New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

I always kind of assumed that the Brotherhood started out with fairly rational "let's keep the dangerous tech away from people" but spending most of their time underground talking mostly to each other turned them into a kind of a sect with a much more extreme approach to it.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    I always kind of assumed that the Brotherhood started out with fairly rational "let's keep the dangerous tech away from people" but spending most of their time underground talking mostly to each other turned them into a kind of a sect with a much more extreme approach to it.
    The Brotherhood started out as basically just...the US military, in Fallout 1. The original Maxson found out about the FEV experiments that were resulting in the Super Mutants and deserted the army after killing the mad scientists responsible.

The more zealous "take and hold all technology at any costs" factions popped up after the disasters with The Master and the Enclave showed that people were just gonna keep misusing technology. And even then they were mostly concerned with just eradicating Super Mutants.

It's unclear when they went from a genuine military organization to kind of "believing their own hype" with the Arthurian trappings.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    The more zealous "take and hold all technology at any costs" factions popped up after the disasters with The Master and the Enclave showed that people were just gonna keep misusing technology. And even then they were mostly concerned with just eradicating Super Mutants.
    Yeah, maybe you're right. I remember them being super-isolationists in Fallout 1, but maybe they weren't as extreme about tech at that point. Though at the very least they weren't into sharing their technology at that point.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    to be fair, as a non-fallout nerd, i do feel like "True" brotherhood ideology is a bit strange. They collect and hoard tech, and then just kind of... sit on it?
    Honestly, given how warped so many other factions in Fallout are, even the "true" Brotherhood isn't that outlandish. When you've got belief systems like the Children of Atom or Caesar's Legion running around, even just The Enclave's general moustache-twirling totalitarianism, then The Brotherhood's philosophy looks downright sensible in comparison. "Misuse of tech caused the apocalypse, therefore we should protect tech from further misuse" is a pretty believable motivation.

Plus, I like how it adds a wrinkle to the "morality" dichotomy. The Brotherhood (excepting the D.C. chapter) aren't interested in hurting or helping others: their decision-making happens on an entirely separate axis. That makes for fun moral dissonance and complicated decisions, at least if the writers know what to do with it.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2024-05-16 at 10:17 AM.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Hot take: Enemy of the State, a 26-year-old film that heavily relies upon cutting edge tech of the time, has not aged at all.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

6. - Top - End - #426
    Colossus in the Playground

Here's one: I hate gravy. Disgusting in almost every instance I've ever had of it. Also don't like turkey either.

7. - Top - End - #427

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Here's one: I hate gravy. Disgusting in almost every instance I've ever had of it. Also don't like turkey either.
    What about sausage gravy, a la biscuits and gravy? Some British kids had some opinions on it.

8. - Top - End - #428

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    What about sausage gravy, a la biscuits and gravy? Some British kids had some opinions on it.
    Also disgusting, doubly so due to sausage. It depends on the sausage of course but most of them turn my stomach.

9. - Top - End - #429

Also disgusting, doubly so due to sausage. It depends on the sausage of course but most of them turn my stomach.
    You are entitled to your opinion, but you are wrong.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I think you need to clarify what you mean by "gravy". There's packets of... stuff you can buy from a supermarket to make something called gravy. There's gravy made firsthand from the juices of roast meat. And then there's whatever the heck is that godsforsaken brew that the Americans like to put on what they equally outrageously miscall "biscuits".

Or do you hate all of them equally? I could understand that.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

11. - Top - End - #431

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    You are entitled to your opinion, but you are wrong.
    Hey, I DO like some sausage. Some, like breakfast sausage, makes me physically unwell. I think it is probably the pork.

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I think you need to clarify what you mean by "gravy". There's packets of... stuff you can buy from a supermarket to make something called gravy. There's gravy made firsthand from the juices of roast meat. And then there's whatever the heck is that godsforsaken brew that the Americans like to put on what they equally outrageously miscall "biscuits".

Or do you hate all of them equally? I could understand that.
    I've never had a gravy I've liked, from packet to roast-juice to the goopy stuff. The only only only time I've enjoyed gravy is on poutine and that feels like, cheating.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I found this video fascinating because I have never seen American "breakfast biscuits" before, just read about them.

Now, I can understand not calling "cookies" "biscuits" (which is what they were always called in the UK when I was a kid - US language influence has dragged it so they are more likely to be called "cookies" now) as they don't fit the definition of 'biscuit' ('baked twice'), but I assumed that American English (which often has better links to the past than British English) having got that one right would be getting "breakfast biscuits" right too!

So USA have a point for not calling cookies biscuits, but lose one for calling breakfast "biscuits" biscuits.

As for the comments on the appearance of "sausage gravy" (I haven't had time to watch the full video to see if it explains what it is) - some British kids need exposure to white sauce, which is what it looked like to me!

13. - Top - End - #433

Americans like to put on what they equally outrageously miscall "biscuits".
    Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    I found this video fascinating because I have never seen American "breakfast biscuits" before, just read about them.

Now, I can understand not calling "cookies" "biscuits" (which is what they were always called in the UK when I was a kid - US language influence has dragged it so they are more likely to be called "cookies" now) as they don't fit the definition of 'biscuit' ('baked twice'), but I assumed that American English (which often has better links to the past than British English) having got that one right would be getting "breakfast biscuits" right too!

So USA have a point for not calling cookies biscuits, but lose one for calling breakfast "biscuits" biscuits.
    There was a Brit once who rightly observed, "would a rose by any other name not smell as sweet?"

Frankly, i don't much care what it's called. It's delicious. And y'all should also try tomato gravy. Tasty stuff.

