New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343550 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: [FO:E] The Southern Wasteland of Equestria 2

Hoofington

Chain notices the overpass and the flickering flames beneath it. "Urgh. A bit too exposed for my liking. Once we secure it, I'll see about TKing some scrap or something around to try and give us some better cover. But first, both of you hold still."

Presumably, there's still the occasional wisp of smoky magic lazily drifting around Chain, reflecting the protective spell she's cast over herself. If Slip and Heart will allow her to, she shines her horn at them for a moment, one at a time, and casts the same spell on them. They won't feel any different; the only sign of the spell will be the foggy magic that sparingly wreathes them.

Once that's dealt with, Chain checks her health potions. She keeps the safe one from outside stored separately, and telekinetically lifts up the one she kept with her inside the store so she can examine it. Hopefully it's still good...
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Raider Railyard

The griffon manages to scramble stealthily under a few train cars, before finally emerging between two old box cars. One is still padlacked, but the door to the other one looks unlocked. However, the griffon discovers it to be rusted when he tries to open it - he'll either have to find some other route/plan, or wrench it open forcefully, which will surely make some noise.
    Considering that noise of that kind would more than likely call their attention and make them suspect of the boxcar's interior themselves, even the padlacked one would seem to be the safer one.

He would approach the padlacked one and try to find a way to open it with a bobby pin.
    Last edited by Luka; 2013-04-02 at 02:19 PM.
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

[Hoofington]

"Yeah, it's not ideal, but at least there's a fire and no rain. Might be some occupants though, from the look of it. Maybe they're friendly?"

Yeah, she doesn't like the idea of ousting a group of random wastelanders. That probably isn't a surprise. Still, she seems to agree with the idea of moving around scrap to increase defensibility.

4. - Top - End - #724

[Hoofington]

Shift gives a mean spirited chuckle when Heart suggests the notion that whoever is under that bridge might be friendly. "Right. And I'm the bastard child of a mare and Discord."

Seems she isn't holding out hope that they'll randomly encounter kind ponies in the Wasteland.

Regardless...

As they begin to draw closer they'll begin to notice some rather disturbing decorations on nearby buildings. Decorations that used to be part of ponies.

Well...

That isn't very encouraging.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hoofington

Chain smiles. Why is she smiling? Most ponies shouldn't be smiling in this situation.

"It's been awhile since I hunted raiders. They make for pretty good sport. Always fun to see how long it takes for their threats to turn into pleas..." she remarks with grim amusement. "So, how we gonna do this? Blitzkrieg? Lure 'em out with the 'mare in distress' trick? Or are we just gonna be little fillies about this and try to find someplace 'safer' to work with?"

6. - Top - End - #726
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Razoreye does give the impression of a quietly simmering death machine sometimes doesn't he. Well, nopony ever brings it up for some odd reason. The griffon looks at the mare a little quizzically.

"Then you were expecting it to be more chaotic?"
    Night Jewel nodded. "Well, I've heard about the raiders." And know the monster who's running things. "So yes, I was expecting chaos."

She gave Razoreye a closer look. "I take it you don't get visitors often here, since I seem to be attracting so much attention. Do you distrust me, or do you just want me to put some clothes on?"
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

7. - Top - End - #727

Fillydephia

Elestre shook his head, sighing inside. Why, just why.

The Camp

Sparky nodded. "Nice supply you found there."

He lifted his left wing as if he were about to get up and launch into flight. "If we need a lighter, I can provide one."
    Characters in Lords of Creation games:
    Aquaeris, Flowing Sheen.
    Xacha, the Metal Serpent.
    Viltasa, the Evening Star.
    Yash-Ko, the Flame of the Void.
    Argul Lugra, Lord of the Eyes.
    Vriset, the Glassblower.
    Valendron, Ascending Wind.

Drow Lord avatar by Dread Angel.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

[Hoofington]

"Wouldn't put it past ya, Slip. Walking natural disaster, and all."

Her grin at the smart comment rather quickly turns to a scowl as it becomes clear just who the inhabitants of this particular region are. She calmly listens to the list of possible plans before going with one.

"Buck it, let's just strafe them and be done with it."

...Okay, that seems a little out of character, given what's been established so far. What gives?

9. - Top - End - #729

[Hoofington]

Maybe she just doesn't like Raiders?

That isn't altogether unusual. Plenty of ponies dislike Raiders. They honestly don't have very many endearing qualities.

Shift gives a bit of a snort at the other mare's comment. "That's probably blasphemy. But I doubt Discord would care."

