New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Wells of Darkness IC

Huhhing at the mist, Ixen’Hesjing opts for the less controversial casual trot. The huhhing continues when they find the supposed well and the strange sounds coming from it. More to the others and less the swarm, he says ”Those howls don’t sound good. Think we need to do some hopscotch, as the kids say?”
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Stepping through the gate, Shakrat fixes both of the sleeves of his cloak, smiles and nods, but then his face grows sour when he smells the local 'fragrance'.

Following, he doesn't cast any spells, but you can see he has a severe limp one he just accepts and continues on.

Upon seeing the pit he raises an eyebrow, "Do we know what these large ants are?" he exclaims, more of a statement than a question, as in 'we should probably find out before we dive into the pit' than anything.

Spoiler
    Show

k.arcana - (1d20+16)[19]
    I'm not a knowledge bank....

Shakrat, the Coming Light
    M LN Human Solar Oracle // Solar Sorcerer, Level 21, Init 12, HP 255/255, Speed 20
    AC 38, Touch 25, Flat-footed 30, CMD 41, Fort 20, Ref 21, Will 20, CMB +16, Base Attack Bonus 15
    [10/10] Staff of Power (+2 quarterstaff) +18/+13/+8 (1d6+3, x3)
    Bracers of armor +8 (+8 Armor, +8 Dex, +5 Natural, +5 Deflect, +2 Misc)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 26, Con 24, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 34
    Condition Serpent in the Sun: (if received 4 hours+ of sunlight)
    -do not need to eat or drink
    -immune to non/magical diseases, poison and fatigue
    immunity to fire
    low-light vision
    Immunity to dazzled
    Conjuration (teleport) or spells with the fire/light descriptor are automatically enlarged
    Spells with fire descriptor gain +1 damage per die rolled
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rysn Ymeric
    Spoiler: Statblock
    Show

Male NG Aasimar (Peri-Blooded) Arcanist 20/Loremaster 1 | Transcendant 21, Level 21, Init 11, HP 252/252, Speed 30
    AC 40, Touch 40, Flat-footed 33, CMD 57, Fort 35, Ref 35, Will 31, CMB +17/+12/+7, Base Attack Bonus 15/10/5
    (+7 Dex, +9 Natural, +14 Misc)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 24, Con 24, Int 38, Wis 16, Cha 28
    Condition Pestilence Cloak: 50% miss chance
    Eyes of the Hawkguard: True Seeing
    Sprinter's Boots: +16 Initiative
    Eye of the Oracle: Analyze Dweomer

Rysn kept a careful eye on their surroundings as the group moved deeper within the otherworldly complex, less with an eye to danger than simply taking in the details of the strange environment itself. His lips moved silently as he soundlessly mumbled to himself, committing the many details to memory.

When he took in the sights of the strange huge ants and the reactions of the others, he paused for a moment. Since the vermin seemed content to swarm their chosen location and not come out to greet the adventurers he takes a deep breath, reaching within the draw on an alternative set of prepared magics. He reached out to delve the Akashic Record as a supplement to his own extensive knowledge of the many worlds.

Spoiler: Actions and Effects
    Show

Full round action to switch to Veil set 2, switching back to set 1 after the check is complete. All knowledge checks have the same bonus except Arcana, so if it's K Arcana to identify then it will be +1 above the following check.
    Knowledge check (1d20+49)[55]
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rysn realises what the creatures are. They are an Abyssal Ant Swarm. A very dangerous collection of creatures that could hold their own in a fight with even a nalfeshnee. They will have to be dealt with in one way or another, since they seem to be hanging around the Well you need currently. Of course, you could always either lead them away, or perhaps wait for them to leave. Or maybe some other way may occur to deal with them.

