New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: War of Shadows: Chapter 2

"I've got a bad feeling about this. Everything about this place feels wrong."
    Tabhain faoi na réaltaí. “Reach for the stars.”

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

"And yet there doesn't seem to be any magic in play." Elva looked around, the hurried down the path past the house. "Let's keep going."
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

The path soon begins turning into more of a road, and you pass by more houses in pretty much the same state, about 10 more minutes, you guys see a large wooden wall that stretches in both directions for quite a distance, though you are seeing a large gate standing wide open, but askew, half hanging off its hinges.

Guard towers flank the gate, but if you approach no one calls out to halt your progress, infact there's no sounds coming from anywhere still.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah rolled his right shoulder, the tiger tattoo there still somewhat raw. "There may not be magic in play, but this entire situation reminds me of that fourth temple. Especially cuz of that gate."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Elva approached the damaged gate, studying it carefully. "This is the first sign of things not being quite as they should... apart form the complete lack of any people or animals, of course."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

hard to tell exactly what damaged the gate, which itself looks sturdy and sound (and too heavy for either of you to lift without considerable help, but you can easily climb over it or crawl under it). Glancing into the town proper, you guys see with astounding clarity where any people might be. There are hundreds of skeletons scattered in various locations, some sprawled in front of the gate, some huddled in what might have been fear, clothing is of little help, most of the fabric clothing people might have been wearing has rotted beyond recognition. even the armor of those sprawled near the gate is rusty and falling apart.

a FAINT FAINT hint of magic is drawing your eye further inside the town, its not a large or powerful item, but its the only thing remotely putting off magic, though you can't see what it is just from the gate area.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah looked around in horror. "By the Ancestors! What happened here?!"
    After several moments of looking about, Josiah said, "Elva, whatever else needs doing, you and I must leave this place. Undisturbed... Now."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Elva took a step back, but was not as overcome as Josiah seemed to be. Whatever happened here was bad, but the state of the corpse also insulated her from the true horror. Skeletons were something she was somewhat used to. She was therefore surprised ar Josiah's insistence they leave. "Are you seeing something I'm not?" she asked. "Sure, what happened here was a tragedy but I'm not sending anything suggesting we're in accute danger."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Elva, I have heard terrifying stories from many bards about such scenarios. This doesn't end well if the adventurers disturb anything in these situations."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

"It's also our job to keep the sailors safe, so we need to know a little more about what happened here " Elva countered. "I'm going to take a little look around in there. Don't worry, I won't touch the bodies." Elva made for the gate, intend on tracking down the faint magical trace she'd found.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

You both manage to wend your way through town, finding more and more skeletons throughout town, some buildings closed tightly others the door looks like its been ripped off its hinges.

Elva, your magic tingly senses are point you towards the center of town, a large open market place type area, which is littered with more skeletons. Whats putting off the magic is almost obvious once you see it, a large stone chair sitting in the exact center of the square, another skeleton sitting atop it.

This skeleton, unlike the others, is sitting upright and proper, and you'd almost SWEAR it looks bored. Its sitting perfectly still and the chair itself is definitely putting off the magic aura, but there's a small item (necklace maybe, you won't be able to tell till your much closer to it) around its chest area.

The skeleton is that of either a large dwarf or a smallish human.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

"It's not necromancy." Elva notes with surprise as she approaches the chair. "It's some kind of illusion instead." She looks over the seated skeleton with interest, taking a closer look at the necklace as well. "There's a bit of magic on the necklace as well, some kind of evocation."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

the skeleton's jaw falls open (doesn't fall off, just opens), and a voice comes out of it, "What....who are you? What are you doing here?"

the necklace looks like a open palm with the chain its attached to attached to the fingers.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Elva was taken aback by the voice, but quickly recovered. "Ah, my apologies, madam. I am Elva, and recently landed on this island after a storm, and set out to explore it. It was not my intention to disturb you. IF you would be willing though, could you tell me something about this place?" She addressed the skeleton politely.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah quickly assumed a defensive combat posture when the skeleton's jaw dropped. He was not about to use words when fists would end up being needed. He was not about to let these bones reanimate and add his own to their number.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

while the skull doesn't move, Josiah you feel like its eyes are boring into you, "Threaten me not mortal child of the sister...." (will save Josiah only)

Elva, you get the same feeling, though the skull doesn't move the eyes seem to lock on you for a moment...." To answer your more polite question, this is my home; where you currently stand is my playroom. I don't often get visitors, so I shall amuse myself for the moment to answer your questions."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah replied, "I have heard this story before and I will not be added to your army of the dead without resistance until my last breath."
    Spoiler: Will Save
    Show

(1d20+9)[10]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

The skeleton's reply jolted Josiah out of his readiness. He turned, "You...?!"
    The monk's bowels and bladder voided in his horror. "No... Ancients send it's not true! No!! Elva, that's Shanturnia, the Chaotic Evil Ancient of the Sun! Her followers call her "The Flaming Lady". She is the ender of life, the bringer of endless night!"
    Josiah stepped back, and felt a bone crunch beneath his foot. Oh no...
    Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 2024-05-20 at 02:46 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

though there's no muscles to make the bone move, you SWEAR there's a smirk across the lips of the skeleton. "yes....you know of me.....and I don't much care for company...."

The sunlight brightens immensely forcing both of you to shade or close your eyes, though it lasts only a few seconds. When you reopen your eyes, the village you've been wandering through is empty, even of skeletons. The throne is still there and atop it sits a tall slender woman, her red hair so bright you'd almost think it was made of flame itself. She sits in a very relaxed posture, and what surprises you most is a child.....who can't be more than 2 years old sitting on the woman's lap, happy and contented, actually leaning against her, the woman's arm draped lightly around the child.

"now....I understand your vessel was damaged in my storm, I will not apologize for that, its more for my protection. Since I sense no ill will among you and the crew, I will permit you to tend what you need to make repairs and restore some of the rations. I do this so you may leave us that much sooner. I ask no payment other than one day granting me a favor in return at some point in your future. Tell anyone of this island and you shall have never-ending torment by my hand from the moment you leave your mortal forms, am I understood?"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah felt his bowels void themselves again at Shanturnia's words. He would be removed from the Brotherhood for being indebted -- even unwillingly -- to the Flaming Lady.
    "Hölle stoßen..." he muttered under his breath.
    Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 2024-05-20 at 03:09 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Elva gave the goddess a bow. "Of course. I will keep the secret and if you ever request it, I will return the favor in kind." she chose her words carefully. She acknowledged the debt as it was, but also set a boundary regarding what favors she'd grant in return. It would have to be proportional to what was given after all.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Josiah nodded, warily. "The secret kept, and such a favor in kind."
    I pray to every good Ancient that day never comes, he thought. In the darkest corner of his mind, Josiah knew this would exile him from the Order and see him to his grave.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

the woman nods and stands gracefully standing at just over 6 feet tall. the child squrims to get down and sticks her thumb in her mouth, the woman leads you out of the town and down the same path you came up, which is almost exactly the same but the houses are in horrible disrepair and falling apart. She leads you to the forest edge and picks the child up in her arms and whispers something to the child, who giggles sweetly, and begins mumbling something.

the air becomes that much hotter around you and the sun much brighter, but true to the woman's word, when your vision clears the ship floats in perfect repair upon the calm waves, every member of the crew looking around confused, the captain roaring for a headcount, before stalking over to the two of you. "what in the name of the 9 hells happened?!"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

"WE... explored and solved the immediate issue, Captain. It is for the best you don't ask further."
    Spoiler: Persuade
    Show

(1d20+1)[17]

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Elva deferred to Josiah's answer in the matter, but added a warning of her own. "If you ever run into an odd storm like that again, I suggest doing everything you can to avoid it, up to and including abandoning the journey. I doubt that what we did can save us a second time."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

The old captain seems to accept this story, nodding his head, "strange things travel these waters.....should see some of the things from the deeps we've found before...."

he curtly turns and roars for the ship to get underway as the shaken crew make haste to get the ship moving again.

a few hours later (much to everyone's surprise) you being to see land again, and at first the fear of the island is felt, before it quickly becomes obvious this is a port city (where you were headed to begin with, seems the woman wanted you gone even faster then planned since you're a day ahead of schedule.)

The port city is nearly empty of people (this was common when you were last through here due to the high heat of the day), but the captain is happy to see you gone. He'll be in port for a week at most if you need return fare (no one was certain how to get back since the trip was only paid one way), but says there's enough boats around to secure passage even if he isn't there and available.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

"I suppose we should look for the chieftain or a representative of the clan now." Elva looked around as she disembarked the ship. "Josiah, did your letter say anything about what we should do after arriving here?"

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

"No, at least I do not think it does." Josiah double-checked his letter. "No, it simply says to contact the [i]Wave Rider[/] to secure passage into the lands of the Bronze Dunes Clan.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, we're also a day early." Elva considered the situation for a moment. "Let's find an inn for tonight, and check the docks tomorrow to see if anyone has come to pick us up. If not, we can arrange our own transport."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

you don't find to many people wandering about this time of day, and you both quickly start to feel the hot dry air taxing you. You dip into the bar you found last time and after pleasantries (they remember you guys since you're not from around here you were quiet and respectful of the locals-only bar).

They rent you a couple of rooms for the night, and you sleep well, the cooler night air bringing out more "action" with singing, story telling, a couple of comedians that at points have you clutching your sides from laughing so hard. Overall it's a pleasant evening of relaxing.

Come the morning (hangover or not), at breakfast, you see a familiar halfling (I can't find his name but he led you out into the desert the last time), he seems not to spot you as he walks up to the bar and orders some food and drink.