Also, Khedrac, if you ever come stateside anywhere near me i will absolutely take you to some good southern foods!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2024-05-17 at 08:09 AM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Firbolg in the Playground

Inconsequential hot take: "plot hole" has become a catch-all term for any minor flaw or inconsistency in a story, instead of a hole in the plot.
    Hot take: Calling things "plot holes" is a deus ex machina!

Actually quite cold take: "Deus ex machina" has become a catch-all term for any minor flaw or inconsistency in a story.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Also, Khedrac, if you ever come stateside anywhere near me i will absolutely take you to some good southern foods!
    Thank-you for the offer, not sure if it will ever happen though - the only time I have been out of Europe was a family holiday to Istambul (so crossed in and out) back in 1986 or 87!

16. - Top - End - #436

Thank-you for the offer, not sure if it will ever happen though - the only time I have been out of Europe was a family holiday to Istanbul
    Not Constantinople?

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Not Constantinople?
    Istanbul, not Constantinople.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #438

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Istanbul, not Constantinople.
    Why did Constantinople get the works?

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Why did Constantinople get the works?
    That's nobody's business but the Turks.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #440

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    That's nobody's business but the Turks.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441

Not Constantinople?
    I think you mean Byzantium.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

1986 (when Khedrac visited) may seem a long time ago, but that's just yesterday compared with the full history of the city on the Bosporus.

23. - Top - End - #443

Byzantines might not be giants. And definitely not four lads.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Firbolg in the Playground

The gravy that gets put on biscuits is typically made by cooking sausage, forming a roux with the drippings, and then using it to thicken milk. The sausage is then added back in.

Aside from the packet stuff, almost all gravies I have ever seen are made the same way: use ground grain and fat to thicken a sauce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    The gravy that gets put on biscuits is typically made by cooking sausage, forming a roux with the drippings, and then using it to thicken milk. The sausage is then added back in.

Aside from the packet stuff, almost all gravies I have ever seen are made the same way: use ground grain and fat to thicken a sauce.
    It's surprising how the different methods of making effectively the same thing matter.

Here in the UK to make "normal" gravy the base method is, of course, to start with the juices from roasting meat.
    For many years the shops have sold products to assist with the process. The main two are "gravy granules" and "gravy powder" (others exist).
    The main difference appears to be that granules produce a thicker gravy that is more complete on its own, gravy powder really needs the addition of more material (such as meat juices) to make a decent gravy, but still essentially does the same job.

So what? Well I am allergic to soya, and nearly all of the gravy granules contain soya while I am yet to find a gravy powder that does - so for me the various gravy powders are the only way to go...

But for proper gravy starting with meat juices is the best way to go. (And adding the water from any boiled vegetables rather than a kettle - why lose the vitamins that have been boiled out of the veg?)

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

(And adding the water from any boiled vegetables rather than a kettle - why lose the vitamins that have been boiled out of the veg?)
    I'm no chemist, but my understanding is that boiling doesn't merely draw vitamins out into the water, but actually destroys them. So - you're not getting those back, sorry.

But there should be some decent flavour in that water. And of course it's always a bit gratifying to save a resource, even a dirt cheap one like tap water, by reusing it.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

It's surprising how the different methods of making effectively the same thing matter.

Here in the UK to make "normal" gravy the base method is, of course, to start with the juices from roasting meat.
    For many years the shops have sold products to assist with the process. The main two are "gravy granules" and "gravy powder" (others exist).
    The main difference appears to be that granules produce a thicker gravy that is more complete on its own, gravy powder really needs the addition of more material (such as meat juices) to make a decent gravy, but still essentially does the same job.

So what? Well I am allergic to soya, and nearly all of the gravy granules contain soya while I am yet to find a gravy powder that does - so for me the various gravy powders are the only way to go...

But for proper gravy starting with meat juices is the best way to go. (And adding the water from any boiled vegetables rather than a kettle - why lose the vitamins that have been boiled out of the veg?)
    Urg. Gravy granules and powder are as to gravy as instant coffee is to coffee at the very best, often much worse.

I'm no chemist, but my understanding is that boiling doesn't merely draw vitamins out into the water, but actually destroys them. So - you're not getting those back, sorry.

But there should be some decent flavour in that water. And of course it's always a bit gratifying to save a resource, even a dirt cheap one like tap water, by reusing it.
    There's some flavour in it, vitamins or no, I agree it's unfortunately probably not.

For gravy, roux all the wey. Butter or marg. are inferior to meatfat, but far ahead of powdered gravy.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

28. - Top - End - #448

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Urg. Gravy granules and powder are as to gravy as instant coffee is to coffee at the very best, often much worse.
    Inconsequential hot take for me, unbelievably consequential for some people: coffee is overrated.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

Inconsequential hot take for me, unbelievably consequential for some people: coffee is overrated.
    This reminds me of a potentially hot take of my own, namely that good coffee is kinda overrated. Or rather that I can't really tell the difference between the cheap instant kind and the fancy expensive kind. As long is it's black and roughly the right temperature, it's pretty much the same to me.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2024-05-20 at 09:07 AM.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    This reminds me of a potentially hot take of my own, namely that good coffee is kinda overrated. Or rather that I can't really tell the difference between the cheap instant kind and the fancy expensive kind. As long is it's black and roughly the right temperature, it's pretty much the same to me.
    The big determiner for good coffee for me is whether I can drink it black. Okay coffee needs a little milk, or cream and sugar. Good coffee is flavorful and smooth enough to drink with nothing in it.

If you add milk to good coffee, it just tastes like okay coffee.