New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Assault on the Palaces of the Ape-Sultans (Basic D&D / Labyrinth Lord)

Edgar goes over to peer down the well indicated by the peasant. "A hmm a-a-tchoo!" Turning back to the peasant. "When was this well dug?"

He'll head further into the village looking for his companions after that.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Assault on the Palaces of the Ape-Sultans (Basic D&D / Labyrinth Lord)

Quote Originally Posted by DoomCup View Post
    Thomas

He sees this possible tavern. Oh, hey, that may be a tavern! Neat, I'm sure the others will like that. But before he tells the others, he walks in to see what it's like first.
    It's not much more than a wooden hut, with a couple of people sitting outside and a none-too-friendly-looking waitress/barmaid who glares at you.

3. - Top - End - #693

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    Edgar goes over to peer down the well indicated by the peasant. "A hmm a-a-tchoo!" Turning back to the peasant. "When was this well dug?"
    "Oh, that would've been five years ago, the same time as everything...a lot of stuff got built then."

4. - Top - End - #694
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Marcado, while still listening to Oliver and the young man's discussion, begins to visually inspect the giant tree, trying to determine if he could climb it easily, to take a good look around the surrounding area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rope and Grappling Hook in bag/backpack, if they are needed, but would prefer to try to climb it without them...as to not "damage" the tree with the hook. This may go nowhere, but just curious if I can see anything from up in the tree, better than just from the ground level.

5. - Top - End - #695

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by yoyorobbo View Post
    Marcado, while still listening to Oliver and the young man's discussion, begins to visually inspect the giant tree, trying to determine if he could climb it easily, to take a good look around the surrounding area.
    You soon see that it's an excellent tree for climbing, without the need for any rope or grappling hook.

6. - Top - End - #696

SwashbucklerGuy

[If I've forgotten to reply to anyone, please let me know]

7. - Top - End - #697
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Oliver

Noticing Marcado inspecting the tree and guessing as to his intent Oliver quickly looks around to see if any of the villagers other than Inim-shara are watching.

[If no other villagers are around]
    Oliver tries to move Inim's attention away from the tree, by pulling out the book and showing it to him, so he won't notice Marcado make his climbing attempt.

[If other villagers are watching]
    Oliver quickly moves over to Marcado and quietly whispers to him so only he can hear. "Be careful nobody sees you do what I think you're about to do. For all we know this tree may be sacred to the village and climbing it may be a crime. I'll go find out what I can, just be careful."
    Last edited by Sygel; 2008-10-30 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Added distraction method

8. - Top - End - #698

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sygel View Post
    Oliver

Noticing Marcado inspecting the tree and guessing as to his intent Oliver quickly looks around to see if any of the villagers other than Inim-shara are watching.

[If no other villagers are around]
    Oliver tries to move Inim's attention away from the tree, by pulling out the book and showing it to him, so he won't notice Marcado make his climbing attempt.
    You don't see any other villagers watching.

Inim is completely captivated by the book.

"My Mum used to tell me that very story!" he cries in amazement.

Billy adds that his mother also told many of the stories from the book.
    Last edited by Jolly Steve; 2008-10-30 at 11:38 AM.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Marcado quietly pulls Oliver aside while the young man delves into the book.

"Do you recall anything in that book concerning this tree? Was it pictured in any of the stories or mentioned at all, that you might recall?"

10. - Top - End - #700
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Oliver

"Hmm, good point. I'll take a look." Oliver then starts to look for any stories depicting an odd tree while looking through the book with Inim and Billy.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Halfling in the Playground

Thomas

The smile never leaves his face a he walks up to the barmaid.Hi! Nice bar you have here, reminds me of back home. What you have that'll quench some thirst?

12. - Top - End - #702

SwashbucklerGuy

Thomas

The smile never leaves his face a he walks up to the barmaid.Hi! Nice bar you have here, reminds me of back home. What you have that'll quench some thirst?
    The barmaid indicates that they have scrumpy, or water.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Steve View Post
    [If I've forgotten to reply to anyone, please let me know]
    [Forgot Fimer and I, at the grave]

14. - Top - End - #704

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jokes View Post
    Altair

"What good is a grave without a name?" Altair says, possibly to Fimer, possibly to no-one. He spots a nearby child and asks him if there is anything important about the site.
    []

"Mother says I'm not allowed to tell you."

15. - Top - End - #705

SwashbucklerGuy

Oliver

"Hmm, good point. I'll take a look." Oliver then starts to look for any stories depicting an odd tree while looking through the book with Inim and Billy.
    There are a couple. In one story, a prince plants a magic seed which grows into a tree, which he climbs up to get into Karsh. In another a witch turns into a tree so she can hide in a swamp, and ambush lost travellers.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ha! a ladder/tree or a witch-in-disguise....awesome, dude! Nice touch, seriously.

