own and children were born to those who call this land home. Oakvale slowly grew into a thriving farming community. The Valians, as the settlers came to call themselves, cultivated the land, raised livestock, and established trade with nearby towns. They built houses, barns, and mills, and developed a sense of community and camaraderie among themselves. The village became known for its fertile lands, abundant harvests, and warm hospitality. Frontier life wasn't easy, but to the Valians, it has always been worthwhile.

Now, the population has expanded to nearly two-hundred with seventy or eighty living full time in the central village and the rest in scattered farmsteads nearby.

Registered Adventurers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Character Race/Class Player
    Margaux d'Oakvale Human Artificer Jeriah
    Sephra il-Mereth Human Dragonspeaker In4Dimensions
    Olympia Byron Rhai'selog Cleric Nomad Hermit
    Grumph Half-Orc Aegis Geeksthenewsexy
    "Providence" Thomson Half-Orc Monk MornShine
    Aerilya Human Rajah Deadguy
    Aven Elf Rogue Thundercracker
    Last edited by Rizban; 2023-04-24 at 10:48 AM.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Adventure Awaits! The Hamlet of Oakvale

Spoiler: Discovering the Dungeon
    Show
    The wounded explorer, a seasoned adventurer named Lady Adelaine, returned to Oakvale in a state of distress. Her once-bold demeanor was replaced with a haunted expression as she recounted the harrowing tale of her ill-fated expedition into the mountains. The source of the rumblings deep in the earth felt by the villagers over the past few weeks has finally made itself known. A mere two hour hike away rests the entrance to a newly-discovered dungeon!

Lady Adelaine spoke of a treacherous journey through dark and winding corridors, where traps lurked at every turn and monstrous creatures prowl in the shadows. She wove a tale of how her companions fell one by one, succumbing to the dungeon's deadly challenges. She narrowly escaped with her life, but not without sustaining severe injuries. She knew she must survive to warn the people of Oakvale of the dangers that lurked within the dungeon, survive to urge caution to anyone who dared to venture into its depths, and survive to claim the hefty reward the Adventurer's Guild offers for discovering a new dungeon.

Her tale spread through Oakvale like wildfire, and the once-peaceful village was abuzz with talk of the dungeon. Intrigued but wary, some were eager to test their mettle against the dungeon's challenges, while others remained more cautious, heeding Lady Adelaine's warning. The news of the dungeon and Lady Adelaine's account added a sense of urgency and excitement to the village, as adventurers from far and wide started began trickling into Oakvale, seeking fame, fortune, and glory in the uncharted depths of the dungeon!

The sun slowly rose in the sky over Oakvale on a cool spring morning, casting its warm golden rays upon the bustling town. News of the dungeon has spread far and wide, and young adventurers have answered the call, arriving in Oakvale awaiting the official opening of the dungeon. Excitement was palpable in the air as you gather in the town square with other adventurers, eagerly anticipating the words of the local guildmistress, Baroness Sylera Silverheart.

The baroness, a seasoned adventurer herself, climbs atop a raised platform followed closely by Lady Adelaine, the adventurer who first discovered and now technically owns the dungeon.

Adorned in her signature blue and silver robes, Baroness Silverheart slams her staff into the quickly erected stage to gather attention to herself.. Her piercing blue eyes scan the crowd with a glimer of amusement and perhaps a little disdain. At last, the time has come to open the gates of the dungeon to delving!

Clearing her throat, the baroness addresses the eager adventurers with a confident and commanding voice.

"Fellow adventurers of Oakvale, today is a momentous day! Our survey team has returned with positive news from the dungeon. The way has been deemed safe for exploration, and we are now ready to open its depths to those who are brave enough to venture forth."

A cheer erupts from the gathered adventurers, their excitement palpable as they eagerly await further instructions.

She continues, "However, I must emphasize the importance of caution. The dungeon is fraught with peril, with traps and monsters lurking in its shadows. The dungeon has been rated as a Standard Scaling Challenge Dungeon, which as you know means it follows basic, expected rules of the dungeon while providing adequate awards for overcoming its challenges while punishing those who fail them.

The dungeon appears to have one strict Dungeon Law which applies to all floors: No Experience Conversion. This means that you are strictly unable to convert gold into experience while within any part of the dungeon. Any other Dungeon Laws in place have limited scope to a particular floor or region, and it is up to you to discover these on your own.

