New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,494 of 1494
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Warhammer and WH40K RPGs II: Burning Witches, Heretics, and Fate

My players captured a shipyard/drydock in spess. What are some good ways to mess with them other than having those still loyal to the old regime on board or the usual mechanical miahaps?
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

Steam ID: blacklight101

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blacklight101 View Post
    My players captured a shipyard/drydock in spess. What are some good ways to mess with them other than having those still loyal to the old regime on board or the usual mechanical miahaps?
    Depending on where they are...

Genestealers! Orks!

Event Horizon/Daemon shenanigans!

Xeno-tech! Archaeotech! Tech-heresy!

People wanting to buy it! People claiming they own it!

Enemies trying to steal it!

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    Depending on where they are...

Genestealers! Orks!

Event Horizon/Daemon shenanigans!

Xeno-tech! Archaeotech! Tech-heresy!

People wanting to buy it! People claiming they own it!

Enemies trying to steal it!
    All of the above. At the same time.

4. - Top - End - #1474

Zombie

And some of their shenanigans earned some of it, certainly. 'Stealer hybrids, some good ol' tech heresy, and people trying to reclaim it are probably best.

Should I have the first hybrids able to over-rotate their necks a little too much? Just some hints that things are a little off, then OMG, PURESTRAINS! RUN!!!

Man, I may have to combine this with my wife's idea too. They might lose the shipyard if they arent careful now. I like it.

Thanks!
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Never discount the possibility of pirates or eldar or eldar pirates.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Or Necrons, the mutants living in the underdecks attempting to take over, a chaos cult attempting to plunge the shipyard into a warp storm, human pirates, Rogue Traders, the Inquisition, the Imperial Navy, etc etc etc.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Troll in the Playground

A Rogue Trader question for more experienced players. A friend who has been threatening to run Rogue Trader for ages tried a first session today to test the rules and everything seemed to go ok apart from the gunfight.
    In a fight between two P.C.s and a Cyberskull and two bad guys over 25 shots were fired and no-one was even slightly hurt ! The armour I understand and the cover I got ( and we were actually unlucky) but its the Dodge skill I'm not sure we got right.
    Anybody hit gets a Dodge to avoid the first shot, even if they are already behind cover, even if the weapon is firing las bolts at stupendous speed, they still get to Dodge them. Is that correct or did we mess up, cause y'know 25 shots without a wound seems a bit..........off
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

8. - Top - End - #1478

Were they only getting one Dodge per turn? If so, that's not unreasonable if your dice are particularly bad. Starting-level Rogue Trader PCs are almost entirely dependent on their gear/starting Acquisitions to pump their stat checks, with basic/bad gear they're not much above Dark Heresy Acolytes (whose stats suck). So between low BS scores to hit, nobody firing on Full Auto (that +20 is huge when your BS is in the 30's), and then Dodge training (assuming everyone was trained, that is not guaranteed for all classes), then you can go for a slog like that.

Hitting in RT is about stacking modifiers. Inspirational bonuses from your Trader, firing on Full Auto, Good or Best-quality weapons, Red-dot sights, appropriate bionics - you can get some crazy to-hit modifiers going, and you can get some crazy Dodge modifiers as well. I remember playing a Kroot Mercenary character once, his Dodge score was in the 90's, and could get over 100 in low light conditions. Not very high ranked either - had the +10 Dodge training boost, but most of his bonuses were from cherry-picking super-valuable gear with my starting purchases.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2015-06-20 at 07:18 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    A Rogue Trader question for more experienced players. A friend who has been threatening to run Rogue Trader for ages tried a first session today to test the rules and everything seemed to go ok apart from the gunfight.
    In a fight between two P.C.s and a Cyberskull and two bad guys over 25 shots were fired and no-one was even slightly hurt ! The armour I understand and the cover I got ( and we were actually unlucky) but its the Dodge skill I'm not sure we got right.
    Anybody hit gets a Dodge to avoid the first shot, even if they are already behind cover, even if the weapon is firing las bolts at stupendous speed, they still get to Dodge them. Is that correct or did we mess up, cause y'know 25 shots without a wound seems a bit..........off
    Yes, that's right. One dodge per person per round. It's an abstraction, and if the weapon is firing multiple rounds because full auto or something, it might not get rid of all of them. If everyone's trading single-shot fire around, though, it's entirely possible for the dodges to land that way, though somewhat unlikely.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

That's also why the characters should try to focus fire on targets that have already expended their Dodge for the round.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

OK, just for clarity, I've never actually played a 40k RPG; I own a copy of DH2 (beautiful, beautiful book), but I keep looking at the rules and thinking "I'm going to enjoy playing this, but it's going to be despite the rules, not because of them". I think the 40k setting is an awesome one to RP in, even more so than Fantasy (which I've played a fair bit of and loved), but the DH2 rules (which I much prefer to DH1) are just a bit too clunky, not focused on investigation nearly enough for the style of game I think DH should be and there's a fair few holes.

So, I've been thinking of other RP-systems that could capture the feel of 40k and do it justice. One I've kind of settled on is "The One Ring", the Lord of the Rings RPG. It's narratively focused, has a corruption mechanic, a social encounter system that is both diverse and easy to use and an abstract combat system that is quick and intuitive (perfect for not taking the focus away from the "investigation" aspect of the game). All it needs is a new 'skin' to reflavour it from LotR to 40k.

