New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: OOTS #658 - The Discussion Thread

What a beautiful comic!

In (perhaps) the last five minutes of life, V has managed to grow a pair and start using all available resources. V is a lot more dangerous right now then when they rode in on a soul splice.

Plus many panels of O-Chul.
    "Mummies? Okay, I pull flaming oil out of my backpack!"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeptCloak View Post
    Yes, I find the fact I am the one who keeps having to correct people on the rules to be a bit embarassing frankly.
    Trust me...you're only embarrassing yourself.

In this case...why can't V be out of Flight spells?

You postlated two cases

1) V was using his pre-existing flight spell from the island, or
    2) V has since cast a new one off screen.

However, we don't know what spells V chose to replenish his slots with.
    We don't know how many Flight spells he chose to ready.
    We do know his existing flight spell was dispelled.
    We don't know what flught spell was wa susing...if it was the 1 minute/level Fly then he did indeed cast another offscreen.

We also don't know what spells the other casters knew. And once again, just because you would do something, does not mean V would do the same thing.

Having said that, these past few strips have taken a downturn IMO...some nice character moments, but now very predictable.

EJL

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ah, he is out of flight spells, I had read fight spells the first time

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by choie View Post
    Amazing, just ... amazing. How do you keep this suspense up, Rich? We haven't been able to exhale since V left the Order!!
    My face is blue I know it looks green, but it is really blue from not breathing.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    A question: What, exactly, is the reference in the title? (I'm assuming there IS one, naturally.)
    I'm not entirely sure. The only two options I can think of are a reference to the cliche, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush," and the Amish town of Bird-in-Hand, PA. Neither really seems to apply here.

Also, what exactly happened to that Meteor Swarm? It looks like Xykon missed O-Chul with it, but that should still mean that both him and V have to make reflex saves just for being in the area of effect, and even those would only make the damage partial.... Yet they don't seem to get any injuries from the Meteor Swarm.... So what gives?
    I'm a bit confused about this too. O-Chul may very well have enough health from the potions to survive the hit, but V not only survives but also has his voice back already after having his windpipe crushed in the last comic. Maybe O-Chul layed on hands him when he grabbed him, it just wasn't announced like most abilities in the comic?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

YES!!! Blackwing FTW!!!

I would have never thought of throwing the Plylactery in the Snarl rift. Awsome!!!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    Repeat after me:
    After me
    Spoiler
    Show
    I, Archon Huskie, solemnly swear (or affirm)
    to no longer respond, quote or in any way reffer to Jept Cloak,
    to ignore everything he says as his statements are calculated to generated anger and hatred of him and his ideas,
    until such time as JeptCloak speaks in a calm tone, cites his sources and sticks to the topic of the discussion.

Ignore List amended

I do not believe that V needs to order Blackwing to fly into the rift. Merely to fly above it and drop it in.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

****ING OWNED.

The familiar takes the phylactery into the gate, destroying it.

^.^'

9. - Top - End - #99
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

If they succeed in completely destroying Xykon's soul, I doubt Xykon would stick around. I don't think D&D has rules for having a soul unmade from creation, so there's no way to know.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The comic rock's. Yet another cliffhanger...

Still i believe it is pretty unreasonable to think V wouldn't prepare Fly or Overland Fly. After all who might think that he wanted to stay in splice all day? And wasnt it said that spells finish while splice finish? It is stretching. You can't rationalize it in any way - but hey! Nobody is perfect! G man is a human too. EoT?Plz.

What's gonna happen next? (dunh dunh dunh)
    comeback Chief Lobbyst

11. - Top - End - #101

Planetar

You know, V doesn't actually have to sacrifice Blackwing for this. He could just have blackwing fly ABOVE the rift and drop it in, or fly slightly above it while still at it at a high enough velocity that it will fall in due to it's forward momentum.

Also, I wonder if Xycon warded it against falling damage. That would be an unexpected way to break it.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

A question: What, exactly, is the reference in the title? (I'm assuming there IS one, naturally.)
    It's an english phrase (related to hunting):
    A Bird in the Hand is Worth Two in the Bush.

