New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXVI: Applebloom to Zecora!

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    The energy generated by unicorn magic has waves and troughs, I it were measured. The vibration of griffonsteel vibrates (I want to say oscillates but I can't be sure that's not just my love of big words) such that it's troughs match the magics crests, and vise versa.
    That's destructive interference, if you want big words.

Under normal circumstances this just causes a chiming sound, occasionally interfering with the magic.
    If I understand you correctly, this is a beat, the warbling sound you get when two sound waves are just out of frequency with each other.

Thoughts?
    I like it a lot.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    This pony advertisement is recently popular in our TV. What do you guys think?

Swarowski's crystals, heh heh :P
    You know Friendship is Magic has officially made it big when you get commercial knockoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Though the more I look at Mutants and Masterminds, the more I feel that porting over to that system would make it much more feasible. Maybe.
    I'm an experienced M&M GM (2nd and 3rd editions) and while I don't really know Exalted, I did conclude that trying to port Scion over (I run M&M and play Scion on alternate weekends) was a mistake. Then again, that had mostly to do with how Fate and Legend work in Scion, so Exalted might be different (all I know is that I've heard Scion described as Exalted Lite).

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    And some sexy Pinkie and Rarity anthros
    Rarity and Pinkie with Garterbelt?
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

3. - Top - End - #393
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    As some have said, jump on in! If you need a place to start, I am looking for someplace to use my excellent clockwork pony [/shamelessplug]
    I would take you up on the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    My trick, is that while I do have a good handful of personas, they literally are all exactly me, differentiable from each other in that they are very VERY specific aspects of me and my life. I am the one who's spent the most time in my own head, heck that's where I spend MOST of my time it feels, so it's pretty natural for me to simple compartmentalize myself into the different hats that I wear on a day to day basis (which, ended up being the chief mark between myselves when I draw them). Like Ido, Ido wears his captain's hat of bemused confusion. Others, such as Zod, he's usually got his [Zod] gamertag floating above his head. Bossman took a while to find a good hat, but he eventually settled on the black and white Dr. Seuss hat he found that seemed to hold a +5 to his intimidate and serious business checks.

That said, I do have OCs that float around in the nether somewhere, but none of them are ponies, and I've had a darned difficult time thinking one up. I could try and import one over, it technically could work, but I don't think I'd be happy about it since it'd be an awkward execution, and I'd have to find a Bill's Hat level of justification as to why he's suddenly in the ponyverse

Ponysona... there is an opening for the brony aspect of m'self, but I put way too much work into it for that guy to show up any time soon ^^;; Maybe... maybe before season 3 I'll have decided on his name. Until then, I'll just look wistfully from the sidelines, and continue to let the other circles have their fun
    That's an interesting process, and seemingly quite removed from mine. Mine involves creating people I can't imagine the thought processes of, exploring them, and then, if they work, integrating them with the core. It's not so much refining myself as it is expanding on myself by making me think in ways I never considered before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Okay, here's the secret: all RP characters start out aspects of the interwoven tapestry that makes up your own personality. Take a little bit of one of those aspects - a seed, if you will. Plant that seed in the great garden of gaming, and let it grow by feeding it on interactions with other characters. Initially, when RPing the character, continually stop yourself and ask not "What would I do?" but "What would the character do?". Pretty soon you might find that some of the answers will surprise you, and the character will sprout and develop into full grown personality. You know you've made it when you're having arguments with the character that you've created. More than once when RPing I've stopped myself and said "You know, that's a pretty stupid thing to say or do" and the character has replied "You might think it's stupid, but it's what *I* am going to do."
    The seed part is the tricky part here (I think of it in terms of aiming/preparing conditions for momentum). I've got a method for it that works wonders for me, though. I give each character an Ideal - what their perfect world and enlightenment looks like, and then I come up with a flawed version of the Ideal that will lead them down the wrong path. And the characters literally write themselves from there.

And oh good, I'm not the only one who argues with his own characters (I might still be the only one who does it outside of the actual games though).

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Hey ponies!

I just caught up on Season 2 so far. Discord is awesome.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to follow pony thread for a while (like, four threads, I think). Since I'm not crazy SiuiS, I'm not going to go back and read all of that. Anything interesting happen then, or should I just file it away under "equine shenanigans"?
    YOU.

POST MORE.

YOUR AVATAR IS ADORABLE.

Ten quotes in (actually twelve, sorry Lix and T_Fox, might not get those back up) and decided to use the cleared window for something I've been kicking around. I'm also going to refer to folks by pony and not user name, for ease of me typing ;P

Griffon steel. Actually closer to iron, and not an alloy. Kept a secret by the griffons out of a combination of secrecy and antisocial tendencies, griffonsteel (a name which sounds more impressive in the original griffon, of course) is found only in the mountain range the griffons call home, and only in any appreciable amount beneath the main hall from which all of their lineages derive; Gryphonmont.

Griffonsteel reacts to pony magic be generating a similar effect, usually of opposite vibration. Unrefined, it quivers slightly when activated, becoming much more violent in it's motion when directly targeted or associated with the magic, especially that of a unicorn.

The energy generated by unicorn magic has waves and troughs, I it were measured. The vibration of griffonsteel vibrates (I want to say oscillates but I can't be sure that's not just my love of big words) such that it's troughs match the magics crests, and vise versa.

Under normal circumstances this just causes a chiming sound, occasionally interfering with the magic. In Gryphonic judicial systems however, it has a more sinister (for ponies) or practical (for griffons) application. A ring or twist or whathaveyou of griffonsteel applied directly to the horn of a unicorn almos entirely shuts down their magic. Any active use of magic is "conducted" throughthe metal, activating it at full power - the unicorn effectively grabs their own bone structure and violently shakes it, causing constant pain, disorientation, and vertigo. The disorientation and lack of coordination continue for a while afterwards, but most unicorns quickly find that not only is their magic disrupted to the point of uselessness, but it's use causes dire pain.

Ponies accused of crimes in griffon lands are almost always given a chunk of the metal to prevent escape. It can, if refined, actually conduct and even generate magic (which coincides nicely with Dromer's particle theory, actually) but the combination of griffons not saying anything unless asked, and the few surviving unicorns having bad associated memories, this valuable mineral goes unharnessed except by the most nefarious of criminals. And a certain GoC ninja pony.
    Thoughts?
    I endorse this because it means Jayden can have a guitar that she can play USING FIREBALLS.

Broaden the application beyond just unicorn incapacitation (Most unicorns aren't legitimate threats to griffons unless their special talent is battle specific) into general sound/vibrancy and think about the implications you can draw from that. Musical instruments, alarm systems, weaponry that deafens/scares off opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    This, this, a thousand times, this. The best character ideas I've had have sprung up as a character is being played. Seeing them in action, something about their personality and the situations they find themselves in just clicks and you suddenly start realizing backstory details that you just thought of, but totally have fit the character this whole time.

Also, name selection can go fall in a hole because it is a meanie meanie-pants.
    You know Jayden's original draft was as a gothic moe introvert? Boy she disabused me of that notion.

(I reconciled that dissonance by making that Jayden schoolgirl-Jayden)

I love name selection, and I love naming other people's things. It just involves defocusing your mind and playing word association, looking for sounds that work.

This is something I struggle with a lot with my characters, and something that is a major risk to including yourself in a character. Yes, every character starts with a speck of their creator, but that's all you want to add; a speck. Too much, and you find that your thoughts and your character's thoughts are similar 90% of the time. Which makes it incredibly easy to ignore that last 10% of vital character difference, and before you know it, you're just RP'ing as yourself. I've fallen into that trap numerous times, and only some last-minute character flaws that popped up as I was playing them kept them separate from me.

On a side note with that, it's also amusing to give your characters bits and pieces of an old personality of yours. Give them flaws that you overcame. It's easy to RP because you've actually been in their shoes, but it's also easy to keep their personality separate from you because you've spent so much time and effort not being like them.
    My approach works great for this. Characters become thought patterns rather than the other way around. See, the main challenge is understanding how a character thinks - and it's possible to understand how people think without being them, or liking them. Think about the people you know really well, like them or dislike them, and figure out how they think - great way to start building thought patterns.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Banned

Braz, honey. You tore out chunks of your own flesh with tweezers out of spite. You aren't allowed to be afraid of needles.

Kindablue, yeah, sort of. I had a general over-all idea, and though I love explaining things I found the more I delved into SCIENCE the more hokey it got, so I stopped. I'll try and get all technical on it though, just for you

@ anthros: wow. Artisitcally the rarity is fantastic. Thought one was "save for dissection". The Luna is nice, but too 12-year old girl to be wearing a see through chemise.

And something I found while looking for a (de)motivator for Nameless, which is now topical.

