New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Could Stanley end Parson with a thought?

Wanda summoned Parson herself; it doesn't actually seem as if having someone as your lord and master gives them some sort of magical hold over you. So if Stanley didn't summon Parson, why the boop would Stanley have that sort of power over him? I'm thinking Wanda lied about Stanley's control and she could actually use Parson as a means of overthrowing Stanley. Just a thought.

And why does Wanda serve him, anyway?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Could Stanley end Parson with a thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Emo Samurai View Post
    Wanda summoned Parson herself; it doesn't actually seem as if having someone as your lord and master gives them some sort of magical hold over you. So if Stanley didn't summon Parson, why the boop would Stanley have that sort of power over him? I'm thinking Wanda lied about Stanley's control and she could actually use Parson as a means of overthrowing Stanley. Just a thought.

Actually, Parson has been shown to have to obey Stanley's commands. He laughed when Stanley told him to, even though Parson didn't find the jokes funny. He also couldn't speak until Stanley told him he could.
    The spell put that control in place. Parson has to obey the commands of his leader; in this case, Stanley.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Actually, Parson has been shown to have to obey Stanley's commands. He laughed when Stanley told him to, even though Parson didn't find the jokes funny. He also couldn't speak until Stanley told him he could.
    Slight nitpick: The phrasing of Stanley's order ("Shut up until you're ordered to speak!") gave him an out if anyone ordered him to speak. Parson tried to exploit that loophole by telling Bogroll (in writing in his eyebook) to order him to speak, but Bogroll doesn't read. Presumably, he used the same dodge, with more success, at the beginning of his chat with Sizemore.

That said, yes, those examples demonstrate that Stanley does have some direct control over Parson. That doesn't necessarily mean that Stanley can in fact end Parson's existence with a thought, but it's enough evidence that Parson isn't inclined to take chances on that score.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-09-14 at 11:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emo Samurai View Post
    Now, to address this little question. Well, there are three possible explanations.

First, she could have been the Chief Croakamancer of King Plaid, who Stanley killed; since Stanley was the new Overlord, Wanda's allegiance automatically switched to Stanley, whether she liked it or not. Since she was an officer under the old King's rule, she kept her position when Stanley took over.

Second, Stanley 'purchased' her, like any other unit. This would give her a little autonomy (as evidenced by her ability to refuse a command she didn't like), but she would still have to be loyal to Stanley. He promoted her to Officer because, well, she kinda 'convinced' him to let her be his advisor.

Third, she joined up with Stanley because he had the Arkenhammer. Wanda seems drawn to power - someone with the Arkenhammer would wield a LOT of that. And since Stanley's a simpleton, he's someone she could manipulate to her advantage.

It doesn't hurt that Stanley lets her indulge in her hobbies - something other leaders may not be willing to do. Stanley thinks it's torture and interrogation. We know them to be 'mindbooping with folks' and BDSM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

I think what they're referring to is another strategy game trope: you can "disband" units and they just go away. It's possible that they think this means the disbanded units just stop existing, but for Parson he might re-appear in his chair in the "real world". Or not.

We'll have to cross that bridge when we (or rather: they) get to it.

It's also possible that Parson is just taking a very literal approach to the whole "you have to obey my commands" instead of being forced to by the great will of the cosmos or something. He does like his rules!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

he could order parson to kill himself, a thought technically.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you'll notice on page 17, Stanley says "And I know the spell will bind him to serve me", so I guess that it's a provision in the spell or that Wanda can manipulate the spell in such a way as to make this possible.

Alternatively, Wanda could have lied to Stanley about it; he can't really end Parson with a thought, but Parson laughed because he doesn't know this and doesn't want to test the theory. Although why he couldn't speak when Stanley told him he couldn't until ordered to beats me...he could be playing it safe again, but this is less likely in this scenario.
    Last edited by Vella_Malachite; 2007-09-21 at 04:53 AM.
    Just remember - yelling "Who wrote this ****?!" at the top of your lungs is a normal and accepted part of the editing process.

The wizard who reads a thousand books is powerful. The wizard who memorises a thousand book is insane.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by FF Fanboy
    Undead have quasi-feelings, too!
    Thanks to kpenguin for the excellent avatar.