The first floor of the dungeon is appropriate for adventurers level one to three with a floor boss which should not be challenged before you reach third level.

The second floor and its boss are scaled for adventurers between level three and six while the third floor is appropriate for those level six and higher. It is recommended that you do not delve deeper than these recommendations; however, as always, you are on your own to make your own decisions, and these are just the official suggestions.

While a fourth floor does exist, it has not been surveyed.

Of note, the survey team did not clear any of the bosses or loot any hidden caches, and the First Clear rewards are fully intact, a rare treat indeed! However, if the dungeon deems you to be too high of a level for the challenge, you will not receive the First Clear reward!

Only registered teams with proper certification will be permitted to enter. The guild will be closely monitoring the dungeon's progress, and you will be informed should the nature of the dungeon change.
    "

Baroness Silverheart's expression softens as she continues. "I implore you all to work together, to watch out for each other, and to prioritize safety above all else. Conflict between parties will be punished harshly. Remember, this is not a race, but a test of skill, courage, and teamwork. May the blessings of the gods be with you as you embark on this perilous journey."

With those words, the baroness concludes her speech and departs as the adventurers erupt into a mix of applause and loud conversation.

Lady Adelaine steps up and launches a spray of fire into the air to regain the crowd's attention.

"Teams are required to register at the newly constructed Guild Hall. You must have all members present to register your team, and all members must be registered adventurers in good standing with the guild.

At this time, no adventurer over third level will be permitted to enter the dungeon until such time as the first floor boss has been cleared. After this time, all level restrictions will be removed, assuming no unexpected developments occur.

Teams will be assigned a delving time in a semi-randomized order with three teams delving at a time. There will be a minimum of one hour delay between delving slots. If you're late to your scheduled time, you lose it, and your team will be sent to the back of the line.

Delving will beginning at dawn on the morrow. Your assigned time will be listed an hour after sunset tonight. So go, arrange your teams, and get registered promptly!
    "

Teams of adventurers immediately began to gather, eagerly discussing their strategies and making their final preparations to enter the dungeon while others rush to the guild hall to register as quickly as possible.

As the adventurers disperse, Lady Adelaine can't help but feel a sense of pride and responsibility. The dungeon held many mysteries and treasures, but it also held great dangers. She was determined to ensure that the adventurers would have the best chances of success and the new dungeon would become a successful venture. With a resolute nod, Lady Adelaine turned and made her way back to the guild hall, ready to oversee the start of a new chapter in Oakvale's history.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

How exciting!

Though the address had come in the morning, Sephra had already been awake for several hours. An early riser, Sephra enjoyed the feeling of the morning mist on her face as she strolled around Oakvale. She had arrived only the day before, and as such she wanted to get a feel for the town before she departed. She soon stumbled across a bakery, and so she had a quite lovely breakfast of bread and some cheese that she had brought along with her. As the rising sun burned away the mist, she headed for the town square.

After the baron and Lady Adelaine had finished giving their speeches, Sephra stood and thought for a moment. Since she had no previous dungeoneering experience and no friends with her, it was clear that she needed to form a party. She especially wanted to ask someone about the Dungeon Laws the baron had mentioned--the concept was foreign to her. Looking around, she saw people of all sorts milling about. One caught her eye: a human woman who seemed to have an air of nobility about her, and with a small bird on her shoulder. Seeking a kindred spirit, Sephra walked up to her. "A pleasure to meet you! I am Sephra of the Mereth family. May I ask your name?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmm? Oh. I'm Margaux. Did you need something?" she responds, obviously distracted while thinking over all that she just learned.
    Last edited by Jeriah; 2023-04-18 at 07:46 PM.
    Homebrewer's extended signature

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    Click an award to see the entry.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hefting his backpack with a heavy shield trapped to its rear, the half-orc known as Grumph stands clad in old fur travelling clothes, and an axe held propped onto one shoulder. Nodding at the words on offer, he notes the rules about registered groups and huffs a sigh of irritation. He'd come alone, so now he had to find a way to join a group...but he was terrible at small talk, or dealing with other people in general when not set to a joint task already.

