New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I knew a guy who was 10000% for real actually in a Kismiss with his wife of like 10 years and it was mutual on her end and they were both some of the most adjusted people I've ever seen despite everything this implies.

*looks expectantly from over the edge of my book*
    ...So there are two ways to take that statement.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Oh ok. So what is your plan if you're not using the card?
    I dunno yet. Would you recommend any non-coffee drinks from Starbucks? Maybe I'll stop by and get a juice or something.

Well, it is a arcade bar, so it's not JUST an arcade. It's also a bar, which is probably part of what helps it live.
    That makes sense. You get drunk and then, instead of throwing sharp things at a board, you mash some buttons instead. Probably way more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    They're definitely having a (niche) resurgence in my area. It's an obvious appeal to millennials and Gen Zs, who now have disposable income and want to relive the arcade experience -- but now, while drinking overpriced IPAs! Basically any larger city in the U.S. is gonna have at least a few.

It's not just retro games, either -- there are some recently-created arcade games like Killer Queen and DeathBall. DeathBall is actually a LOT of fun: fast, two-player goofy fun. I highly recommend playing it if you ever get the chance!

Killer Queen is good too, but it's a behemoth of a game and you need 10 relatively-evenly-matched players to make it really work. One person who's too good can really ruin the fun.

A marid in the campaign I'm running refers to all humanoid institutions, collectively, as "sandcastles."

As in, "oh, that's right, you were headed back to that little sandcastle up the coast!" (referring to Waterdeep).

He's not a jerk -- he's quite friendly, in fact. He just thinks of humanoid accomplishments like you or I would think of...well, a toddler's sandcastle. Good work, kiddo, but don't get too attached...the ocean always wins...
    Oh cool! I didn't know that. Didn't know that arcade games were still being made, too.

That's great. The sea will claim everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Well. I see you like to live dangerously.

Yep (oddly enough, the other islands also have men, though)! Wales and the Channel Islands are a myth, never the less. No such places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    United Kingdom

UNITED Kingdom

Let's just reconsider that, shan't we?
    So what you two are saying is that I should never talk about the UK, cuz if I do I'm gonna get punched one day.

I knew a guy who was 10000% for real actually in a Kismiss with his wife of like 10 years and it was mutual on her end and they were both some of the most adjusted people I've ever seen despite everything this implies.
    I wonder why they married. I feel like being enemies with benefits would work much better.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tailiu View Post
    that's great. The sea will claim everything.
    NOT IF MY PEOPLE HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT IT!

on your planet, draining your oceans

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    I dunno yet. Would you recommend any non-coffee drinks from Starbucks? Maybe I'll stop by and get a juice or something.
    I like the strawberry acai lemonade. Don't go to often (i never drink coffee), but they have good fast food breakfast sandwiches - that's the drink I get off I grab breakfast from them.
    So what you two are saying is that I should never talk about the UK, cuz if I do I'm gonna get punched one day.
    Well, probably just the Irish. I'm going to very be very short here to keep things apolitical, but there's a joke that the greatest British achievement in understating things was the name "The Troubles".

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    NOT IF MY PEOPLE HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT IT!
    I'll admit, your absolute resolution to defy the Gulf of Holland is impressive. In the next hundred years or two, Dutch technological advances may yet save us all.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

5. - Top - End - #95

I wonder why they married. I feel like being enemies with benefits would work much better.
    I mean, because they loved each other. Their love was just a burning hatred for each other that made them never want to exist without the other. Also married people get special benefits in many situations.

6. - Top - End - #96

I mean, because they loved each other. Their love was just a burning hatred for each other that made them never want to exist without the other. Also married people get special benefits in many situations.
    Most of which either shouldn't be linked behind a marriage(being able to visit your partner in a hospital) aren't locked behind marriage(being able to handle someone else's affairs) or shouldn't exist at all(spousal privilege is all kinds of bull**** when you think about it.)

