New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

furious I love Order of the stick but it have a problem, The Magic Energy

Hi, im new, and a know that no one like people who complain, but have one thing in OOTS That REALLY annoys me, the color of mystic energy ...

there is no standard colors they are sort of random ...

Xykon energy-Black
    Zz'dtri-Green
    Vaarsuvius-pink
    Belkar White
    Nale-yellow
    etc ...

at the beginning it was a detail, it dont irritated me a lot, after all is not everyone who is so concerned with color scheme as I am... :s

but I'm realizing that this is starting to influence the comic in a bigger way ...

As we can see that Tsukiko Evil undead spells Have The Same color of the Azure City Holy Paladins powers and Elan illusions energy (O_O).

Another major flaw, that made me say this, is the souknife in the last strip, due the poor color choice we do not know if the sword is made of psychic energy or a sword of fire.

also,this random color scheme also makes it seems that there many sources of energy not only the Divine and Arcane

We can also see in a strip a goblin cleric uses a healing spell with purple energy, see also the daughter of the group of thieves forest use arcane spells Purple, it annoys me deeply.

well thats it...

Did someone else noticed this?, or was angry with that?

or the problem is me that get mad by little things and Details?

P.S. : sorry the bad english im not a native speaker.
    Last edited by Pamela; 2010-06-25 at 10:16 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: I love Order of the stick but it have a problem, The Magic Energy

I think the colour matches the person, not the power source. Different colours can have different meanings, depending on the person.

This is one of those details that I think you're thinking too much about :P

3. - Top - End - #3

Well, you know, it's not like there's a lot of colours to choose from.
    English is a second language etc etc.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Post Re: I love Order of the stick but it have a problem, The Magic Energy

but you have to agreed that is more easy to understend what is goin on, if the colors have a organization.

-you could tell if it is Fire or energy
    -if is holy or evil
    -arcane or divine
    -ice or force

etc..

this is iportant for me, but it seems that is not for you guys...
    Last edited by Pamela; 2010-06-25 at 10:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

Personality? Or maybe there's a fun little cantrip that lets you coordinate your spell colors with your armor or hair color or what have you.
    Last edited by The Vanishing Hitchhiker; 2010-06-25 at 10:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    but you have to agreed tahat is more easy to undertend what is goin on if the colors have a organization.

-if is holy or evil
    -arcane or divine
    -ice or force

etc..

I honestly think you're just nitpicking. I'm sorry if this is important to you but I don't think it's all that important. Granted, there are some colors that are kind of unclear. Tell me, have you read the comic goblins?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but it always matches the person casting it. That's not exactly atypical, even in D&D based stuff. Goblins did the same thing for instance.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

but you have to agreed that is more easy to understend what is goin on, if the colors have a organization.

-if is holy or evil
    -arcane or divine
    -ice or force

etc..

Easier for the readers, perhaps, but it'd probably be a heck of a liability in a fight.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Yes, but it always matches the person casting it. That's not exactly atypical, even in D&D based stuff. Goblins did the same thing for instance.
    Exactly. That's why I asked.

Never mind though. I found the comic I was looking for. http://goblins.keenspot.com/d/20060804.html

This is how I choose to look at it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Vanishing Hitchhiker View Post
    Personality? Or maybe there's a fun little cantrip that lets you coordinate your spell colors with your armor or hair color or what have you.
    did you see the sound of it, Magic energy is not a pice of clothing, which can be used to match you in a fashion way.

is a Freking ocult power that make you have Posibilitis beyond what can be imagined, taht makes the laws of the universe mean nothing to you.

is a serious thing X_X

11. - Top - End - #11

I agree with the poster before the last. It seems like the color of spells are based off of the caster. The magic items are a different story.
    Last edited by Cealocanth; 2010-06-25 at 10:31 PM.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

did you see the sound of it, Magic energy is not a pice of clothing, which can be used to match you in a fashion way.

is a Freking ocult power that make you have Posibilitis beyond what can be imagined, taht makes the laws of the universe mean nothing to you.

is a serious thing X_X
    Well, that's why you'd need magic to alter it. Still a less likely possibility than auras and such.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Exactly. That's why I asked.

Never mind though. I found the comic I was looking for. http://goblins.keenspot.com/d/20060804.html

This is how I choose to look at it.
    Well if the case was, Iner and soul energy is ok look like a rainbow

but mages use a pre make energy, and is not from his iner soul is arcane

and the clerics use divines, it can mach if the god personaliti, but is easier make one to good gods one too bad goods.

what im trying say is that if you guys say that the color mahs if the personalit, how Tsukiko who is vil have the same color efect of the Azure paladins, who are good?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

what im trying say is that if you guys say that the color mahs if the personalit, how Tsukiko who is vil have the same color efect of the Azure paladins, who are good?
    They've been raised all their life in Azure City, home of the famed Sapphire Guard, surrounded by blue sky and blue ocean and blue... everything. I guess it warps your personality a little.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

how about Blue energy illusions spells of Elan?

ok you guys do have a point..

but the Soul sword still look like fire...