Dropping his axe from his shoulder and flexes his thick hands on its haf and pulls ectoplasm into reality through sheer force of will, the air surrounding him concussing slightly in an impact without sound as a suit of ectoplasmic chainmail snaps into being around his person, as well as coating tightly around his axe. Slamming the flat of the ectoplasm-clad blade into his chest to clang loudly and call attention to himself, he grunts as he meets the eyes of the surrounding adventurers beginning to talk with one another before speaking loudly in a deep baratone without preamble, tact, or hesitation. "Available. Need group."

Having little to no social skills whatsoever, the former sailor hopes a show of simple confidence and ability will help him in drawing the attention of a group willing to take him on, as it seems he won't be allowed to register without one. Having come too far to give up now, he sets his stance to wait and see what fruit his attempt might bear. If this does not work...well, he will burn that bridge down when he comes to it.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Grumph

Move Action: Form Astral Suit (Medium - Chainmail)

Dude has a 5 Charisma. So...lol
    "He who makes a beast of himself, loses the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, apologies if I interrupted you. If I may ask, would you be interested in forming a party? My skillset is flexible, so I'm sure that we'd be able to work together." Seeing that her first question had perhaps disturbed the other woman, Sephra waits patiently for a response.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Aven

A slight elven figure with angular features and fair skin listens to the introduction of the dungeon. Rumors had swirled for days, and after gathering supplies, including a fine rapier, short bow, plenty of lantern oil, and a suit of studded leather, now was the time to try finding some companions and delving into the newly found dungeon.

A few individuals nearby seemed to be coming together to form a group, and Aven thought to join up.

"Hello, my name is Aven. I am also looking to take part in forming a group," Aven said, "I dwell in the forest nearby, and have some experience with traps and the like, and I am also fairly competent with a bow."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d2)[2]

She looked the half-orc up and down.
    "No doubt what his specialty is," she thought.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2023-04-18 at 09:27 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by In4Dimensions View Post
    "Oh, apologies if I interrupted you. If I may ask, would you be interested in forming a party? My skillset is flexible, so I'm sure that we'd be able to work together." Seeing that her first question had perhaps disturbed the other woman, Sephra waits patiently for a response.
    "Hm?" She shakes here head to clear her thoughts. "Oh. No, it's no bother, really. Just... thinking... about... uh, things, I guess." Her gaze drifts back towards the guild hall and where the two speakers headed before quickly snapping back to the person in front of her.

"Uh, it's Sephra, right? Sorry. Yeah, I definitely should join a party. Was kind of planning to run solo, but I don't think they'll accept a party of just Tally-Hawk and myself..."

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh! Well, I'd be happy to work together, if you'd like."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by In4Dimensions View Post
    "Oh! Well, I'd be happy to work together, if you'd like."
    "Yes, that's good. Good... So, uh... I have training in the arcane arts with a focus on direct damage as well as a specialization in trap detection and removal, can tank a moderate amount of damage if necessary, and possess some other support training. I've worked hard to be well rounded.

How about yourself?

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Never being one to read social queues, let alone decipher them, Grumph answers the question asked, despite not knowing for sure if it was directed to him or not. Lifting up his axe with a broad grin that shows off his small tusks, he bellows his answer, "Grumph good at fighting! Good at not dying! Who want join for dungeon?"

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriah View Post
    "Yes, that's good. Good... So, uh... I have training in the arcane arts with a focus on direct damage as well as a specialization in trap detection and removal, can tank a moderate amount of damage if necessary, and possess some other support training. I've worked hard to be well rounded.

How about yourself?
    "I would say that my strongest role is support, though I can fight on the frontlines if needed. My draconic powers can grant either increased defenses or offenses to those around me, and I can also detect magic. I have a fairly potent healing ability, and my akashic abilities are flexible day-to-day."

Sephra ignores the half-orc for now, though a durable fighter does seem like they would cover a few gaps between her and Margaux...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geeksthenewsexy View Post
    Never being one to read social queues, let alone decipher them, Grumph answers the question asked, despite not knowing for sure if it was directed to him or not. Lifting up his axe with a broad grin that shows off his small tusks, he bellows his answer, "Grumph good at fighting! Good at not dying! Who want join for dungeon?"

Show
    Aven

"Why not the four of us join together?" the elf asked, pointing in turn to herself, Grumph, and the others nearby, "it seems a well-balanced quartet; perhaps fate led us all to this patch of ground at this time."
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2023-04-19 at 08:43 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

After the end of the speech, Olympia spends some time looking around, seeing as the groups form. She looks at the ones that seem to be people that are already acquainted to each other and to the ones that are forming as people meet each other. After some thought, she decides to enter a newly-formed team instead of an established one, as she thinks it would give her more chances to learn stuff.