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: Thanwol, from experience, the chargen is the same between you and everypony else. You're just aware in the metasense that that is what you are doing and embrace the results. It's a language choice and awareness function.

On the griffonsteel, it's pony magic specifically. There are other applicIons I'm saving for future endeavors, and as very few ponies are into SCIENCE I'm leaving it's exact properties beyond already decided uses vague. Who knows? Someone with an actual understanding of physics might have a great idea.

5. - Top - End - #395

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    That's destructive interference, if you want big words.

If I understand you correctly, this is a beat, the warbling sound you get when two sound waves are just out of frequency with each other.

I like it a lot.
    It sounds like a combination of resonant frequencies AND destructive interference. Unless the griffonsteel is constantly vibrating on it's own, the use of magic triggers it to vibrate, and the vibration just happens to occur on such a wavelength that magic is disrupted rather than amplified.

Actually, if you want to steal an idea for a future twist, that property of the material suggests that, with a bit of tweaking by a suitably curious unicorn, the material could be altered to AMPLIFY magic rather than disrupting it. This would be a potent weapon for any unicorn battlemage.

Equestria's own "Manehatten Project" if you will

EDIT: added link FOR SCIENCE!
    Last edited by Eakin; 2011-10-05 at 06:13 PM.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

6. - Top - End - #396

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    These blind bags are incredibly intriguing for me. I was such a sucker for boosterpacks back in the day when I rocked the pokemon card scene, and that 20 minute window of time when my friend tried to get me into the star trek tcg. I probably wouldn't be able to resist buying at least one blind bag if I saw it on the shelves. I've got a good enough pokerface at the checkout line I think I could pull it off
    I've been thinking about just buying the twelve-pack.
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

7. - Top - End - #397

Huzzah, found an old wireless connector, so I can use my own computer once again! Loads a bit slower now, but hey, better than nothing at all. Looks like the problem was that the place I plug my "get internet" cord in is shot, so until I figure out a way to fix that, here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazen Shield View Post
    Guys. Guys I have to get a shot.
    T_T I don't wanna shot. I don't wanna....
    *bawls*

To make this post more pony friendly:
    I wonder if the ponies have a shot? Like a flu shot or a shot to numb pain?
    Eh, shots aren't too bad. Good luck though.

Equestria seems too much like an ideal world to have diseases, viruses and the like. Unless what we are seeing is a highly idealized version of it, and just off screen are sweatshops and labor camps.
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

8. - Top - End - #398
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Eh, shots aren't too bad. Good luck though.

Equestria seems too much like an ideal world to have diseases, viruses and the like. Unless what we are seeing is a highly idealized version of it, and just off screen are sweatshops and labor camps.
    Well, they have nurses and food poisoning...

Besides "A friend is sick" sounds like a good basis for an episode... Calling it now, some pony will have to have either their tonsils (probably a CMC) or their appendix removed at some point.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

9. - Top - End - #399

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post

Besides "A friend is sick" sounds like a good basis for an episode... Calling it now, some pony will have to have either their tonsils (probably a CMC) or their appendix removed at some point.
    Ok, you have me there. I suppose I should narrow it down to there being no terrible wasting sicknesses. For example, no bubonic plague, polio, influenza or the like. Sweetie Bell being sick is one thing, Sweetie Bell getting giant puss filled sores of liquid pain is something completely different.

Either that, or Equestria is a lot less of a utopia than we are shown. Perhaps the entire series is a propaganda reel by Princess Celestia to blind people of the great injustices of pony society.
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Guys! Guys! Guys!

I just watched an episode of MLP:FIM.

ON MY TELEVISION!!!

err... yeah.

Woohoo...

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Braz, honey. You tore out chunks of your own flesh with tweezers out of spite.
    Filing this under TMI.

Needles aren't bad, though. Or maybe that's because I was psychologically hardened against their terrors due to ongoing treatments to reduce allergic reactions in my early years...
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2011-10-05 at 06:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Kindablue, yeah, sort of. I had a general over-all idea, and though I love explaining things I found the more I delved into SCIENCE the more hokey it got, so I stopped. I'll try and get all technical on it though, just for you
    One day, man, one day you're going to open your door and get a frilly powdered glove to the face. And on that day, you're going to wish you hadn't made fun of Kindablue so much. But seriously, the physics of the real world don't have any place in a cartoon like this, obviously, and I'm not suggesting that, but you can use some of concepts and language from the real world to color the idea.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    I've been thinking about just buying the twelve-pack.
    Technically, that's just collector set. I think you miss out on 'character cards' and pony bags, though, had I have chance to buy that at that price where I live, I would, it's almost 2-3x cheaper
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

Knowing the show's humour. It'll probably something as benign as a hiccup. Mark my words, the one sick would probably be Pinkie Pie.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

new drawfriend time

Spoiler
    Show
    Role Reversal

Yarr!

D'aaaaaaawwwwwwww

and the grand Finale...this one NEEDS to be animated
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    new drawfriend time

Spoiler
    Show
    Role Reversal

Yarr!

D'aaaaaaawwwwwwww

and the grand Finale...this one NEEDS to be animated
    That last Fluttershy pic seems very off to me.

That said, Captain Apple Bloom to the rescue!

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    That last Fluttershy pic seems very off to me.

That said, Captain Apple Bloom to the rescue!
    Oh good, I'm not going to be the only one seeing that face in my nightmares.

I think it's something about the mouth and nose. The mouth is way too small, and the nose is too big.

That being said, d'awwww'd at the first Fluttershy picture.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Guys! Guys! Guys!

ON MY TELEVISION!!!

err... yeah.

Woohoo...
    Ohmigod! I did that once too! *brohoofs*

Ok, maybe that's a bit too excited but it was pretty cool getting to see the season premier on TV instead of Youtube. I thought I had missed it but it came on again immediately after. It was Saturday morning so my dad was out of the house otherwise I never would have been able to watch it without my him going all Hank Hill on me.

He'd have been all "Bwaah" and then "Son I am disappoint"

19. - Top - End - #409

Braz, honey. You tore out chunks of your own flesh with tweezers out of spite. You aren't allowed to be afraid of needles.
    THAT DISGUSTING THING WAS NO PART OF MY FLESH!!!

Wow. This whole conversation make me seem a little crazy...

To be fair, I tried suffocating it first but it just wouldn't die. I had no choice but to... handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Eh, shots aren't too bad. Good luck though
    The last time I got a shot (five years ago) I had a full blown panic attack. After which the idiot who gave me the shot told me I'd have to hurry it up cuz they neded the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Filing this under TMI.
    Sorry...
    Thank you ShadowySilence for the awesome policepony avatar!
    I love my filly~

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

Filing this under TMI.
    THAT DISGUSTING THING WAS NO PART OF MY FLESH!!!

Wow. This whole conversation make me seem a little crazy...

To be fair, I tried suffocating it first but it just wouldn't die. I had no choice but to... handle it.

Sorry...
    Honestly, I kind of want to know the rest of this. Otherwise, it'll just annoy the crap out of me...

But at the same time, I'm afraid to find out.

Nah, Pinkie being the one who gets sick is too obvious... I like the idea of Pinkie being the one that has to take care of the others after they get sick.

If it's an appendix, clearly, it need to be Dash, because she would be the most likely to show off the scar to gross the others out.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, I kind of want to know the rest of this. Otherwise, it'll just annoy the crap out of me...

Nah, Pinkie being the one who gets sick is too obvious... I like the idea of Pinkie being the one that has to take care of the others after they get sick.

If it's an appendix, clearly, it need to be Dash, because she would be the most likely to show off the scar to gross the others out.
    No, if you want to go by show canon, Twilight getting sick would be the most obvious one, her magic spurring on shenanigans.

*Hiccup*
    *Turns Spike into a tree*
    Uh oh.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

No, if you want to go by show canon, Twilight getting sick would be the most obvious one, her magic spurring on shenanigans.

*Hiccup*
    Uh oh.
    Everyone but Pinkie... And Rarity get sick?

I think they'd be be funnier as caretakers than they would as patients.

Twilight casting random spells, Fluttershy sneezing loud enough to rattle the windows, Applejack not able to work the farm and Dash being stuck in bed.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

On the griffonsteel, it's pony magic specifically. There are other applicIons I'm saving for future endeavors, and as very few ponies are into SCIENCE I'm leaving it's exact properties beyond already decided uses vague. Who knows? Someone with an actual understanding of physics might have a great idea.
    Speaking as a proud science-pony: I'll see what I can cook up...

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Actually, if you want to steal an idea for a future twist, that property of the material suggests that, with a bit of tweaking by a suitably curious unicorn, the material could be altered to AMPLIFY magic rather than disrupting it. This would be a potent weapon for any unicorn battlemage.
    I bet MatSci classes are a lot more fun in Equestria.

Filing this under TMI.

Needles aren't bad, though. Or maybe that's because I was psychologically hardened against their terrors due to ongoing treatments to reduce allergic reactions in my early years...
    I know that feel, bro.

----------------------------

Random pony RP, take one (Second Hand's introduction):
    Spoiler
    Show
    The day was warm and sunny, and the weather team had made sure there were no clouds in the sky, but on the road to Canterlot, at least one pony was oblivious to the weather's charms. Sitting on a little hill by the side of the road, Second Hand had pulled out his not-so-little bag of tools, and was working away intently with something that appeared to be attached to one of his rear legs. Closer inspection would reveal that it was the leg itself he was tinkering with, as one of the bolts had started to work lose, and replacements were hard to find.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

24. - Top - End - #414

Everyone but Pinkie... And Rarity get sick?

I think they'd be be funnier as caretakers than they would as patients.

Twilight casting random spells, Fluttershy sneezing loud enough to rattle the windows, Applejack not able to work the farm and Dash being stuck in bed.
    Sounds like Braz had a tick or some other type of small insect parasite and used tweezers to remove it... vigorously. Am I close?

Rarity taking care of other sick ponies would be awesome. She'd be so grossed out and afraid of contagion she'd put together some sort of incredibly fashionable biohazard suit
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ettin in the Playground

Sounds like Braz had a tick or some other type of small insect parasite and used tweezers to remove it... vigorously. Am I close?

Rarity taking care of other sick ponies would be awesome. She'd be so grossed out and afraid of contagion she'd put together some sort of incredibly fashionable biohazard suit
    I demand a biohazard suit Rarity now.

And also her in a Resident Evil crossover. Because you know Rarity as Jill Valentine would be hilarious.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

This is exactly what I'm hoping for, especially if we have cartoonishly mucous filled sneezes or upset stomachs.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #417
    Banned

It sounds like a combination of resonant frequencies AND destructive interference. Unless the griffonsteel is constantly vibrating on it's own, the use of magic triggers it to vibrate, and the vibration just happens to occur on such a wavelength that magic is disrupted rather than amplified.

Equestria's own "Manehatten Project" if you will

EDIT: added link FOR SCIENCE!
    Oh fine, ruin my future plot device with your pointing out my obvious contrivances

S has a constant blindsense function thereby.

Spoiler
    Show

each 'batch' has a subtly different frequency. All unicorns can activate any particular piece, but there is a difference in potency of up to +/- 10%.

When refined, and alloyed win other metals, it's properties can be grossly altered. It can also be magically refined, but it's much more time consuming, as without proper procedures, the unicorn working on it will just give himself a headache.

Pegasi can use it as well, with a much greater chance at low effect. It must be refined, at least magically, in all but the most talented of cases. Rainbow Dash, for example, could use it but it would just enhance her already-immersive attributes; speed and rainbow anima. She couldn't use it to do anything weather-related without expensive refinement, because she doesn't generate weather-related magic.
    Pegasi need the material close to the skin, and it only activates during extended or empowered flight when they use their latent magic. It also generates an anima banner as it channels the energies used. It may or may not diminish their power as they channel it into different venues.

Earth ponies are an interesting breed. They require the most modification of material for any benefit, but are also the ones least affected. For Pegasi and unicorns griffonsteel is a game changer. For earth ponies, it's hat optional supplement that could stand some more support and doesn't change their build at all.
    Due to it's properties, griffonsteel can only be used by an earth pony if it's a piercing or otherwise extends into the skin. Horseshoes would work, slightly, and are the go-to device for the occasions when the griffons have to actually suppress an earth pony's talents.

Specific uses, such as Thanqol's weaponry, would be unique to the pony and couldn't be mass produced; it would have to be alloyed properly, enchanted, and tuned to the specific pony's magical frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Guys! Guys! Guys!

ON MY TELEVISION!!!

err... yeah.

Woohoo...
    *brohoof*

The first time is always an experience. Ponies... So. Pretty. In. Big. Size. *droops hypnotically*

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    One day, man, one day you're going to open your door and get a frilly powdered glove to the face. And on that day, you're going to wish you hadn't made fun of Kindablue so much. But seriously, the physics of the real world don't have any place in a cartoon like this, obviously, and I'm not suggesting that, but you can use some of concepts and language from the real world to color the idea.
    man, that would suck. At that point I wouldn't even have had coffee; the glove would probably knock me senseless XD

And I was trying to say that, of the ponies who could apply science-y terms, I'm horribly unqualified. I mean, hay! I practice(d) holistic medicine, spinal fluid manipulation and shiatsu. I'm three chunks of quartz and one mismatched mythology away from being a hack.

28. - Top - End - #418

*Hiccup*
    Uh oh.
    Ummm... could you do that again Twilight? But maybe more in this direction? You know... if it's not too much trouble...

29. - Top - End - #419

Haha. Kinda. I'm going to let SiuiS tell this story. He was there and I'm sure his reaction to it is much too awesome for me to explain well. XD

Twilight sneezing magic around randomly would be awesome. If only to see who else she turns into a plant XP
    Thank you ShadowySilence for the awesome policepony avatar!
    I love my filly~

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

You've been having RPs of the spoiler'd variety for weeks with Raz_Fox for a while now. Except for the spoilers bit.
    T-those were... RPs?

Oooooooh. Okay. Yeaaaah. Those were, um, totally groooovy RPs. Which were fiiiictional. Yessssssssssss.

Okay, here's the secret: all RP characters start out aspects of the interwoven tapestry that makes up your own personality. Take a little bit of one of those aspects - a seed, if you will. Plant that seed in the great garden of gaming, and let it grow by feeding it on interactions with other characters. Initially, when RPing the character, continually stop yourself and ask not "What would I do?" but "What would the character do?". Pretty soon you might find that some of the answers will surprise you, and the character will sprout and develop into full grown personality. You know you've made it when you're having arguments with the character that you've created. More than once when RPing I've stopped myself and said "You know, that's a pretty stupid thing to say or do" and the character has replied "You might think it's stupid, but it's what *I* am going to do."
    Huh. I usually think of characters as being like blends, like recipes - a touch of this character, a dash of that character, some of this aesthetic, a little more of the quirky, and a little bit of me. But that little heart is hidden, and it doesn't come out except in the best characters.

I think my favoritest character I ever played on these here forums didn't become truly awesome until I discovered the little bit of me in him: his drive to protect his siblings, and to be the responsible big brother, despite his innate drive to hedonistic and wasteful ways. And then he just kept evolving from there, becoming the person that he wanted to be instead of the person that he was.

Once I figure out how to reliably replicate this phenomenon in my original fiction, I'll be in business.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    This, this, a thousand times, this. The best character ideas I've had have sprung up as a character is being played. Seeing them in action, something about their personality and the situations they find themselves in just clicks and you suddenly start realizing backstory details that you just thought of, but totally have fit the character this whole time.
    Indeed, indeed. You speak truth, good sire.

Life update, for those who care:

1. Wife came home from hospital this morning, and is okay but somewhat tired.
    Awesome, man! Truly and amazingly awesome!

Consider this an e-hug to the both of you! Or at least a hearty, cheerful slap on the shoulder, and an invigorating grin.

Note: invigorating grin might instead be creepy. No refunds.

2. I'm back at work, being harrassed by clients, and generally suffering the effects of acute sleep deprivation. Basically I feel like Applejack during Applebuck Season, except no baked bads, bunny stampedes, or launched co-worker incidents (yet). However, now that I think about it, I can't see a how a bunny stampede could *NOT* improve things around here... Note to self: find a way to make this happen.
    Not so awesome. What can be said but press on, stiff upper lip, and look forwards to the prize that is being run for. Don't falter, don't give up, and never surrender. Just keep running until you can run no more, and then keep running, though it costs you everything.

3. Ponies are still awesome.
    Preach it, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Strife Warzeal View Post
    You aren't supposed to be able to roast marshmallows with your hooves either, Applejack manages just fine.
    Spoiler
    Show

It's magic, I ain't gotta explain... You should know where that's going.
    Y'know, that's funny, it kind of looks like...

Applejack is Pony Wolverine.

Guys. Guys I have to get a shot.
    T_T I don't wanna shot. I don't wanna....
    *bawls*
    Look on the bright side in every situation, Miss Brazen.

At least I'm not the doctor administering the shots! Aha! Ahahahaha! Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

[color="green"]*brohoof*

The first time is always an experience. Ponies... So. Pretty. In. Big. Size. *droops hypnotically*
    My first time watching ponies on my massive TV was also my first time watching it with my siblings. It was also the original airing of The Best Night Ever.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.