It means that having something now (ie a bird you caught) is worth more than something you that you don't have yet, even if it might potentially be more valuable (say a couple of birds in a bush that you may or may not be able to get).
    Last edited by Porthos; 2009-06-01 at 08:29 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

13. - Top - End - #103
    Banned

Amazing, just ... amazing. How do you keep this suspense up, Rich? We haven't been able to exhale since V left the Order! My heart's still in my throat! Bravo. Boy, V looks even worse, if possible.

Re: the flight thing. I know it's been four whole strips, JeptCloak, but please direct your attention to #653, bottom left panel. After the Greater Dispel, V crashes to the ground and cries out:

Vaarsuvius: My defenses! My flight spell!

We already knew V had no flight spell! Maybe you didn't hear V through all the gnashing of teeth over V's wizardry not uber alles-ing?

Anyway, what I'd like to see is sort of my prediction, FWIW (and with Rich's incredible storytelling skills, my prediction's definitely not worth much!):

Spoiler
    Show
    Blackwing takes the phylactery and tosses it into the Rift. Xykon tries to zap the bird, but O-Chul flings himself into the blast of the spell, sacrificing himself.

Thank you for a phenomenal ride so far, Rich. I can't wait to see how this progresses. You're making me chugalug on blood pressure medicine!
    No, I got that part... It's just he got all his spells replenished after the splice, so he should have another one to hand since he already cast one that day.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Colossus in the Playground

Sometimes I think I should put, "Wizard, not super wizard/sorcerer prestige class" in my sig. Surprisingly often, someone will argue that "Vaarsuvius not casting Spell X is a plot hole."

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by JeptCloak View Post
    So the story is again asking us to invent an implausible explanation to cover for the flaws in the story. How surprising.

Yes, I can totally see it now... when they said "the rejuvanating effect of the soul splice will allow you to start with all spell slots fully replenished" what they meant was "in the instant in which you get this power you will off panel have the ability to go through your spell book and consider the spells you wish to use, contemplate the ones you want, memorise them, and then resume laughing madly, all while no time passes and nobody notices". I can't see why I'm so skeptical.

I don't think you're reading the same comic everybody else is. I think you're just screaming and whining, hurt because super-V didn't solve every problem with a hand wave. As a result, you're digging to complain about anything, and even when it has an explanation ("My flight spells! Nooo!" or any other "out of spells" reference), you simply handwave it and make up complaints. For example, the burden of proof is on you to explain how you know for certain that V prepared multiple flight spells specifically in that slot, and not a lot of other spells.

My prediction for the next strip's complaint?

Jeptcloak: "This is preposterous and bad storytelling. The Rift should not be able to destroy the phylactery, because O-Chul's Iron bar and V's Spells couldn't. Therefore, the story has contradicted itself."

or:

"This is preposterous and bad storytelling. Roy can't be black."
    Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    You are presuming that Ridureyu is trying to be a troll.

I tend to think of him more as a Performance Artist, myself.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

GAH! OW

DAMMIT! DAMN YOU AND YOUR CLIFFHANGERS! *cough*
    *weeze* NO! i cant's wait no more! I must know what happens... no more speculations... NO MORE THEORIES! *HURK!*

*has heart attack*

But besides the drama at the keyboard, awesome comic as always, and dont listen to me, i'm not really complianing about the cliffhangers <3. Go Blackwing! (to your fate worse than death)
    No, you have it wrong. I'm not trying to turn the zombie, I'm trying to turn his head from off it's shoulders. BLAM!

Why am i playing a homeless person as my new PC? Gee, i dont know Ryan, maybe it's because our whole party of six got Pwned by some homeless guys who only asked us for some spare change!

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by Fayd View Post
    You know, V doesn't actually have to sacrifice Blackwing for this. He could just have blackwing fly ABOVE the rift and drop it in, or fly slightly above it while still at it at a high enough velocity that it will fall in due to it's forward momentum.
    In a world where the characters rely on Wily E Coyote for laws of motion? Yeah, sure, that's as likely to happen as Belkar apologizing for something.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Do we know what may happen if a lich soul is unmade?

Because is not quite the same than the phylacthing being destroyed...
    Are there any rules for that? I do not know much about D&D...

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

I knew it! What I did not expect was the long range to the rift, nor the... solution. Hilarious.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

20. - Top - End - #110
    Banned

Amazing, just ... amazing. How do you keep this suspense up, Rich? We haven't been able to exhale since V left the Order! My heart's still in my throat! Bravo. Boy, V looks even worse, if possible.