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Also married people get special benefits in many situations.
    Another really compellingly done "toxic" marriage in my mind was one in Better Call Saul:

Spoiler
    Show
    Jimmy and Kim. I like how Kim's suggestion of marriage is so that she never has to testify against Jimmy for his misdeeds...but she's not leaving. His illegal activity isn't a deal-breaker for her, but she doesn't propose marriage out of love (though they do clearly care about each other quite a lot), but rather out of practicality.

And in the last season, we finally see her other reasoning: she likes it. She enjoys the thrill of a con and she and Jimmy feed off each other. It's a terrible dynamic that they both enjoy quite a bit...until things finally go completely sideways with Howard.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Firbolg in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Ionathus's Random Banter #249 -- Directionless Rambling Is Now Mandatory

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Most of which either shouldn't be linked behind a marriage(being able to visit your partner in a hospital) aren't locked behind marriage(being able to handle someone else's affairs) or shouldn't exist at all(spousal privilege is all kinds of bull**** when you think about it.)
    Agreed 100%. The institution should be retired and its various legal effects seperated into distinct entities.

There's simply no reason for it to exist
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-05-10 at 11:06 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Agreed 100%. The institution should be retired and its various legal effects seperated into distinct entities.
    To what end? If you're keeping the legal entities you've just made it more complicated.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #100

Abolishing marriage itself is a bit too far, but... In this day and age, marriage is just a piece of paper and maybe a fancy party.

Detaching some of the legal stuff that's gated behind it, either by removing it or else giving valid non-marriage ways to get it, would be a social good.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    To what end? If you're keeping the legal entities you've just made it more complicated.
    I mean they wouldn't be all bundled together.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-05-10 at 11:39 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly I can see an argument for separating the legal aspects of marriage from the other elements of it. In fact it's been my preferred solution for a while, although not everybody agrees with my.

...okay my actual preferred solution is a lot more radical, but it would also piss off far too many people to be worth it. My last serious attempt at a fantasy setting had poly marriages as standard, although admittedly it was explicitly in a secluded corner of a larger world
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I mean they wouldn't be all bundled together.
    I understood that, yes. My criticism stands.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Honestly I can see an argument for separating the legal aspects of marriage from the other elements of it.
    and from each other

EDIT:
    and only to he extent that they are needed at all
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-05-10 at 02:16 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

and from each other
    So what you're saying is, the marriage family should get a divorce?

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

16. - Top - End - #106

So, my cousin's kid's first IEP meeting happened today.

He's been previously diagnosed with autism, but today his teachers—not psychiatrists, teachers, insisted that he also has ADHD and oppositional defiant disorder and wanted him medicated ASAP.

The kid is four. People who lack the qualifications to make this judgment want to put a four-year-old on what are essentially controlled doses of hard drugs because he won't sit still in a way that's convenient for them.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #107

(spousal privilege is all kinds of bull**** when you think about it.)
    Actually, thinking about it makes it not all kinds of bull****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Another really compellingly done "toxic" marriage in my mind was one in Better Call Saul:

Spoiler
    Show
    Jimmy and Kim. I like how Kim's suggestion of marriage is so that she never has to testify against Jimmy for his misdeeds...but she's not leaving. His illegal activity isn't a deal-breaker for her, but she doesn't propose marriage out of love (though they do clearly care about each other quite a lot), but rather out of practicality.

And in the last season, we finally see her other reasoning: she likes it. She enjoys the thrill of a con and she and Jimmy feed off each other. It's a terrible dynamic that they both enjoy quite a bit...until things finally go completely sideways with Howard.
    I love BCS for so many reasons and yeah, that's one of them. They handled that relationship so well.
    Abolishing marriage itself is a bit too far, but... In this day and age, marriage is just a piece of paper and maybe a fancy party.
    Yeah, i don't understand at all why gay people fought so hard to get married, those crazy kids! Years and years of fighting against institutional discrimination just for a piece of paper and a party. What a funny entire ****ing community working for decades.