The Spirit of Chaos really isn't the sort to mind points of protocol all that much.

"We're pretty far off yet. We could stow the coolers somewhere and then get the drop on them. Probably at least one of them sitting up on top of the overpass in the rain," Shift says. "Hard to see far in this weather though."

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Raider Railyard

The padlock is proving to be tricky to unlock. Seems it's a little rusty. Just a bit longer and the griffon may be able to get it. But the crunching of gravel and the clanging of horseshoes on metal is drawing nearer all around. The closest sounds like it's only one row away. Keep picking, or brute force it? Or time for a new plan altogether?

---
    Hoofington

Chain grins lopsidedly. "What gives, Doc? One minute you're all olive branches and diplomacy,then you flip to 'kill 'em all and let Luna sort 'em out.' Got a real thing for raiders getting what they deserve, or what?" she asks, tilting her head in slight curiosity.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

[Hoofington]

It's a good point, since nopony likes raiders, but one would expect an (at least nominal) pacifist to shy away from violence, even on those that deserve it. Heck, she can't bring herself to shoot Slavers, of all ponies. Which logically makes the leap to "Let's strafe them" a bit jarring. But we're about to get an explanation, so that's okay.

"Raiders aren't even ponies anymore. All they do is kill, and steal, and rape, and... ...enjoy it. Even Slavers have a profit motive, or something tethering them to basic equine nature. All Raiders have is some sick pleasure they get out of causing pain. Even feral Ghouls are more like real ponies than Raiders."

There's something hollow in that explanation, though, like it's a justification rather than the root. She's looking uncomfortable enough right now just being in the presence of Raiders that digging further might not be a great plan, though.

She doesn't seem like she wants to talk too much at the moment anyway, given that she's already pulled out the SMG, which happens to make talking rather difficult for non-unicorns.

12. - Top - End - #732

[Hoofington]

Slip just gives a drawn out sigh. Time to put some bucked up ponies down. Raiders aren't that big of a threat if somepony is ready for them. Crazy batch of mules are so insane that anything resembling strategy is lost on them.

"Done with the chatter, ladies. We've got a job to do,"
    the mare says as she unhitches her cooler and shoves it behind some rubble. By this time the seven visible Raiders are well within shooting range and illuminated by their fire. The trio of mares on the other hoof have darkness on their side.

Slip turns her back to them and peers over her shoulder before tossing a small stone up in the air and giving it a firm kick.

There comes a crack! as the stone blurs away out of sight almost immediately followed by a spray of gore where one of the Raider's heads used to be.

The remaining Raiders suddenly look very alert.

[Stable 69]

::Experiment::
    Isolate Equestrian population of hippogriffs and pony/griffin couples in a single Stable. Within two generations a fully hippogriff population should result. All mentions of ponies and griffins in history texts will be replaced with hippogriffs.

::Objectives::
    -Monitor the societal growth of a fully hybridized community.
    -Monitor physiological state of a multi-generational population of hippogriffs.
    -Hybrid vigor should aid the resulting population in recolonizing of Equestria.

No one knew about that, of course. No one aside from the Overmare. No one even found out about it until after... well... I guess you'll hear about that soon enough.

I grew up in Stable 69 with my friends and family. Despite the name, no it wasn't wild there. Hippogriffs are pretty strictly monogamous. Life was largely a matter of routine. You're born, you grow up, and you die. All under that same patch of artificial sky. I found out later that the largely open design of our Stable was really unusual. That weird design choice ended up saving my life.

It was a simple life, really. Despite what you might think I really enjoyed it. In the early days it was time spent playing with my brother and learning at school. Spending time with the family and praying at the chapel to the two hippogriff goddess sisters, Celestia and Luna. Days spent questing after my cutie mark. Learning to use my special talent. Contributing to our little home-under-the-mountain. And of course flirting with the stallions.

Everything was going so well until the sky started falling.

My name is Geneva Pressure Front.

This is how my world ended.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2013-04-04 at 12:44 AM.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hoofington

Chain doesn't bother Heart with further questions or prying. She simply hefts her M240 with her telekinesis, and grins from ear to ear. "One strafing run-" she snaps her goggles into position, "-coming right up!"

Her magic flares as she braces the heavy weapon to fire...

"Oh. You gals may wanna cover your ears."

