1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default My Little Pony V: Art of the Thread

Trixie's Great and Powerful Guide v1.6f
    Fluttershy & Rarity Edition

Brief Introduction

Spoiler
    Show
    My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is a reboot of the MLP franchise by Powerpuff Girls artist Lauren Faust, currently viewed by (almost) the entire internet, not only the intended audience. Here is a place where we discuss the joy of friendship.

> My Little Pony? Seriously?

It's a clever show. It has excellent writing, character dynamics, humour, animation, and generally treats kids seriously rather than condescending to them. It has every right to be a 20 minute corporate committee designed infomercial, but it's not.

> Isn't this a show for little girls?

Pixar technically makes shows for little boys, and produce some of the best animation in the world.

> Okay, fine. I'll give it a try. Where do I start?

No brony could ask for more. I recommend watching the episodes in order. They're all up on Youtube. Unusually, Hasbro seems fine with having the entire series up in public because they've made no move to bring down any of the episodes. Search for "Friendship is Magic Episode 1" and you should find the series pretty easily... Or search for "Sharing is Magic". That is all.

> Okay, I'm going to watch it but this had better live up to the hype!

Woah, calm down there. The show is light hearted, optimistic fun but it's not for everyone. It's good fun, the community is good fun, and everyone can do with a reminder that friendship is magic but if it doesn't gel for you we'll love and tolerate you anyway.

> Iron Hoof/Fan Theories/Shipping

All in good fun! If it's not your cup of tea, skim it, but this show has triggered a great creative outpouring from the internet. Pony themed fan-art is abundant and often excellent.

> Derpy Hooves/Doctor Whoof

Two minor background characters who were adopted as emblems of 4chan. Derpy Hooves is so named due to an animation error in the first episode that had her eyes facing in different directions; 4chan has assigned her the role of Ponyville's mailpony, and her only line so far has been "Muffins". The show's animators are aware of Derpy's popularity and she's shown up a few times recently with her eyes obviously derped. Currently made canon in Feeling Pinkie Keen and in Faust's picture showcased below.

Dr. Whoof is a pony with an hourglass cutie mark; he saves time and space very quietly off camera.

Ponytar Artists

Spoiler
    Show
    Alarra
    Alterform
    Crown of Thorns
    Irbis
    Kairaven
    Khosan

...and a lot more, too many to keep track of, now.

If you do/don't want to be here, make a note in the thread.

Note that we're looking for more as the above are a bit swamped with requests currently.

New: Official Pony Request Thread

General Resources

Spoiler
    Show
    Fan Fiction and News: Equestria Daily
    FF... Darkly: Equestria after Dark
    Discussion Image Forum: Ponychan
    Pony Images: Ponibooru
    Allspark MLP Discussion Thread

Deviant Art Links

Spoiler
    Show
    Lauren Faust's (Creator) Deviant Art Page

Tutorials

Pony Games

Nice Fics/Art

GitP Fics/Art

Important GitP Links

Thread I - Because Friendship Is Magic
    Thread II - Now About 20% Cooler
    Thread III - The Great & Powerful Thread
    Thread IV - Friendship is Sufficiently Advanced Technology

Operation: Indiscriminate Friendship
    Collaborative Story Writing: MLP FiM
    Debate at Pranceton Uni: Pony RP
    My Little Pony: FiM RP Recruitment

Pony Week Vote Thread
    Pony Week Talk Thread
    Pony Avatar Requests I
    Last edited by Trixie; 2011-04-23 at 06:34 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony V: Art of the Thread

Thank you oh Great and Powerful Trixie!

...Now I wish we had something to start the thread off with proper. o.o;

...Well...it has been awhile..

*Boogie!*
    Last edited by Trobby; 2011-04-12 at 10:17 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Boogie indeed.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Fun fact: Around the time when I saw first MLP I rediscovered 70s Disco sound. Since that I imagine that Luna has started a roller-skate night disco and hear "A Fifth Of Beethoven" as soundtrack in my head when I think about it.

Not that this is of any relevance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Can someone post that request for avatars, again?

By the way, I picked this title because it had the most votes (and I liked it), but I think the proposed title list is already a bit long to be ever used...

So, my proposal is, to make each new thread title something (meme, quote) connected to 1-2 ponies, making each thread unique. If possible, without repeats. We already had two of these, this would be third, formalizing it. Does that sound good?

Also, would make picking pictures for OP easier.

Of course, if there is awesome meta-thread-title, we can always use it, as well.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

New thread!

I leave for a week and most of another thread goes by. I wonder what holds the forum record for the fastest thread to hit 50 pages, and if that last one comes anywhere near that.
    Fair warning: I edit my posts fairly continuously, sometimes adding substantial amounts in the period immediately after I post originally. I blame grad school instilling a constant need to revise.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post

By the way, I picked this title because it had the most votes (and I liked it), but I think the proposed title list is already a bit long to be ever used...

So, my proposal is, to make each new thread title something (meme, quote) connected to 1-2 ponies, making each thread unique. If possible, without repeats. We already had two of these, this would be third, formalizing it. Does that sound good?

Of course, if there is awesome meta-thread-title, we can always use it, as well.
    This one?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    Oh, wow, Pony Week already. And we're still behind on ponytar requests in the arts and crafts thread. Dunno if we'll make it through them all in time.

Well, anyways, time to start collecting ponies for the great big banner. Here's what I want:

Send an email to [email protected]. The subject line should include the word "Pony" somewhere.

Include as attachments as many ponytars as you can. I want high-resolution versions (at least 500 pixels on one dimension), or better yet the original svg file. Ask your artist before sending to me; they might have the svg laying around and we prevent a lot of double submissions. Send multiple emails or compress the files if you have to; I'd rather sort through a bunch of emails than go through file-hosting sites if at all possible.

With any luck I'll be able to get it put together within a few days of the end of the theme week.
    Also, I agree with you on titles: it seems like a good idea to me.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfonian View Post
    I leave for a week and most of another thread goes by. I wonder what holds the forum record for the fastest thread to hit 50 pages, and if that last one comes anywhere near that.
    Eh, it slowed down on the last curve

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    I can't find the joke! I must be intensely dumb.
    Sigh.

Fics/Art Section :P

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    Or not.
    Hm?

9. - Top - End - #9

You are underestimating ponies. As I see it, there is no way that list even has a 1/3 of the names of titles for My Little Pony threads that are going to be used on this board reach page 50 easily.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Um, since most pictures I post are shrunk slightly to make them weight less... Is the OP one good size or still too big?

By the way, if anyone wants to have full size versions of OP pictures, just mention is somewhere in the thread :P

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd support this idea: it keeps the thread titles clean and relevant (and hopefully clever!), and a theme should keep us on task. There are officially, like, way too many title ideas for us to ever reasonably use them all.

Also, as much as I hate to pretend I belong in anything labeled "noteworthy", for organization's sake my stories should probably get shifted from the gitp fic section to the "gitp turned ED" section. My internet "home" is the Playground, for all intents and purposes, but my stories have been going on Equestria Daily since before the pony thread knew I existed. I'm a vile turncoat, mwhaha. Or something. Anyway, yeah. I'll just let that be your call.

edit: OP picture size is fine. Also adorable.
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2011-04-12 at 10:45 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfonian View Post
    New thread!

Rainbow Miriam Dash currently holds that record.

Um, since most pictures I post are shrunk slightly to make them weight less... Is the OP one good size or still too big?

By the way, if anyone wants to have full size versions of OP pictures, just mention is somewhere in the thread :P
    Yesplease.

Edit: And yes, I support any idea that will make new OPs easier.
    Last edited by Trobby; 2011-04-12 at 10:46 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Also, as much as I hate to pretend I belong in anything labeled "noteworthy", for organization's sake my stories should probably get shifted from the gitp fic section to the "gitp turned ED" section. My internet "home" is the Playground, for all intents and purposes, but my stories have been going on Equestria Daily since before the pony thread knew I existed. I'm a vile turncoat, mwhaha. Or something. Anyway, yeah. I'll just let that be your call.
    Hmm. I'll have to think on this. Fics/art section is going to be a bit long even now, much less with credits to everyone. No, I think I'll delete "GitP turned ED" instead, and move Esper to GitP section, crediting him, and keeping the Fics section entirely outside of this board.

