New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61

Default Re: Test of Spite Exhibition - Tanaric vs PhoenixRivers

Quote Originally Posted by Tanaric View Post
    Interesting. I've always been taught that it's polite to say "good game" or some variation thereof, despite the outcome. Yes, I could have said: "Heh. Well... that was anticlimactic." or "Huh. Well, that's that, I guess." but why? Anything on that order is exceptionally rude as far as I'm concerned. You are far and away the exception to the rule in this case. I wasn't trying to be patronizing.
    Actually, the "antclimactic" comment would have gotten a better response from me. Empathy, and all.

I'm sure you realize it, given that you directly addressed it, but your responses were unnecessarily harsh, and borderline offensive.
    To paraphrase NPH from Harold and Kumar, "Yeah, it was a jerk move. That's why I apologized for it."

What I felt (at the time) was your lack of sportmanship wasn't an excuse for mine. I stated that. Dragging me over the coals over something I've acknowledged, apologized for, and expressed regret over, is a bit... excessive, IMO.
    Careful wording to fit into the bounds of polite conversation doesn't change that. I worried about that happening, given that I've seen it happen before, and so I wasn't terribly offended when it came around. However, I'm not interested in being insulted for playing a game of numbers, so I decline your offer for future matches. I played this one to help you test a character at your request, rather than seeking out a match. The outcome never mattered to me, and with that level of emotional investment, fleeting as it may have been, I'll avoid future ones.
    It wasn't about the "emotional investment". It was my perception of having been treated rudely. It wasn't an emotional investment in the match.
    Good night or good morning, as the case may be. I hope the match helped with something, short as it was.
    It didn't. Which is why I provisionally accepted your earlier offer. I'm sorry that you misinterpreted the source of my earlier irritation. That's something that's beyond my control, however.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2010-03-01 at 05:46 AM.