Last edited by Pamela; 2010-06-25 at 10:40 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Tsukio has the smae effects because she is a Native Azurian, so her powers usually fall in the blue-purple spectrum. If you look closely, her magic is different in each hand. It's based off of her seperate eye colors, matching perfectly because the eyes are one of the key things that allows the audience to recognise Tsukio.

I think the colors are the way they are because of the fact that the comic has to look good. With such a simple style, it seems reasonable for magic energy to match the clothing or hair color or something of the caster. It's just one of the things that make the OOTS universe special.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

There is way, way more to personality than good/evil, and no reason to expect no overlap.

Oh, and incidentally, D&D itself has something that lists casters able to change the appearance of their spells to better suit them, with such dramatic changes as making magic missiles a bunch of draconic skulls. Color is nothing, so this suggests the arcane/divine division shouldn't determine the appearance of spells, and that they should be up to the caster.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

ok you guys do have a point..

but the Soul sword still look like fire...

Okay. Calm down a little.

They look this way, because the giant chose them to look this way. If you want to take it up with somebody, take it up with him, He can actually do something about it.

Also, you might want to put the fact you're not a native english speaker in your signature.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Also, you might want to put the fact you're not a native english speaker in your signature.
    Or, preferably, that you are not very fluent in English at the moment, as being a non-native speaker is not an excuse you can use forever for poor literacy. For that matter, neither is dyslexia (I am a non-native speaker, and know a heavily dyslexic person).

On topic, this is how the visual displays of magic work in OotS. There isn't actually a set rule on how spells appear, so it is either up to DM (for games) or writer (for stories) interpretation. It doesn't necessarily have an in-universe reason for being this way.
    Last edited by The Rose Dragon; 2010-06-25 at 10:52 PM.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Its pretty obvious. The flaws aren't all of the "I'm extremely lazy, have some half finished words." variety that annoy people so much. We see grammatical errors not something like:

Lol, Elan has rapper, mgk swd, ROFLMAO. Hey gaiz, I has hmebrew class. Why nbdy crtqu, THX.*

*This hurt to write.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2010-06-25 at 10:53 PM.

-- ChubbyRain

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

Elan's colors matches his eyes!

It's a PERSONAL magic aura. Much more interesting, and makes a better narrative, if you ask me, as compared to "arcane magic always blue", "divine magic white", etc. Boring.
    Last edited by Bongos; 2010-06-25 at 11:00 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Its pretty obvious. The flaws aren't all of the "I'm extremely lazy, have some half finished words." variety that annoy people so much. We see grammatical errors not something like:

Lol, Elan has rapper, mgk swd, ROFLMAO. Hey gaiz, I has hmebrew class. Why nbdy crtqu, THX.*

*This hurt to write.
    Good point. That kind of hurt to read. I guess being a non-native English speaker is better than being a native internet speaker.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Another major flaw, that made me say this, is the souknife in the last strip, due the poor color choice we do not know if the sword is made of psychic energy or a sword of fire.
    Actually we do know this because the woman's eyes turned the same color as the sword when she started generating them.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Welp, there are some things you just have to deal with. Chill, you can always make your own webcomic with organized color coded spellcasting.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

DragonsMagic: Color Coded For Your Convenience?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

I reckon the color of the magical energy is a personal choice like everyone is saying, but on the other hand it would be interesting to give a try to classify it somehow... maybe all the colors relate to that persons primary stats? Or something similar... would be good to do in the thread for over analysis.
    I am imaginary! Prove me wrong!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Well, there would be a constant color of magic, but most monitors won't display octarine.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Well, there would be a constant color of magic, but most monitors won't display octarine.
    Octarine is not the color of magic.

It's the colour of magic.

It is one of the few cases where I will insist on the British spelling.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

Yup, the colour of the magic goes with the person. Tamora Pierce did the same thing - Alanna's magic is purple, the same as her eyes and those of her cat. Numair's is black with sparkles. It just goes with the person. I like it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

You guys do all know that the IME of Goblins and the individually-associated colour coding of OOTS are representing something in the D&D rules, right? I forget exactly where it is (might be the DMG) but I'm pretty sure it specifies that the appearance of spells does vary by the caster.