After a couple minutes of observation, she approaches a promising group and introduces herself.

Greetings. I'm Olympia, a priestess of Buzur. I'm also looking for a group to enter the dungeon, are you in need of a healer? I see that you already have four in your group, and I'm unsure of how many each group is allowed to have.

She is a tall woman, with an imposing figure. She is clad in scale mail armor and has a shield and a backpack casually tossed on her back, and a morningstar hanging from her belt. The armor has She has a fair skin, and looks more like someone whom you would find at a library than in a dungeon, but the expression in her face is stern and determined. With a closer look it's possible to see that she is constantly scanning her surroundings.

Spoiler: Olympia Byron (just switch the sword for a morningstar)
    Show
    Is parsley scarier than nutmeg?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lenon3579 View Post
    After the end of the speech, Olympia spends some time looking around, seeing as the groups form. She looks at the ones that seem to be people that are already acquainted to each other and to the ones that are forming as people meet each other. After some thought, she decides to enter a newly-formed team instead of an established one, as she thinks it would give her more chances to learn stuff.

After a couple minutes of observation, she approaches a promising group and introduces herself.

Greetings. I'm Olympia, a priestess of Buzur. I'm also looking for a group to enter the dungeon, are you in need of a healer? I see that you already have four in your group, and I'm unsure of how many each group is allowed to have.

She is a tall woman, with an imposing figure. She is clad in scale mail armor and has a shield and a backpack casually tossed on her back, and a morningstar hanging from her belt. The armor has She has a fair skin, and looks more like someone whom you would find at a library than in a dungeon, but the expression in her face is stern and determined. With a closer look it's possible to see that she is constantly scanning her surroundings.

Spoiler: Olympia Byron (just switch the sword for a morningstar)
    Show
    Aven

"One wielding healing magic would always be welcome; I suspect the new dungeon will be especially dangerous," Aven said. She side-stepped half a step to make room for the newcomer.
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Pointing to the as yet unnamed orc, Sephra, and Olympia, Margaux simply states, "A tank, two off tank supports, and a cleric would make a good team. Good survival chances anyway."

Looking over to Aven the elf, she shrugs. "I'm not sure we should double up on the Rogue skill set, but if you can't find another team of quality, you are welcome as well."
    Last edited by Jeriah; 2023-04-20 at 01:22 PM.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

A red-haired young woman broke off from another gaggle of people with a shake of her head. She made her way toward the group. She wore scale armor and carried a polearm in one hand, leaning against it slightly once she stopped walking.

"I dare say, there's a good many too frightened by the story of the Lady to venture forth. Hopefully, this group does not share in their... caution. I am Aerilaya and I call upon the powers of my ancestors to crush my foes and mend my allies. What say you then? Daring to strike out?"

Aerilaya seemed to appraise each of the gathered in turn before smiling slightly. "It appears that a few of us have come more prepared than others. The advantages of birth can't be underestimated, even in the dredges of dungeons. I imagine that is one of the reasons the Lady made it out, and the rest did not..."

Spoiler: Image
    Show
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2023-04-20 at 03:49 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
    Aerilaya seemed to appraise each of the gathered in turn before smiling slightly. "It appears that a few of us have come more prepared than others. The advantages of birth can't be underestimated, even in the dredges of dungeons. I imagine that is one of the reasons the Lady made it out, and the rest did not..."
    Margaux unconsciously presses her lips into a tight, fine line as she tries not to speak up but fails miserably.

"Perhaps it is as you suggest, but we Valians do not hold to such conceits. You will not find much kinship in our town viewing it from such a lofty height.

More important is the willingness to work hard to seize opportunity. Have you any experience getting your own hands dirty, or do your servants handle that for you?"

She shakes her head and turns towards the guild hall.

"What say you, Sephra? And... Grumph, was it? Shall we register as a team?"

Whether or not anyone follows her, Margaux heads off to go register. Solo if she must.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilaya chuckles at the notion of servants and hefts the polearm, as if testing the weight.

"My arms swing my own weapon and my shoulders hold the weight of my own armor. It’s a shame that you can’t recognize my perch is no more lofty than your metal friend’s, I simply recognize and acknowledge an advantage when I see one. Ideology gives way to shrewdness when your life hangs in the balance."
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2023-04-21 at 04:58 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

With a sigh, Olympia ostensibly turns her back to Margaux and gestures to Aerilaya and Aven.