I was wondering if anyone here that is familiar with both systems had any suggestions as to how I might go about this. I've some ideas of my own already, but I like to take any and all suggestions before positing my own.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks to everybody who answered, I'm glad to know we didn't get the rules wrong. (Of course we might alter them anyway but we will see how the Dodge rule works in less unlucky fights first)

Also isn't it time 'for name the new thread'
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2015-06-21 at 10:59 AM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

13. - Top - End - #1483

Warhammer and WH40K RPGs III: Heretic Tested, Inqusition Approved

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Titan in the Playground

I much prefer "With friends like these, who needs heresies?". A little more friendly to the WFRP side. Considering that the thread name discussion passed without consensus a few pages back before everything went quiet, I was planning to start a new thread with that name any day now.

15. - Top - End - #1485

That implies anyone actually plays the Fantasy RPG.

16. - Top - End - #1486

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I much prefer "With friends like these, who needs heresies?". A little more friendly to the WFRP side. Considering that the thread name discussion passed without consensus a few pages back before everything went quiet, I was planning to start a new thread with that name any day now.

I like it for the same reasons. Fantasy's just such a great system for creating characters. It's definitely given me some of my better ideas for characters, or at least their backgrounds. The 40k stuff is good and crunchy and I like it, but there's something about that WFRP 2E that I really enjoy more than other systems.

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by blacklight101 View Post
    ...there's something about that WFRP 2E that I really enjoy more than other systems.
    I dunno, there was something about 2E that didn't quite gel for me. I came from years of playing 1E, so maybe I'm just coloured by my love of the first edition, but 2E was just felt a bit too...pandering? I'm not sure that's the right word, but for me WHFRP has always been about being the underdog, the not-so-impressive-or-important and where 2E goes wrong is by introducing those "special" Careers that are just troop-types from the wargame. I know 1E had the Trollslayer and such, but 2E has a whole bunch of them.

Don't get me wrong, the 2E rules are much neater and technically that makes it a "better" game, but part of the charm of 1E for me, was that the rules didn't quite mesh, that they were a little clunky/quirky/unbalanced.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    That implies anyone actually plays the Fantasy RPG.
    Actually just started playing in a WFRP 2nd Ed campaign.
    ( Two sessions in and my Hobbit has nearly got his head caved in a by Beastman already )
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2015-06-21 at 04:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    I dunno, there was something about 2E that didn't quite gel for me. I came from years of playing 1E, so maybe I'm just coloured by my love of the first edition, but 2E was just felt a bit too...pandering? I'm not sure that's the right word, but for me WHFRP has always been about being the underdog, the not-so-impressive-or-important and where 2E goes wrong is by introducing those "special" Careers that are just troop-types from the wargame. I know 1E had the Trollslayer and such, but 2E has a whole bunch of them.

Don't get me wrong, the 2E rules are much neater and technically that makes it a "better" game, but part of the charm of 1E for me, was that the rules didn't quite mesh, that they were a little clunky/quirky/unbalanced.
    So you enjoy 1E because it's clunky, but dislike Dark Heresy 2 because it's clunky?
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    So you enjoy 1E because it's clunky, but dislike Dark Heresy 2 because it's clunky?
    Heh, yeah I guess. Call it incongruous if you will but 1E has a nostalgia value working for it. When something new comes out, however, I expect it to be an improvement over previous iterations. 1E WHFRP was the first iteration of the series that has most recently produced DH2, so I can forgive it its eccentricities. DH2 on the other hand, whilst better than DH1, is still a clunky game and after however many editions of WHFRP and the whole series of 40k RPG's (DH1, Rogue Trader, etc.) I'd expect it to have ironed out a few more wrinkles than it has.

21. - Top - End - #1491

It's a pity GW just killed the Fantasy license for all intents and purposes. I might have liked a Fantasy RPG built on the DH/RT/DW game engine.

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Titan in the Playground

I would be unsurprised by WFRP 4E set in the Age Of Sigmar or whatever they're calling the new universe.

Anyway! Here is a new thread, since we will be hitting page 51 pretty soon.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2015-06-22 at 08:11 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Dwarf in the Playground

Despite an absolutely glacial writing pace, the next chapter of the All Guardsmen Party is finally up!

We head out to catch a cool bug for our boss. Cells are repaired, an incredibly hostile system is visited, Space Marines are met, communications breakdown repeatedly, and a journey is started.

Here's the HTML, archive, and imgur links to The All Guardsmen Party: Tyranid Acquisition Experts:
    https://googledrive.com/host/0B3Z9sX...dFWXM/agp.html
    http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/40747009
    http://imgur.com/gallery/iVHrS//

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shoggy View Post
    Despite an absolutely glacial writing pace, the next chapter of the All Guardsmen Party is finally up!

We head out to catch a cool bug for our boss. Cells are repaired, an incredibly hostile system is visited, Space Marines are met, communications breakdown repeatedly, and a journey is started.

Here's the HTML, archive, and imgur links to The All Guardsmen Party: Tyranid Acquisition Experts:
    https://googledrive.com/host/0B3Z9sX...dFWXM/agp.html
    http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/40747009
    http://imgur.com/gallery/iVHrS//
    I think you've missed our new thread! I've copied this across though - thanks for keeping us posted. You have no idea how much i'm looking forward to seeing Nubby meet a loyalist marine.