And with that, the machine gun roars to life. The thunderous clatter of the M240 echoes through the street and off the surrounding ruins, gouts of flame and gas erupting from the muzzle as steaming shell casings and broken belt links sprinkle the ground beneath it. Chain's magic holds the weapon steady, easily bracing against the recoil and compensating for it; like a farming harvest crops, she sweeps the weapon from side to side, scything through the half-dozen or so raiders. The 7.62 rounds chop through the air, leaving small contrails of evaporated rain drops in their wake as they seek their target.

If the other mares aren't completely deafened or scrambling to cover their ears, they may hear a certain sound over the din of the gunfire. Laughter. Chain's laughter. Jovial and gleeful, just like the smile on her gunpowder-smeared face, and far unlike her usual dour and fatalistic attitude.

It seems she's actually having fun with this...

14. - Top - End - #734

[Stable 69]

"BWAH HA HA HA HA!" I cackled thunderously as I flapped my wings just right to lens the air and give my voice a sinister sounding booming reverberation. "You little foals think you can defeat me? Nightmare Moon!? You are nothing before my power! The night! Will last! FOREVER!"

Up above Gregor bucked a cloud and sent a lightning bolt lancing through the darkened artificial sky. I gave another flap to magnify the sound of thunder until it shook the ground under my hooves.

"No way Nightmare Moon!" little Helen yelled back. The filly's cutsinera wish had been pretty simple. She wanted to reenact a certain epic confrontation with her friends. "We're the Elements of Harmony and with the power of friendship we're going to stop you! Get her girls!"

And with that six young hippogriff fillies pounced on me. I did the only reasonable thing available.

I collapsed in a heap under a pile of giggling girls.

"Nooooo! Not friendship! I am undone!"
    I wheezed as the fillies ticked me with all their might.

A chorus of laughter sounded from the audience until at last Helen's mother stepped forward to call off the attack squad. "Alright girls, I think it's time to let Geneva-"

"Nightmare Moon!"

"-Nightmare Moon up," the older mare then added with a slight grin. "But isn't she Princess Luna now? You just saved her after all. And I think some bacon wrapped carrots would be a wonderful way to celebrate your victory."

There came a chorus of cheers from the fillies as they finally piled off me and dashed away in leaps and bounds to a low-hanging cloud where the food had been spread out.

"Thanks,"
    I managed as I hoisted myself up. "While they're busy I think I'll go change out of this silly costume. Wouldn't want anyone else trying to cleanse me now would I?"

With beat of my wings I took off toward my quarters in the upper reaches of the eyrie. The Stable was really quite nice. All wide open spaces for the most part with massive columns to support the ceiling. From the images I had seen the whole thing was shaped like a giant egg. Just one big egg waiting for the world outside to heal so it could hatch.

"Nice performance out there Nightmare Moon," Gregor snarked as he flew in along side me. "I wouldn't expect any less from my little sis."

As per usual I stuck my tongue out at him. "You're five minutes older than me. That hardly makes me count as 'little'."

"That totally counts! I'm the big brother, which means I always tease you about it. There are traditions to follow here, sis. We can't just buck an old trend like that all willy-nilly," Gregor retorted, waving a talon at me astonishingly.

I rolled my eyes at his antics. "Why don't you go help the foals with the zebra shooting? Show them some of your silly archery tricks."

Gregor fluffed his feathers indignantly. "They aren't silly! They're impressive and artful! You're just jealous that's my special talent is more interesting than yours."

That required another raspberry to be blown. Gregor grinning his usual grin before tucking a wing and dropping away to see to the party below. With a soft chuckle and a shake of my head I alighted on the could shelf outside my quarters and trotted inside. I sat down in front of a mirror to get a good look at myself.

The metal helmet looked quite silly. Especially with that weird horn sticking out of the front. The Princesses were the only hippogriffs with both horns AND wings after all. Every now and again a hippogriff would be born with a horn but no wings. They tended to have some really flashy magic that allowed them to toss stuff around with their mind or transform things. It was pretty neat to watch.

Off came the helmet and the fake horn along with it. Next came the silly black body-suit I was wearing. Glad to get the thing off. Much preferred my natural coloration after all. Bright golden brown plumage with coppery highlights around my eyes and crest. And dappled brown fur with white blotches on my featherless back half. My 'boring' cutie mark was plainly visible. A red arrow pointing down and a blue arrow pointing up, the tails of both spiraling around each other.

Hippogriff wind magic was my play thing. Air pressure, specifically. I was one of the talon-full of hippogriffs who worked hard to make the weather inside our home possible. And despite what Gregor said it wasn't a boring talent. At least I didn't think so.

I slipped back into my Stable barding and started to head for the door when I felt something... weird.

