New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Feast of Dust re-recruitment PF1E mid level game

I am looking for a few replacement players for the Feast of Dust adventure module. I still have two players from the existing game, but could do with three or even four others. The game is level 11 at this stage, but you should be leveling up soon.

Here are the links to the existing game threads. I don't have the links to the original recruitment threads, as this game has recruited twice already now, but that was quite a while ago and the forum has deleted them for being too old.

The existing game has been on hiatus for the last three months, as I had a medical episode that caused me to either pause or end most of the many games I was running. But I have decided that I can run a second game, so at the request of my existing players I will pick back up on this one.

If you have any questions please let me know and I will get straight onto them.

OOC Thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...-Feast-of-Dust

IC thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...ast-of-Dust-IC

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Pathfinder 1st Edition
    2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Published Module: Feast of Dust. It is a desert setting.
    3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    3-4 top up players, as I already have two players returning.
    4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    The forums right here.
    5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Level 11, though soon you will level up, and by the end of the module you will be Level 14.
    6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Standard WBL, so 82,000gp.
    7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    I dislike the Occultist classes, so avoid those. Other than that go for it.
    8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Any Common or Uncommon race.
    9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    As the original creation rules I set are lost to the ether, I will use what I normally go for. So 1d8+10 seven times, drop the lowest. Then repeat the entire process again, and choose the best set to us. Hit Points are set to maximum per level.
    10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    You are heroes, so try not to use anything too evil. Make sure you can work with others.
    11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Multiclass at will.
    12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    I will roll all of mine and your secret rolls, you can roll as you feel appropriate.
    13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Spheres material is allowed, if you want anything else from the Spheres page please let me know.
    2 Traits
    No Leadership effects. You are supposed to be the heroes, not your sidekicks.
    No Elephant in the Room rules.
    Let me know if I have forgotten anything.
    14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Keep it skirt length. You got to eleventh level somehow, explain how. This is your writing sample, but keep it to three or four paragraphs. I don't require a novel.
    15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    As a published module it will have a bit of everything.
    16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    You can use Path of War, Dreamscarred Press's psionics, or anything first party from the PFSRD. You can also use SPheres of Might or Spheres of Power. FOr anything else just check with me first. If you are unsure, please ask and I will let you know if it is allowed. As a published module it tends to be on the easy side for veteran players, so there is no need for cheese. It will be low optimisation.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2024-05-22 at 11:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Feast of Dust re-recruitment PF1E mid level game

What are the character classes? Am at work an would help.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Interested. Since there is a frontliner and healer, I will go ranged.

Spoiler: Set 1
    Show
    (1d8+10)[12]
    (1d8+10)[14]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[15]
    (1d8+10)[17]
    (1d8+10)[13]

Spoiler: Set 2
    Show
    (1d8+10)[14]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[17]
    (1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[12]
    (1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[13]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

I didn't realize this was starting again! Can I just continue with my existing character?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

paradox26, may I apply or do you want new blood?

I noted that CasualViking has a Spheres build, but of course it's within your prerogatives to say "no" for future builds.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d8+10)[16]
    (1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[15]
    (1d8+10)[14]
    (1d8+10)[16]
    (1d8+10)[15]
    (1d8+10)[13]

(1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[14]
    (1d8+10)[14]
    (1d8+10)[14]
    (1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[14]

I might go for a Harbinger, Ravenlord or Grim Rider. A cursed nobleman.
    Last edited by namo; 2024-05-22 at 05:30 PM.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Oh, I would like to join.
    For every battle lost, there is a battle won.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Show

(1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[17]
    (1d8+10)[15]
    (1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[17]
    (1d8+10)[18]

Show

(1d8+10)[16]
    (1d8+10)[15]
    (1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[16]
    (1d8+10)[16]
    (1d8+10)[11]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I have been trying to return to PF 1e for a bit, and had an idea for a mercenary captain as a Dashing General cavalier. While I don't quite know the whole plot of the module I imagine having such resources would be good for any group. :D

Show

(1d8+10)[15]
    (1d8+10)[17]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[12]
    (1d8+10)[15]

Show

(1d8+10)[15]
    (1d8+10)[16]
    (1d8+10)[17]
    (1d8+10)[16]
    (1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[15]

Edit: Seems the dice gods were with me :D
    Last edited by hand ax ranger; 2024-05-22 at 04:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFinchy View Post
    Schlub brotherhood! *High fives* We're gonna get somebody killed, one of these encounters.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