Re: the flight thing. I know it's been four whole strips, JeptCloak, but please direct your attention to #653, bottom left panel. After the Greater Dispel, V crashes to the ground and cries out:

Vaarsuvius: My defenses! My flight spell!

We already knew V had no flight spell! Maybe you didn't hear V through all the gnashing of teeth over V's wizardry not uber alles-ing?

Anyway, what I'd like to see is sort of my prediction, FWIW (and with Rich's incredible storytelling skills, my prediction's definitely not worth much!):

Spoiler
    Show
    Blackwing takes the phylactery and tosses it into the Rift. Xykon tries to zap the bird, but O-Chul flings himself into the blast of the spell, sacrificing himself.

Thank you for a phenomenal ride so far, Rich. I can't wait to see how this progresses. You're making me chugalug on blood pressure medicine!
    No, I got that part... It's just he got all his spells replenished after the splice, so he should have another one to hand since he already cast one that day.

21. - Top - End - #111

WolfInSheepsClothing

It references the phrase

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Brilliant tension. Looks like we're going to see Xykon's phalyctery destroyed, but also the end of the road for either V or O-Chul, or both.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Also, what exactly happened to that Meteor Swarm? It looks like Xykon missed O-Chul with it, but that should still mean that both him and V have to make reflex saves just for being in the area of effect, and even those would only make the damage partial.... Yet they don't seem to get any injuries from the Meteor Swarm.... So what gives?
    Xykon said "Another Meteor Swarm" rather than "Meteor Swarm". Perhaps this is another custom spell such as "Xykon's Moderately Inescapable Force Cage". Perhaps "Another Meteor Swarm" is a nerfed version of "Meteor Swarm" for the times when Xykon wants to slow somebody down without killing them.

I don't like that idea, though. It's not funny. And if Xykon really wanted to stop two people from running, he could use some other spell. Such as: Xykon's Moderately Inescapable Force Cage!
    "Mummies? Okay, I pull flaming oil out of my backpack!"

24. - Top - End - #114
    Halfling in the Playground

hmm... (ponders)
    what happens after the phylactery is destroyed, though? sorry O-Chul, but you're screwed.
    Give a man a match, keep him warm for a minute. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by Belkar=awsome View Post
    BY A LONG SHOT. And yes. yes i did say something.
    I'd just like to brag a little bit about how far ahead I saw this coming. I've got supervision. I'm the oracle. I'm the freaking oracle.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by badam104172 View Post
    hmm... (ponders)
    what happens after the phylactery is destroyed, though? sorry O-Chul, but you're screwed.
    But it is not only the plylactery destroyed, is X soul being unmade... surely he should feel it somehow?

27. - Top - End - #117
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    I don't think you're reading the same comic everybody else is. I think you're just screaming and whining, hurt because super-V didn't solve every problem with a hand wave. As a result, you're digging to complain about anything, and even when it has an explanation ("My flight spells! Nooo!" or any other "out of spells" reference), you simply handwave it and make up complaints. For example, the burden of proof is on you to explain how you know for certain that V prepared multiple flight spells specifically in that slot, and not a lot of other spells.

My prediction for the next strip's complaint?

Jeptcloak: "This is preposterous and bad storytelling. The Rift should not be able to destroy the phylactery, because O-Chul's Iron bar and V's Spells couldn't. Therefore, the story has contradicted itself."

or:

"This is preposterous and bad storytelling. Roy can't be black."
    Yeh, I'm quite clear on him having lost his flight spell (the one in use), it's just he got his slots replenished, which under any sensible reading means he should now be ablt to cast it again. It's not complicated.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'm not sure why your complaining here, Jept. I mean, V using Blackwing to get rid of the phalyctery is, mechanically speaking, just as good as using a fly spell to go over to the Rift and get rid of.

I.e. V is using his powers to give Xykon a huge headache.

I would have thought you would be happy with this development.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Belkar=awsome View Post
    I'd just like to brag a little bit about how far ahead I saw this coming. I've got supervision. I'm the oracle. I'm the freaking oracle.
    Congrats! Can I be a pre-cog?

30. - Top - End - #120

Spoiler
    Show
    I hope not. I'm pulling for the bad guys. Go Team Evil!
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS Fan-fiction (An alternate OotS-verse starting after page 603. If you want to read it go here)

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.