Or, conversely, your ideas on marriage is horribly wrong. I dunno, could go either way, the odds are like 50/50

18. - Top - End - #108

Yeah, i don't understand at all why gay people fought so hard to get married, those crazy kids!
    Because it was denied to them for unfair reasons. Practical value asside, marriage is a symbol. Being denied it for no valid reason is outrageous on principle.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #109

Because it was denied to them for unfair reasons. Practical value asside, marriage is a symbol. Being denied it for no valid reason is outrageous on principle.
    Again, you can certainly believe whatever you want to believe about marriage, but i can tell you right now the entire gay community didn't work for decades trying to get something denied to them only because it was a symbol and unfair. They fought for it because of all the practical value that married couples get. It is not "just a piece of paper and maybe a fancy party". They fought for it because separate-but-equal is never actually equal. They didn't fight for the symbol. They fought for the rights.

20. - Top - End - #110

Again, you can certainly believe whatever you want to believe about marriage, but i can tell you right now the entire gay community didn't work for decades trying to get something denied to them only because it was a symbol and unfair. They fought for it because of all the practical value that married couples get. It is not "just a piece of paper and maybe a fancy party". They fought for it because separate-but-equal is never actually equal. They didn't fight for the symbol. They fought for the rights.
    Here's the thing: Almost all of the practical value in a marriage... 1: Is not exclusive to marriage 2: Should not be exclusive to marriage 3: Is something more and more people nowadays are opting out of anyways(such as comingling assets) or 4: Shouldn't exist in the first place (being the one and only familial relationship/contract that can be used to refuse to testify in court.)

I ain't saying abolish marriage. I'm saying the practical stuff should be divorced form what amounts to something ceremonial.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2024-05-10 at 06:29 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

The kid is four. People who lack the qualifications to make this judgment want to put a four-year-old on what are essentially controlled doses of hard drugs because he won't sit still in a way that's convenient for them.
    Kids that age are generally little goblins of Chaos Undivided. I'd be more worried if they were sitting still.

Because it was denied to them for unfair reasons. Practical value asside, marriage is a symbol.
    If you ignore the meaningful bits everything is meaningless!

Being denied it for no valid reason is outrageous on principle.
    Hear hear! Let's end the monopoly the monogamous have on marriage!

No I don't want that telling match again, I'm just failing to be funny.

Show

22. - Top - End - #112

Here's the thing: Almost all of the practical value in a marriage... 1: Is not exclusive to marriage 2: Should not be exclusive to marriage 3: Is something more and more people nowadays are opting out of anyways(such as comingling assets) or 4: Shouldn't exist in the first place (being the one and only familial relationship/contract that can be used to refuse to testify in court.)

I ain't saying abolish marriage. I'm saying the practical stuff should be divorced form what amounts to something ceremonial.
    Your points 1, 2, 3, and 4 are all wrong.

Here's the thing. If you believe all that, then the solution is for you, specifically, to not get married. It is not for you to strip the rights and benefits of being married away from everyone else, especially those who fought for it to be legalized for them (eg interracial couples and LGBT+ couples).

The latter makes you the bad guy. You may not think it does, but it very much does. Let me be very clear on this - I have ZERO sympathy for anyone who thinks taking away the rights and priveleges of marriage for everyone (some of which can be recreated to various extents through other means, which will not recreate all of the benefits exactly, will not include other benefits at all, and will be more expensive, time-consuming, and complex) is all well and good just because they think it's "a piece of paper".

You want to think its a piece of paper, fine, you're perfectly free to not get it for yourself. You want to oppress others by stripping them of it? Hell no.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-05-10 at 06:41 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    If you ignore the meaningful bits everything is meaningless!
    Marriage is a ceremony. The "meaningful bits" should not be gated behind a ceremony to begin with.

Like, real talk: Marriage started out as essentially an exchange of property. Over time it became more something of political or religious significance, but we can't get into that in detail here, and in the modern day in the Western world it's mostly symbolic with the practical benefits there off being things that honestly have no basis for being attached to one specific contract in the first place. It's a remnant of an earlier era when marriage meant something different.