A small shudder through my footing. Weird. "An earthquake?" I muttered aloud as I walked to my balcony and gazed up at the dust and debris falling from the top of our artificial sky. Several other hippogriffs had already flown up higher to investigate. It wouldn't be the first time something had broken loose up there and required repair.

That's when a twenty foot wide second of the sky broke loose and fell. It crushed one of the janitors under its mass and ripped through clouds on the way down to the artificial turf far below. I could only stare in horror as I watched the rock descend.

"Oh Celestia... I think that was Peter..."
    I mouthed, still in shock at the sight of one of my friends getting swatted out of the air.

So much in shock that I didn't notice the black insectile things begin to fly through the breach.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hoofington

True to form, Open Heart claps her hooves onto her ears in the dim hope that she'd reach them before the cacophony began. Unfortunately, the didn't quite make it there in time, and her ears will probably ring a bit when the violence finally stops.

Using her tongue, she sets off a few short bursts at the raiders. While she's actually a decent shot when her conscience isn't begging her to miss, it's doubtful that they'll do much in comparison to what her player can only assume is the Equestrian equivalent of the Vindicator Minigun.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2013-04-03 at 01:02 AM.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Firbolg in the Playground

Fillydelphia

Finder's ready to put all of this business behind him.

Ponyville

"Considering all of this happened in one day, you could say we get plenty of visitors."

As for the question, Razoreye isn't going to tell her the obvious answer to the first part. They're supposed to be playing nice and laying groundwork. However, the second part. "You would be less conspicuous with armor on, yes."
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

17. - Top - End - #737
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Above Stable 69]

"We've cleared away more of the rock above the Stable's exterior."
    "Set the charges. Standard breaching procedure, locate the administration, purge the rest."
    "About that ma'am...from what we can tell, the shape of the Stable seems different."
    "Then we'll just ask for directions.
    Blow it. The office shouldn't be hard to find. I want this done quick and clean."

"Yes ma'am."

[Within Stable 69]

The Enclave didn't bother waiting for the dust to settle before they poured through the hole.

It was immediately apparent to them that this was a drastically different kind of Stable than they were briefed on.
    The atrium was in the wrong place, the shape of the area was all wrong, and there were things occupying it, that weren't the traitors they were told to expect.

A couple of confused voices travel over their internal comms.
    -"The hell are these things?"
    ~"Remind me of griffons but...wrong?"
    "Cut the chatter. Keep it to tactical. This is pest control, now get to work."

One of the more curious hippogriffs that had flown up to investigate the "earthquake", turns away from the horror of the crushed janitor before the others.
    The growing number of black-armored alien bugs that had just entered the Stable seemed to be hesitating inside the gap, looking around as if they were lost.

Maybe this was some kind of accident?
    A horrible, awful accident...

One of the bugs flies towards her, seeming more confident than the others. She starts to make a hesitantly friendly gesture, shortly before a bright flash of light erupts from the bug's side.

The MEW's impact leaves nothing more than the hippogriff's ashes to sprinkle down onto the party below.

Chaos is immediate.

The party dissolves in a cacophony of terrified cries and scattered fleeing, as children are hurriedly rushed out of the atrium towards the lower levels of the Stable. A few of the adults make the decision to buy them time, rushing up into the air to meet the invaders of their home.

-"Contacts below, all directions."
    ~"Rapid approach, neutralize."
    ="Systems clean and active."
    /"Opening fi-AUGH!"

A few turrets had rolled out of the architecture after the initial alarm, quickly enough sending a volley of MEW fire into one of the newer Enclave recruits. Even armored in their special suits, concentrated fire was still dangerous.
    There was a slight pop as various systems in the suit were overloaded by the magic surge, before the soldier dropped down in a lightly-smoking twist.

A quick series of orders are barked through the numerous soldiers, who spread out and keep their attention on the various hippogriffs, releasing a quick volley on the initial group of protectors, before quickly darting off to move deeper into the Stable.

Three of the more experienced in the group quickly work about attracting the turrets' attention before reducing them to little more than melted wrecks with energy-fire. They were familiar enough with the common Stable-defenses, they knew how this worked.

They also knew that in most Stables, such things were activated by the overmare, overstallion, admin, whatever name they bore for themselves. The same that had been overlooking their entrance from her office some distance away.

She was their next target.

The descent down through the egg-like Stable was quick and merciless, at first.

If there was a turret, it was fired upon immediately.
    If it moved and wasn't Enclave, it was fired upon immediately.

The soldiers kept their distance from the much-larger hippogriffs, putting the advantage of actually having proper weaponry to good use.
    This, however, was a short-lived boon, as mechanisms throughout the Stable began to pump warm cloud-stuff into the air.

Normally, such vision-obscuring would be handled with a quick visor-setting change, and that was that. But as warm as it was, a tool like thermal sight did very little to actually distinguish warm bodies from the surrounding air.

So they were forced to adjust tactics.
    The soldiers had to move closer to the walls, to regain sight on their targets.

Things became more complicated for the soldiers at this point.

-"I can't see ****."
    ="Visor settings insufficient."
    "Keep it tight, prepare for close-quarter. I want groups of three at all times."
    -"Ma'am."

Even with their greater size, the fights still hardly favored the hippogriffs.
    The Enclave were trained, armored, organized.

These mutant freaks were just big.

Spoiler
    Show
    -"Trail, get my back. Drift watch the hall."
    ="Two contacts. Big bird, little bird."
    ~"Child?"
    ="Just a smaller pest."
    ~"But..."
    -"All clear. Move out."

-"Room clear. Fall back to check-"
    ~"Holy ****."
    -"Ray? Situation!"
    ~"One...contact! Big bastard. Get...off...of...me!"
    -"Stratus, get back to the hall now!"
    ="We're coming, Ray!"
    ~"Can't...get him...off. Gonna try-"
    ="Ray?"
    -"Ray, report!"
    ="We gotta move, sir!"

-"Watch those hooves! That thing just fried Vibrancy."
    ="I'll show it fried alright. C'mere you ugly freak."
    -"Contact right!"
    ="Hah! What contact?"
    -"Hurry up, we're rendezvousing at the lower levels with others."
    ="Found their rally point?"
    -"They might be opening the Stable."
    ="They'll never make it."

Some of the bigger ones may put up a fight, but the Stable was doomed.

The small population of hippogriffs never stood a chance.
    Last edited by Chaotic Bob; 2013-04-03 at 01:55 PM.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

18. - Top - End - #738
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    "Considering all of this happened in one day, you could say we get plenty of visitors."

As for the question, Razoreye isn't going to tell her the obvious answer to the first part. They're supposed to be playing nice and laying groundwork. However, the second part. "You would be less conspicuous with armor on, yes."
    "I see. Then perhaps you could be a dear and bring me some? Not too much, mind you; don't tax your resources more than necessary."

Night Jewel relaxed a bit more. If he was truly being nice, she had nothing to worry about. If not, she intended to make him confess.

Quote Originally Posted by Drowlord View Post

He lifted his left wing as if he were about to get up and launch into flight. "If we need a lighter, I can provide one."
    "Thanks! Mighty kind of you." Bright Eyes dumped her wood in a pile. "Maybe I'm not as crazy as ponies seem to think, what with such cooperation around!"
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

19. - Top - End - #739

[Hoofington - Raider Raiding]

The Raiders were alert before.

Now they're diving for cover.

Pings and impacts sound around our heroes as the crazy ponies begin to fire back! A few try rushing toward the sound of gunfire with melee weapons in their mouths. Which... works out about as well as one might expect.

Slip positions herself behind the rubble pile and begins to kick it in rapid-fire succession, launching chunks of concrete off toward the Raiders at lethal velocity. Like the pony said, she's always got weapons under hoof.

Three Raiders who apparently have the least brain-damage take up cover behind a burnt out car and fire back with two varmint rifles and a pistol. They're hopelessly out-gunned.

[Stable 69]

At first I thought it was just going to be a tragedy. Peter was a kind old stallion. He had been on the janitor team for years, the senior staffer. One of the oldest hippogriffs in the Stable in fact. Everyone would be devastated that he died in such a senseless, random way.

Then the sound of magical death and wails of fear and pain filled the air.

I was almost too terrified to look, but I forced myself.

There were... things.

Smaller than a hippogriff. All black with strangely colorful misshapen wings. Like some sort of awful deformed insect. And they were armed, too. Mutants from the surface, maybe?

I didn't have much time to think about it before they began killing everyone. Killing everyone. Stallions, mares, nags, foals, it made no difference to these monsters. They moved with a cold efficacy, methodically burning everything alive in their path.

My stomach began twisting in knots around itself. If I fought I would die. If I fled I would die. If I tried to hide I would die. I needed something to buy time with. Something to disorient the monsters. Something like...

A thunder ball!

A magically compressed ball of pressurized air. Normally I used them as noise makers to amuse the foals. But this time...

I cupped my talons and began fanning my wings, packing air and magic ever tighter. Far tighter than what could be considered safe. I could feel the heat on my skin, feel the magic tingling like electricity along my primaries. Drops of condensed water began dripping out of the distorted sphere of air and sizzling on the floor.

I honestly had no idea how big of a bang this thing would make. But as my view beyond the room was obscured by a haze of cloud I let fly and clamped my talons and wings over my ears.

It didn't help. Much.

The world gave way to dull ringing as I felt my bones rattle inside me. Without sparing a moment I galloped toward the edge of my quarters and leaped into a free-fall. A snuck a quick glance over my shoulder to spy several disoriented looking bug-monsters before angling tight against one of the support columns to avoid their fire. My thunder ball had pulverized much of the cloud near my quarters and I needed to get out of sight fast.

So I did.

Thin the air in front of me. Tail-wind behind. Tuck the limbs and arch the wings just right for a dive. I knew this space. This was my home. I could fly the atrium with my eyes closed. Feel the disturbance in the air, bank left when a beam of pink death sizzled past. Extend a wing and roll over, one great wing-stroke toward the monsters to send a roaring vortex of wind racing up at them. Adjust the air current, increase the pressure here, decrease it there, arc away at a nearly ninety degree angle from my old path.

We never had that much room to fly. At least not if someone wanted to fly fast. I had learned quickly that if I wanted speed I had to have maneuverability, too. I learned to work the air around me like an artist works paint. I learned to create sublime tapestries of flowing air that carried me with a grace and speed unmatched.

Boring special talent.

HA!

No sooner did that thought cross my mind that my stomach began knotting up again. Gregor was somewhere out in that chaos. Or maybe he was already...

I gave my head a firm shake as I unfurled my wings wide and sent a powerful updraft blasting into them to cushion a landing that would have shattered every bone in my body otherwise. I hit the artificial turf in a roll and began to gallop toward the passage leading from the atrium to the lower engineering sections of the Stable.

There were plenty of places to hide down there. Places where those monsters wouldn't be able to use their energy weapons as easily in close quarters. And the exit to the Stable was down there too. The world outside might still be poisoned, but I would rather risk potential death from radiation to certain death at the merciless ministrations of whatever those... those things are.

I charged through the door just as there came a sickening snap somewhere behind me. I couldn't help but wince at the sound. I had known the exact distance from my roost to the floor. The monster chasing me however... The false grass covered floor proved to be quite unyielding to the creature's landing.

I didn't bother to look back. I honestly didn't want to. I hadn't ever killed anything before today. And so long as I didn't see what my actions wrought I hoped that I would be able to hold off the filthy feelings of guilt until I was safe.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Stable 69]

-"Did you feel that?"
    ="Felt like an explosion. Came from over there."
    ~"Careful, maybe they found some weapons after all."

The three soldiers parted as their CO moved up to them, straight to the Overmare's door.

"Status."
    "Locked as usual, ma'am. Just finished lining the charges."
    "Be quick about it. I want to catch the admin before all of the overrides are hit."
    "Ma'am."

The locks on the typical Stable office door may be sufficient to lock out the standard intruder, a Stable-dweller, or perhaps even a simple bandit who broke in.
    Generally, however, they do not outmatch the power of specifically prepared breaching explosives.

The Overmare is not given much time.

-"Ah, these things hit like Vertibucks."
    ="Don't hit so hard after a few stings, heh."
    -"That's terrible, Wear!"
    ="No, these things are terrible. 'Sides, we're probably doing them a favor. Most of these places were death traps anyway."
    -"How can you say that? They're still intelligent!"
    ~"Both of you can it. I think I heard something over there. Ready up."

Throughout the Stable, the trios of Enclave purgers continue their dark mission, either callously extinguishing the lives they find, or burying what misgivings lurk in their hearts at the orders of their superiors.

Approval is not unanimous, but orders must be obeyed.

-"Holy ****, pull up, pull up!"
    ="Idiots! Never go that fast when you can't see the ground!"
    -"Beryl? Hey...Beryl?"
    ="There's no way she survived that impact."
    -"But...she...she was the strong one..."
    ="Hey! Are you going to break down on me, or are we going to go kill the little **** responsible for this?"

As Geneva flees through the door to the lower level, two dark forms land a short distance behind.

