New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default LaZodiac Plays: Megaman Classic Series Retrospective

Greetings! Today we start my Megaman Classic series retrospective and playthrough. We'll be talking about the levels, enemy, and boss design, as well as the plot once we get to it.

Some additional info about this playthrough
    I'm using the Anniversary Collection to play these, so you will likely see some unique things. For instance, there is the Beat system, where the bird from Megaman 3 gives you pathway assistence. Good news is, he lies and I know the paths anyway, so he's just there for moral support.

There is also the Navi system, which a person (unique for each game) gives you (poorly translated and very engrishy) hints about what to do.

Difficulty is the standard, non englishified easy difficulty, but with 5 lives instead of 3 because I like having a safety net.

Megaman Plot

In the year 20XX, Dr Light and Dr Wily created 6 Robot Masters for work in lumberjacking, construction, and other assorted tasks (and also two helper robots, Rock and Roll). However, Dr Wily takes the 6 Robot Masters and reprograms them for evil! Rock offers to be upgraded into a fighting robot to stop Dr Wily's evil scheme! Fight, Megaman, for everlasting peace!

Megaman [1] Bombman

Yes, Bombman. I know the usuall 'first boss' to tackle is Cutman, but trust me there is a reason for this, as you will see

Bombman's stage isn't THAT difficult a thing, though its consistently one of the only stages I actually die on, and always in the same place, as you've seen. The only real threats in terms of enemies are the Sniper Joes (our green, shield wielding buddies) and those orange round dudes. And, of course, Bombman himself.

Bombman is usually a nice, well behaved Robot Master. This recording he decided to spaz out quite horrificly, and I nearly die! Talk about a first episode -_-*sweatdrop*

Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed, I'll see you all next time when we tackle Gutsman, and his...platforms of peril

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: LaZodiac Plays: Megaman Classic Series Retrospective

This is quite exciting, but... is something wrong with the video or just my computer? It was hella laggy.

In any case, I've played a lot of the classic Megamans but never the very first one. Plus I have that game (but on PS2). Maybe I'll give it a go...
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    This is quite exciting, but... is something wrong with the video or just my computer? It was hella laggy.

In any case, I've played a lot of the classic Megamans but never the very first one. Plus I have that game (but on PS2). Maybe I'll give it a go...
    Looking at it, it doesn't seem laggy to me. Might be your computer, unfortunately.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Looking at it, it doesn't seem laggy to me. Might be your computer, unfortunately.
    Yup, fixed now. Sorry if that concerned you. I updated my flash power and it's spot on.

Now that my concerns have been remedied, very exciting! I'll be following this thread.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Yup, fixed now. Sorry if that concerned you. I updated my flash power and it's spot on.

Now that my concerns have been remedied, very exciting! I'll be following this thread.
    Its ok, glad you're excited

6. - Top - End - #6

It's Tuesday, and you know what that means. Time for some more Megamaaaan!

Megaman [2] Gutsman

Here was have a pretty infamous stage. Gutsman! The first enemies we fight are the adorable Mettaur, though they aren't yet at an advanced enough level to walk.

After them, however, is the most dreaded, moving platforms! These things are responsible for more child hood trauma then should be nessicary. Even I get incredibly sweaty and tense doing them.

After that, the rest of the stage is fairly simply. The helicopter dudes aren't that difficult, as long as you know how they work (don't be fooled, they can go up, the cheaters!) and the Picketmen are easy if you take it carefully. Clearly I don't take it carefully here

Also, Beat, the little bird that points an arrow added due to the Navigator system the Anniversary Collection added, I have a...thing about not trusting him, because he sometimes lies. Not this time

That aside, we get the first apperance of Big Eye here, a monsterous jumping jack machine of death! I'm pretty bad at getting past him.

And finally, we have Gutsman himself. Fairly difficult, especialy if you aren't good at timing your jumps (which I am not). However, with Bombman's weapon, the Hyper Bomb, he goes down fairly simply. Just be warry of how the bomb actually works!

Defeating Gutsman, we get the Super Arm. Next time we tackle the whipping boy of the first Megaman game, Cutman. Hope you enjoyed, and see you next time!

7. - Top - End - #7

I almost thought you weren't going to make the jump from the sliding things onto the ground. And man, those bombs kicked his donkey. Very cool.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

So... a 3 minute level full of instakill traps, hm? Sounds fun. >_>

(Especially those platform rides are a special kind of dickery.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nice job so far! Have a feeling I'll be following this. Its also nice to see someone else who takes the Bomb Man route first for a change.

