New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Against the Cult of the Reptile God (IC)

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Bree Yark

"Bree Yark expect reward," he says to the Mayor. "Bree Yark keep money. Bree Yark solve problem."
    Before the mayor leaves he looks at Bree Yark sternly.

"Solved what problem? That three trogs were using a dilapidated inn as shelter? And what happened as a result? Oh yes, half my town was nearly burnt to the ground!"

He notices the constable eavesdropping and threatens the man with a backhand to get him to leave.

"You'll be rewarded when you figure out what the hell is behind the disappearances and weird attitudes. Three trogs aren't likely the cause of it! Until then, this money was on my property in a building I commissioned and by order of the king it's entitled to the town's coffers. If you won't help, I'll gladly use this small fortune to hire someone who can.

Excuse me."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Bree Yark

With a confused look on his face, Bree looks at the party. "Bree Yark no understand. Mayor nice before. Mayor not now. Bree Yark vote hermit. Talk to hermit. Maybe know something?"
    Last edited by Darius; 2009-08-09 at 11:49 PM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Anton

With a sidelong glance at Sati, Anton said, sotto voce, "Methinks the mayor 'not nice' because an unnamed person or persons set fire to an inn which was apparently his property. Somehow." An expressive shrug. "Well. I'm with you, Bree Yark. Let's go talk to the hermit, see what comes of all this. We're kind of at loose ends at the moment...I would say there's no harm in asking questions, but that is obviously not the case around here."
    'Know thyself'? If I knew myself, I would run away.
    --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

((I'm assuming everyone's heading to the hermit's pad as the rest of the town is fighting the fire. You probably clean the gore from your clothing in the lake unless you enjoy the musky stench of the troglodytes.))

The hermit lives in a grove half a mile from town. The narrow trail winds among majestic elms, at times disappearing into thick shrubbery. The bushes between the trees are dense, rising to a height of eight or ten feet. The elms themselves average 75' tall, and they are the only trees here. They are widely spaced, allowing much sunlight to pour their ancient boughs. The church bells ring three times off in the distance.

You approach a small, one roomed hut in the center of the grove. There's a single window with the drapes drawn and a chimney has smoke emitting from it. Before you knock you hear someone from within call "Enter!"

The hut is modestly furnished with skins and rugs. The fireplace has a pot of stew boiling, filling the hut with a pleasant smell. In one corner are pillows and rugs making up a bed and the only furniture is an elm coffee table and a posh recliner.

Sitting in the recliner is an elderly man of at least seventy. He's bald with thick eyebrows and a foot long gray beard. He's dressed in simple clothing with a glittering ring on his right hand and a gnarled staff resting across his lap. What looks like an fur stole draped around his shoulders is actually a weasel which perks its head up.

"Welcome, travellers. I don't get many visitors 'round these parts. Please, have a seat on the floor and tell me of the world outside my peaceful grove."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Barbara the barbarian

Barbara takes the time to wash up after the gory fight with the troglodytes. Then she follows the others to the hermit. Upon entering, she finds the surroundings comfortable, and more suited to her tastes than the other buildings she’s been in around town.

She also decides to let the halfling do the talking, since he likes the sound of his own voice.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2009-08-10 at 01:28 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126

PirateCaptain

Bree Yark

"Bree Yark am Bree Yark," Bree says by way of introduction. "Grove peaceful. Town not peaceful. We fight troglodytes. Troglodytes worship snake-god. Know of snake-god? Others worship snake-god? Bree Yark think constable. Constable bad man."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

The hermit is dumbstruck. After a minute of just staring into space he grabs the draconic letter and looks it over.

"Wow. My name's Rasme, Um, thanks for spilling your guts to a perfect stranger. I was hoping for small talk as my legs are weak and I don't leave this hut often but hey, beggers can't be choosers."

"Let's see... it's draconic and in a different dialect but I can translate. 'This month's donations for Her Majesty and some good food for yourselves. I received word that five travelers will be inquiring on our guest. I shall delay them until the next dawn and let them be on their way. Move the donations tonight or you'll surely draw attention.'

Curious. It's in a troglodyte dialect but written by a human's hand. Well, not necessarily "human" but something with four fingers and an opposable thumb. Point is, it wasn't written by troglodytes but rather for them.

I may be able to help identify that ugly statue but I'm afraid my books got all wet when Whiskers here spilled water on them."

He glares sternly at the weasel around his neck.

"Come back in the morning when I've finished drying the pages. Don't want to smear the ink, you know?"

Rasme will provide small talk and a helping of his meal if asked. He doesn't talk about anything beyond current events.
    Last edited by jmbrown; 2009-08-17 at 01:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128

PirateCaptain

Bree Yark

"Bree Yark not small. Why talk small?" Bree turns to his companions. "Guest is merchant. We are five. Note about us. Bree Yark getting mad. Bree Yark notice something. Constable sweating earlier. Elf read note. Note made nervous. Worried he understood. Constable not alone. Another leads Constable. Need tell mayor?" Bree turns to the hermit. "Draw words. Words Bree Yark reads. Write what say." Bree points to the Draconic note.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

The hermit writes the note out in common and sees you on your way.

The church bells strike four and the sun is beginning to set.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Barbara
    The warrior woman grabs the note and looks at it. She puzzles over it for a moment before giving up and handing it over to someone who can actually read. She then curiously looks over that person’s shoulder while he/she reads it and asks.

well? what does it say?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    Barbara
    The warrior woman grabs the note and looks at it. She puzzles over it for a moment before giving up and handing it over to someone who can actually read. She then curiously looks over that person’s shoulder while he/she reads it and asks.

well? what does it say?
    Rasme waves at Barbara.

"Did you not hear me? I'll repeat myself:

'This month's donations for Her Majesty and some good food for yourselves. I received word that five travelers will be inquiring on our guest. I shall delay them until the next dawn and let them be on their way. Move the donations tonight or you'll surely draw attention.'

12. - Top - End - #132

PirateCaptain

Bree Yark

Bree reads the note over again and nods. He looks to the others to see what they wish to do.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw