New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Escape from Tolmere Asylum

Jacob sighs, turning to the small group that appeared to have gathered round him. Sifting through the inmates would do him no good, especially if he was wrong, and she wasn't here.

"Who wants to come with me to see if we can't convince the good warden to open up his files, and maybe let us out of this hell hole?"

Jacob didn't think he would need help, but having a number of them trying to break in all at once would only make all of their lives more difficult.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gawaeyn View Post
    "Not the worst place I've been," Lucian sighs. He carefully enters after the tiefling.

[So... how much time has passed so far?]
    [About 30 seconds. You'd have to say you are stopping and taking a break for the rest to count.]

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Ah. Well, the question is what counts as non-strenuous activity...
    ...to a character with 19 Con... I guess I won't be taking a short rest just yet. Maybe I'll spend my second wind?]

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Sagary hides his increasing annoyance with these constant obstacles to his glorious escape, and simply points towards the room in the top corner of the block. "There. Telzin sent me." As he speaks, though, he does not drop his guard, as he knows that these men might be enemies of the man at the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready an action to cast Storm Walk if any of them attack me. It might be suicidal, but I've got a plan, damn it!

Also, a hell of a lot of fun if I pull it off.

Bluff - (1d20+17)[31]
    Diplomacy - (1d20+17)[25]
    Insight - (1d20+11)[16]
    Perception - (1d20+11)[15]

5. - Top - End - #125

Lucian-

[Wow, you are seriously going to go into the dark and creepy room, with your dreadful perception, and less HP? And not every encounter is random (like the last one). Btw, 500xp for the last one.]

Sagary-

"Is that so? And what is so important that you'd be interrupting Oengrin's research?"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Probably. It's the only lead I have, so far. So I don't have much IC reason to run away. I'll just spend my second wind now, shall I?

Also, I left the sigils I drew on the ground, so anyone examining the wall may find it. Just saying. ]

7. - Top - End - #127

Lucian -

The room you enter is pitch black, your light manages to pierce a fraction of the darkness.

A voice whispers in your mind, its tone soft yet eerie. "She was in a hurry, was it you she was running from? I'm so glad another came." A body drops from the ceiling next to you, the tiefling, her body covered in a thick brown resin. "We hate to share."

The tiefling's eyes pop open and she lets out a scream. "Run!"

edit: at the very edge of your lights vision, you can see a strange being, it's flesh purple and instead of a mouth, writhing tentacles.
    Last edited by Jokes; 2009-06-12 at 01:48 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lucian grins, "aww, two-on-one? That's hardly fair, is it? Grab another handful of your friends, and then we'll talk." As he speaks, a rod suddenly appears in one of his hands. The sunrod is quickly snapped, and dropped at his feet, illuminating the area around him. Then, his sword appears in his hands. He glances at the tiefling, prone on the ground."But you will not touch her."

[I think those were all free actions. Should I roll initiative?]

9. - Top - End - #129

Lucian-

Your light illuminates more of the room, but you can still only see the walls closest to you. To your left are what look to be holding cells, with bars instead of walls, their doors wide open.

The voice in you head laughs as more creatures are illuminated. "So be it." Three of the creatures are standing behind the humanoid, and resemble large bipedal lizards, with no eyes, their razor sharp teeth glistening in the light. Three creatures cling to the wall, their thin brown bodies resemble the resin that covers the tiefling. The final creature is hanging from the ceiling and looks like the resin men, but it's body is shaped like armour.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lucian smiles. "That's better. Now, let's talk, shall we? Give me a moment to shift her away. Wouldn't want her to get caught in the middle later." Lucian sheathes his blade, and carries the as-of-yet-unnamed tiefling out through the broken door. As he walks, he says conversationally, apparently taking this new adversary far too lightly, "so, why're you waiting here? For ambushes? Not thinking of escaping or anything?"

[You mind if I buy some stuff to replace the Footpads? I promise I won't buy an Unguent of Darkvision or anything like that... ]
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-12 at 02:20 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm here to join you." Lightning is silent for a moment and remembers to give some reference of sorts. "Your group sounds more reliable than Ducroix', at least from what the halfling told me."

12. - Top - End - #132

Lucian-

"Why would we escape, while there are plenty of juicy morsels left?" You feel the thing probe your mind. "I'm salivating already..." The creature speaks in a strange language and the lizards leap forth.