One pauses, momentarily, at the immobile form of the soldier the hippogriff had (inadvertently?) tricked into the ground.
    After a sharp gesture from the second one, they both quickly move on towards the door.
    Last edited by Chaotic Bob; 2013-04-03 at 03:16 PM.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

21. - Top - End - #741
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drowlord View Post
    The Camp

"Its cool, I have one here, ol' Torchy,"
    Steel Creel said with a smile as Benson poked their nose in his profile and saw he had a lighter..and duct tape! He pulled out a slightly oversized lighter shaped for pony hooves to manipulate it.

Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post

"Thanks! Mighty kind of you." Bright Eyes dumped her wood in a pile. "Maybe I'm not as crazy as ponies seem to think, what with such cooperation around!"
    "Crazy? Who would think you're crazy? If anything you're cooool," Mags said with a toothy grin as she found a spot to sit down as Steel Creel lit the wood in the firepit to start their campfire.

22. - Top - End - #742

[Stable 69]

A game of hide and seek.

If I get to 'base' then I live.

If I get caught then I die.

My brother and our friends used to play down here all the time, ferreting ourselves away in little out of sight nooks and leaping out at each other. At least until we got old enough for PipBucks and figured out how to use the Eyes Forward Sparkle. When a piece of wrist-mounted arcano-tech can tell you right where somepony is hiding then suddenly the game loses most of its challenge. At least until we figured out a number of the technology's quirks.

I wasn't sure if those things were using technology like the PipBuck, but considering how surgically...

Right.

I couldn't risk it. I had to assume that they would know where I was. And I already had two hostile contacts tailing me. But I knew the layout down here. I knew where the door to the Stable was. And most importantly I had a head-start. Hopefully those monsters are slower than me because of those stubby little legs.

Down the steel walkways I clattered, passing through the guts of my home as cries of pain and the sizzle of magic echoed from the unseen. My heart was screaming at me that I was a coward. That I should be standing up to these things and dying to protect my home. But... I... I just couldn't do it...

I had to live.

I had to live. I had to get free. And hopefully others would have the right idea. These monsters knew what they were doing. We couldn't possibly stand against them.

My thoughts were jarred as I felt the hiss of steam on my face. I had been running through the bowls of the cloud generators without thought. Maybe I could use these...

I twitched an ear at the sound of metal on metal in the distance. The monsters are getting close again. I took a deep breath and spread my wings. And with a powerful beat I spiked the gas pressure in the largest of the pipes some distance away. I heard the sound of a rivet pop. Then another. And then I ran as fast as my legs could carry me.

A few seconds later I was tossed out in a sprawl when the steam explosion ripped through the underbelly of the Stable. Hopefully that would give those monsters pause...

I was getting close now!

Nearly to the Stable doors. Hopefully the Overmare had unsealed them so we could escape. It was our only chance at this point.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hoofington

As a few bullets whiz through the air around her, Chain Link suddenly stops firing. She instead tosses the heavy machine gun straight up into the air, releasing her telekinetic hold on the weapon as it flies skyward. Both her horn and the weapon cease to glow. For some reason, she seems to be halting her attack.

Chain scowls, and narrows her eyes. For a brief moment, her horn shines brightly, as she puts forth an immense magical effort. Off at the overpass, the car the three raiders are hiding behind is suddenly hit by a massive magical impact, as a burst of telekinetic might slams into the underside of the car, attempting to flip it over.

If successful, the magical attack should flop the car right over on top of the three raiders, squishing them like bugs.

Chain's horn goes back to its normal faint glow, and catches the belt-fed machine gun as it falls back down next to her, stopping it just before it hits the ground. She levitates it right back alongside her, and smiles, waiting to see if there are still enemies left to kill.

---
    Foothills of the Macintosh Mountains

It's a beautiful day along the edges of the San Palomino Desert. The clouds are a nice light-grey hue, the temperature isn't at "oh Celestia I'm melting" levels, and there are even a few rad-birds flying overhead and making their strangled warbling that's probably supposed to be some sort of singing. Yup, as far as days at the foothills of the Macintosh Mountains go, this day is very much a beautiful one.

Minus the vehicle of some kind that's plummeting towards the earth, trailing smoke and flame behind it. Some strange amalgam of black metal and poofy white cloud, it looks like some sort of airborne tank. The aircraft looks to be in a death spiral, though at the last minute it manages to pull out of its dive. It avoids a direct collision with the ground - but still strikes the earth. Hard.

The craft bounces back into the air in an explosion of dirt, sand, and broken metal. It falters through the sky, flames erupting from beneath and behind the aircraft; the cloud-banks that seem to be keeping it airborne quickly melt away, evaporating from the heat and damage.

The aircraft plummets back down to the earth, it's nose dropping slightly into the coming impact. The collision is violent, and the front of the vehicle practically disintegrates. The last remaining cloud-pieces explode in a shower of water and miniature lightning, and the shattered remains of the aircraft begin to violently tumble and spin.

The remnants of the craft roll several times, shedding pieces of armor, vital systems, and whatever cargo was held inside. A body is hurled from the vehicle, and then promptly crushed beneath the rolling mass of metal. The sky-tank rolls a few more times, before finally exploding. As the fireball rips through the craft, another body is hurled from the wreckage - their smouldering form is thrown clear from the wreckage, and is left unmoving in the sand. Another flaming blast tears through the sky-tank, creating a roaring conflagration that consumes the entirety of the craft.

A massive plume of smoke rises from the burning wreckage. There are no signs of life or movement, beyond the one smoking body. On a shattered piece of metal near the craft, a name is proudly emblazoned.

"Grand Pegasus Enclave."
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2013-04-03 at 06:43 PM.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Orc in the Playground

Rhys the Donkey sees the plummeting craft and makes his way over to it. It looks to be dead, or the equivalent thereof. He's walking rather than running, as running is more noticeable donkeys aren't particularly fast besides. He reaches over to where the haft of his axe protrudes from his wicker saddle-basket and gives a yank to ensure it's not caught on anything. His first order of business is to find the pegasus that fell out of the thing before it hit the ground. Then he'll look through it for anything that might come in useful.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hoofington

Heart lets loose a soft "eep!" as a random rifle round nearly grazes her neck. She lets off another quick burst of SMG fire, but it probably doesn't matter what with the raider-squishing.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post
    "I see. Then perhaps you could be a dear and bring me some? Not too much, mind you; don't tax your resources more than necessary."

Night Jewel relaxed a bit more. If he was truly being nice, she had nothing to worry about. If not, she intended to make him confess.
    Niceness is really relative. I mean, to make things perfectly safe they've got to have some nice hoofcuffs around here somewhere. Razoreye makes a snap judgement about the mare and how she operates. Night Jewel seems to be the manipulative type out to get what she wants.

"If you can get your own, I don't think you'll get along well here,"
    he states.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ettin in the Playground

Southwestern Equestria- Is there a sign outside that says dead pony storage?

Maul Steel nods his head and says "Right right...... You grab one of them, i'll grab the other." Before TKing the Warrior Bro. After making sure his grip is strong he begins to drag him back to the hidden underground ghoul prison.

[TAG Benson]
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post

Rhys the Donkey sees the plummeting craft and makes his way over to it. It looks to be dead, or the equivalent thereof. He's walking rather than running, as running is more noticeable donkeys aren't particularly fast besides. He reaches over to where the haft of his axe protrudes from his wicker saddle-basket and gives a yank to ensure it's not caught on anything. His first order of business is to find the pegasus that fell out of the thing before it hit the ground. Then he'll look through it for anything that might come in useful.
    (I edited the initial post slightly)

The first pegasus who fell out was crushed by the vehicle. They are very very much dead. The craft itself is a blazing fireball - it'll be impossible to salvage anything from it.

The pegasus who got blasted out of the craft is a slight distance away. Despite being slightly smokey, they look to to still be intact, though their appearance and condition is masked by a thick layer of ash, soot, and sand.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Orc in the Playground

In that case, Rhys will approach the pegasus that didn't have a flaming Vertibuck land on their head. He'll try to brush as much of the sand, dust and soot off as he can with his tail; he's not going to sacrifice any of his water on a pony that may be in the process of dying. Not when he's on the edge of a desert, anyway. Maybe if he were near a lake or something.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Foothills

Once cleaned up and dusted off, the pegasus is revealed to actually be fully intact. In fact, their uniform - dark grey dress fatigues, black combat boots, and a little cap - is mostly intact as well, though slightly singed in a few places. As for the pegasus itself?

"It" is actually a "she," and she's got a light blue coat and snow white mane. Her build is pretty sturdy and athletic - not too surprising, since she's presumably a soldier of some sort. Her wings look to be intact, though she likely lost a few feathers. Nothing that would hinder flight, though. She's got some bruises and scratches on the sides of her face, which looks kinda adorable by pony standards, but otherwise she seems to be uninjured. Well, aside from being knocked out cold, of course. But at least she's still breathing at a rather steady, normal rate.

There are a pair of dog-tags dangling from her neck. If checked, they will reveal her name to be "Dawn Break."