New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Age of Warriors Testing -- Zany (IC)

As is ever the case, our adventure begins in a tavern....

The waitress (a trusted, though secret, contact of yours) has left food and ale on your table, and an annotated map tucked under the napkins. The food includes a ripe banana, but absolutely no pie.

The tavern is a simple place: one large, tall-ceilinged room with four round tables and a bar. Three very drunk men sit at the bar, and one of the other tables holds a party of wandering scholars. The door is on one side of the wall opposite the bar. At the end of the bar facing the door is a walled off bathroom (powered by magics you'd rather not contemplate at mealtime). Your table is in the corner furthest from the bathroom. Behind the bar is a staircase leading down, presumably to the wine cellar (you've never been, nor are you allowed).

The tavern is also on fire. It was ignited just a moment ago by a great blast of flame that shot in through the door.
    Last edited by dspeyer; 2010-09-16 at 11:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Warriors Testing -- Zany (IC)

Gibbles the Giggler stands and shakes himself (switching to Flame's Blessing stance for Energy Resistance 10) and grabs the map, pocketing it rapidly for safe keeping.

To the room at large(assuming there IS a back door, if not, then I am spending my standard action to deal 10d6, half slashing, half bludgeoning to a wall with my fine china to MAKE a door. Note that the broken pieces of china vanish almost instantly.):
    "All part of the show! You are in no danger for the moment, but you soon will be if you don't leave through the BACK. We will meet you around there in a moment, but we have to go join the show out front first." 38 (took me a few tries, but I re-figured-out how to work the dice)

(assuming that works, otherwise the following is addressed to Krank only)
    [monotone drawl]"Now that just makes me mad. Krank, Rolath, Grant does that make you mad? I think we should go tell them how mad that makes us feel."[/monotone drawl]

IF the bluff check didn't have the intended result then add the following:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Rolath, Grant why don't you go help the nice people out through the back, then come around and meet us out front?"

Gibbles starts making for the front door, ducking to walk under tables where prudent to stay out of the potential path of any large people who might trample him in a panic (so probably NOT any party members).
    Spoiler
    Show
    He isn't concerned about the fire, since it can't burn him hardly at all, and he is low enough to the ground that he will be well out of the building before smoke becomes a problem, even if he pauses at the door for cover.

If he sees anyone likely to be the fire-thrower, and hasn't used his Fine China Drop yet, they are getting it from whatever cover he can safely take near the door.

Damage for Fine China Drop (regardless of target) will be 34,
    Spoiler
    Show
    if it is an attacker, rather than a wall, then they get a DC 22 reflex save to catch it (which has some negative effects of its own.

You gaze coolly at a selected creature and several shelves worth of masterwork serving ceramic-ware falls on and around them them (no matter how low the ceiling may be). If strikes the ground it the target takes 10d6(half bludgeoning, half slashing) ((originally 15d6)), for purposes of overcoming damage reduction, regeneration, etc the china counts as Chaotic and Magically aligned. If your initiator level is at least 21 then it also counts as an Epic weapon for those purposes. This damage may be negated with a reflex save to catch the falling china, however, if the save is successful, the target is flatfooted and may not take any other actions until it it takes a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity, or a full round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity to safely dispose of the china. The save has a DC of 16 + your wisdom modifier and may be voluntarily failed as normal. The target is aware of the consequences of both succeeding and failing the save. The china disappears immediately after it deals damage or is safely disposed of.
    This maneuver is a supernatural ability.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-09-17 at 05:43 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #3

Spoiler
    Show

There is no back door. Which wall are you smashing? The one to the street (which has the front door at one end)? The one with the bar all along it? A side wall that may be shared with another building?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Probably one behind the bar, since that is furthest from the front door where the fire effect came from, and isn't just going to lead them into another building which will almost certainly shortly ALSO be on fire.

