New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Maximum luckmancy

What's the best way to make a Luckmancer?
    1. Halfling.
    2. Bountiful Luck (reaction: Let an ally reroll a 1)
    3. Lucky feat (3 rerolls per day)
    4. 2 levels of Diviner Wizard for Portent 2/day

What else is out there to control the roll of the dice with?
    -Strixhaven spells
    -Some Warlock patrons give save bonuses (Dark One's Own Luck, Celestial something). You could pair it up with Warlock EB spam with no real loss to the build aside from delayed Cha 20.

It feels like this should be a rogue build. Arcane Trickster gives spellcasting (benefits from Diviner), Mastermind gives BA Help to give party members free advantage... but Warlock seems to give more options for luck and manipulating the battlefield.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: Maximum luckmancy

I had a character along these themes, and I built her as a lore bard. Lore bard's cutting words can be reflavored as luck; knocking a dX off someone's roll is certainly unlucky for them! Silvery Barbs is also a fantastic candidate for such a character.

I would take Lucky over Bountiful Luck though, at least in order. I think you'll get more millage out of Lucky, as both rogues and bards like to use their reaction.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I had a whole party that did this once. It was pre-Tasha's, so we didn't have all the super nifty stuff, but it was loads of fun.

Five players, all Halfling with the Lucky feat. Three of us went pure Divination wizard. One went 2 Divination / X Lore Bard. The last went 2 Divination / X Tempest Cleric.

It was perhaps one of the silliest and most fun groups I've played in.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Toss in 7 lvls of Rune Knight, Storm rune lets you spend you reaction on giving Adv/dis and outside of the rune being activated you can force an attack that hit to reroll prof/long rest, you can also toss Cloud Rune in there for not exactly dicemancy but those cases when the enemy crits.
    Wanna try the homebrew system me and my friends play? It was developed by a friend of mine and all you need to play is found here

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Clockwork Sorcerer could be an alternative to divination wizard, by turning off adv/disadvantage when you don't want it.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Wild Magic Sorcerer has a couple of luck related features.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
    Yeah that’s what I was thinking. WM Sorc is even luck flavored, if that’s part of what’s being sought.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    What's the best way to make a Luckmancer?
    1. Halfling.
    2. Bountiful Luck (reaction: Let an ally reroll a 1)
    3. Lucky feat (3 rerolls per day)
    4. 2 levels of Diviner Wizard for Portent 2/day

What else is out there to control the roll of the dice with?
    -Strixhaven spells
    -Some Warlock patrons give save bonuses (Dark One's Own Luck, Celestial something). You could pair it up with Warlock EB spam with no real loss to the build aside from delayed Cha 20.

It feels like this should be a rogue build. Arcane Trickster gives spellcasting (benefits from Diviner), Mastermind gives BA Help to give party members free advantage... but Warlock seems to give more options for luck and manipulating the battlefield.
    One thing to keep in mind in a build like this is that some dice manipulation mechanics don't stack especially well with each other / are less than the sum of their parts. For example, Portent is a great ability, but it sets the die before seeing the roll, and reduces the number of important-poor-rolls-per-day that could stand to see correction.

And sure, Portent is just a couple rolls a day, but this sort of thing adds up when you start investing in twenty luck manipulations instead of one.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2024-05-14 at 01:58 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Divine Soul 1: Favored of the Gods is an easy win especially if you're already going into Cha classes for EB as your standard attack
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
    Wild Magic Sorcerer is tricky. Tides of Chaos is once per long rest, but also resets when you roll on the wild magic table. The problem (for many reasons) is that the wild magic table depends on the DM, but often you can ask the DM to just let you be in charge of that. You could potentially have as many Tides of Chaos as you have spell slots.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Chronurgy wizard works too. The 2nd level feature is not as certain as the divination one - it works a bit more like luck.

Having dunamancy gives access to Fortune’s Favor spell which is very like giving out luck points. It does cost 100gp per casting but that’s not a big issue at higher levels in most games.

The 14th level feature isn’t even dice manipulation any more it’s just choose to make something pass or fail which can be crazy but at least there is a trade-off