If those practicalities are divorced from the ceremony, then there's no reason why a couple who have been living together for ten years needs to get married to be able to comingle their assets, visit each other in the hospital, or be able to handle each other's affairs in an emergency. The only reason to get married should be "do you want to get married?"

Edit: Peelee? When did I say anything about taking rights away from individuals? On the contrary, divorcing those practicalities from the marriage contract means that more people will have the right to get those practicalities.

Furthermore, laws can not be applied retroactively, so everyone who already has those things would not lose them if laws were passed divorcing marriage from such things. People who already have it would be grandfathered in.

The only I believe should be taken away is a spousal privilege because I don't believe that two people who robbed a bank in Reno should be able to get out of being compelled to testify against each other if arrested by stopping in Vegas on the way to their hideout and the only way to do that without making marriage harder to get for everyone is to abolish that privilege.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2024-05-10 at 06:46 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #114

Marriage is a ceremony.
    This just underscores your issue here. You are conflating marriage and wedding. A wedding is a ceremony. A wedding is immaterial to marriage. You can easily be married without a wedding, and it happens every day in virtually every courthouse in America, and other countries.

The vast majority of countries, both modern and historical, have understood the value in having special right and priveleges for marriage. Rater disagrees. Can you please consider, for just a moment, that when a massive chunk of the entire human race across various cultures says one thing and you say "pft, I don't think so", that just maybe you're the one who's wrong?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-05-10 at 06:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Marriage is a ceremony. The "meaningful bits" should not be gated behind a ceremony to begin with.

Like, real talk: Marriage started out as essentially an exchange of property. Over time it became more something of political or religious significance, but we can't get into that in detail here, and in the modern day in the Western world it's mostly symbolic with the practical benefits there off being things that honestly have no basis for being attached to one specific contract in the first place. It's a remnant of an earlier era when marriage meant something different.

If those practicalities are divorced from the ceremony, then there's no reason why a couple who have been living together for ten years needs to get married to be able to comingle their assets, visit each other in the hospital, or be able to handle each other's affairs in an emergency. The only reason to get married should be "do you want to get married?"
    Irrespective of anything else, there are lots of practical reasons to have legalized standards for what happens to the property of the person you live with and comingle resources with should that situation ever change, as well as not forcing an intrinsically antagonistic relationship between two people who have little choice but to live together (ie testifying against each other).

Marriage isnt always a big wedding ceremony and whatever, there are plenty of ways and places to do it as literally just signing a contract already. People throw the parties and whatever because its exciting, not because its intrinsic to marriage.

26. - Top - End - #116

I am going to point out that you have missed my edit and be done with it.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Your edit demonstrates, as Peelee said, a fundamental misunderstanding of marriage. Its a contract. You can't not have those rights and benefits without a contract. Separating it from marriage is just renaming the contract, a particularly pointless hill to die on.

28. - Top - End - #118

I haven't, because despite what you think, that edit is wrong. Again, as already said, you cannot recreate all the rights and privileges of marriage without marriage. You can recreate some of them, can somewhat (but not fully) recreate others, and absolutely cannot recreate the rest. And even that is more expensive, time-consuming, and complex than marriage, without actually recreating the benefits identically. You've only made it harder and worse.

This is very simple. Your ideas on what marriage is are wrong.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-05-10 at 06:53 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119

Again, as already said, you cannot recreate all the rights and privileges of marriage without marriage.
    Why not?

You're saying that you can't do it, but what intrinsic property of the marriage, which may I remind you is something humans made up, not an immutable property of the universe, presents its practical benefits from being realized by other relationships or other contracts?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Why not?

You're saying that you can't do it, but what intrinsic property of the marriage, which may I remind you is something humans made up, not an immutable property of the universe, presents its practical benefits from being realized by other relationships or other contracts?
    Youre right, we could create a contract that is identical to marriage except we don't call it that. Why would we do that? We already have that contract!