EDIT: Err... if possible, and if some bottles etc are going to get broken, Gibbles would be aiming at his best guess of the stretch of wall that has the LEAST total flammability to the liquid on it.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-09-17 at 02:03 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Rolath sits and frowns as the various points of ignition begin to spread. "Yes I suppose it does make me mad, after all is this any way to treat a drinking establishment?" He queries, grasping his glave from where it leaned against the wall. He makes his way towards the door, threading his way around tables, people, and what fire he can, glave up high and at the ready.

(ooc Readied Spear = on)

6. - Top - End - #6

The fine china easily smashes through the thin wall behind the bar, destroying a depressingly large quantity of good wine (but sparing the hard liquor). Revealed behind the wall is a narrow, litter-strewn alley off packed dirt. The staff flees immediately, but both the drunks and the scholars have difficulty vaulting the bar.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Gibbles is situationally aware enough to glance behind him (mostly to avoid getting blindsided by a foe or soft-footed escaping non-combatant). He notices the problem at the bar. He yells over his shoulder at them (EDIT: Meaning the drunks and the travelling scholars) as he continues on his way to the front door:
    "Drag a chair over you dim-wits! Take it from a short guy, a step up can make all the difference!"

((Thank Gygax talking is a free action... also, nix the whole thing if there is some reason this is a bad plan for them(EDIT:Ditto) to follow, such as being slower than simply taking what time they need to get over the bar... 8 INT but 20 Wisdom here, so roll or not as necessary.))
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-09-18 at 12:18 PM.
    Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #8

Krank was sitting and enjoying his food, when the tavern was set ablaze by a flame blast. What the... - the kobold thought, jumping up from his seat, the hilt of his magic sword in his hands, when Gibbles smashed through a door. A chair?.. Well, I hope he know's what he's doing...

"Ja, mon!" - he said in his deep, growelling voice, which added even more mysteriousness to the kobold, closing his eyes and uttering a small prayer to the spirits, while rushing outside.

"Ayeght... Who be messin' with da voodoo?" - he said in the same voice, looking around for someone who might be the source of the fire, ready to rumble. Damn, I love my voice. - were the thoughts he got, mostly, influenced by his vestige Naberius, of course.

Spoiler
    Show

Entering Assassin's stance.

Eldritch sword ready.

Grabbing a chair and taking it to Gibbles, while going outside.

Ready action - eldritch hellfire sword strike vs anything hostile entering reach.
    Last edited by Critical; 2010-09-18 at 06:25 PM.
    Awesome Bleachatar by Terry576.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Levethix the Dray Arcane Swordsage from the harsh world of Dark Sun.

Fallout bloody mess avatar by C-Lam.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Grant moves into a point position with his shield readied to deflect incoming attacks.

Spoiler
    Show
    He is in the Defensive Mastery stance

10. - Top - End - #10

Rushing out the front door, Krank nearly collides with what could only be the arsonist. The creature is 10 feet tall, vaguely humanoid, and utterly hideous. Its outside is a mix of bumpy green skin and scattered red scales. A pair of incongrous bat-like wings are awkwardly folded behind its back. It wears a loincloth of animal skin and clumsy chainmail, and wields a greataxe bigger than its head. Its nostrils are still smoking. Seeing Krank, it roars in fury and swings its greataxe twice at him.

Meanwhile, the scholars have used the chair and gotten clear, while the drunks are trying to move the nailed-down barstools. The fire is spreading.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack1: (1d20+11)[24]
    Damage1: (3d6+32)[42]
    Attack2: (1d20+6)[25]
    Damage2: (3d6+32)[46]

Everyone inside takes (1d6)[5] fire damage (reduce as needed)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

"Those are nailed down! I said CHAIRS, not STOOLS!"
    Aside, perhaps to Grant: "What a bunch of marroons..."

Gibbles moves up directly behind Grant and calls out to the aggressor. "Don't you know that messing with a Vooduin tends to bring on very bad luck?" A very small black raincloud (about the size of a well-fed cow) speeds in at an altitude of about 20 feet, and delivers a stroke of lightning for 16 damage (Reflex DC 20 for half) to the arsonist before racing off again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moving adjacent to Grant to get the 20% miss chance his stance provides to allies while staying as far from the arsonist as possible, then using Unlucky Raincloud.

