New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Permissible content in PbP Games

What content is allowed/not allowed in PbPs here? I'm specifically asking about the use of drugs by characters.
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Permissible content in PbP Games

The Mod Ogre: Hi! I would suggest starting with the forum rules.

If you search for "Inappropriate topics", you'll find that "Illegal Drugs" are explicitly noted as a forbidden topic.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Permissible content in PbP Games

Some helpful advice from a previous time this came up:

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Sheriff: What your characters do in-game is entirely fictional and not, generally, a problem. The main thing is to keep such discussions out of the Out-Of-Character threads. The other thing to stay on the right side of the line is to borrow a concept from games and other media involving graphic sexuality - fade to black. There's no reason that a character, even IC, needs to spell out exactly how to make a drug or exactly where (in a RL city) to buy a drug. Use some abstraction, generalization, and other narrative tools to avoid spelling out criminal activity too explicitly. And, as with all IC games, be sure that all the participants are on the same page about the content.

Now when it comes to discussing, say in the Roleplaying Games section, growing, producing, or selling drugs as a cash crop, that's probably not allowed. It's theoretically possible to discuss such a thing without discussing the real world, but practically speaking, a thread like that is going to cross the line so soon and so much, it'd probably be closed on sight. If the OP does a great job, that person might avoid violating the Forum Rules, but it's hard to imagine many responses that don't rely on the real world drug trade to answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    If I might offer a suggestion, it might be easier and better if in your fictional world you invent a new drug with a different name. In your world, it can operate in a similar way, but then it is not bound by people's expectations of real world knowledge, and further distances it from the real world.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex