New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXVII: God Has Nothing to do With This

I think, at best, I'd be some kind of a variant of the Silent Bob. Probably one with significantly less emphasis on me actually talking.

Is there a trope for lurkers? I think I could fit under 'the Lurking Bob' or something.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXVII: God Has Nothing to do With This

What's the male equivalent on a femme fatale? Dude Deadly? Because I am a guy, contrary to my icon.

Curly, just wait until you meet their other brother.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    Those Two Guys: Oracle Hunter and Domochevzky
    Ouch, I had not realized my cred had fallen so far in this here thread!

Perhaps we can work our way back up to Those Two Bad Guys status

EDIT:
    @SaintRidley - how about The Dandy?

I suppose it depends on what kind of attributes LaughingMan is building his Trope Titles off of.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2010-09-16 at 04:05 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

4. - Top - End - #544
    Troll in the Playground

Might as well.

Name: T-O-E
    Started Reading: Insults to the comic across various forums and John Solomon's blog (a year or so after it was posted.) I tried to read it after growing bored of CAD mocking but couldn't be bothered with the large archive so I just started at the latest arc. This was during the water caller bit of Maltak, I remember. It made no sense to me then and I abandoned it after a few strips.
    Joining GiTP Thread: Uh, June of last year.
    Starting Disposition: Very negative. Some of the comic not as bad as I'd imagined it to be. Pleasantly surprised. I got to Maltak and it made a bit more sense. A bit.
    Time to Convert: There was no conversion. I've always assumed it was bad.
    Current Stance: Now I know it's bad. Gets increasingly worse and hamhanded, old quality is sacrificed for nonsense and intriguing ideas are consistently mangled.

Anti Hero: T-O-E
    what
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2010-09-16 at 04:06 PM.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Barbarian in the Playground

Male Femme Fatales would be Anti-Heroes, Ridley

Oracle_Hunter, maybe if you finished The Unsuckening arc for Maltak, you'd redeem yourself

Also, LaughingMan, you are awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Gort, Lord of Hellfire
    Pah! No door will stand in the path of Gort!
    Avatar is "Red King" Gort, shamelessly ripped from Darken.

Badges of Honor
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by MountainKing
    You're a horribly person
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    This is actually really good advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    Nobody expects the Usurpation!

6. - Top - End - #546
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fixed you, Saint Ridley. I also added T-O-E.

Khosan, I'll deal with you and your kind later.

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E
    what
    Dude, you can be pretty harsh sometimes.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2010-09-16 at 04:08 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post

Perhaps we can work our way back up to Those Two Bad Guys status
    *checks watch* ...tik tok, Oracle Hunter. Tik tok.
    (You're dragging me down! D: )
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2010-09-16 at 04:11 PM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

8. - Top - End - #548
    Troll in the Playground

This recent plague of Snarker Index updates have made me realize I don't have one. So let's fix that:

Name: Even Human
    Started Reading: Linked from another webcomic I read, ages and ages ago. I can't quite recall, but I think it was sometime around Visions of Doom. Maybe a bit later.
    Joining GiTP Thread: *Looks at join date* Uh, Jan 2009. But I lurked for a good year prior to that. At least.
    Starting Disposition: Liked it. Or liked the archive trawl, it's hard to say. Over time, DD became one of those webcomics that you read because it's in your bookmarks and it's easier to click the link than delete it.
    Time to Convert: I discovered this thread. And Stip Slays: The Best Thread Ever.
    Current Stance: I read it so I can keep up with the thread(s). Sometimes I genuinely chuckle, but usually it's at stuff Mookie didn't intend.
    There we go. I'm gonna go ahead and ask for the Recurring Extra position on the Snark Rangers lineup.

Edit:
    Interesting choice. I can't seem to escape from that, even on the anonymity of the internet.
    Your avvie may have something to do with that. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2010-09-16 at 04:14 PM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Orc in the Playground

Psst Laughingman, I'm still on the Snark Side despite my optimism. I'm just cheerful about it.
    By your categories I should be a Long Runner (since I've been around since the giant thread), even if I'm at best recurring. =P

No complaints about the archetype though.
    Last edited by Doompuppy; 2010-09-16 at 04:17 PM.
    Not a robot

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

On a slightly more serious note: I do hope Mookie gets back to plotting at some point. You know things are getting bad when the Snarkers are spending more time indulging in OT whimsy than contemplating the comic.

And really, what is there to contemplate? Sure, today's comic was executed in a manner approximating competence, but why does it exist? There has been no build-up for this tentacle mountain, no set-up for its actual import - and no explanation how/why TIM is using it to suck power from Hell!

He had long ago broken his contract with Karnak - and presumably kept his power via this "artifact" he stole from Karnak. Now he has superpowers from The Far Realm plus Greg's White Magic - none of which was explained either!

Heck, I suspect that the only reason these last few pages have been low on dialogue is because Mookie is sick of writing dialogue

I...I can't even get a decent rant going. To quote Scott Pilgrim - "this is... so... boring."
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

11. - Top - End - #551

OT whimsy you say
    The very devil you say.

Name: rocketpony
    Started Reading: I can tell you the first comic I saw. It was this sucker here, which the kid next to me was reading. Read up to that point, and stopped. Don't remember why.
    Joined GitP Thread: Twenty-six? I was lurking for pretty much the entire Wild Edge! arc.
    Starting Disposition: "Wow, these stories seem to get resolved pretty abruptly. By deuses and their machinas."
    Time to Convert: I found the LJ community around where NutPunch Island happened. These guys were tearing it apart. I had no idea such a thing existed on the internet.
    Current Stance: Read it for the snark.
    Also haha action girl? You assume a competency that I've yet to evidence! Also, technically, I'm a dude. BUT THANKS TO THE POWER OF THE INTERNET, we can sweep that under the rug and pretend that I look like my avatar in more ways than just my smashing headgear.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

12. - Top - End - #552

Awesome lists
    Wait, why am I on Mookie's side? I'm pretty sure Lord Khaine is the only fan still posting here (barring whoever is actually Mookie, of course.)

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

Anti Villain: Mookie
    Haha! I love it!

Not sure what I think of my own role - mostly, I'm not sure I deserve it. However, I do tend to end up as Team Mom in real life, so I guess I can't really protest
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Ignition View Post
    This is how Rule 34 is born, you know, saying stuff like this out loud on the internet We know exactly who to blame when this shows up on 4chan now, haha.
    Got some bad news for you there, skippy.
    I'll give you a clue: The problem lies with you using the future tense, and not past....

And really, what is there to contemplate? Sure, today's comic was executed in a manner approximating competence, but why does it exist? There has been no build-up for this tentacle mountain, no set-up for its actual import - and no explanation how/why TIM is using it to suck power from Hell!
    That.... is actually a good point, and opens up an even better one: How did the tentacle-mass get there in the first place?

I don;t mean physically, whether it grew like a mushroom or something, I mean conceptually.
    TIM hasn't been to Hell - probably not ever, though as we have never seen an Infernomacer enact the bargaining process I can't say that for sure, but certainly not since he returned from the Outer Realm, by which point he'd been infected with Snuggliness and there's no way that would have gone unnoticed.

While that was occurring, Hell has been fundamentally revamped in the meantime.
    The Demon Lords are gone, their power lost and their connections to the other realms severed - there are no 'back doors', so to speak. The landscape has been blasted and reformed so as to be almost unrecognisable (at least, in terms of landmarks and such - it's still infernal, I guess) thus closing off or at least massively altering any 'physical' entrances to the place. Even the very nature of the place has been changed - it is now the personal playground of King Karnak, rather than a battlefield between vying factors and the souls within are more like scared refugess than the collateral chaff that they were previously.

What I'm getting at is, TIM has no connection with Hell. At all. His power only ever came directly from his deal with Karnak even before he gained omnipotency, but never the landscape or the 'untapped' power that lay within.
    So how does that equate with Snuggly getting a foothold in Hell? Either it went through TIM - and as such would find itself directly impeded by Karnak himself as it had to go directly through him - or it got to Hell through other means, which means it doesn't need TIM at all and he's just hanging around, grossing people out with his eye-stuff because.....?

I don't get it. Snuggly needs TIM to get to Hell, and yet that method seems to have virtually nothing to do with him.

Long Runners (i.e. Since Snowsong)
    Oh! Oh! Dibs on Nightmarefuel Station Attendant!

"Don't cry Clone-Grey, mama's here. M-mam... mama's here....."
    Last edited by Wraith; 2010-09-16 at 05:48 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

15. - Top - End - #555
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

On a slightly more serious note: I do hope Mookie gets back to plotting at some point. You know things are getting bad when the Snarkers are spending more time indulging in OT whimsy than contemplating the comic.
    Off topic? Us? HA!

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Dominus is evil. He is cold, cruel, sociopathic, anti-social, potentially psycopathic and megalomaniacal. His reluctance to be hurt in any fashion is second only to causing the most pain to those around him. Hence his almost death in Into the Woods.
    Heh. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy crap, I'm The Lancer? Here was me wondering if I was even going to be mentioned because I don't post on the threads that often anymore.

Though I think Snowsong was before my time here.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2010-09-16 at 06:06 PM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

At least you have cred
    Just lurking really isn't the way to stardom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

18. - Top - End - #558

GnomeWizardGuy

Heck, I suspect that the only reason these last few pages have been low on dialogue is because Mookie is sick of writing dialogue
    To be fair, the last few pages have been featuring Karnak's silent, faceless tame death knight.

Some say he once beat up a cripple with his own walking stick, and that once he hung a dozen orcs because it made the perfect birthday present. All we know is, he's called The Sig.

For me, I'm already fatigued because we've been down this road ad nauseam. The whole of 2010 has been Mookie's pet fetish arcs - in order: bewbs, metal & gory imagery, weird beasts & gory imagery, and now nudity & gory imagery. Even though I suspect this arc might have some plot significance and the nudity and gory might be somewhat justified due to it being hell, I'm tired of all the death and tentacles.

@LaughingMan: Nice use of Tropes, but I'm a fake Hero. I'm not even a Long Runner; I started reading during the Oracle Hunter arc. By GiTP threads that meant I started posting in thread 2. Geez these things fill fast.

19. - Top - End - #559

Quote Originally Posted by Welf von Ehrwal View Post
    At least you have cred
    Just lurking really isn't the way to stardom.
    I said I'd handle Khosan and his kind later.

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    I'm not even a Long Runner; I started reading during the Oracle Hunter arc. By GiTP threads that meant I started posting in thread 2. Geez these things fill fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post
    Though I think Snowsong was before my time here.
    You two are inbetween Snowsong and Matlak, so I stuck you in the former camp.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2010-09-16 at 06:42 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

20. - Top - End - #560

Imp

I want a trope...
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

21. - Top - End - #561

RedWizardGuy

Well, i'm still lurking in this thread, and remain roughly even between liking the comic and the snark. Althought i side with Kaine a few times, and don't really get bothered by the assshots or the anatomical errors of the comic.

But i agree that Luna's dragon was ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"

22. - Top - End - #562

Alright. If no one pops out of the woodwork, I believe that's everyone.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

23. - Top - End - #563
    Orc in the Playground

Have I even posted in this thread? You know how Maltak killed off (or at least seemed to kill off) scores of snarkers? That's what these mini-arcs are doing to me. They are killing my will to snark.

But the really terrible thing is, I've always maintained (probably privately, as lurkers are wont to do) that Dominic Deegan OFH would benefit from Mookie taking the time to focus on the lives and arcs of characters aside from his main Sues. And then he finally does explore the lives of other characters, and it turns out the man is incapable of not writing a Sue-ish protagonist.

Maybe this arc will be different...

24. - Top - End - #564

Alright. If no one pops out of the woodwork, I believe that's everyone.
    ...and here I thought I was famous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    This. This is the best thing that has ever happened in all 34 threads, ever. This has made every single second spent on Dominic Deegan not wasted time. Every time I stayed up to see the sneaky gate, every rage-filled post I've ever made, every time Mookie's writing has caused me physical pain - so, so worth it.

25. - Top - End - #565

Quote Originally Posted by TamerBill View Post
    ...and here I thought I was famous.
    Goddammit.

EDIT: Added you and the other person as Those Two Guys because I don't really know you.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2010-09-16 at 07:47 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

26. - Top - End - #566

GnomeWizardGuy

Early Link to Comic, so it's not forgotten when it goes up for reals.

For anyone wanting new DD discussion there's a sneaky gate up (secret link), but there isn't much to say; it's basically what I expected.

Although it does reveal the secret identity of The Sig...
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's Nimmel Fenix!

More meta discussion until next week, then?
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2010-09-16 at 07:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #567

Siegfried, what'd they do to you?

And also, if that mask was a mind controller, then baflglksjng
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2010-09-16 at 08:00 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

28. - Top - End - #568

The Seer (tee hee): Palmer

That's strange. I feel like, guiding.

Oh, and there's a Sneaky Gate, I never noticed it before but Sigs seems to be covered in those tiny black polygons.

Edit: D'oh!
    Last edited by Palmer; 2010-09-16 at 07:51 PM.

29. - Top - End - #569

Oh, snap.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Siegfried became an orc! A pre-pig nose orc!

And I'm the sixt ranger! I get most of the cool gadgets!
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

30. - Top - End - #570

Quote Originally Posted by Webox View Post
    Oh, snap.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Siegfried became an orc! A pre-pig nose orc!
    I think that's Mookie's attempt at dramatic irony, but it just ends up as Narm. Y'know, as usual.

"That'll do, Sieg. That'll do."
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2010-09-16 at 08:42 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf