New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Demons Run (IC) (MgT2e)

Day One, Ageres system, onboard the Vagabond Star

You have all recently mustered out of your respective careers and have chosen to move on to the next phases of your lives. As part of the next phase, you all coincidently have chosen to head to the world of Sequoyah, the capital of the Sequoyah sub-sector in the Clement sector. You have all boarded the Vagabond Star, a 200dt Jump Cutter reconfigured to act as a passenger liner. The Star has seen better days but was well suited to run the inter- sub-sector runs hauling passengers and cargo between systems. The Star has come out of jump in the Ageres system where it has limited permission to refuel from the system's gas giant. As the vessel approaches the gas giant to begin refueling, warning lights begin blaring throughout the ship. Something has gone wrong!
    Last edited by ybn1197; 2023-11-13 at 01:39 PM.
    Lily: What's happening?
    The Doctor: No idea. Do what I do; hold tight and pretend its a plan.

Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:00 pm EST till Mondays around 7:00 am EST.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: Demons Run (IC) (MgT2e)

Shelly

Hearing the Alarms echoing through, rushing to a nearby window computer console in an effort to both attempt see if anything was out there and to see what the computer said was happening

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Alburn’s hand instinctively drifts towards his hip, despite not having his holster. He decides to head towards his cabin to get his diplo vest and pack, waiting for an announcement to get more information

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gekko's furless skin wrinkles in protest as he looks around at the sound of the alarms. Thinking back to a multitude of events, the one that clicks to his mind is being stuck on a outpost, surrounded by enemy fire, unable to escape, having to hold off the enemy without reinforcements, for so long. He shakes his head, bringing himself back to the present and looks around for indicators for the cause of the alarm.
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

5. - Top - End - #5

Jase hears the alarm and immediately goes into mechanic mindset to start figuring out what was going on. He turns to the nearest computer terminal and tries to pull up diagnostics and investigate.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    mechanic+Int:(2d6+2)[4], if needed

6. - Top - End - #6

The ship is outfitted with four passenger modules allowing it to carry 6 passengers in each module (totaling 24 passengers). There is also a crew of four (Pilot, Astrogator, Engineer, and Steward.)

There are no networked computer terminals in the passenger modules (there are terminals however they are networked internally, essentially media servers) but there are computer terminals in the common area of the ship proper (#6 on the ship deckplan.) Jase heads to the common room where there are a few other passengers looking about in confusion and terror.

Shelly -> The only windows passengers have access to are in the modules and as I stated, there is no ship-based computer access on those terminals. Do you go to your stateroom and look outside the window or do you head to the interior common room for a computer terminal?

Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:00 pm EST till Mondays around 7:00 am EST.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gekko looks out the window for the moment, figuring the mass of people in the common room will crowd the one singular computer.

Intellect to observe [10] in dice roller
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2023-11-17 at 10:33 AM.
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

OOC: Well shelly would look out the window but , I would think that she has the knowledge to know that to get ship information she would have to goto a networked computer

Rolls as needed
    Look outside: Int (2d6)[2][1](3)
    Networked Computer: Electronics (Computers) 1 (2d6)[3][1](4) + Int (2d6)[6][5](11)

lousy rng, guess shelly does not see much in her haste.

edited
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-11-17 at 08:00 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Spoiler: Shelly
    Show

Taking a quick look outside the port window of her cabin, Shelly fails to see anything that may explain the cause for the alarms. Thinking it best to access the main computer in the common room, Shelly heads there to see one of the terminals occupied by a man who appears to be having as much success finding the source of the alarm as Shelly did from her cabin. Hopping on the other terminal (there are two), Shelly begins to see if she can hack past the firewall and access the ship's systems and find the source of the alarm.

Spoiler: GM Ruling
    Show
    Hacking into a Secure Computer Network: Formidable (14+) Electronics (computers) check (1D x 10 hours, INT). Hacking is aided by Intrusion programs and made more difficult by Security programs. The Effect determines the amount of data retrieved; failure means the targeted system may be able to trace the hacking attempt.

I took your Electronics (Computer) roll since it was the first roll. You then get a +1 DM for skill level and +1 DM for INT but the target was higher than the (5) you effectively rolled.

The terminal, in return for her efforts, simply flashes a black screen with a red alert emblazoned across it.

Spoiler: Alburn
    Show

Upon hearing the alarms, Alburn falls back into his well-hewn patterns and heads to his cabin to claim his gear. He moves with practiced ease past other passengers who have succumbed to panic and huddle together in the passages looking about for guidance and direction.

Spoiler: Gekko
    Show

Gekko staves off the temporary fear before it could grab hold of him. With military precision, he remembers his training; do not fear the unknown. Looking out the port window of his cabin, he doesn't see anything that raises the hair on his neck. There doesn't appear to be any smoke or discharge from the ship's engines nor anything from anywhere on this side of the ship that would indicate an attack by another vessel.

Spoiler: Jase
    Show

Trying to access the terminal, Jase is confronted with the same screen a woman at the other terminal is seeing, a black flashing screen with a red emblazoned warning. Despite his best efforts, he is unable to get the terminal to show him anything else of consequence.

Spoiler: Ship's Common Room
    Show

Standing in front of a terminal each, helplessness begins to grip Shelly and Jase. Neither is able to get any information from the ship's system and the handful of passengers in the common room are gripped with fear and an inability to get out of their way. One family huddles in the corner, hugging one another tight.
    Before another thing can be said or done, the iris valve between the common room and the crew section of the ship opens and the Steward walks calmly in. Putting on a brave face, he tells everyone to remain calm and proceed back to their cabins. The alert is a minor issue and the ship’s crew will have it resolved shortly. He turns to the terminal Shelly is standing at, smiles at her and nods to the terminal in a way that says he would like to access it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

shouting... Well I am getting nowhere with the computer here, this damn things bound to have a bridge, lets try to access that.

Shelly sprints towards the bridge
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-11-21 at 02:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gekko takes a deep breath before calmly but with purpose goes to the opposite side of the ship to observe the outside for any evidence of an issue.

(2d6+2)[12] to observe

"PORT SIDE OF THE SHIP LOOKS CLEAR, MOVING TO CHECK STARBOARD"
    Festival of Heroes:

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    shouting... Well I am getting nowhere with the computer here, this damn things bound to have a bridge, lets try to access that.

Shelly sprints towards the bridge
    You know from previous observation that the iris door out of the common room into the ship systems area is protected by a pass card. The steward carries the card on his person.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

(good to know)
    Shelly realizing that she had not seen the steward yet, immediately begins a strategic search, looking for the steward .

14. - Top - End - #14

(good to know)
    Shelly realizing that she had not seen the steward yet, immediately begins a strategic search, looking for the steward .
    I should have made a note that Ships Common Room was Shelly and Jase.

Quote Originally Posted by ybn1197 View Post
    Spoiler: Ship's Common Room
    Show

Standing in front of a terminal each, helplessness begins to grip Shelly and Jase. Neither is able to get any information from the ship's system and the handful of passengers in the common room are gripped with fear and an inability to get out of their way. One family huddles in the corner, hugging one another tight.
    Before another thing can be said or done, the iris valve between the common room and the crew section of the ship opens and the Steward walks calmly in. Putting on a brave face, he tells everyone to remain calm and proceed back to their cabins. The alert is a minor issue and the ship’s crew will have it resolved shortly. He turns to the terminal Shelly is standing at, smiles at her and nods to the terminal in a way that says he would like to access it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

<Retcon>
    Shelly seeing the steward walk in not believing for one second the story he is telling, but it does have the desired effect to get the others back into their rooms.
    When the steward nods at the console, shelly will stand aside slightly and to the back just far enough to view what the steward does, and hopefully gaining information from the computer as it relays information to the steward.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gekko stops trying to make it to the other side, seeing the Steward. He makes his way through the common area, dodging and weaving around the occupants almost like a little dance.

He settles down besides the Steward.

"Hello there Young man. Nice job you are doing there, pleasant calm voice, soothing demeanor. In thats smooth voice you could tell me whats actually happening, and not upset a soul, I've seen a few things I might have a solution"

(2d6+3)[6] recon for trying to get info outta the Steward
    (2d6+2)[7] unless its persuade
    Festival of Heroes:

17. - Top - End - #17

Spoiler: Ship's Common Room: Shelly, Gekko, and Jase
    Show

<Retcon>
    Shelly seeing the steward walk in not believing for one second the story he is telling, but it does have the desired effect to get the others back into their rooms.
    When the steward nods at the console, shelly will stand aside slightly and to the back just far enough to view what the steward does, and hopefully gaining information from the computer as it relays information to the steward.
    Shelly takes a step back and the steward smiles as he accesses a closed-network login prompt; entering his user ID and password. A systems screen comes up and he begins tapping on some icons. Before long, the blaring siren and flashing screens end and once again normalcy reigns in the common room. "There," he says turning to Shelly, "all taken care of." He then turns to address everyone in the common room. "Now if everyone would please return to their cabins, the crew will get this all resolved and worked out and we will be... on... our... way," the man slows upon seeing the large Aslan approaching. Gekko has seen this and dealt with this first-hand. The idea of other beings was a new one to humans still. In fact, most still lived and died without ever having first-hand contact with one. So steward's reaction was not something new to the felidoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Vibrtrar View Post
    Gekko stops trying to make it to the other side, seeing the Steward. He makes his way through the common area, dodging and weaving around the occupants almost like a little dance.

He settles down besides the Steward.

"Hello there Young man. Nice job you are doing there, pleasant calm voice, soothing demeanor. In thats smooth voice you could tell me whats actually happening, and not upset a soul, I've seen a few things I might have a solution"
    "He... hello," the steward stutters but only for a moment. Falling back on years of training and experience he regains his own trust in his presence. "Please return to your cabin, sir. The crew will have everything sorted in a moment and we will be back on schedule for refueling and then another jump." He puts on a smile but you can tell he is still a tad uncomfortable around you (Gekko).

Spoiler: Alburn
    Show
    The alarm blares through, though a mite bit more muted in your cabin than outside of it, for a few minutes and then the alarms stop with only the flashing red of an emergency and then that too ends. Outside your cabin you hear others returning to their own cabins.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

So Steward would you mind at least telling us what is going on, we are not your typical cruise passengers.

19. - Top - End - #19

AssassinGuy

Alburn relaxes somewhat, deciding to head to the common room to hopefully get more info on the cause of the alarm

20. - Top - End - #20

It's a quick walk for Alburn to get from his cabin to the common room and he takes mental note that the other passengers are all moving towards the cabins. Though still agitated, they appear to be slightly more calm now that the alarms have been turned off. Entering the common room, Alburn notices the room is all but empty. Near the iris valve door which leads to the crew section there are four people, 3 passengers and the ship's steward. Two of the passengers (a woman and an Aslen) are talking to the steward and the third man appears to be listening in on the conversation.

The steward appears to deflate like he has had enough with it all. He looks directly at Shelly and says in a slightly snarky way, "Unless you are qualified to work on a jump drive engine ma'am, you are no different than the other passengers and you really should proceed to your cabin and let the crew do what they need to do to get us back in working operation." At which point in time he raises his right arm and points at the iris valve door Alburn entered through just a minute before. Seeing Alburn, the steward lifts himself up on his toes and says, "Sir, please. We have already begun repairs and the issue will be resolved momentarily. Please return to your cabin and we will notify everyone when we have cleared everything. Thank you."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gekko grimaced as the stewards rebuke. The Visage of politeness was gone from the stewards face, he was stressed and worried.

"Steward, I do have some experience with jump drives, I'd gladly lend a hand to expedite the downtime."
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2023-11-30 at 01:12 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Gekko, I Think I can you lend a hand, I have some mechanical knowledge

23. - Top - End - #23

The steward looks at the three of you, kinda lets out a sigh and says, "Thank you all... really. But the engineer has it all under control. I will relay that we have passengers with experience to him in case he feels he needs an extra set of hands. But the best you can do right now is please return to your cabins. Let us get the work done and we can get the ship underway again." He look changes to that a parent who will brook no further discussion and is through with the conversation.

Realizing that continuing along this line will only create harsh feelings, you return to your cabins as the steward requested, if only to cool your heels and think of your next action should this be as bad as you fear. A couple of hours pass before it is early in the sleep cycle and there is a light knock at your cabin door. It is the steward and he says in a whisper so as to not disturb the other passengers, "The captain wants to see you in the main common room." He waves for you to follow him as he proceeds back to the common room where the captain is seated at one of tables with the others from your little group of earlier.

The captain looks at you with a grave look on his face. "As I'm sure you've worked out on your own, we've suffered a drive issue."

"A drive issue?!" a voice from the corner of the room says, "a bleedin' catastrophic failure is what it is! The jump drive is a multi-ton paperweight!" A man moves out of the shadows of the corner, he is wiping his hands on an already greasy, dirty rag. "The power plant has experienced a cascading failure as well. It's still functioning but I don't know how long I can keep it going. The maneuver drive is still working... for now," he adds with uncertainty.

The captain nods his head, "With that in mind, I have set course for Ageres itself, the only habitable planet in this forsaken system. It will take about 6 days for us to get there. I've been told you all have skills that might help us get through this mess."

24. - Top - End - #24

AssassinGuy

”How much do you about the planet? Atmosphere, landmass, potential hazards? And how long until we can expect another ship to come through the system?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gekko, bushing his face, listens as his blurry vision comes to focus.

"You've certainly got a lot on our plates. I wish we could have had an opportunity to help when the cascades were just starting to prevent things from getting worse. But now that we are welcome to assist, I'd be glad to take a look, see what an old agent can do."

He stands looking to the engineer.

"When you are ready"
    Festival of Heroes:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Captain if the powerplant is questionable do you have the resources on board for a solar sail? that in and of itself can provide power, while it is slow for propulsion, with the maneuvers drive it might make that 6 day journey a bit faster.

I will offer what skills I have to help with this situation that we now find ourselves in.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by PartyOfRogues View Post
    ”How much do you about the planet? Atmosphere, landmass, potential hazards? And how long until we can expect another ship to come through the system?
    The captain looks at Alburn but the face staring at him does not fill Alburn with confidence. "This planet is red-zoned but no one knows why. Long range scans show the surface is habitable. We have enough supplies on board that we should fair well once we land and if our communications are still operable, it shouldn't take too long for us to get help from someone. The planet is off limits but the gas giant has been cleared to all who can skim it for fuel."

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Vibrtrar View Post
    Gekko, bushing his face, listens as his blurry vision comes to focus.

"You've certainly got a lot on our plates. I wish we could have had an opportunity to help when the cascades were just starting to prevent things from getting worse. But now that we are welcome to assist, I'd be glad to take a look, see what an old agent can do."

He stands looking to the engineer.

"When you are ready"
    The engineer nods at Gekko and then looks to the captain. A nod is shared between the two and the engineer turns and heads towards the rear of the ship. "Come along," he says to Gekko. "No better time than the present."

Captain if the powerplant is questionable do you have the resources on board for a solar sail? that in and of itself can provide power, while it is slow for propulsion, with the maneuvers drive it might make that 6 day journey a bit faster.

I will offer what skills I have to help with this situation that we now find ourselves in.
    The captain gives Shelly a quizzical look. "Solar sail? Lass, there is a reason fair on this ship isn't outrageous. We don't have emergency low passage, we don't have a ship's launch and we certainly don't have the resources for a solar sail. Nice thought though. The Aslan seems to have some ability to work his way around the engine. What is it you two can assist with?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

well I can get around on a computer, sensors, astrogation, I can even pilot this craft or a smaller one if needs be.

29. - Top - End - #29

AssassinGuy

I’ve got some repair skills and know my way around a vacc suit, but otherwise I’m much more comfortable on solid ground

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gekko reports to the engines and begins an assessment of what can be done, picking up tools as he goes for when he might need them, but seems to put them down again at places they will be used, reorganizing according to his own mental plans.

(2d6+2)[11] (Engineering: Jump Drives)
    Festival of Heroes: