New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: the specialness

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default the specialness

There might be a joke that I don't get with the hamster saying he doesn't wonder what being special means for parson, but does anyone have a clue about that, or is the hamster just there to get our minds rolling?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: the specialness

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    There might be a joke that I don't get with the hamster saying he doesn't wonder what being special means for parson, but does anyone have a clue about that, or is the hamster just there to get our minds rolling?
    "Special" is a term that was originally used by social workers, teachers, etc. to refer to mentally retarded childred, as retarded had been nabbed and corrupted from a medical term into an insult in about 5 seconds, alongside spastic.

Within about five minutes of its introduction, it also became a playground insult.

That's what the Hamster means. Whilst "Special" here likely refers to Parson's off-Erfworld origin or some other trait, the Hamster is implying, in its usual derogatory fashion, that Parson is mentally retarded.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Geez, get it right, guys.

It's not a hamster.

It's the Hamstard.
    Wait. I think I just failed a spot check. Really? I don't see anything. Exactly.
    Goblin Ninjas: Ummm... We're like RIGHT here. Wait! I think I just failed a listen check.

4. - Top - End - #4

which just happens to be giant in size and hailing from another planet?

Thanks for that connection, didn't realize the hamstard was using it as an insult

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

i didn't pick up on that. i took it as him wondering what his unique status means for him.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_tick_rules View Post
    i didn't pick up on that. i took it as him wondering what his unique status means for him.
    The frame of Parson holding Misty made me notice something that had been done so well as to be practically invisible -- by perspective and composition, Jamie neatly emphasizes or deemphasizes Parson's size as the scene indicates.