I will drop some interest in this lets see what the dice gods say

set 1:
    (1d8+10)[15]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[17]
    (1d8+10)[12]
    (1d8+10)[12]
    (1d8+10)[11]

set 2:
    (1d8+10)[15]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[15]
    (1d8+10)[11]

edit
    and the dice gods are with someone else
    Last edited by samduke; 2024-05-22 at 03:34 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by namo View Post

I noted that CasualViking has a Spheres build, but of course it's within your prerogatives to say "no" for future builds.
    I do indeed. Rules seem to have changed. I could rebuild into Path of War, but... since I'm only using Might, not spherecasting, my character is much more of a "normie" than a PoW character.
    Semper ludens.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm itching to try a Chronicler of Worlds archetype bard, which is a bard who uses intelligence instead of charisma. I could also see myself taking a 2-level dip in mindchemist alchemist to really have extra-high knowledge checks. Are there any particular knowledge skills that will be particularly useful in this module?

(1d8+10)[17]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[16]
    (1d8+10)[14]
    (1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[12]

(1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[14]
    (1d8+10)[14]
    (1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[15]
    (1d8+10)[15]
    (1d8+10)[12]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

(1d8+20)[21]
    (1d8+20)[21]
    (1d8+20)[21]
    (1d8+20)[27]
    (1d8+20)[26]
    (1d8+20)[22]
    (1d8+20)[28]

(1d8+20)[25]
    (1d8+20)[21]
    (1d8+20)[23]
    (1d8+20)[21]
    (1d8+20)[25]
    (1d8+20)[21]
    (1d8+20)[23]

Let's see...
    Edit: ffs didnt notice the mistype when i copypasted. Well I guess it's not completely wrong i just need to subtract 10 from those :/

Edit 2

18/17/16/12/11/11

15/15/13/13/11/11

Guess that's an easy choice
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2024-05-22 at 04:09 PM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I was also going to make a bard, as it sounds fun, but I’ll change if you want to make one.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

So how do we feel about the leadership feat, particularly seeing as I am going for the Daring General Archetype.

And on that note, while the special rules for that archetypes says all the followers should be warriors I do think having "Camp aides" would be make the most sense as well. Fletchers, armorers, scribes, etc. Then again warriors with these sub-specialties would make sense to I guess lol.
    Schlub brotherhood! *High fives* We're gonna get somebody killed, one of these encounters.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Paddywagon Man View Post
    I didn't realize this was starting again! Can I just continue with my existing character?
    You are most welcome to continue where we left off. So that leaves two to three slots available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiro_Nogard View Post
    What are the character classes? Am at work an would help.
    I don't have a current list of the existing players builds, but I have requested them send me one, and as soon as I know what they have I will update this thread with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by namo View Post
    You are most welcome to apply.

I might go for a Harbinger, Ravenlord or Grim Rider. A cursed nobleman.
    I had thought I had banned Spheres, but that isn't the case. So **Important news for everyone** Spheres of Power and Spheres of Might are allowed. My mistake. I lay a curse on the system for deleting recruitment threads after only three months.
    Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    I do indeed. Rules seem to have changed. I could rebuild into Path of War, but... since I'm only using Might, not spherecasting, my character is much more of a "normie" than a PoW character.
    I just updated the 16 to reflect that I did in fact originally allow SoP and SoM. No need to rebuild your character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    I'm itching to try a Chronicler of Worlds archetype bard, which is a bard who uses intelligence instead of charisma. I could also see myself taking a 2-level dip in mindchemist alchemist to really have extra-high knowledge checks. Are there any particular knowledge skills that will be particularly useful in this module?
    Knowledge Religion will be the most useful of the knowledge skills for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by hand ax ranger View Post
    So how do we feel about the leadership feat, particularly seeing as I am going for the Daring General Archetype.

And on that note, while the special rules for that archetypes says all the followers should be warriors I do think having "Camp aides" would be make the most sense as well. Fletchers, armorers, scribes, etc. Then again warriors with these sub-specialties would make sense to I guess lol.
    I just updated the 16 to reflect this ruling. No Leadership will be allowed, or anything similar to it. You can roleplay as having servants, but they won't be with you during the game.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paradox26 View Post
    I just updated the 16 to reflect this ruling. No Leadership will be allowed, or anything similar to it. You can role-play as having servants, but they won't be with you during the game.
    Aww well that's a bit disappointing, seeing as that killed the "Captain" part of "Mercenary Captain" right out unless you don't prevent hirelings (which the "or anything similar" seems to indicate but hey maybe I'm wrong). Still, A Mercenary Cavalier (or whatever class I go for now) can't be the wrong way to go in any case and the skills I already started building around can't possibly be useless.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sorry about that. The storyline is that you have made your way by caravan to a small desert village to investigate reports of a strange disease which is affecting people. There isn't really room for more than a handful of people to be in the village.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Spheres being on the table makes for some neat possibilities~

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry about that. The storyline is that you have made your way by caravan to a small desert village to investigate reports of a strange disease which is affecting people. There isn't really room for more than a handful of people to be in the village.
    Oh, well then at least there is a reason for it then :D

But yeah my idea for the Mercenary Cavalier still fits well into this then, as he'd have a connection to these lands enough to speak the tongue and know the right means to have heard about this place. As to why specifically he is here? I don't yet now. Maybe there's already someone paying for him to seek and resolve this, maybe this is a move to boost his notoriety, or maybe he's figuring that someone here has got to be willing to pay a capable sell-sword to solve this problem.

And technically speaking there isn't anything stopping him for having been/still currently being a Captain of his own.... they're just not here, probably a combination of logistics, particular requests and just "it being the off season." Or they've been disbanded.

The skill that one would have from such would no doubt be of use in any case so he'll just have to be the "one man company" here

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That was what I was thinking you might choose to do. A mercenary captain who has traveled without his company to perform an investigation. Would work well.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

I will never turn down the chance to roll. I'm very much into Unchained Rogue but we'll see.

(1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[16]
    (1d8+10)[14]
    (1d8+10)[17]
    (1d8+10)[12]
    (1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[14]

(1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[15]
    (1d8+10)[16]

Second set it is, then. 18 / 18 / 16 / 15 / 13 / 13 is a very nice set to work with.

My character is nearly mechanically finished. Just a little bit of gold left to spend, really.

I'm thinking she is a bandit, the sort of person who ekes out a living in the desert wastes by politely relieving merchant caravans of their valuables, but she started to notice a lot of people fleeing into the desert. A bit odd considering how deadly and dangerous the desert is and how quickly it will claim the unprepared.

The whole point of operating out in the desert is only the very greedy or desperate would ever venture through such dangerous lands and all this attention drawn by those apparently cursed by the Feast of Dust will affect business so, of course, she has a vested interest in finding the source of the curse and ending it.

The instigating incident will be that someone in her crew or gang had seemingly become afflicted by this curse too, so they had to put him down before he infected anyone else. This makes this whole thing rather personal for her, since she did like him. He was family, you know?
    Last edited by Infernally Clay; 2024-05-23 at 05:06 PM.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Alright, let's see how these rolls go.

Spoiler: Rolls 1
    Show
    Set 1:

(1d8+10)[16]
    (1d8+10)[16]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[14]
    (1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[17]

Spoiler: Rolls 2
    Show
    Set 2:

(1d8+10)[17]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[14]
    (1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[13]

So, questions. Since Spheres of Power and Might are on the table, what about Spheres of Guile? Also, are Akashic contents okay (both the veilweaving sphere and regular psionic powers that affect veils and such)?
    Last edited by Powgow; 2024-05-23 at 07:09 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I am unfamiliar with Spheres of Guile, so I will have to refuse that one. But Akashic Mysteries are fine, including the Spheres material for them. Just a note for everyone, by the way. I won't be allowing Spellweaving (at least that is what I think the name is, it has been a while). No mixing different SoP talents, as I have seen people build two mile wide areas that deal 20d6 damage to all within it, and that is very excessive.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Let's see where my luck is.

Show

(1d8+10)[12]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[15]
    (1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[13]

Show

(1d8+10)[12]
    (1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[17]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[16]
    (1d8+10)[17]
    (1d8+10)[13]

Edit: 12, 13, 13, 16, 17, 17, 18. Dice Gods definitely want me to make something, let's see what we got.

Gonna make a Sundering Hands Monk who follows the teachings of Saerenrae.

Would you allow the Shabti race? It isn't vital to me at all, I just like the fluff of it.

Edit again: Another question, What is your stance on Advanced/Legendary Talents?
    Last edited by Armonia13; 2024-05-24 at 05:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Amir is WiP.

EDIT: Nvm. I am going to withdraw my interest.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2024-05-24 at 01:02 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Imp

(1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[12]
    (1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[17]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[18]

(1d8+10)[12]
    (1d8+10)[12]
    (1d8+10)[14]
    (1d8+10)[15]
    (1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[16]
    (1d8+10)[18]

I have a Magus I'm interested in building. It uses the Sublime Warmage archetype to gain access to Martial Maneuvers at the cost of Cantrips (and arcana, if you want any maneuvers higher than level 1).