EDIT: Forgot the +5 for discipline focus... that will be 21 damage (DC 20 reflex save for half)
    ((Still a pretty bad roll...))
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-09-22 at 01:14 AM.
    Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Rolath comes to a stop a few spaces behind Krank, coughing momentarily to clear the smoke from his lungs, then begins to sing a tune seeking to urge his companions to new heights, ever higher... right as Krank gets his own bell rung a bit overloud.

(starting inspire courage)
    Last edited by userpay; 2010-09-19 at 11:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Grant moves adjacent to Krank and attacks the beast with moment of weakness. Lets see if you can really bring it!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

((Checking posts 9 and 10 in the dice thread shows that that is a 24+Inspire courage to hit for 28 damage. In future, you should at least link to the relevant post(s) on the dice thread, and perhaps copy the outcome over as I did.))
    ((There is something in the full text of moment of weakness that is relevant, but it really should specify if the enemy is automatically aware of the fact... everything but the header follows:))
    Spoiler
    Show
    With a calculated appearance of weakness, you attack a foe, forcing them to overplay their hand. As part of this maneuver, you make a single melee attack against an opponent. If it hits, it deals an additional 5d6 damage. The attack provokes an attack of opportunity from the enemy you attack. If they choose to make it, but they miss you, they are unable to take standard actions for 1 round.

EDIT: And, now that I think of it, an 18 Spot check to see the smoke coming from the arsonist's nostrils (might be completely unnecessary but I am trying to save time).
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-09-22 at 06:23 PM.
    Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #15

The creature grunts softly as Grant's blow connects, but it then gives something the passes for a smile as it sees him vulnerable.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+11)[13]
    Damage: (3d6+32)[43]

16. - Top - End - #16

The creature falls into the trap with a perfection Grant has seldom achieved. The massive axe embeds itself solidly in the floor as the warrior dances easily to the side. The creature shifts its weight and tugs at the axe, to no avail.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Gibbles now looks more colorful, his darks darker, his colors brighter... but somewhat flatter, as if light falls on him in a much simpler way from what it would for any fully real object.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Swift Action to change to Stance of the Looney. Cosmetic effect of becoming slightly cel shaded.

He grits his teeth, showing a grim seriousness he rarely does in battle. He stares at the arsonist, and if he was looking at his eyes, rather than his knees, you would say he was challenging him to a duel of wills. The moment passes quickly, and he bursts out laughing, pointing. "Hahahaha! Right into the wall! Hahahahahaha! Good one Grant! Hahahahahahahahahaha!
    To the Arsonist: "Hey Dude! That was beautiful! You ought to take tango lessons, but it might be pretty hard to find a dress in your size!
    (1d20+5)[21] Perform(Comedy) to find out how funny his delivery is ((not that it has any mechanical effect at all.))
    Spoiler
    Show
    Full-Round action to re-pick and regain maneuvers. New list from highest level to lowest:
    Fine China Drop
    Bouncing Escape
    Pull Yourself Together
    Stormcloud of Misfortune
    Anvil Drop
    Zany Dodge
    Pie to the Face
    Zany Mind
    Extended Signature

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

((Not sure I can edit the above without it re-rolling the die, so I am using this to say that the teeth-gritting was Gibbles making sure the Primal Comedy within him was refreshing and re-inventing itself at the expense of the ARSONIST, rather than the DRUNKS. Although perhaps with that roll I could have mocked them into taking more appropriate action...))
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-09-23 at 09:46 AM.
    Extended Signature

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

(ooc and peoples don't forget about yer +2 bonus's from my inspire courage)

Rolath's glave begins to vibrate, taking his tune for its own. Then song begins to shift as Rolath goes on the offensive, the two halves blending into a seamless whole.

Spoiler
    Show
    Letting the harmonic enchantment take over my singing (10 rounds), free action to activate the lance itself, will be dealing piercing damage as base.
    executing healing haiku
    (1d20+17)[33]
    (2d6+4)[12]
    (1d6)[4]
    and if that hits then Krank will heal for
    (1d20+17)[26]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Grant attempts to keep the momentum going with a stunning bash.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+18[/roll]
    If it hits the arsonist takes (1d12+10)[21] and if it has less than 11 hd it has to make a DC 19 fortitude save or be stunned.
    Last edited by Lans; 2010-09-29 at 09:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

The arsonist shrugs off the blow that might have stunned a lesser creature, and continues to tug at its axe, cursing in a near-incomprehesible mix of giant and draconic. At long last, the axe comes free.

The waitress has taken pity on the drunks and dragged them over the counter by brute force. They stagger into the alley. The room continues to burn.

Spoiler
    Show

Fire damage: (1d6)[6]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Gibbles shrieks in an amusing fashion as he gets burned... in fact SUCH an amusing fashion that it oddly lifts the spirits of everyone who can both see and hear him, except for the arsonist.
    Spoiler
    Show

Using Tragedy Leads to Comedy, provides a +4 moral bonus to a certain type of save to his allies (which I am including any random innocent bystanders in) for 1 round, note that this happens at the same "speed" as an immediate action, but is a free action.
    (1d6)[5] (1-2 Fortitude, 3-4 Reflex, 5-6 Will)

Gibbles 5' steps back from the arsonist and about 20 place-servings of exquisite porcelain appear above the nasty creature's head.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fine China Drop again.
    Damage
    (10d6)[41]
    Saving throw (IF he is going to attempt to catch the china) is DC 22.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fine China Drop
    Falling Anvil (Strike) [Chaos]
    Level: Swordsage 6
    Prerequisite: 3? Falling Anvil maneuvers, non-lawful alignment
    Initiation Action: 1 standard action
    Range: 60 feet
    Target: One creature
    Duration: Instantaneous/One Round
    Saving Throw: Reflex Alters
    You gaze coolly at a selected creature and several shelves worth of masterwork serving ceramic-ware falls on and around them them (no matter how low the ceiling may be). If strikes the ground it the target takes 10d6(half bludgeoning, half slashing) ((originally 15d6)), for purposes of overcoming damage reduction, regeneration, etc the china counts as Chaotic and Magically aligned. If your initiator level is at least 21 then it also counts as an Epic weapon for those purposes. This damage may be negated with a reflex save to catch the falling china, however, if the save is successful, the target is flatfooted and may not take any other actions until it it takes a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity, or a full round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity to safely dispose of the china. The save has a DC of 16 + your wisdom modifier and may be voluntarily failed as normal. The target is aware of the consequences of both succeeding and failing the save. The china disappears immediately after it deals damage or is safely disposed of.
    This maneuver is a supernatural ability.
    Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Rolath's glave weaves around momentarily before diving back at the enemy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Using Sword’s Song.
    (1d20+17)[22]
    [roll]2d6+17+1d6[/roll]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    sigh... I much prefer myth-weavers rolling system
    (2d6+17)[26]
    (1d6)[1]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Full attack with the shield (1d20+16)[35] (1d20+11)[18]

If they hit (1d12+8)[20] (1d12+8)[20]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Gibbles takes X more fire damage, as another raincloud appears above the arsonist just long enough to for a bolt of lightning to strike him.

Spoiler
    Show
    (6d6+5)[24] Reflex DC 20 for half.
    Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

(Bump due to indecisive players and/or GM...)
    Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

(And another... I really don't like PMing people, but I guess I might try it this time around as well if this doesn't clear up).
    Extended Signature

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Aren't we waiting on the DM?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

((See my previous statement... incidently, once things start moving again, we should probably delete all these OOC messages.))
    Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    (Bump due to indecisive players and/or GM...)
    ((Well, he could roll the fire damage, but unless I am misunderstanding something, the arsonist isn't taking any actions this round. In truth I have forgotten the specifics of the turns, and the only thing I KNOW is that it ISN'T mine. PM the GM and see what is up I don't have space in my box.))
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-10-27 at 09:23 PM.
    Extended Signature