Marcado will await the synopsis on the stories from Oliver...wonder what we'll do with this tree...climb it or fall prey to it's witchcraft.
    Last edited by yoyorobbo; 2008-10-31 at 08:24 AM.

17. - Top - End - #707

Altair

He smiles (or what could loosely be described as a distortion of the facial muscles) at the child. "Your mother taught you well. Perhaps you could point me to one of the elders, so you don't get in trouble."

18. - Top - End - #708

SwashbucklerGuy

Altair

He smiles (or what could loosely be described as a distortion of the facial muscles) at the child. "Your mother taught you well. Perhaps you could point me to one of the elders, so you don't get in trouble."
    He points towards one of the buildings in the village.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Oliver

To Marcado:
    "Well it looks like there are a few stories involving trees in here. One where a prince plants a magic seed and climbs the tree to get over the wall, and another where a witch disguises herself as a tree to ambush travelers. Not sure either one really helps in this situation."

Oliver pauses a few seconds to think then continues.

"I guess while you're up there see if you can find some of the seeds or fruit of the tree. Just in case."

Oliver then returns to the book with Inim.
    What if it's not what's up the tree, but what's under it that might help us? he thinks to himself.

20. - Top - End - #710

Thomas

Smiles at the mention of the strong cider. A stiff drink is something he could use. Great, I'll have a mug of scrumpy, then. By the by, do you know anything about the wall that's not far from here?
    Last edited by DoomCup; 2008-10-31 at 10:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #711

SwashbucklerGuy

Thomas

Smiles at the mention of the strong cider. A stiff drink is something he could use. Great, I'll have a mug of scrumpy, then. By the by, do you know anything about the wall that's not far from here?
    "one gold" the waitress says. She pours a pint of the foul brew, and one of the men at the bar hands it down to you.

"You mean Karsh? You're going to Karsh?" the atmosphere relaxes considerably.

"Gosh, you're brave. Oh...well, not personally. Only what I hear from the bedouin and such. They told me that once a family camped outside the walls overnight, and in the morning they were all gone, taken by demons."

"That's right" one of the men at the bar says,

"and a man was riding there and he saw a beautiful woman, the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen..." he has a long story, the gist of which is that the woman was a demon and tried to tempt him into murdering his brothers and other foul deeds.
    Last edited by Jolly Steve; 2008-11-01 at 05:26 AM.

22. - Top - End - #712

SwashbucklerGuy

"I guess while you're up there see if you can find some of the seeds or fruit of the tree. Just in case."
    From where you are you can't see any fruit on the tree, but it's pretty big and thickly branched and there might be some higher up. However, unless there's magic involved, you can tell it's not a fruit-bearing tree.
    Last edited by Jolly Steve; 2008-11-01 at 05:27 AM.

23. - Top - End - #713

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by yoyorobbo View Post
    [spoiler]Ha! a ladder/tree or a witch-in-disguise....awesome, dude! Nice touch, seriously.
    [thanks! ]

24. - Top - End - #714

Thomas

Places a gold coin on the counter. He then takes a swallow of his drink.*Cough Wheeze* There, that hits the spot! Fascinating tales, those, I had no idea so much went on at this Karsh place. I'm excited! He then finishes down his pint and stands up, the world now having a pleasant glow to it. Thanks for the drink and the helpful information, I have to get back to the others now.

25. - Top - End - #715

Altair

"Thankyou." He beckons Fimer to follow, and heads off to find an elder.

26. - Top - End - #716

SwashbucklerGuy

Thomas

Places a gold coin on the counter. He then takes a swallow of his drink.*Cough Wheeze* There, that hits the spot! Fascinating tales, those, I had no idea so much went on at this Karsh place. I'm excited! He then finishes down his pint and stands up, the world now having a pleasant glow to it. Thanks for the drink and the helpful information, I have to get back to the others now.
    You get up. Then you decide that that wasn't such a great idea, and actually you might have a little lie down. Luckily the floor decides to rush up to meet you.

27. - Top - End - #717

SwashbucklerGuy

Altair

"Thankyou." He beckons Fimer to follow, and heads off to find an elder.
    You find not one, but two old men, drinking pints.

Also, a barmaid. And Thomas, lying on the floor mumbling drunkenly.

Your keen intellect tells you that this is the village tavern.
    Last edited by Jolly Steve; 2008-11-01 at 11:11 PM.

28. - Top - End - #718

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Steve View Post
    "Oh, that would've been five years ago, the same time as everything...a lot of stuff got built then."
    [Mudguard/Edgar, did you want to talk to the peasant further, or just find the others?]

29. - Top - End - #719

Altair

Stepping over the mumbling Thomas, Altair greets the people at the 'tavern.' He nods his head towards Thomas. "How many has he had?"

"I noticed the gravesite over there, and thought it odd to have only a single one. Is this village that new?"

30. - Top - End - #720

Thomas

In response, he fails miserably at raising one finger, then falls asleep on the floor.