New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Third Worst Monster

Panel 5:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0161.html
    This has probably been touched on in the thread dedicated to that update, but I think the topic is worth isolating.

Parson assured Maggie that she's probably only the third worst monster in the area. Based on a quick rundown of everyone on the mountain, as well as how I imagine his character to think, the other two "monsters" are most probably himself and Wanda. Anyone else there who might deserve the title, Parson either respects too much or doesn't respect enough.

The question I have is: who does Parson put at the top? Himself? Or Wanda?

I mean, at first glance I'd go with "himself". I mean, 1) he's pretty self-involved just by his nature 2) he harbors suspicions that this world was built for him, within the confines of his own mind and 3) assuming 2 is false, he's fully prepared to take responsibility for the atrocities committed to win this battle.

Then again, Wanda has shown a pointed lack of remorse for her actions while in his presence, admitted to being entirely motivated by a desire for personal gain, is decidedly non-humanistic in her approach to the big picture, and is literally a sadist. Now, obviously I could make a good argument for Wanda being the number 1 worst monster on that mountain. But would Parson? I can't decide.

It all comes down to: is his conscience stronger than his pragmatism?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Third Worst Monster

i'm betting he's the first. not that i agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

It's a very good question, and one I was wondering about too. I think Parson himself may not be sure - though with the mood he's in, he may think he's the worst monster for what he's done.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yodimus View Post
    Based on a quick rundown of everyone on the mountain, as well as how I imagine his character to think, the other two "monsters" are most probably himself and Wanda. Anyone else there who might deserve the title, Parson either respects too much or doesn't respect enough.

I don't think it has anything to do with respect but criteria. What is the criteria for being a monster. The answer is there. And the criteria is apparently killing your own friends and allies.

Parson can at least consider that his actions saved lives. His ruthlessness is giving him a moral crisis, but if he sits down and thinks it through, it's not as if his final solution was anything other than the only solution he had available. All of his own forces, but the casters, would have been just as dead and the enemy relatively unscathed. Due to his moral crisis, he could consider himself the worst though.

But later when he thinks it through, I think he'll put wanda as the worst.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

I don't know if Parson even bothered ranking #1 and 2 in order. I took it that he was just telling Maggy that his anger at her seemed pointless now that he (and presumably our croakamancer) had done something far worse. Just letting her know that he wouldn't be holding a grudge against her anymore.

Levelling several tiles of terrain and everyone in them is slightly more monstrous than deflecting a spell backlash in order to survive with little to no injury.