Spoiler: OOC Actions
    Show

Rysn, you will be able to learn their details, which are on page 166 of the Fiend Folio. It is a 3.5 source, but close enough.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2023-06-18 at 05:27 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95

Rysn Ymeric
    Spoiler
    Show

Male NG Aasimar (Peri-Blooded) Arcanist 20/Loremaster 1 | Transcendant 21, Level 21, Init 11, HP 252/252, Speed 30
    AC 40, Touch 40, Flat-footed 33, CMD 57, Fort 35, Ref 35, Will 31, CMB +17/+12/+7, Base Attack Bonus 15/10/5

While deep in concentration, focusing his magics to enhance his recall of facts, Rysn's head seemed to twitch toward the pit with each piercing shriek and roar that echoed forth. "An Abyssal Ant is naught but annoyance, a swarm of them on the other hand can be a dangerous foe for even the hardiest of adventurers. We should approach it with caution. They are known to have an acidic bite and can even spit the acid if they can't reach you to deliver it personally. Acid doesn't tend to bother them at all and sadly blades will help us little here. Any sort of large area magical effects are usually particularly effective in clearing out enough of the swarm to cause the rest to disperse."

Rysn gestured the others to gather around close together. "I can provide us some protection from their acid at the least before we engage them. The One knows a bite from one of those looks bad enough without acid eating flesh from our bones. Once we are ready to engage it, I will Haste us, though it doesn't last long so I will do so just before we attack" He then muttered an incantation, touching the others each in turn.

Show

Casting Mass Resist Energy with Extend via Sacred Geometry.
    (((((((((((((((((((4+3) +5) -1) *2) +4) *3) /1) /6) -2) +4) *3) +2) -4) -1) -6) /1) -5) +2) -5) +3 = 31
    Resist Acid 30, 90 minute duration each for the other 4, 80 minutes on self.
    Casting Foresight on self 220 minute duration
    Once everyone is ready and done with their own preparations Haste on the party with Extend via Sacred Geometry.
    (((((((((((((((((((4+4) /1) +2) +4) -5) +5) +5) /1) +3) +2) +4) /1) -1) +6) +6) -6) *1) *1) -6) +4 = 31
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Reiza Duneknight
    Slayer/Sentinel
    AC 48, Touch 25, Flat-footed 39
    DR:5/-
    HP:483
    Perception:35
    Delayed Damage Pool: 102
    Reserve Points: 19
    Second Wind (Ex): 10d6+9 heals no more than 50% max
    Conditions: none

Big nasty ants huh well we need them gone one way or another

Actions: True Sight active, move stealthy (1d20+35)[47]

Scout As a swift action, you may identify a creature’s weaknesses (DC 10 + creature’s CR) <K. Planes +36, Arcana, Dungeoneering, Local, Nature, Religion all +24 all others +10 (1d20)[7]

Studied target Abyssal Ants, Guardian Challenge Abyssal Ants (13 rounds)

Draw sword and shield
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-07-01 at 04:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Ixen'Hesjing hums in thought for a minute before muttering to himself "Well I'm honestly not the most suited for a swarm but..." He waits for the signal before he throws in his own little addition to the swarm fun times: a geyser that sprays into the air and then threatens the surrounding area with freezing rain.

Spoiler: Surprise Action
    Show
    Throwing in a Freezing Geyser right where the ants are. It takes up a 10x10 square and will spread said freezing rain starting next round 30ft around said square.

DC 40 [10 Base + 13 Wisdom + (16/2) CL + 9 from Circlet of Brass] Reflex Save to avoid (16d6+18)[70] Fire Damage. The Fire Damage ignores 45 points of Fire Resistance and treats Fire Immunity as Fire Resist 50 instead.
    If they have evasion they still take (3d6+18)[30] Fire Damage.

Also here's my init just to get it out of the way: (1d20+6)[24]
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The ants immediately turn on the party the moment the first attack comes at them. The swarm is badly damaged by the freezing geyser, but they aren't all killed.

The ants main weakness is to area attacks. They are particularly susceptible to those.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

“If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” plays in Ixen’Hesjing’s mind as he continues to maintain concentration on the geyser with the express purpose of making some roasted ants and/or ant popsicles.

Spoiler: Actual First Round
    Show
    Just gonna keep geysering since I go before the ants.
    (16d6+18)[73] or (3d6+18)[23] Fire Damage for the ants left in the geyser.