If possible, I'd like to combine it with the Arcane Weaponeer archetype, which would trade out Vancian spellcasting for access to Spheres of Power. In place of Cantrips, I'd presumably give up the +2 magic talents that SoP classes gain with their first Casting level. Would that be agreeable to you?

If that's not allowed, then I'll just keep Vancian casting and stick with Bladebound + Kensai Magus, mixed with Sublime Warmage. Are there any issues with this suggestion?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Rolling is fun!

Show

(1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[13]
    (1d8+10)[12]
    (1d8+10)[17]
    (1d8+10)[15]

Show

(1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[15]
    (1d8+10)[18]
    (1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[11]
    (1d8+10)[14]
    (1d8+10)[11]

Kicking around an ashiftah witch, which seems appropriate given the geography

Spoiler: intro
    Show

Who knows how long the veil had been there? A year? A cycle? A King’s Age? The old woman who wore it last was a dried-out husk when Samile found her, but that was no help – bodies could last nearly forever out here if left undisturbed.

It was not pretty. It was not luxurious. It was black and tattered and looked every bit as old as everything else in the room — and then some. But Samile found she couldn’t avert her gaze from it. Even when she closed her eyes it was there, as if she was feeling it.

She couldn’t describe the feeling, because as the youngest child of a poor family, it was unknown to her. It felt like power.

Samile sat and watched the veil for a long time. Then she closed her eyes, and when she opened them, they looked out from behind the veil.

Last edited by Rilem; 2024-05-24 at 11:10 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post

I have a Magus I'm interested in building. It uses the Sublime Warmage archetype to gain access to Martial Maneuvers at the cost of Cantrips (and arcana, if you want any maneuvers higher than level 1).

If possible, I'd like to combine it with the Arcane Weaponeer archetype, which would trade out Vancian spellcasting for access to Spheres of Power. In place of Cantrips, I'd presumably give up the +2 magic talents that SoP classes gain with their first Casting level. Would that be agreeable to you?

If that's not allowed, then I'll just keep Vancian casting and stick with Bladebound + Kensai Magus, mixed with Sublime Warmage. Are there any issues with this suggestion?
    My understanding of it is that you can only have a single archetype, which I only learned fairly recently. So you won't be able to take both archetypes. But I will allow you to keep the Sublime Warmage and still swap out your vancian casting for SoP talents. It should give you most of what you were asking for, but please let me know if there is something critical that I have overlooked that would disadvantage you.

29. - Top - End - #29

Imp

My understanding of it is that you can only have a single archetype, which I only learned fairly recently. So you won't be able to take both archetypes. But I will allow you to keep the Sublime Warmage and still swap out your vancian casting for SoP talents. It should give you most of what you were asking for, but please let me know if there is something critical that I have overlooked that would disadvantage you.
    Hey, so just a heads up, but here are the actual rules regarding archetypes:

Quote Originally Posted by Page 72 of the Advanced Players Guide
    A character can take more than one archetype and garner additional alternate class features, but none of the alternate class features can replace or alter the same class feature from the core class as another alternate class feature. For example, a paladin could not be both a hospitaler and an undead scourge since they both modify the smite evil class feature and both replace the aura of justice class feature. A paladin could, however, be both an undead scourge and a warrior of the holy light, since none of their new class features replace the same core class feature.
    https://www.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?Na...ter%20Creation

So, it's totally possible to have multiple archetypes at once, as long as they don't alter the same class features.

...Granted, combining Sublime Warmage with Arcane Weaponeer would normally be disallowed by this rule, since both alter Cantrips (Sublime Warmage gets rid of it while Arcane Weaponeer replaces both it and spells as a whole with Spherecasting). To fix this I suggested a workaround where Sublime Warmage got rid of the free 2 magic talents granted to any Spherecaster, as the closest analog to Cantrips.

That said, combing Sublime Warmage with the Kensai and Bladebound archetypes would be perfectly allowable under the base rules, and would require no workarounds.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2024-05-25 at 01:50 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thanks for the correction. I had always thought that was the way it worked too, but I am certain in another recruitment some time ago someong pointed to ruling the other way. Thanks for the link. You can then certainly take both archetypes, and swap out the cantrips for the +2 talents, which you would forefeit as part of the requirements for the second archetype.

So we will run with your suggestion.