Think you can guess which boss I can't wait to see you cover.
    Last edited by The Crash Man; 2012-05-09 at 04:50 PM.
    Epic Crashatar by the amazing Crimmy!

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by The Crash Man View Post
    Nice job so far! Have a feeling I'll be following this.

Think you can guess which boss I can't wait to see you cover.
    I can indeed. I'm actually a big fan of Crashman. Just not to fond of the Fortress Boss you use his power on (that's gonna be fuuuuun/sarcasm)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can indeed. I'm actually a big fan of Crashman. Just not to fond of the Fortress Boss you use his power on (that's gonna be fuuuuun/sarcasm)
    . . . I don't even want to talk about the Boobeam Trap or whatever its name is.

It and the Yellow Devil can both die in a fire.

12. - Top - End - #12

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    I love that song. I also love his work in general

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Wow; I must not have been paying attention to have missed the beginning of this...

And oh my god I'm having flash backs... these games were freaking brutal back then... although it's not really that they're hard so much as it is that there weren't a lot of options back then. Jump. Walk. Shoot. Sub Weapon. That's it.

And we were HAPPY!

I think you're better at the platforming stuff than me. But I think I could take you when it comes to combat! Still, nice job all.

Heh heh. Bullet Bills. Capcom, why have you forsaken the Blue Bomber?

La, gonna do the Elec Beam Combo Thingy?

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Wow; I must not have been paying attention to have missed the beginning of this...

And oh my god I'm having flash backs... these games were freaking brutal back then... although it's not really that they're hard so much as it is that there weren't a lot of options back then. Jump. Walk. Shoot. Sub Weapon. That's it.

And we were HAPPY!

I think you're better at the platforming stuff than me. But I think I could take you when it comes to combat! Still, nice job all.

Heh heh. Bullet Bills. Capcom, why have you forsaken the Blue Bomber?

La, gonna do the Elec Beam Combo Thingy?
    Yha, classic games. Brutal, but you loved em. I had Megaman 5 as a kid. Only ever beat Chargeman and Gravityman, but it was great.

Thanks. Normally I'm better at combat, just Bombman and Gutsman are kinda hard

Those are totally Killer Bombs, not Bullet Bills. Its the fins that make them different, honest.

If you mean the pause trick, probably.

16. - Top - End - #16

It's Tuesday! Time for some more Megaman!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RjeepFzAII

On today's chopping block (dohoho) we have Cutman! He's usually the one people go to first. Due to reasons we'll discover next time, there is a reason why you don't go to him first.

Cutman's stage has more of the propeller dudes, more of the wall cannon things that shoot in multiple directions, and back and forth moving eyeball things with suction cups called Adhering Suzies. All and all this stage isn't all that difficult, or hard. The only real problem is probably the rolling cutt spawner you encounter twice, but its simple to avoid.

Cutman himself is also fairly easy. His weakness to the Super Arm is pretty massive, not many people get two shot by their weakness. Of course, hitting him with the super arm requires their to be rocks in the area, of which there are only two. Thankfully, I'm not THAT bad at fighting

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed. I'll see you all next time, where we take Cutman's Rolling Cutter and...deal with arguably the hardest Robot Master in this game.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

I suppose we'll have to see next time why we aren't supposed to go to that stage. Because I didn't see why not to.

I think I fought Ice Man first, now that I remember.

Good job. You made that look pretty easy.... I kinda wanna play now and see how I compare to you.

18. - Top - End - #18

I suppose we'll have to see next time why we aren't supposed to go to that stage. Because I didn't see why not to.

I think I fought Ice Man first, now that I remember.

Good job. You made that look pretty easy.... I kinda wanna play now and see how I compare to you.
    Well, the reason you don't want to do Cutman first is only apparent in the next video anyway. Long story short, the way I'm going through the game is the "easiest route". I'll elaborate more next week

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Well, the reason you don't want to do Cutman first is only apparent in the next video anyway. Long story short, the way I'm going through the game is the "easiest route". I'll elaborate more next week
    Cool. Can't wait.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think I know the route you're going for, Zodiac. Keep up the good work.

Also, the ledges on Elec Man's stage are EVIL.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by The Crash Man View Post
    I think I know the route you're going for, Zodiac. Keep up the good work.

