New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: MitD III: You are likely to suggest Tarrasque

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless Error View Post
    But what about the size? The MitD seems to be a medium creature!
    I thought I had mentioned that but apparently not... The idea is that the MitD is small because he is still a child. We know from the elves that some species can remain children with childish minds for a very long time from the human point of view.

2. - Top - End - #1352

Daemon

@Nerdanel: The way you have put this together, could the MitD not just as well be a pseudonatural phrenic <insert preferred creature with lots of HD here> as well as a Tarrasque?

3. - Top - End - #1353

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bingo View Post
    @Nerdanel: The way you have put this together, could the MitD not just as well be a pseudonatural phrenic <insert preferred creature with lots of HD here> as well as a Tarrasque?
    The main benefits of using a Tarrasque:
    - Eats a lot and indiscriminately
    - It would be surprising if it spoke
    - Has the Swallow Whole ability which explains why Xykon didn't get suspicious when the babies disappeared suddenly
    - At least one mental score really low (I would prefer Wis, but nothing remotely applicable has naturally low Wis, necessitating childhood/ability drain shenanigans to justify them)

But really I used the Tarrasque since it's more iconic than its closest SRD competitors, Protean and Dream Larva, and to show that it can be done. And anyway, those two as base creatures don't take proper advantage of the perks offered by the Pseudonatural/Phrenic combination.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Do you think that the MITD could be the Tarrasque of the world in the rift?

5. - Top - End - #1355

Quote Originally Posted by mastermind View Post
    Do you think that the MITD could be the Tarrasque of the world in the rift?
    That seems to be walking the line between something created by Rich for the purposes of the comic and something already existing.
    Hi!
    --Timeless Error, Emerald Knight and Champion of Green in the Playground

A lot of clutter used to be here. Now it's here. Please click the link and read my extended signature!

Thanks to the amazing Aruius for my excellent Emerald Knight in Action avatar!

Legend, an awesome RPG. 1.0 now out!

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
    I thought I had mentioned that but apparently not... The idea is that the MitD is small because he is still a child. We know from the elves that some species can remain children with childish minds for a very long time from the human point of view.
    But if it were a child, particularly so small it fits under the umbrella, it's strength would be nowhere near enough. We're talking about a baby about a thousandth of the size of the grown creature.

Yes, I understand that this is a mental experiment to develop a probable Rich template. But it would work best if you applied it to a medium size creature with enough initial strength. Take a troll, if you want, for the other characteristics that you like in a Tarrasque (i.e. famous, hungry, ugly). You needn't use the forerrunners, that already explain everything quite well, as the base creature.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-02-07 at 04:46 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #1357

BlueWizardGirl

The biggest problem with the troll is that it has only 6 HD. The Phrenic template doesn't give Psionic Teleportation until 15 HD, and thus a Pseudonatural Phrenic Troll has no way to explain the Escape Scene. The HD limitation shuts out many monsters, and I don't know of any non-forerunner that's as good a base creature as a Tarrasque.

--------

Going back to the subject of Redcloak and psionics, here is a quote from the Phrenic template in the SRD to support my assertion that Redcloak wouldn't necessarily know that psionics are being used just by looking at a psionic MitD:

Seemingly no different from standard examples of their kind, phrenic creatures harbor mental might.

8. - Top - End - #1358

To reiterate one of my ideas, how many hit dice does a neo-otyugh have. Could a phrenic neo-otyugh manage the escape scene?

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swordpriest View Post
    To reiterate one of my ideas, how many hit dice does a neo-otyugh have. Could a phrenic neo-otyugh manage the escape scene?
    I don't know where Neo-Otyugh's are from but a normal one with enough hit dice too qualify for psionic teleport would be too big.

10. - Top - End - #1360

Daemon

It seems to me that the Phrenic template is the real kicker in the Pseudonatural Phrenic XXXX package + when I read the description of Pseudonatural creatures my mind turns first to Lovecraft and then to the Snarl, and I would rather not think of any of those two as the father of the MitD.

All in all I think the Phrenic template (if we must turn to a template at all) is a fair bid, not least because it justifies that the SBGH's might not be fully aware of what they have caught. I do think, however, that if we start stacking templates we are too close to the fine line between something Rich invented and something someone else invented.

If we choose to use the Phrenic template to explain the escape it still leaves us with having to find, in Xykon's words, "one ugly son of a bitch" with at least 15 HD and a way of explaining the various other abilities of the MitD.

If we stay with the Tarrasque example for just a little longer, how well would it do if it was just Phrenic?

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Titan in the Playground

If we stay with the Tarrasque example for just a little longer, how well would it do if it was just Phrenic?
    Badly. It is still 1000 times too big for MitD. Come on, if you must play the template game, is Tarrasque really the only 15 HD creature that could become psychic?

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

12. - Top - End - #1362

BlueWizardGirl

I'll do a list of SRD monsters with at least 15 HD. I will not take advancement into account, since the MitD is obviously a young member of his species

Angel, Solar
    Animated Object, Gargantuan
    Elder Arrowhawk
    Abyssal Greater Basilisk
    Delver
    Demon, Balor
    Demon, Marilith
    Horned Devil
    Pit Fiend
    Dinosaur, Triceratops
    Dinosaur, Tyrannosaurus
    Dire Shark
    Dire Tiger
    (dragons)
    (Huge+ elementals)
    Formian Queen
    Cloud Giant
    Fire Giant
    Storm Giant
    Iron Golem
    Greater Stone Golem
    Inevitable, Marut
    Kraken
    Nightmare, Cauchemar
    Nightcrawler
    Nightwalker
    Nightwing
    Phasm
    Purple Worm
    Razor Boar
    Roc
    Noble Salamander
    Shield Guardian
    Tarrasque
    Titan
    Elder Tojanida
    Dread Wraith
    Elder Xorn

(skipped epic monsters for now)

Neothelid

Now, many of these creatures are obviously unsuitable for the MitD. The next list is the above minus those that are Undead, Constructs, Plants, Elementals, Elder X, those whose speaking wouldn't be particularly surprising, those unable to move, those who don't meet a minimal degree of prehensile limbs, and those which already have the Psionic subtype so that they can't be Phrenic.

Abyssal Greater Basilisk
    Dinosaur, Triceratops
    Dinosaur, Tyrannosaurus
    Dire Tiger
    Phasm
    Roc
    Tarrasque

This list of candidates for (Pseudonatural) Phrenic X is a lot more manageable. I think I'll take a closer look at it in a later post.
    Last edited by Nerdanel; 2011-02-08 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Noticed Krakens actually speak

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Titan in the Playground

Phrenic T-Rex?
    A psychic t-rex would be VERY recognisable and massively awesome. I'd vote for it?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
    Abyssal Greater Basilisk
    Dinosaur, Triceratops
    Dinosaur, Tyrannosaurus
    Dire Tiger
    Phasm
    Roc
    Tarrasque
    Of these, the most reasonable candidate is the phasm. It's strength is nothing to write home about (but then, neither would be the strength of a miniature tarrasque or t-rex), but for the tower scene it can be hand-waved by him changing into "the weakest creature it knows"* - except he got it wrong (since it is innocent!MitD) and picked a very strong creature instead. Something similar could be said about the earthquake - he picked the shape of his broken action figure, who it turns out is a very strong monster.

With the templates to give it teleportation, that would fit all three scenes (it is fairly ugly). And fits under the umbrella.

But of course, as with all things template-related, it lacks the crucial evidence about him being psionic, or half-stuff.

Grey Wolf

* His actual description is "If pursued or harassed, a phasm transforms into the most fearsome creature it knows and attacks". In the tower scene, of course, he had a different motivation, but MitD can, after all, be trusted to screw up.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-02-08 at 04:55 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1365

Daemon

The Pit Fiend fits all three scenes as well as any of these other 15+HD creatures without a template -it has access to Wish all on its very own The "only" problem with it regarding the big three, as far as I can see, is that it is a Pit Fiend.

I like it a lot, but I seem to remember we have had that conversation before

edit: almost forgot, The Phasm is CR7
    Last edited by Lord Bingo; 2011-02-08 at 06:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Firbolg in the Playground

@above: the pit fiend is also somewhat...big.

The fact that the phasm is CR 7 really isn't much of a problem, since those are just suggested stats, it could have a lot of HD added.

17. - Top - End - #1367

Wow people are still suggesting Tarrasque? Am going to have to create another graphic lampooning all the tarrasque suggestions?

18. - Top - End - #1368

Quote Originally Posted by Bongos View Post
    Wow people are still suggesting Tarrasque? Am going to have to create another graphic lampooning all the tarrasque suggestions?
    Pimp my Tarrasque again! I dare you! I double-dare you! Pimp my Tarrasque one more time!

Oh...

You were finished?..

19. - Top - End - #1369

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    @above: the pit fiend is also somewhat...big.
    The Pit Fiend is Large, but that is within the acceptable size range that has been established for the MitD.

The problem as far as I see is that it is an outsider from the lower planes and that Rich's comments (W&XPs) seem to indicate that morality plane creatures cannot change alignments more than slightly. Not having been brought up on the lower planes might account for the more neutral disposition of the MitD (good still requires commitment) but it does require some hand waving.

Still, IMO having access to wish (as well as greater teleport) as a spell-like ability, good strength and defenses, and several knowledge skills makes it a great candidate without us having to template it.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Titan in the Playground

The Pit Fiend is Large, but that is within the acceptable size range that has been established for the MitD.

The problem as far as I see is that it is an outsider from the lower planes and that Rich's comments (W&XPs) seem to indicate that morality plane creatures cannot change alignments more than slightly. Not having been brought up on the lower planes might account for the more neutral disposition of the MitD (good still requires commitment) but it does require some hand waving.

Still, IMO having access to wish (as well as greater teleport) as a spell-like ability, good strength and defenses, and several knowledge skills makes it a great candidate without us having to template it.
    Remember too the other problem, beyond the morality: the circus scene. I can see the audience not being knowledgeable on the big, red, winged-and-horned creature being a demon, daemon, fiend, devil, or some other denizen of hell and related evil planes. But I cannot imagine someone looking at it and saying "I've never seen anything like it". I'm sorry, but we've all seen things like demons. As far as forerrunners go, that is a big problem.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-02-13 at 07:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Dwarf in the Playground

I also think Pit Fiends can speak common.

22. - Top - End - #1372

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Remember too the other problem, beyond the morality: the circus scene. I can see the audience not being knowledgeable on the big, red, winged-and-horned creature being a demon, daemon, fiend, devil, or some other denizen of hell and related evil planes. But I cannot imagine someone looking at it and saying "I've never seen anything like it". I'm sorry, but we've all seen things like demons. As far as forerrunners go, that is a big problem.
    The Circus scene does present a wee problem too, I agree. Still, having seen pictures of denizens of the lower planes hardly equates having seen one in the flesh and there is also the possibility that the "I've never seen anything like it" refers to the "show" the MitD puts on (of which we have no knowledge beyond that it is hard). The Pit Fiends entry describes how it likes to appear wrapped in a grotesque cloak of its own wings wreathed in flame. I am not sure that this will account for all of the varied reactions but I think it is good enough.

As to the matter of language that IronWilliam mentions it is true that the Pit Fiend speaks Common, but perhaps the SBGHs surprise stemmed not from the MitDs ability to speak in the first place but from them not expecting that the Pit Fiend would address them -and least of all in Common, rather than its native tongue.
    Last edited by Lord Bingo; 2011-02-14 at 09:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Titan in the Playground

(of which we have no knowledge beyond that it is hard).
    Not quite true. It is hard in MitD's opinion, but not in the opinion of his handler, which characterises it as "just standing there"

Grey Wolf

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Maybe a Centaur?

Pros:
    -Strong
    -4 legs (stomp?)
    -Large

Cons:
    -Too common for explain audiences reaction
    -Can speak
    -(Probably others, but that's all I can think of)

Could have taken some kinda class that explains O'Chul and V's escape
    You can be judged by the strength of your enemies

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killed to Death View Post
    Maybe a Centaur?

Pros:
    -Strong
    -4 legs (stomp?)
    -Large

Cons:
    -Too common for explain audiences reaction
    -Can speak
    -(Probably others, but that's all I can think of)

Could have taken some kinda class that explains O'Chul and V's escape
    From the first post: Centaur
    Not strong enough, can't explain the earthquake, the tower scene, the circus scene or the escape.

GW

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Halfling in the Playground

You know, I never reach the end of these threads, when everyone starts flinging templates to each other I get tired. I think you cannot recognize a template right away, which would kill the point of it being recognizable by most.

I just have one question: has anyone, ever suggested that the MitD is one of the Wild Things?

Big strenght, yellow eyes, can swallow whole... I could not explain the Escape and I guess other stuff, though I have not read the books (only saw the movie)
    Die trying
    -Izzet League

Spoiler
    Show

[See here and here also]

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by redcodekevin View Post
    I think you cannot recognize a template right away, which would kill the point of it being recognizable by most.
    Thankfully, being recognisable by most has never been a requirement of MitD.

Quote Originally Posted by redcodekevin View Post
    I just have one question: has anyone, ever suggested that the MitD is one of the Wild Things?

Big strenght, yellow eyes, can swallow whole... I could not explain the Escape and I guess other stuff, though I have not read the books (only saw the movie)
    No, no-one has suggested it yet. What is its copyright status? Although it is probably moot, since even if they are free from copyright, they can't explain the escape scene, as you pointed out. Also, aren't they just the creation of the boy's imagination?

Grey Wolf

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, aren't they just the creation of the boy's imagination?
    Whether Max imagined the Wild Things or whether they actually existed is entirely open to interpretation - nothing definitive either way (though I think in the live movie they definitely exist).

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Lightbulb Re: MitD III: You are likely to suggest Tarrasque

I haven't read the whole thread, but I think that first post should mention strip 709 under Section 2b: abilities, Rain

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkkis View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread, but I think that first post should mention strip 709 under Section 2b: abilities, Rain
    That would be redundant. It is no more clear than in #550 that MitD is the cause of the rain - indeed, it remains a very unlikely possibility - and the fact that in #709 it is the punchline in fact weakens the case for the page.

Grey Wolf