Spoiler
    Show
    lizards - (1d20+8)[23]
    humanoid - (1d20+15)[26]
    resin men - (1d20+15)[31]

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawaeyn View Post
    [You mind if I buy some stuff to replace the Footpads? I promise I won't buy an Unguent of Darkvision or anything like that... ]
    Not until you find somewhere to buy stuff from.
    Last edited by Jokes; 2009-06-12 at 02:41 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Oh, okay. I just thought that I could get something to replace them. Never mind, then. ]

Lucian sighs, still dragging the tiefling through the doorway. "Honestly, Ted (can I call you Ted? I've always wanted to call someone Ted, just for kicks), I would have thought an illithid like yourself would be civilized enough to allow someone to move an obviously helpless adversary out of the direct line of fire."

He pushes the illithid out of his mind, as he had done so many times before to other beings, and as he is momentarily obscured by the doorway, he sends another eddy current to retrieve a flask from within the unknowable depths of his bag of holding. It materializes in front of him, his body obscuring it from the mind flayer. And it tips over, slowly dripping its contents upon the tiefling.
    "I don't have any solvent, so I'm using this. It'll hurt like the Nine Hells, but hopefully this gunk will shield you from most of it. If I... if I die, I want you to run. I didn't leave you alive just so that you can die here."
    He sets her down just outside, the Alchemist's Acid still eating through the resin.

Then, he turns to face the illithid. "Oh come now, there's no need for that. If you want my mind, here it is." He advances ominously on the illithid, disregarding the creatures around him. "Come, probe its depths. Explore my mind, feel the madness! Reach into its depths, oh and tell me what you find... because I honestly don't know what's down there either!" He stands before the tiefling, arms open, inviting the thing before him. "Come! Come and see the madness!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I'm being crazy. Do illithids like crazies? Either way, if it tries to eat my brain, it's going to encounter more than it expected...
    Do I still have to roll initiative? If it's going to attack instead of trying to mindrape me, here's a roll.
    (1d20+7)[27]
    I'm offering myself, but I realise that it could seem intimidating, so...
    (1d20+12)[29]
    If it rolls insight, it'll find that I'm being serious.
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-12 at 02:45 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134

[Crazy? More like suicidal]

The acid appears to have no effect on the resin, you surmise that the creatures too must be resistant to the stuff.

The Illithid considers your words, but the resin men seem to want you for themselves. The one on the ceiling above you blasts you with with a red ray, then scuttles away, while the others leap from the wall and run at you.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+18)[31] vs will
    (1d10+7)[14] psychic and you are weakened (save ends).

The resin men double move toward you.

map

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

[I was wondering how the illithid would take to finding a demon and winter fey lurking in the corners of my mind. I was thinking of having them appear next time I had a dream.

Anyway, which way's the door?]

16. - Top - End - #136

[Right behind you, westward]

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

[What does the 'C' stand for?]

18. - Top - End - #138

[The guy on the ceiling (ceiling is 10 squares high)]

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kill. Kill.

"Well that's hardly fair, is it? I'm not surrendering to you!"
    Lucian backs off slowly, towards the door. He clambers just outside the doorway, before drawing his blade. Unnoticed by anyone else, a flask of alcohol is spread across the ground in the doorway by those ever useful anomalies in the weave of magic. They then hold out another flask, hidden behind him, ready for him to grab it if he needs it.

With a glance over his shoulder at the tiefling, he gives the resin an experimental poke, trying to gauge its strength.

[Moved just outside doorway, where they'll have to take me on one-on-one, unless they smash down the walls, probably causing the ceiling to collapse on them, by the description of the room.
    Readied an action.
    What knowledges do I have to roll to find out about the illithid, resins and lizards?]
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-12 at 03:56 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140

[Readying an action to do what?

a flask of alcohol is spread across the ground in the doorway by those ever useful anomalies in the weave of magic
    Can you please explain this?

And dungeoneering checks for all three, rolled separately.]

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

[It's my Disembodied Hand, except that I don't want to RP it as such, and more of a Chaos Shard. So now it's a sentient disturbance in the weave of magic, capable of no more than manipulating small items.
    And I used it to spread ale all over the ground in the doorway. And possibly a bit further than that.
    You know what? Never mind the second flask. It's still in my bag. I ready to Hellish Rebuke the ground. Shouldn't be to hard to hit, and the ale there should burn for some time. I'll do it when someone enters the door frame square.