Also, the ledges on Elec Man's stage are EVIL.
    I forgot about Routes... wasn't it a bit zonky since Megaman and Roll were part of the origonal 8?

I can't think about Elec Man without thinking about Quick man..... and then there's Airman....

22. - Top - End - #22

Man he got owned by those rocks.

And The Crash Man, Crash Man was totally one of my fav's from II.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

23. - Top - End - #23

I forgot about Routes... wasn't it a bit zonky since Megaman and Roll were part of the origonal 8?

I can't think about Elec Man without thinking about Quick man..... and then there's Airman....
    Including Megaman and Roll into it, though we don't know what Roll is weak againest though its implied that she'd be strong to Iceman since he has a thing for her, we do get a kind of strange order that kind of works.

But thats not what we're talking about specificly, since the weakness chain totally flows in this. It's more something you need the Super Arm for in Elecman's stage then anything else

24. - Top - End - #24

25. - Top - End - #25

Oh hey, Roahm. Glad to see other people know him as well, he's basically the best Megaman player I know of

Also a quasi personal friend sorta

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

I was honestly surprised he didn't know about that strategy. When I first played MM1 and learned that you could stagger bosses, I immediately looked for ways to exploit this; this is one of the first things that came up. Consequently Elec ended up joining the sorry likes of Toad Man for being an easy flawless win.

27. - Top - End - #27

Its that time again! Tuesday time!

Megaman [4] Elecman

Today's feature presentation is Elecman, one of the hardest bosses in the first game! His stage is also vertical, so falling is something...distressing (as you'll see).

As far as stage obstacles are concerned, this stage isn't that bad. The gabayoals/spines can be taken care of by all manner of weapons, though I like using hyper bombs for this purpose. The little green orby things can be defeated if you shoot at the right time. After that, the only real danger are the electric outlet things and...them.

Our first apperance of disappearing blocks, the bane of existence! They aren't to bad here, though clearly I show off just how bad they can be.

Also of note, we discover why I did Bombman first! It is to get the Hyper Bombs, so I can beat Gutsman easily, so we can get Super Arm. Using Super Arm, I can get the secret weapon found in Elecman's stage, the Magnet Beam! Completely invaluable, you actually are required to get it to beat the game. If I didn't have Super Arm, I'd be unable to get it, and thus have to replay this level. And that's no good.

As for Elecman himself, he's really strong, but the Rolling Cutter does a nice job of him. With that, we get the Thunder Beam, the strongest weapon in the first game. Hope you enjoyed and see you next time

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

First impressions.

At the beginning, the way you kept falling off when you were throwing those bombs at those little disc enemies... I'll be honest; the first word that comes to mind is cute. That's what that was: cute.

Disappearing blocks.... ~I come to realize, I find myself just standing at the start ~
    ~Then I always fade away at the very same end~

How was the Magnet Beam even put under that space?

You just can -NOT- catch a break with that Lightning from the traps and mooks. I forget, what was Megaman's weakness?

.... judging by how much damage he gave out, I get the feeling it was Elecman's weapon. Wait, how does Cutting beat Electricity?

All in all, good job. That was entertaining.... and reminds me of IWBTG a bit...

Which boss are you gonna do next?

Also, would you believe I checked the subscription I have for this thread 2 minutes after your latest post?
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-05-22 at 09:10 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Heh, thanks

Clearly the magnet beam was put there, and then the big machinery that can be Super Armed was put there. Easy as that.

The lightning traps...I am bad at timing them, sometimes. And yes, Elecman is Megaman's weakness.

Scissors cut the wires that allow electricity to flow. That is how it is a weakness.

Next boss is Iceman, who is weak to Elecman's Thunder Beam.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

The lightning traps...I am bad at timing them, sometimes. And yes, Elecman is Megaman's weakness.
    I think I forgot what I was thinking and substituted the first thing I could think of. Mainly: why is there a random magnet device just lying around in the middle of nowhere? Lol-Random-Magnet-Weapon!

..... maybe I've been watching too much ........ actually, I have no idea what I've been watching too much off, but it's probably too much of something. Anyway, something about using metal to cut anything that has electricity going through it just sounds like it would horribly backfire.

Is Megaman's Megabuster better against any specific enemy?

Electric beats Ice? Huh. Then again, nothing can survive Elec Man's Thunder Pause Beam... which reminds me, will you be filming that effect?