Or not. The OP needs serious overhaul anyway.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm. I'll have to think on this. Fics/art section is going to be a bit long even now, much less with credits to everyone. No, I think I'll delete "GitP turned ED" instead, and move Esper to GitP section, crediting him, and keeping the Fics section entirely outside of this board.

Or not. The OP needs serious overhaul anyway.
    Well, that would work too. I'm probably the last pony you would want offering advice on organization and structure anyway, so I'll bow to your Great and Powerful judgment.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm?
    When I wrote that there were a post by you claiming that'll you need 3 more posts. Incidentally that was the first post on page 50. At least I hope there was a post like that and I haven't imagined that. I sometimes have a very loose relationship to reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bwahaha I have finally caught up with you all.

201 pages of pony o_o, over at SB we're only at like, page 30 something.

Anyway, it's good to be caught up finally.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    When I wrote that there were a post by you claiming that'll you need 3 more posts. Incidentally that was the first post on page 50. At least I hope there was a post like that and I haven't imagined that. I sometimes have a very loose relationship to reality.
    What post? ^.^"

For the record, I was nin'ponied there.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

The pony threads will overtake the Dominic Deegan threads before the end of this year at this rate.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    The pony threads will overtake the Dominic Deegan threads before the end of this year at this rate.
    Eh, but they have less and less interest/views as well. Thread I had 58K views, II 50K, III 38.5K, IV 35K, while V has 0.1K :P

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Good Night, Friendship is Sufficiently Advanced Technology, and a flight of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Sniff.

Oh hey, time to link everypony to Fair Feather Friend chapter 3 at Equestria Daily YOU MEAN IT'S STILL NOT UP THERE?

IT'S KILLING US, PRECIOUS. IT'S KILLING US!

Edit: Also, I don't think you can quiiiite judge the popularity of thread V yet...
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-04-12 at 11:41 AM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Eh, but they have less and less interest/views as well. Thread I had 58K views, II 50K, III 38.5K, IV 35K, while V has 0.1K :P
    The snark is waning, it's true.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Wait, which Thread 5 are we referring to? Now I'm just confused.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

This thread 5
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, okay. Then my point STILL stands.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

So Inkwell is completely ridiculously awesome. I spoke with him this morning, despite spending all night working on it, and I mentioned that I wanted to make his piece into wallpaper for my 1024x600 little netbook...so he goes ahead and does it for me.

http://inkwell-pony.deviantart.com/#/d3dtn8m

Really, just spectacularly awesome.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's not that interest/views are waning, but that it's so popular people are reading every posts from the beginnig of the first thread before joining and posting on the latest thread. That is why Thread I has more views than II.. etc.
    I mean last time I checked thread I views it was at 54k, and that was when we were already at Thread III.

Edit: and now Thread I doesn't even show up if I sort by number of views... hax!
    Last edited by Kairaven; 2011-04-12 at 12:13 PM.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Friendship? I think Rainbow Dash knows a song about that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL8E1...&feature=feedf

... way to get off topic, Dash.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I vaguely remember somepony mentioning they were putting together a guide to pony-making in Inkscape. Is that still under construction? I'd love to help out with it (although I probably can't take on the full project).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    I vaguely remember somepony mentioning they were putting together a guide to pony-making in Inkscape. Is that still under construction? I'd love to help out with it (although I probably can't take on the full project).
    Khosan was working on it. I'd like to help contribute, as well.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah it's been a weird week. It's still going just kinda...sluggishly. Haven't had the opportunity to work on it. Though I guess I do now.

Any input would be welcome. Last time I worked on it (and it crashed) I was at detailing, past basic pony construction. Eyes and hooves and whatnot.