My Wisdom mod is... 0... Ah well. Rolling...
    Illithid: (1d20+6)[16]
    Resin: (1d20+6)[21]
    Lizards: (1d20+6)[22]

Can there be separate roll to determine the properties of the resin itself, without much foreknowledge of the source?]
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-12 at 08:23 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142

[A) switching your familiar to active mode is a minor action and would use your move action (which you have already used) to move about
    b) your familiar is capable of manipulating objects (only to make thievery checks), but it not able to carry items itself. A rat is allowed to carry less than 2lbs, but a hand cannot.
    c) ale is not flammable

edit: And technically, you shouldn't even know it's an Illithid.

More knowledge checks to come]
    Last edited by Jokes; 2009-06-12 at 09:41 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Okay, it's my own fault for having a busy past few days but I am thoroughly lost as to where Baeryn is and what's going one. Are we all in combat?
    Melkor, Tiefling Warlock Avatar by Nevitan

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomologist View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Okay, it's my own fault for having a busy past few days but I am thoroughly lost as to where Baeryn is and what's going one. Are we all in combat?
    [No, Lucian's gotten himself into another spot of bother.]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jokes View Post
    [A) switching your familiar to active mode is a minor action and would use your move action (which you have already used) to move about
    b) your familiar is capable of manipulating objects (only to make thievery checks), but it not able to carry items itself. A rat is allowed to carry less than 2lbs, but a hand cannot.
    c) ale is not flammable

edit: And technically, you shouldn't even know it's an Illithid.

More knowledge checks to come]
    ...Fine... I'll move to the door, and ready an Eldritch Strike, shall I?

Quote Originally Posted by Jokes View Post
    [No, Lucian's gotten himself into another spot of bother.]
    It was the only lead I had!
    Short of taking a long time to take 20 on a Perception check.
    Anyway, ditching her would have been just plain rude.
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-12 at 09:57 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146

Knowledge checks-

Spoiler
    Show
    The lizards are Destrachans, blind lizards that use sonar to track their prey. They are capable of mimicing sounds they hear, sometimes to trick their prey into coming closer. They are able to send blasts of sound like thunder to incapacitate their prey.

The resin men were once a sect who worshiped Ioun called the Kaorti. They managed to teleport themselves into the Far Realm, where they became corrupted and transformed into the beings you see.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Sagary glares at the man. The fool obviously has no idea what he's doing, questioning the sorceror like that, but though he wishes to see the man's corpse, blackened and smoking on the floor, he restrains his fury for now. He is powerful, but even he would have some difficulty with several armed men. "My aid," he growls in response to the guard's question, "Now leave me."

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate - (1d20+17)[29]
    Insight - (1d20+11)[30]
    Perception - (1d20+11)[27]

Also, still ready for Storm Walk if I get attacked.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

"I will," Kasimira states, looking to Jacob. "Someone must...answer for this."
    Last edited by Belobog; 2009-06-12 at 10:29 PM.
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

Just when you thought you had the advantage,
    A riddle backstabbed you for critical damage.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Their turns now. I'll roll Eldritch Strike now, because it's gonna interrupt the turn of whoever first ends their movement in the doorway, sliding them back one, preventing any melee powers. If it hits.
    I'd imagine I'd have encountered some illithids before, being level 11. Or at least recognize a creature that has an octopus for a face to by a mind flayer. Even if I'm not too clear on what they can actually do. ]

Spoiler
    Show
    Eldritch Strike:
    (1d20+15)[24] against AC, dealing (1d8+9)[17] cold damage and the aforementioned sliding.

30. - Top - End - #150

Lucian-

[Your Dungeoneering roll says otherwise. You are metagaming. For all you know, Illithids could be rarer in this setting.]

You wait for a moment, but nothing seems to happen. You hear a few faint voices inside, and you see the Kaorti run for the wall and start climbing and you can't see into the room well enough to see the Destrachans.

Sagary-

A wry smile spreads across the guards face and he gently puts a hand to your chest. "Do you know how many people have walked up these steps wanting to see Oengrin, pulling the same stunt you just did? Perhaps you should count the blood spatters down there." He points down to the ground floor. "If you're wanting to see Oengrin, you better bring something better than words."

Kasimira-

[Jacob isn't a halfling ]