Well, I guess it's us. Do you want to team up? I think that we look promising, even with only three members. Let's show them what we are capable of!
    Last edited by lenon3579; 2023-04-21 at 09:08 AM.
    Is parsley scarier than nutmeg?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lenon3579 View Post
    With a sigh, Olympia ostensibly turns her back to Margoth and gestures to Aerilaya and Aven.

Well, I guess it's us. Do you want to team up? I think that we look promising, even with only three members. Let's show them what we are capable of!
    Aven

The elf regarded Olympia for a moment.
    “So be it,” she replied, then turned to Aerilaya.
    TC for short

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
    Aerilaya chuckles at the notion of servants and hefts the polearm, as if testing the weight.

"My arms swing my own weapon and my shoulders hold the weight of my own armor. It’s a shame that you can’t recognize my perch is no more lofty than your metal friend’s, I simply recognize and acknowledge an advantage when I see one. Ideology gives way to shrewdness when your life hangs in the balance."
    Margaux looks meaningfully at the bird clearly perched on her shoulder before turning back with a smirk and a quirked eyebrow.

"No more lofty than the bird who stands atop my shoulders and soars through the skies high above those who toil on the ground?"

Margaux just chuckles and moves to the guild hall.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

As Margaux begins to walk off, Sephra stands still, thinking for a moment. She had hoped to work with both of the feuding noblewomen, but a spat this early would bade ill later on in the dungeon. First, she turns towards Aerilaya, extending a hand. "While it seems we won't be working together at the moment, I hope we will be able to do so in the future, or at least meet up and share a meal sometime." After a handshake, Sephra walks briskly in the direction of the guild hall, catching up to Margaux. "Any fun ideas for a team name?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Aerilaya accepted the offered hand with a shake and nod in agreement, before turning to the other women.

"This is our team then. Let us get registered and a good night's sleep before tomorrow."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

You head off to the guild hall, which is actually just an older barn that was purchased and given minor renovations.

The half walls of the five former animal stalls along the left side were built up, the first stall now serving as a private office for the guild mistress while the remaining four doors are unlabeled.

The right side wall of the barn is home to a large Quest Board™ which, thus far, has only three small flyers posted, all of which appear to be low level resource gathering quests.

About halfway back, a long counter stretching from wall to wall is staffed by four slightly clerks work to get teams registered and assigned.

The hay loft up above remains unchanged, even still holding several piles of scattered hay. You recall that it's being used as temporary housing for adventurers who have not found lodging elsewhere, and it appears that some are still sound asleep.

After waiting in line for a short time, you fill out the paperwork to register your teams, with each individual needing to sign their name to the paper. Any who are not registered as guild members do so as part of this process.

Once you finish the basic paperwork, the team leader is directed to draw a lot from a box which determines order of entry into the dungeon the next day.

But some seemingly miraculous twist of fate, blessing of luck, roll of the dice, or whim of the gods, both of your teams have drawn the number 1 and will take two of the three team slots for the first delve!

((At this point, wandering about town should still happen in this thread, especially if both teams are involved. Otherwise, I'll be posting links to individual team threads shortly.))
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #26

Flashing a broad grin that nearly splits his face, causing his tusks to gleam prominently, Grumph raises his axe with a bellowing cheer. Stomping off after Margaux, he waves at the rest of those gathered, "Exciting! Fight well."

Once at the guild hall, mumbling to himself as he finishes his guild paperwork with surprisingly excellent penmanship, Grumph looks around and eyes the piles of hey as if contemplating a nap. It was a long journey, after all, coming so far inland. Glancing at his newly registered party members, he shrugs and heaves a sigh of resignation, "Hate waiting. Anything to do?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Sephra turned to address both Grumph and Margaux as she spoke. "There's a few things the Baron mentioned earlier that I didn't understand, so I want to find her or the Lady and ask about Dungeon Laws and Experience Conversion. You're welcome to join me, or do whatever you feel like. If you don't come, I'll share what I learn tomorrow morning."

28. - Top - End - #28

Nodding thoughtfully, Grumph hefts his axe. "You talk. Grumph protect." Taking a step, he pauses and touches his stomach with a frown. "Then food...?"