For the things outside of the geyser but within the freezing downpour around it: DC 31 Reflex or (10d6)[41] Cold Damage, and entangled. I do the whole messing with Resistances with the damage and they take (2d6)[8] cold damage if they have evasion.
    New job, who dis?

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Reiza Duneknight
    Slayer/Sentinel

Die evil ant!
    Initiative [26]

Blood Reader Know remaining hit points of studied opponent
    Find Gap: ant Ac is 5 less for 10 rounds

Actions: Move into melee speed 30ft towards the nearest ant
    Challenged Ant(s)
    Studied Target (Ex) +5
    Perfect TWF sword & shield

Attack: Ant (+6/+7) Bastard Sword Bane(outsider evil) (1d20+41)[43] +2 if outsider evil
    confirm critical 17-20x3 (1d20+41)[45]
    slashing damage (2d8+30)[38]
    sneak attack (6d6)[24]

Attack Ant (+5) Mithral Heavy Spiked Steel Bashing Shield (1d20+34)[53]
    confirm critical x2 (1d20+34)[54]
    damage (2d6+25)[37]

two weapon rend (1d10+5)[8]

if hit also hit with a free bull rush attack substituting attack roll for the combat maneuver check
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-07-01 at 04:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Shakrat raises an eyebrow at the ants, he was going to be casting a spell to lift him off this demonic dirt, but his companions started without him.

"Very well then"

He brings up his hands and radiant solar energy begins to swell between them, once it coalesced into a sphere, he launched it at them.

Spoiler
    Show

init - (1d20+12)[31]

Intensified Fireball Fire Damage - (20d6+20)[85] DC 25 Ref
    [roll=Spell Penetration]1d20=25[/roll]

M LN Human Solar Oracle // Solar Sorcerer, Level 21, Init 12, HP 255/255, Speed 20
    AC 38, Touch 25, Flat-footed 30, CMD 41, Fort 20, Ref 21, Will 20, CMB +16, Base Attack Bonus 15
    immunity to fire
    low-light vision
    Immunity to dazzled
    Conjuration (teleport) or spells with the fire/light descriptor are automatically enlarged
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2023-06-20 at 12:19 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

12. - Top - End - #102

Rysn Ymeric
    Spoiler
    Show

As everyone prepared to engage the swarm Rysn unleashed the Haste spell he had prepared for this moment and then immediately shifted into another incantation, this one much darker. The eldritch syllables seemed to fall flat into the greasy air, withering rather than echoing as he unleashed a wave of macabre energy into the ants.

Show

Initiative count 47

Cast Horrid Wilting. (20d6)[69] damage, dc 32 Fort for half, (1d20+28)[38] Spell Penetration check.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaxon again begins rapping the base of his crystal-headed staff upon the ground. The protective metal base making the distinct metal-on-stone 'TINK' with each strike. Pale green energy that seems to come from the hostile nature of The Abyss itself gathers around the head of the red gemstone atop the staff. Jaxon chants as his eyes begin to glow and he levels the staff at the center of the ant-swarm. A bead of brightly glowing green energy speeds from the head of the staff in a straight line towards the ant swarm, suddenly expanding as it reaches its intended target. Pale green energy washes over everything in the area in a wave. Everything in the wave's radius collapsing into a pile of dust a mere moment later, leaving behind neat, unnatural angles in the stone, the earth, and even the air.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show

On initiative 40 Jaxon casts the Burst version of his destruction blast, using 2 Spell Points total
    Full Damage +1SP, Disintegrating Blast +1SP, 30ft Radius Burst +1SP, Gather Energy -1SP
    Gather Energy uses your move action, so its a Move and a Standard action to cast.
    (24d6+5)[93] Untyped Damage, Reflex DC 37 for Half

Destructive Blast
    Action: Standard**
    Spell Points: 0**
    Range: 1200ft
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Effect: This attack has 3 forms:
    Ray
    Ranged Touch +28 ; 17-20/x2; 14d6 Bludgeoning Damage
    Talents: Destruction, Extended Range
    Augment: Full Damage (+10d6) (+1 SP), Force Blast (+1 SP), Disintegrating Blast (+1 SP), Gather Energy (-1 SP)
    Burst
    Talents: Destruction, Extended Range, Explosive Orb, Selective Blast
    Augment: Full Damage (+10d6) (+1 SP), Force Blast (+1 SP), Disintegrating Blast (+1 SP), Gather Energy (-1 SP), Better Selection (+1 SP), Wider Burst (+1 SP)
    Saving Throw: Reflex DC 37; Half Damage
    Attack of Opportunity
    Melee Touch +28; 17-20/x2; 14d6 Bludgeoning Damage
    Talents: Destruction, Energetic Response
    Augment: Force Blast (+1 SP), Disintegrating Blast (+1 SP)

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The varying attacks, most of them area-affecting, manage to blow the ants away with little difficulty. Silence descends once more, as you recover your breath. Now you just have to figure out how you want to get into the Well to rescue Shami-Amourae.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

With the ants taken care of Ixen’Hesjing stops spewing forth the geyser, which in turn stops the freezing water eventually. With a sigh of relief he turns to the others and says ”Well that went well enough. Let’s see what they were guarding…” He then flaps on over, hovering over the icy terrain a few feet.
    New job, who dis?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Reiza Duneknight
    Slayer/Sentinel

well that was nice and quick

Actions: walk over to the well and look around
    Knowledge (Planes): (1d20+36)[37]
    Perception: (1d20+35)[38]
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-07-01 at 04:24 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

There is a circular pit before you. It is inky dark within, but you can just make out that there are what appear to be withered trees filling most of the way down, making it difficult to simply fly down. It looks to be around a hundred feet deep, and the pit is about forty feet in diameter. The top third or so of the pit is clear, with the trees starting below that level.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaxon approaches the pit, peering down into it.

"We should descend with caution. The pit was guarded, but that does not mean the danger has passed. What is within could be far deadlier than without. The protections I placed upon us would protect us from the environmental dangers of The Abyss, including that green vapor above, but not if the mantle is suppressed by anti-magic."

He concentrates a bit, closing his eyes and reaching out with magical senses for danger and environmental conditions.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Using the Cantrips feat to produce the equivalent of a Detect Magic and Read Magic type of effect. Particularly looking for magical dangers and anti-magic fields.

19. - Top - End - #109

Rysn Ymeric
    Spoiler
    Show

Rysn was pleasantly surprised to see the swarm melt away as the company of heroes unleashed their magical wrath upon it. He approached the pit with the others, wincing slightly with the more shrill shrieks and howls then glanced down within, taking in the details. He coughed lightly, clearing the fetid air from his throat "Those trees will keep us from effectively flying during combat, but we should still be able to use magical flight to descend providing we move slowly and move carefully. I can enchant any who need it to allow them to fly down if needed." The elderly man turned his gaze on his companions in question then swept his cobalt eyes over the pit examining it for further magical energies in an attempt to discern any dangers that might be posed to the group. "I have to question the wisdom of simply strolling into a magical prison pit designed to hold beings of power that dwarf our own without any idea of how we would then get out, The One knows that swarm of ants could not have been the only deterrent keeping the prisoner from simply leaving."

Show

Examine the pit with Analyze Dweomer from Eyes of the Hawkguard veil.

If it would be of any value, switch veil sets to make a Knowledge check, taking 10. Result of 49 for most, 50 for K Arcana then switch back to Veil Set 1.

Analyze Dweomer

You can observe magical auras. Each round, you may examine a single creature or object that you can see as a free action. In the case of a magic item, you learn its functions (including any curse effects), how to activate its functions (if appropriate), and how many charges are left (if it uses charges). In the case of an object or creature with active spells cast upon it, you learn each spell, its effect, and its caster level.

An attended object may attempt a Will save to resist this effect if its holder so desires. If the save succeeds, you learn nothing about the object except what you can discern by looking at it. An object that makes its save cannot be affected by any other analyze dweomer spells for 24 hours.

Analyze dweomer does not function when used on an artifact.
    Last edited by Warlawk; 2023-06-26 at 04:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Seems we may need to enter this and get to the bottom to find our missing demon

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

With a peek down the hole, Ixen’Hesjing mutters ”Ya know, the whole ‘grow large, have everyone hop on, and teleport about a quarter of a mile’ plan is still available.” He then absentmindedly adds on ”Probably would get stopped by some sort of barrier though. I can’t imagine they’d allow teleporting to happen in a prison designed to hold demigods.”

He then roots around a bit in his belongings before pulling out an opaque brown bottle and a lump of clay. He actually says to the others instead of muttering to himself ”I can make a homunculus to scout ahead. It’d probably get disabled if there was an anti-magic barrier or something, yeah?”
    New job, who dis?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

"Agreed, if we don't have a plan on how to get out, our plan is basically make it up as we go."

Spoiler
    Show

immunity to fire
    low-light vision
    Immunity to dazzled
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The branches look too tightly woven to fly through. It looks like you will have to climb.

The detect magic spell detects and abjuration effect.
    The analyze dweomer effect reveals more, revealing that it is an antimagic field of great power.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Reiza Duneknight
    Slayer/Sentinel

we could jump together, I will cast feather fall on all of us

Actions: if everyone jumps together
    Cast Feather Fall
    Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Targets one Medium or smaller free-falling object or creature/level, no two of which may be more than 20 ft. apart
    Duration until landing or 1 round/level

Spell Points 29/31: use 2 for the spell, I think I can get everyone with 1 casting
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-07-01 at 04:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Rysn Ymeric
    Spoiler
    Show

Rysn was distracted examining the details of the spells holding together the prison pit and flinched slightly when Reiza's words sunk in "Ah, ahem, a Feather Fall would allow us to get down to the treeline but there is a powerful Anti Magic in place there and the landing could be a bit rough when the spell is suppressed. It seems we will have to physically climb down there." He glanced around the edges of the pit looking for any sort of ladder or at least irregularities in the pit wall that would better enable such a climb. "I ah, am not particularly good at climbing, to the point I fear that a fall would be inevitable if I tried it without a ladder or similar tool. Also, I worry deeply about our ability to climb back out, does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?"

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Ixen’Hesjing hums and says ”Ah yeah, I could probably manage it. A rope would be nice but that’s minor compared to the whole turning off all these neat items of ours.”
    New job, who dis?

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

while I have some rope as well, who is to say that some creature would not just come along and wither cut or out right take the rope, we are stuck with the same issue of how to get back up and that answer seems to be climb

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Somewhat annoyed at the flummoxing, Shakrat frowns and then sighs. "Very well then" he says as he begins to pull out spell regeants, oils, ungents, incense, and the like, creating a small ceremonial semi circle around him as he slowly knelt down, he groaned like an old man, but once he was down, he began reciting an extremely complex spell, his hands began the delicate somatic components, pulling at the weave golden strands of energy formed around him as he recited a prayer of power, the golden filaments of raw power formed a sphere of a miniature sun burning with the heaviness of power

"Oh great master, oh burning one, all things are incinerated in your gaze, I beseech you, grant us the power, insight, and ability to bypass this hurdle in our goal to rescue this prisoner."

Spoiler
    Show

Cast Miracle, burning 25k of my last wealth.

immunity to fire
    low-light vision
    Immunity to dazzled
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaxon looked around, taking note of his surroundings as he bore witness to the different styles of magician present in the current group.

Quite riveting, this one's style. He calls out to a deity to perform things for him in comparison to my own

"My own style is to prevent such obstacles from being woven as theyre created. I'm afraid I have nothing to circumvent such protections as these already in place. It has always been a teaching where I come from to not rely entirely on magical solutions specifically for reasons such as this. That said, I'm hopeful that The Burning Hate will help us here. I'll keep watch while you prepare your ritual. We are still within The Abyss, after all."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Shakrat goes to cast his spell. But suddenly a burning light fills his eyes, and all he can see is the image of a rope. The spell doesn't go off, and the gemstone remains present, not having gone off and disappeared like it would if the spell had been successfully cast. It is as if the Burning One didn't want to waste the spell on such an obvious choice of action.