New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: The Wreck of the Harmonious Spirit (OOC D&D 3.5)

Is this an optional or mandatory battle? It feels railroady when it drops in the middle of our character's conversation.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2024-05-15 at 11:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Is this an optional or mandatory battle? It feels railroady when it drops in the middle of our character's conversation.
    I believe there is something of a time dilation effect where the conversations are, is before this fight with the big cats

@GM I would actually agree with the ( railroady ) and recommend that the "Big Cat" fight be postponed until all of the conversation stuff has finished unless it is your intent to have that interrupted by the fight
    Last edited by samduke; 2024-05-16 at 06:47 AM.

3. - Top - End - #213

I have no strong opinion either way, so all I'll say is the reminder that Utra is accidentelly-dropped-my-Shugenja-into-the-storm-drain-sized is appreciated (not to mention amusing to me).

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    I believe there is something of a time dilation effect where the conversations are, is before this fight with the big cats

@GM I would actually agree with the ( railroady ) and recommend that the "Big Cat" fight be postponed until all of the conversation stuff has finished unless it is your intent to have that interrupted by the fight
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I have no strong opinion either way, so all I'll say is the reminder that Utra is accidentelly-dropped-my-Shugenja-into-the-storm-drain-sized is appreciated (not to mention amusing to me).
    My goal in game is to create a dynamic world where the players can respond in any way to events happening around them. In the beginning, the party had the option to leave Taknorogan chained up. In the same way the party does not have to take part in this encounter. There will be different consequences depending on the party's action or inaction. Players can side with anyone, you could choose to shoot the elk. I do my best to never tell players what to do, only to describe what is happening around them. Because of Djin's high survival role, this encounter is optional. No one is in danger, the predators are completely unaware of the party.

Out of game, apologies for the inadvertent railroading. Continue any and all conversations, the fight outside will not advance until all that was said is written. This fight, far from being random, was destined from the beginning. By saving the megaloceros the party can gain a mount and pack animal, or alternatively by killing it could gain an enormous weight of fresh meat. The party could even potentially turn a pride of sabre-toothed cats to their side. Or do nothing. I appreciate the feedback, I will adapt to the pace of the players.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

@gm
    all good on postponing the big cat fight

when everyone is at that point they can respond to the kicking of the rocks and arrows being shot and then drop into regular initiative - or surprise round if applicable

and then when we go into the regular rounds @GM can you just post something like round 1 and who is up - thanks

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    @gm
    all good on postponing the big cat fight

when everyone is at that point they can respond to the kicking of the rocks and arrows being shot and then drop into regular initiative - or surprise round if applicable

and then when we go into the regular rounds @GM can you just post something like round 1 and who is up - thanks
    Works for me

7. - Top - End - #217

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CircleNavigator View Post
    My goal in game is to create a dynamic world where the players can respond in any way to events happening around them. In the beginning, the party had the option to leave Taknorogan chained up. In the same way the party does not have to take part in this encounter. There will be different consequences depending on the party's action or inaction. Players can side with anyone, you could choose to shoot the elk. I do my best to never tell players what to do, only to describe what is happening around them. Because of Djin's high survival role, this encounter is optional. No one is in danger, the predators are completely unaware of the party.

Out of game, apologies for the inadvertent railroading. Continue any and all conversations, the fight outside will not advance until all that was said is written. This fight, far from being random, was destined from the beginning. By saving the megaloceros the party can gain a mount and pack animal, or alternatively by killing it could gain an enormous weight of fresh meat. The party could even potentially turn a pride of sabre-toothed cats to their side. Or do nothing. I appreciate the feedback, I will adapt to the pace of the players.
    Thanks for slowing down. The day seems to accelerate beyond our pace that kind of cause the mismatch of timelines.

8. - Top - End - #218

We are waiting for Skar, right?

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    We are waiting for Skar, right?
    Wait... are we?
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

10. - Top - End - #220

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Breitheamh View Post
    Wait... are we?
    Ya. Wondering why it was quiet.

11. - Top - End - #221

Meanwhile, I rolled some Knowledge stuff to properly neutralize Taknorogan as a threat over in Dice Rolling, but that's the music of the future. It's not like he'll be unbound before Surreth comes back. I think we are all set.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Great question! Do I know of a traditional Druidic binding that would hold Taknorogan to his word?

Knowledge Nature? (1d20+14)[20]
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

13. - Top - End - #223

AssassinGuy

Do we need knowledge check for metal armor being druid weakness or is that common knowledge?

14. - Top - End - #224

Do we need knowledge check for metal armor being druid weakness or is that common knowledge?
    It doesn't have to be either. We have a Druid of our own! He just knows, as any given character knows about how those class features on that sheet work.